November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    On the price of shoes, keep in mind that once you are fitted in a running store you can usually find last year's model online quite a bit cheaper. Usually the change from one year to another is color and not much more. Skip needed a new pair of shoes on short time and we didn't have time to go to our running store so I ordered them online, they were last year's colors and half what I pay in the store. As a single mom I know how hard it can be to find an "extra" $150 LOL but remember that the right shoes are an investment in your health and fitness :smiley:

@karef you are too sweet. Never be afraid to ask any question, I ask all kinds of weird questions, that how we learn.
  • angiepetter695
    angiepetter695 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 40. Half marathon this weekend and a week of recovery to follow.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

WOW! This is impressive, Stoshew71!
    I would like to say that I also welcome all of you! But I don't have the time to find all the names. :wink:

Thanks again Stan for setting up our challenges! You have helped SO many of us (me, so many times), and you always take the time to answer the questions, that you've probably answered a bunch in the past. The challenges have helped me so much. I don't know if I would have stuck with running when I started if I hadn't discovered these challenges, because I was just on my own. Sure, I could read about running, but having a goal, reading other people's miles and even the struggles, is inspiring!

Thank you! :smiley:

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Skip is beautiful when she runs! I always laugh until I'm almost crying seeing myself in pictures--I look like I'm leading my whole body with my chin!

@smithie092015 and @karllundy and @lporter229 Thanks for your thoughts on where you are in your training and how I can improve mine. The Hal Higdon plans look interesting, but I have to admit that I don't understand how it helps you run farther. I was just looking at the Novice 2 half plan and it is just 3-5-3-add a mile per week to your long run (plus two rest days and a cross-training day).

I have 16 weeks until my half, and I'd like to run a 10-mile long run by early December. It sounds like if I do a modified Novice 2 plan, I could just keep doing that until it was time to taper for the race.

Today, I did Day One of my awesome new plan. It involved not running at all, going to teacher conferences, and eating my stash of leftover Halloween candy.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Slow start to the month with just two 4 milers the past 2 nights. Was planning more for Sunday, but I was running the first 4 with a neighbor, we took a break after wrapping up (as humidity was over 90% and the temperature was over 80 even after sunset), and I just didn't come out for my extra miles. Tonight's run felt better, but I'm doing 2 runs tomorrow (w. speed work) so I left today at the 4 mile mark. Racing an olympic triathlon (w. 10k run) Sunday (Trirock Clearwater), and a HM the following Sunday (Las Vegas R&R), so I'll forward load my miles the next 2 weeks so I can taper for each race.

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - 4 miles

Total: 8 miles
    Target: 220 miles
    Remaining: 212 miles
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    She loves the pictures that catch her in mid air LOL

"Look Mom, I'm flying!" :smiley:

@kareF - I've run/walked a couple of HMs. I find that if you pick a race that also has a marathon, the time limit tends to be higher and gave me more time to finish without worrying. I had one that was a set amount of time to run, then walk, then run, walk, etc. The other I just did it on feel. Run until I felt I needed a break and then walk until I felt I could comfortably run again. I liked the second way better since it involved me doing much less calculating in my head ;)

@PeachyCarol - I run slowly too. In fact I just bought a shirt online that says "Slow runners make fast runners look good. You're welcome" and has a picture of a turtle :blush: I thought it was cute and funny

As for the whole shoe discussion. I feel lucky that I found a shoe I like without trying a bunch first. I went to Fleet Feet for the first time about 10 years ago and they watched me run and then had me try on a few shoes. I found a pair of Brooks shoes that felt good and have continued to buy those ever since. I'm considering getting more into trail running, so when I go home in Dec, I might go over to Fleet Feet and see what they have to say about trail shoes :smile:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    Wow - so much activity here already and so many new people! Welcome everyone!!

I took yesterday as a rest day (would have been my normal rest anyway) but being at the agility trial all day meant I was on my feet running around, all day. By the time we got home I was exhausted (puppy did very well though and got his first agility title). I slept for over 9 hours and still felt like a slug when I ran today. It was a lovely cool morning out though and mentally the run was awesome even if my legs were complaining they were still tired!

