has anyone else stopped eating fruit?

Options
So I love fruit and vegetables, any size any shape... But I have realised that eating fruit seems such a "waste of calories" I just saw Sharon fruit (Kaki) and was like oooohhh haven't had one in ages... weighed it, sat down and ate it, logged it and was like OMG, 170 calories!!!!
ugh, fruit is healthy, can't we get a dispensation :disappointed:

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No way I'd give up my fruit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I "moderate" my fruit intake to lower sugar berries, apples etc.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nope, I like fruit, and it's great for you! Yeah, it has calories; just log it like everything else!
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    of course i log it when i eat, the problem I find is that psychologically my 170 calories on a piece of fruit could almost be a packet of salt and vinegar crisps..... yummmmmm ( ye i know macros etc)
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Why not have half of that particular fruit each day? Some fruits are definitely higher calories. Some, like blueberries, you get a larger volume than others.... at least if you eat it slowly. :)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't eat enough fruit and veggies for this reason. I start by eating what I am really yearning for - often some kind of meat, cheese or savory thing and then the veggies are fillers with whatever scraps of calories I have leftover. Often there are none and the veggies and fruit get set aside for another day - until they rot and I throw them out :(
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    If the fruit is good and in season Then it is my pick. :)
  • Rurufit
    Rurufit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I actually have replaced chocolate for fruits. I eat 4 kinds of fruit but in moderation. Total calories 200-250.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    How restrictive are you being in relation to what you are eating ? The reason I ask is you are comparing fruit to salt and vinegar crisps and that can often point to cravings. The cravings can sometimes be caused by somebody being overly restrictive

So please if you are struggling with a 2lb a week target and are missing your favourites... fruit or crisps, doesn't matter. Perhaps try fitting in a treat here and there and aim for a 1lb a week ?

If my guess is way off then please feel free to ignore, haven't bothered checking for a diary or stats

ps, fruit and veg are always good , like other things... moderation is key to sustainability
  • LernRach
    Options
    Rurufit wrote: »
    I actually have replaced chocolate for fruits. I eat 4 kinds of fruit but in moderation. Total calories 200-250.

Lol that's hilarious... I can't imagine! I'm not the biggest chocolate eater, give me savoury any day, but I love a good fresh cold fruit! But I am struggling to keep to calories at the moment so I need to use them as wisely as possible, and the fruit disappointed me lol
  • LernRach
    Options
    markiend wrote: »
    How restrictive are you being in relation to what you are eating ? The reason I ask is you are comparing fruit to salt and vinegar crisps and that can often point to cravings. The cravings can sometimes be caused by somebody being overly restrictive

So please if you are struggling with a 2lb a week target and are missing your favourites... fruit or crisps, doesn't matter. Perhaps try fitting in a treat here and there and aim for a 1lb a week ?

If my guess is way off then please feel free to ignore, haven't bothered checking for a diary or stats

ps, fruit and veg are always good , like other things... moderation is key to sustainability

It's a good question! I had a baby 10 weeks ago and after 6 weeks decided to start on here again. The problem was, I had a big function I had to bake for so although Iwas being healthy in the day, once I started baking, forget it....

The function was on Saturday, so yesterday, that was it, I can now do MFP for real... I have done in past and lost lots of weight... and then got pregnant!!!!

So whilst you are correct in that I should fit in treats, I need to first get my bearings, really be strict so that Iknow I can have the self control, and then once I am in that zone I can use my calories for the stuff that I"m craving...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - fruit is not only high in carbs, but contains Fructose! Two very good reasons not to eat it!! :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I did several years ago - I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so I just don't reach for fruit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No way. I cut back on truly "not worth it" foods and strive to eat the nutrient dense high fiber stuff.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    How can a fruit be a waste of calories?
    Your logging is very incomplete, but you have treats in there, so it sounds more like a matter of priorities/taste. Skip something else, add more fruit.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've been disappointed to see that fruit has put me over in sugar once in a while, but I won't cut it out.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how it would be a waste of calories, if you love it?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have an apple a day, but it needs to be a good apple, or I'll pass on it. I have more fruit occasionally when it's in season.
  • LernRach
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    How can a fruit be a waste of calories?
    Your logging is very incomplete, but you have treats in there, so it sounds more like a matter of priorities/taste. Skip something else, add more fruit.

as written above, I wasn't logging properly at all, primarily because of the baking!! Now that I'm doing this for real, logging will be complete....

Obviously its not an actual waste of calories, it is just so high and when you compare that to foods that are not as healthy, it can seem a waste... It was a bit tongue in cheek,
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It's not a waste of calories if it's providing you with nutrition. Chips (crisps) is a waste of calories because there is no nutritional value to them. I go for fruit every time over the unhealthy stuff.