• jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In for 40 this month.

11/2 - 3 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 thanks for posting the pix Stan. Here's one of Skip. She loves the pictures that catch her in mid air LOL
    ztq24z4x64nb.jpg

@msf74 you had me laughing so hard "stay off the moor"
    @juliet3455 try knuckle lights maybe to help with the vertigo from the lights
    @_nikkiwolf_ welcome back!
    @aresende90 your dog is precious, love the shoes, how do you like the sleeves?
    @hbrittingham sorry to hear about your pups tumor I hope he/she (sorry!) is 100% soon
    @karef sorry the Nikes are not working out, will they take them back?
    @ddmom0811 ugh on the bears yipes!
    @smithie092015 super job on the 10K, what a great picture.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcomes :)
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm intrigued by your thoughts on training for your half. I'm also training for the Disney Princess half in February. I don't know if I should do a beginner's or an intermediate plan? I currently run 20-25 miles per week, with a long run of 7-9 miles. But I'm a full 10 minutes slower than you are at the 10K pace. I hadn't even thought of making November lighter in anticipation. Of course, maybe if I took a few more rest days, I could go longer on my long runs.

This will be my third half, so I'm trying a more aggressive training schedule this time around. I'm using Hal Higdon's intermediate plan as a model, but I'm adding two more weeks to allow for a little holiday wiggle room and I'm increasing the length of some of the runs to up the weekly mileage. This plan has me running medium distances on Tuesday and Thursday and a long run on Sunday. On Wednesdays I'm alternating speed work with tempo runs (new to me) and a short fun run on Saturdays.

Now, I tend to run about three or four days per week with significant cross training built in. I'm hoping that switching to five runs a week (sadly will have to decrease cross training to make this work) will help me improve my pace and recovery. I don't know that a significant mileage decrease for November is necessary since I've been pretty lucky with avoiding injuries, but I like the idea of using November as a chance to experiment. I want to try some different strength training circuits to see which ones are the best complements to my training schedule and get used to switching my rest days to Mondays and Fridays. I know its always important to be flexible, but I'm hoping to identify any major snags before I actually start in December so I can be as efficient as possible.

I picked my training plan based primarily on my goals. Any plan would prepare me well enough to get over the finish line, but I really want to improve my time, so I decided an intermediate plan was necessary. If pace is less of a concern, I don't know that I'd bother with a plan that incorporates track work. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts as well!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays - For what it is worth, I used Hal Higdon's intermediate plan before each of my first three HMs. Up to that point, I was only running about 15 miles per week and had never run more than 5 miles in a single run.

@skippygirlsmom - Great picture of Skip! I always try to find pictures with both feet of the ground, too! Guessing I have far fewer of them than she does, though.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @kareF - I have been running in the Nike Pegasus since July and when I went to the chiropractor last week, he recommended I take a look at the Asics Cumulus and Brooks Ghost. I ended up with last years model of the Ghost since it was cheaper, but I'm looking forward to switching. Hopefully the Asics work out better for you!
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm in for... I'll say 35.
    I am leaving for my home state (CA) on Thursday and will be there for 12 days. So while I will continue to run (3x per week) my walking mileage probably won't be anywhere near my usual.

11/2 - 2.00 mi (day 1, week 8 of C25k, very slow but did it)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I'm intrigued by your thoughts on training for your half. I'm also training for the Disney Princess half in February. I don't know if I should do a beginner's or an intermediate plan? I currently run 20-25 miles per week, with a long run of 7-9 miles. But I'm a full 10 minutes slower than you are at the 10K pace. I hadn't even thought of making November lighter in anticipation. Of course, maybe if I took a few more rest days, I could go longer on my long runs.

Training plans are not "one size fits all", so why not pick one that you think is close to what you want to do and adapt it to meet your ability. For my last marathon I wanted to follow on of Matt Fitzgerlad's plans because I like the way they are set up, but the advanced was waay more than I wanted and I had already done the intermediate for my last marathon and thought that maybe I needed something more. So I stuck with the intermediate plan and just added miles where I thought they would benefit me. It worked very well and helped me to get a PR. I think I would have killed myself trying to do the advanced plan.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @5BeautifulDays - For what it is worth, I used Hal Higdon's intermediate plan before each of my first three HMs. Up to that point, I was only running about 15 miles per week and had never run more than 5 miles in a single run.

@skippygirlsmom - Great picture of Skip! I always try to find pictures with both feet of the ground, too! Guessing I have far fewer of them than she does, though.

@karllundy you notice there are none of me LOL I always look like I'm trying to breathe and my feet always look like I'm walking ha ha
  • kcbhopkins
    kcbhopkins Posts: 24 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Been lurking for a while so I'm finally chiming in and setting a goal for 45 miles this month.

exercise.png
  • kimpineda33
    kimpineda33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    30 miles! newbie!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Welcome! Just put a [.img] before that and a [./img] after that. Remove the .'s tho.
    The .'s are placed in this example so you can actually see what i typed.

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    @gaelicstorm26 and @kimpineda33: Welcome
    @courtenaymichele: Hopefully the "Trot" comes pre-turkey because tryptophan...ZZZZzzzzz
  • kimpineda33
    kimpineda33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    http://[./img]tikers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wfE4ibz/exercise.png[./img]
    @Stoshew71 thank you, I am not sure what I am doing but I'm trying. Still not sure if I have this right. I do not see the .'s
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @gaelicstorm26 and @kimpineda33: Welcome
    @courtenaymichele: Hopefully the "Trot" comes pre-turkey because tryptophan...ZZZZzzzzz

Yes, and it shall be used specifically to up the hunger before the eating! :smiley:
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Stoshew71 thank you, I am not sure what I am doing but I'm trying. Still not sure if I have this right. I do not see the .'s

So it'll be.. [ img] http............ [ /img] :smile: takes some getting used to

Just remove the spaces between [ and img though.

And welcome!! :smiley:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Thanks for the Tip and a Great Photo of your girl flying.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Like this:

[.img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wfE4ibz/exercise.png[./img]
    ^ ---- remove these dots to make it work -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---^

Or else it will look like this:

exercise.png