Date..........Miles.........Total
    11/01.......0.00...........0.00
    11/02.......4.84...........4.84

exercise.png

These are my upcoming races, let me know if you are going to be running too:
    11/21/15 - USA Invitational Half, San Diego, CA
    12/27/15 - Holiday Half, San Diego, CA
    02/07/15 - Surf City Half, Huntington Beach, CA
    02/20/15 - Special Edition Divas Half, Temecula, CA
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    3 miles of hills today. Felt bad for the first 0.5-1 mile, but then started to get into a rhythm and felt much better - that tends to be how things go for me. Really happy with my time - 35 minutes overall. My first mile was 11:11 (before the hills started), which is the fastest mile for me in several months. Not a PR (9 minutes is my PR for 1 mile, and 32 minutes is a PR for 5k), but still pretty exciting for me tonight :smiley:

exercise.png
  • kcbhopkins
    kcbhopkins Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    3.17 miles this morning at 12:37 pace. Which is awesome for me. I'm usually around 13 - 13:30.

Starting my 10K training for the Disney Princess 10k in February. I'm super excited.

exercise.png[\img]
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I should have done week 1, day 2 of 5to10K this morning, but I have a bit of a migraine (I have chronic migraines, so I'm functional when they're not major). So just an easy 2 mile jog this morning.

11/1: 5.62 miles (3.18 running, 2.44 walking) This was 5to10K week 1, day 1 (as you can see, I jog slowly and this was the first time I actually jogged 5K since starting C25K)
    11/2: 5.13 miles walking + weights/TRX with trainer
    11/3: 2 miles easy jog, even slower than usual glacial pace

exercise.png
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm back for this month's challenge! I didn't get to finish October with you guys but I'm pretty sure I hit my goal of 45 miles.

I'm going to shoot for 45 again. In addition to my runs, I've also added a lot of walking during the day (after my run, during lunch, walking at night, etc.). So I'm definitely getting a lot of cardio, lol, so for those on my friends list, I am running, but whenever I add my walks to my diary, my status always says I'm walking! But my runs are in there somewhere.

Glad to be back! I missed you guys.

November goal: 45 miles
    11/1 - 2 miles
    11/2 - strength day

November: 2 of 45 miles completed

@skippygirlsmom love the picture of skip with her running midair. I also had one before from a race, I'll have to look for it lol.
    @Stoshew71 great pictures from the spooktacular run!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Nov 1 - rest
    Nov 2 - 3.2
    Nov 3 - 4.3 -- HUMID! Well, we had a couple weeks of nice in October, but alas, November is like it usually is.

exercise.png

@SkippyGirlsmom - that is such an adorable picture of Skip!

My car got rear-ended yesterday. :cry: I wasn't hurt, or don't seem to be. The bike rack on the back of the car was pushed into the back window (Prius) and that shattered. My husband thinks the bike rack really helped the impact. I have no idea. So took today off to deal with car and that meant I was able to run at sunrise and daylight! So there was some good that came out of the wreck I guess. Me running in daylight!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'll join I'm a little late
    My goal is 60 miles for the month

exercise.png

1-0 miles
    2-3.72 miles
    3-4.86 miles-I think. Phone restarted during my run

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1-Rest
    11/2-Strength Training
    11/3-5.0 miles

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays The novice plans are designed specifically to get you to the distance without regards to increasing your speed. They do this by helping you to build an aerobic base, hence the repetition of just running easy miles, and by giving you one long run per week to get you up to that distance run. Keep in mind that some gains in speed will be noticed just due to the increase in your aerobic base. If you already have at least one HM under your belt or have been running 20-25 MPW consistently, you may want to consider an intermediate plan that has some basic speed work such as tempo runs or intervals once or twice per week. If you are unsure about doing speed work, a good way to ease yourself into it is to add some good hills into your regular runs. Not sure if this answers your question, but I think you are trying to decide on what type of training plan is right for you, correct?
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    First, gotta say I absolutely LOVE the Thanksgiving / pie theme tickers! Mmm...pie!

