I've never seen a persons daily meal include junk food.

Options

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I make things like protein fluff, or if I want oreos, instead of eating 6 I'll crush up ONE in greek yogurt. I read a lot of labels in the grocery store and look for gems. I found some very thin sugar cookies that have 160 calories for 10, I usually add 3 to some zoats (oats bulked with zucchini) or a little ice cream/frozen yogurt. Today I added them to some canned pumpkin with Walden Farms zero calorie pancake syrup.

A good example...tonight I had popcorn pre-logged to my dessert. I noticed my fat intake was low so instead I went to the store and bought pork rinds, which I love. I replaced the popcorn with something fried and it actually helped me hit my goals.

Holy crap! That sounds good! You are my foodie hero >:)
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Junk food isn't really something I crave all that often, but last night I had a chocolate croissant and the night before that I had 5 minute mccain french fries. I try to eat either eat what I'm craving or enjoy but within my daily calorie allowance. Sometimes I save up my calories during the week so I can really enjoy something on the weekends...like this weekend, the Canadian Thanksgiving :-) Bring on the stuffing!!
  • kerrreee
    kerrreee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is something that is weighing heavily on my mind today; some days I have a big task at work but I feel like my brain *will not function* without a slice of banana bread. I've tried fruit, water, going for a walk, other similarly carb-ey (but lower calorie) snacks but nothing else will do when I'm in this state. I recently got a scale for my office and so I was able to get an accurate calorie count for the bread I just ate; 554 calories! But I *do* feel better! Just going to log it and hope that I can make better choices the rest of the day....
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    I certainly do!

I try to save snacks until after dinner once everything else is logged and then anything left over is for snack-time. That way I don't risk wasting dinner calories on something I won't find filling.

This is usually my strategy. If I have a couple hundred calories left after dinner I will weigh out a serving of ice cream (lately bunny tracks, 140 cals per half cup) and savor every bite.

However, today was my work Halloween party and I ate 3 cookies and a few mini chocolates. This left me with less calories than usual for dinner. Not ideal, but you make it work.

Just like life, eating healthy is about balance. If you have problems with binging or moderation, preportioned chips, cookies etc are your best friend :)
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many people claim that they eat whatever they want, as long as they stay within their calorie limit, but I've never actually seen a sample diet that included junk food, i.e, cookies, chips, etc. Do any of you guys diaries include junk? The reason I'm asking, is because I find it really hard to stay on a diet that doesn't include at least some of the foods I love. I become grumpy, and just kinda depressed in a way, because junk food makes me feel good, if only for a little while. I would just love to know that I'm not the only one that thinks like this. I cannot manage, however, to just eat junk in moderation, without totally binge eating on the stuff. Do any of you have a way to incorporate sweets into your diet, without ending up on a binge? What's your secret, so to speak?

I include & log sweets every day. I decided before
    Starting on mfp that the only way I was going to get to my goal weight and stay there was if i could include in moderation the treats that I love. I had some problems with having a binge night about every two weeks when I first started here. But I think I have it figured out now, since I seem to feel in control for the last two weeks. What worked for me was PLANNING my treats. So now in the morning when I'm having my coffee I pre-log my treats for the day. It gives me something to look forward to and also allows me to watch my calories the rest of the day to stay within my calorie goal. HINT:if a certain food sends you on a binge, do NOT keep it in the house. I love microwave popcorn and usually eat two bags at a sitting, but they are 100 calorie bags totally manageable. But vinegar chips--can NOT have them in the house.
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    My junk food is Newcastle, and yes I log it
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Haven't read the 7 pages before - yeah, I eat junk food sometimes. I don't feel bad or guilty about any of the food I eat, fwiw.

But I do go over my target every day that I do that, because the macros of the junk food I like just suck for satiety. ("Planning around it" doesn't help for hunger.) And I refuse to sleep hungry - I actually can't sleep when I feel hungry - so I eat more food. And I also am not keen on making the other days of the week harder to make up for it, bc that's stressful and less attainable than starting fresh the next day.

I was able to eat a lot more McDonald's and still lose when I was able to work out more intensely, fwiw (cardio). Without that buffer and on a lower target, it's not possible for me to lose consistently AND have ~800 calories for a lunch of a quarter pounder with cheese and medium fries. And that's what I want, when I want junk.

I've had a few too many days like that, so I'm going to be more careful about this.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many people claim that they eat whatever they want, as long as they stay within their calorie limit, but I've never actually seen a sample diet that included junk food, i.e, cookies, chips, etc. Do any of you guys diaries include junk? The reason I'm asking, is because I find it really hard to stay on a diet that doesn't include at least some of the foods I love. I become grumpy, and just kinda depressed in a way, because junk food makes me feel good, if only for a little while. I would just love to know that I'm not the only one that thinks like this. I cannot manage, however, to just eat junk in moderation, without totally binge eating on the stuff. Do any of you have a way to incorporate sweets into your diet, without ending up on a binge? What's your secret, so to speak?

