People shoving food in your face...ugh!

Options
This is why I hate going out to friends houses. They've made this wonderful new dish that you just have to try! You don't want to be rude and refuse, but you know that if you have a problem with moderation after taking a bite of something delicious, it's hard not to overeat. We are going to a Halloween party friday night, and if it wasn't for my little boy, I wouldn't even go. My friend has a little boy, and he plays with him. She's one of those bubbly kind of girls that put's a spoonful of food to your mouth and says, "oh, you have to try this, it's delicious." She's also the kind of girl that will tell you you're not fat, when it's obvious you are. I would just tell her off, but I'm a peacemaker, and I don't like to cause scenes. What would you do? Wow, I just realized that this sounds like a Dear Abby column!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead:

Do a little more exercise that day
    Have smaller meals earlier in the day
    Give yourself a pre-set calorie goal for the party

Most of all - don't be afraid to say NO. YOU (no one else) has the ultimate say-so in what goes into your body.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just skip lunch or breakfast that day to make up for going over a bit at the party.

Or don't let other people determine what you eat....
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thank-you juggernaut. Good advice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just say no or you're not feeling well or you ate too much at lunch and you're still stuffed etc.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate going out to friends houses. They've made this wonderful new dish that you just have to try! You don't want to be rude and refuse, but you know that if you have a problem with moderation after taking a bite of something delicious, it's hard not to overeat. We are going to a Halloween party friday night, and if it wasn't for my little boy, I wouldn't even go. My friend has a little boy, and he plays with him. She's one of those bubbly kind of girls that put's a spoonful of food to your mouth and says, "oh, you have to try this, it's delicious." She's also the kind of girl that will tell you you're not fat, when it's obvious you are. I would just tell her off, but I'm a peacemaker, and I don't like to cause scenes. What would you do? Wow, I just realized that this sounds like a Dear Abby column!

That spoon full didnt make you overweight or hurt your weight loss journey

It is all the things we eat next to it...and more and more and more

Just try to plan indeed what juggernaut says littlebit more exercise that day etc

Go a day to maintaining level ( i did this, my favorite option lol)
    And next day back on track.

And indeed your body not theirs say NO ones in a while. I did lots of times. Specially when i knew there was a lot of salt in the food that i can not have.

95069916.png
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Just say, "No thanks". And take a step sideways. You are in charge of what you eat and it's not rude to say, "No thanks".
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If she is your friend why can't you explain to her how you feel?
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Politeness is overrated. You not gonna lose any friends (real ones anyways) if you will straight up refuse a snack once in a while. The word "no" does not cause scenes or fights, if they are attacking you or causing a scene because you say no to food there is something wrong with your fiends.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    No one can make me eat food that I don't want. Same for you, OP. It's NOT rude to politely decline. You can say thank you, you aren't hungry right now, but you'd like to take a bit with you to try later. Or say no thank you and leave it at that.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I see so issue. Free food > food you have to pay for. Just work it into your calorie goal.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    If she is your friend why can't you explain to her how you feel?

I have, but it does no good. The reason I still keep in touch with her is because her son and my son are friends. We used to be neighbors.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Just say no. If she is offended those are her issues, not yours. On the flipside, as others have said, one spoonful isn't going to derail your process, or perhaps take those calories from someplace else (smaller breakfast/lunch, no snack that day). Just make sure the decision is yours, and not influenced by how others will feel.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Just say no thank you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    social situations aren't going away...a big part of the process of learning good livin' is learning how to properly deal with social situations.

i'm a pretty social guy and get together with a couple of my friends pretty much weekly...always there is food and drinks...i plan appropriately. if i know i'm going over to my buddy's house, i'll generally keep breakfast pretty light...lunch as well...usually it's a Saturday so i generally get a ride in and/or some lifting at the gym. i know when i get over there that i have plenty of wiggle room.

beyond that, i've learned that i don't have to eat all of the foodz just because they are there. it's perfectly acceptable to have a taster...or even to say no thank you to something...if people get offended (which I've never experienced), that's on them. also, don't hover around the food...i will generally take a plate and get what i want, grab a beer or a glass of wine and go out to the patio or the living room or wherever people are congregating besides directly by the food.

IDK...i've been doing this good livin' thing for over three years now...my friends know what i'm all about...i don't have any issues just trying some stuff or saying, "no thanks"...or just going to town if that's what i feel like doing. nobody gives me any grief considering that among my friends i'm in the best shape of anyone (excluding my coach)...and they all know how i came to be this way.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    thanks for the support guys. I know some of you may not feel this way, but to me, social eating is just as bad as social drinking. The temptation is really big. I will eat less during the day on Friday, and maybe have a boiled egg or something filling before I go, to prevent overeating.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Just say you've become gluten and dairy intolerant and you need a special diet. Perhaps you're on a free-range vegan fed chicken only diet.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Say no as many times as you need to.
    Say things like "It sure looks/smells delicious but I am not hungry at all." " I'm not hungry right now... maybe I could take some home for later."

Change the subject from food to something else. She probably just wants to hear nice things so compliment her on her cooking, house, costume, decorations, etc.

Ask for the recipe (so you can log it later). The food may not be as bad calorie wise as you think.

Take smaller portions and eat slowly.

Take food to share that you feel comfortable eating.

Save some calories for the event. Eat lightly before the event. Do some extra exercise.

Eat at maintenance level that day.

Be busy doing something and moving around. Take pictures, dance, play with the kids, help to clean up, talk to people, walk around the yard or neighborhood.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Just say you've become gluten and dairy intolerant and you need a special diet. Perhaps you're on a free-range vegan fed chicken only diet.

Please don't do this. Lying about allergies makes things worse for those who actually have them. People will see a person claiming to allergic to Somethjng and assume it is safe for someone else who is allergic and can create a dangerous situation.

Just say no thank you.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    Great advice Lounmoun. Thank-you so much.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Please don't do this. Lying about allergies makes things worse for those who actually have them. People will see a person claiming to allergic to Somethjng and assume it is safe for someone else who is allergic and can create a dangerous situation.

Just say no thank you.

Thank-you. I appreciate the advice.