@kristinegift - Ha! A 22 mile run on the first day will do that for you.
    @ddmom0811 - glad you aren't sore from getting run into and you got to run in daylight (silver lining)
    @lporter229 and @5BeautifulDays - I totally agree. If you have been running for a while, I would work with the intermediate plan. I found the speed work to not only help with speed, but also was mentally fun and different. Plus, adding only one mile a week to the long run keeps you from over training and hurting yourself.

11/1 - rest day / Halloween Hangover
    11/2 - 5.25 miles, 55° at 5:30 a.m. in Iowa! Nuts, but I love it!
    11/3 - 4 miles on indoor track followed by weights / abs. After running mostly outside for six months, you can run pretty fast on a flat, indoor surface.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/1 - 10 miles
    11/2 - rest day - sore shins
    11/3 - 5 miles

15 out of 110 miles

gpx5ayae0nka.jpg

@ddmom0811 I'm so glad you are okay!

Thanks all for the comments on Skip, she does look happy running doesn't she? It might have been the cutie behind her in the pix she was running with ha ha!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My question on the shoe discussion - I know there've been several articles and studies that indicate that the higher priced shoes may (or may not) be necessarily worth the money, in that a less-expensive shoe might do just as well for some (less-than-elite) runners. I was looking at RunRepeat.com, and was intrigued by the Saucony Cohesion 8, which seems to match the profile of the Mizuno Wave 18 that I've been running, for about half the price. I don't want to cheap out, but at 25-35 MPW, I'm going thru the 400 mile lifecycle of shoes at the rate of about 4 pair a year.

Does anyone have experience with either the Saucony, or with the idea of a slightly less-expensive pair of kicks? Maybe just use 'em for my easy runs, and use the better ones for races and higher-intensity training? The salesperson at my local shoe store pooh-poohed the Saucony as too cheap to even consider. Of course, the fact that they don't carry 'em, and thus wouldn't get the sale if he commended it doesn't even enter the picture, right?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    My question on the shoe discussion - I know there've been several articles and studies that indicate that the higher priced shoes may (or may not) be necessarily worth the money, in that a less-expensive shoe might do just as well for some (less-than-elite) runners. I was looking at RunRepeat.com, and was intrigued by the Saucony Cohesion 8, which seems to match the profile of the Mizuno Wave 18 that I've been running, for about half the price. I don't want to cheap out, but at 25-35 MPW, I'm going thru the 400 mile lifecycle of shoes at the rate of about 4 pair a year.

Does anyone have experience with either the Saucony, or with the idea of a slightly less-expensive pair of kicks? Maybe just use 'em for my easy runs, and use the better ones for races and higher-intensity training? The salesperson at my local shoe store pooh-poohed the Saucony as too cheap to even consider. Of course, the fact that they don't carry 'em, and thus wouldn't get the sale if he commended it doesn't even enter the picture, right?

Well... I like to find deals. I cannot afford the most expensive shoes on 200+ miles/month. I actually gotten very lucky. My first real pair of running shoes I got at Burlington Coat Factory in the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall, a pair of ASICS Gel Keyano 20's for only $49. A steal. Had I known how good of a steal at the time, I would have gotten 2 or 3 pairs. lol That was Christmas 2013. Who would have known that the running thing would have been big for me. LOL I then went to the Nike Outlet Store in Nashville, TN a couple of months later for my second pair and only paid $65. I think they were Lunar Glides. I since went to the local Burlington, Kohl's, and all the expos for the major races. I wait and look for deals then stock up. Some I have had real good luck, others I had to get used to, and some I just use for easier runs. I also got a good deal on trail shoes (Sketcher Ultra Go Runs) that were half priced off at Fleet Feet, and my Mizuno Wave Sayanora's were also half off at Fleet feet on a deal day close out. Heck, I even got a pair of Fila Turbo Fuel at Kohl's. I think they were like $25. I said what the heck. I can't go too far in them because they don't provide the cushion like my other shoes do, but to go on my easy runs they work fine for me. To be honest, in the beginning I had to get used to some of the shoes. I think my feet, calfs, and ankles are now stronger for it. I also switch shoes a lot. If I wear the same shoe twice in a week, that is about it.
  • DaveThomas1901
    DaveThomas1901 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Target for me is 50 miles.

1/11 6.45
    3/11 6.28
    total 12.73