What has surprised you most about your weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Kullerva wrote: »
    I believe in the Blerch. (Search "The Oatmeal" and "Blerch" and you'll find it.)

I no longer believe in willpower or motivation. Those things don't really exist. What exists is the decision--lose weight, or don't. If the decision is firm, the rest falls into place.

Oh, yes, this.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

This link was amazing. I need to read this at least once a week.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    It's turning fitness into a bank (burn calories to earn food) and food into a math problem that doesn't solve for X but sure does solve for delicious!

Can I just say that I love this sentence so much! Word for word, it perfectly describes how I feel about this.

Thank you! I tried to write that one with my heart:)
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How much more fun life is now that Im confident with my body.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That I'd get hungrier the smaller I get. Ugh.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    How easily I keep chunking it back on when I stop caring/paying attention.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just how easy losing weight actually is if you have the right plan.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    That I'm not as angry at myself as I thought I should be. Due to unforeseeable circumstances, I had to eat at McDonald's and kind of eat like crap all day without the possibility of working out. But I'm allowing myself today and I'm actually really excited to get back on track tomorrow, instead of kicking myself and feeling defeated.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The whole thing is a big PIA but, I continue to forge on.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I always knew there days when I am hungrier, but never noticed that there are also days when I am not hungry and don't have to eat much at all.

Bones poking out on my body kind of freaked me out when that began happening.

Finding out that there really are ways to eat healthy and still love what you eat was a huge surprise. I thought I was doomed to a life of "rabbit food" and was a bit dejected about that. Yummy, healthy food was a big surprise. :)
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    How incredibly simple it is, once you tune out all the derp.

That's not to say it's always EASY, but the concept and process is beautiful in its simplicity.

This! So very, very true. Nicely put.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    How incredibly simple it is, once you tune out all the derp.

That's not to say it's always EASY, but the concept and process is beautiful in its simplicity.

This! So very, very true. Nicely put.

Preach it!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves a quick fix and once lost 20 lbs on a 30 day juice fast...then gained it back within a year or two, I'm most surprised that this time, losing 30 lbs slowly over the last 10 months wasn't that bad after all. Losing slowly has helped me adapt to my changing diet. I've learned that activity level is central to my weight loss and is always key to getting me into or out of a plateau.

Most importantly, slow weight loss has allowed my skin to adapt and shrink really nicely. I was afraid that it wouldn't since I'm in my 40s and had lots of inches to lose. Maybe rubbing extra virgin coconut oil helped? Who knows.

Another surprise is that now that I've reached my original goal of 125 lbs and look quite good, I've found that I still have 10 lbs of excess fat that I still need to get rid off. Bummer! And it will take 3 months to lose it and maybe another 6 months of proper training to get the toned look I've been striving for. Patience, that's what I've learned is necessary.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    It's turning fitness into a bank (burn calories to earn food) and food into a math problem that doesn't solve for X but sure does solve for delicious!

Can I just say that I love this sentence so much! Word for word, it perfectly describes how I feel about this.

I have to second this. What a great perspective to point out. Love it!
  • shanihah
    shanihah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me it's how easily I've ditched all the crap I used to eat , like chocolate, bread etc. 6 weeks so far
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    How much I have come to hate the phrase "weight loss journey." :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's cheesy. I just see it used so much that it must have rubbed off on me. They're in my brain!

Oh yes, I use it too, for lack of a better option.

Perhaps we should all just call it "the ordeal" or "the pain." :)

I call it a process. You either love the process of getting into shape or you hate it. Learn to love the process, makes life easier.

Doesn't matter if you love it or hate it, the key is whether or not you DO it.

I have to disagree. If you love it then it's easier. People who hate it are less likely to finish.

I see both sides of this view. In the beginning I did have to just do it. I felt overwhelmed by the thought of revamping how I shop, cook, eat... Not to mention meticulously weighing food/counting calories. It's a lot to tackle, but....I knew I needed to do it. I have 3mos down now and yes....I have now come to love it. :smile:

What I've learned is how much I didn't know! I didn't know it was as simple as weighing/logging food. I didn't know I could eat well (and so much!) and stay within my calories. I didn't know how many calories I was consuming to get so overweight. I didn't know I didn't have to run on a treadmill like a hamster on a wheel day in and day out to drop pounds. I didn't know lifting weights could make such a difference in my body.

Some call it a journey. I'm calling it a learning process.

• rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The closer to my goal, the lesser calories I could eat. :(
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Spending way to much time here and finding real people
    Realizing my eating habits stink
    looking at my thighs and actually being happy?
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I see food, I can immediately estimate the calories especially banana and apple.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I can fit into my old clothes I'd forgotten I even had!