I include & log sweets every day. I decided before
    Starting on mfp that the only way I was going to get to my goal weight and stay there was if i could include in moderation the treats that I love. I had some problems with having a binge night about every two weeks when I first started here. But I think I have it figured out now, since I seem to feel in control for the last two weeks. What worked for me was PLANNING my treats. So now in the morning when I'm having my coffee I pre-log my treats for the day. It gives me something to look forward to and also allows me to watch my calories the rest of the day to stay within my calorie goal. HINT:if a certain food sends you on a binge, do NOT keep it in the house. I love microwave popcorn and usually eat two bags at a sitting, but they are 100 calorie bags totally manageable. But vinegar chips--can NOT have them in the house.

I agree with keeping triggers out of the house, or buying single-serve portions of that stuff, or having it only outside.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My diary is full of junk. But since I'm so active, The calories (sometimes not the macros) are under my goals for the majority of the time.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have pizza, cookies, chips, frosting (yep love a tablespoon of chocolate frosting every once in awhile) etc on my diary. No one way am I cutting out the good stuff. I just work my calories around it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Yes, and it's public, so you're welcome to view all two months (and the SIXTEEN pounds I've lost as a result) even if you don't friend me. I had what amounted to 4 chocolate chip cookies today. CICO is king.
  • steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options

That's the thing.. I changed the word "diet" and just call it "life". When I was dieting and always trying to eat healthy, I would "be good" for about 3 or 4 days and then totally binge and eat 6000 calories. I'm not even exaggerating. I learn that the more you track the foods you eat, including sweets, the more you understand which foods are the lower calories, understanding portion sizes, and ending up reaching your goal every single day. My secret is fail. Yes it's okay to fail, because each time you do that you become stronger. So fail a lot if necessary! It'll become easier. Just don't deprive yourself if it's not necessary. Good luck!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Stick to CICO and eat what you need to keep the cravings at bay. I agree with keeping your triggers out of the house if possible. And overall I don't crave the really crappy stuff the way I used to, but now and then eat a few giant macadamia nut cookies or something as useless in the nutrition category.

Now and then we go do the food trucks at local breweries. I usually just bike hard in the morning and bank calories so I can go eat BBQ or whatever and have a couple beers. Works for me, I don't mind earning a splurge now and then.
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Im eating a chocolate fudge brownie right as I speak. I ate half last night and and now I'm eating the other half. I definitely cannot give up junk food. There is a balance to it. yesterday I also ate an egg mcmuffin from mcdonalds (only 300 cals) and then a nice healthy salad for lunch... and then a sensible dinner.. and finally my fudge brownie. I went on a short 5 min jog and then walked briskly for about 15 mins. I also had lots of coffee sweetener and a handful of M&M's yesterday. I don't eat like this every day... but I definitely can't go more than a day or two w/out some kind of "goodie".. So far treating myself to about 100-300 cal worth of sweets a day is working for me. 10lbs down and I have not felt deprived, and have not binged (which used to happen to me with my "old" way of dieting). So far so good!! --just sharing what I do/works for me!!
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    My diary for yesterday has a 900cal bacon cheeseburger, tots with ranch, and about 1000cal of alcohol...I log even while drunk hahaha

You've just inspired me to go to Red Robin for dinner. Bacon cheeseburger, bottomless steak fries and a 22 ounce Coors Light coming my way!

^^"log while drunk" -ahahhaa!! Now that is COMMITMENT right there!! ;)
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I eat one, small bag of junk food every day...anything I want...ie. Doritos, or smart food popcorn, or cheesies...the little bags keep me limited in portions size..they range from about 100 to 150 calories or so per bag. If I don't have something crunchy and want something sweet, then I have a small portion of cake ie. cupcake , lava cake...no more than 200 calories worth. I've lost 50 lbs. in 6 1/2 months.
  • breelinda
    breelinda Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mine does, I am totally honest and tend to get criticized by people sometimes when asking for advice but, whatever at least I am honest. . :))
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I routinely log my bags of potato chips, which, by the way, I don't consider junk. Perhaps the people you see not logging junk food still have issues with food, as, it seems, you do.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have pizza, cookies, chips, frosting (yep love a tablespoon of chocolate frosting every once in awhile) etc on my diary. No one way am I cutting out the good stuff. I just work my calories around it.