• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for November

11/1 REST DAY
    11/2 10 miles - 10
    11/3 11 miles - 21

exercise.png

WRH Brueggers Grp Day: 11 miles in 1:30:42 - 2 mi w/u (9:06, 8:39) 4 mi at tempo (7:08, 7:10, 7:28, 7:12) << third mile had a mean hill in it 1 mile at steady state 7:44, 1 mile recovery 9:08, 8x 30 sec strides then c/d (8:29, 8:42, 9:50)

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with either the Saucony, or with the idea of a slightly less-expensive pair of kicks?

I think that running can be a lot like cycling. In cycling you find average punters spending inordinate amounts of money for cutting edge features which have marginal benefits to their performance, if any. It is a big fat fail in terms of a cost / benefit analysis.

When I got assessed for my first pair of shoes I had a budget of £150 (which I didn't tell the assistant.) She assessed my gait by making me run outside in a pair of neutral shoes and watching how I ran - not just my feet and ankles but my body as a complete unit. She then made me try out a number of shoes but there was no mention of the cost and I didn't mention my budget. I choose the ones that fit best and felt the most comfortable. They turned out to be Saucony Jazz 17s which were about £85 full price ( so much less than my higher end budget. I subsequently purchased another pair from Wiggle for £60 on sale.)

It's not really about the cost but rather finding a pair which suits you and that may well be a cheaper or much cheaper pair. I don't think you can really know without trying a number of pairs and if necessary returning them if they are not suitable.

I also think that in terms of injury prevention that focusing on running form and suitable progression is a much better investment than expensive shoes unless a person has significant bio-mechanical issues.

My weekly mileage is somewhat lower than yours in the 15-20 miles per week range but the Jazzs have seen me right for about 9 months worth per time.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I bought my first pair (Brooks Glycerin 12) at a local running store, after a gait analysis and trying on a dozen different pair, for $150. The 13's must have come out soon after because I saw the 12's discounted a month later and bought a pair for $100 direct from Brooks. They're becoming harder to find but I just ordered a pair a couple days ago for $75.

I like the idea of alternating shoes and found my close second choice, the ASICS Gel Nimbus 17 for $100 on a Nordstrom sail (normally $150), and then found pair of Gel Cumulus 16 for $50.

BTW, if you order direct from Brooks you can try them at no risk. They have free shipping and free returns and they even encourage you to try them out and if, within 90 days, you don't like them, you can send them back for a full refund. That is a fantastic way to try them out! You'll pay full price for current models but any old models they still have in inventory are usually discounted.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 I like my Saucony. I've got the Rides and the Xodus gortex. Even if they are similar, I would still try them on. Little differences can make a very big difference in our runs. especially long runs
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    My question on the shoe discussion - I know there've been several articles and studies that indicate that the higher priced shoes may (or may not) be necessarily worth the money, in that a less-expensive shoe might do just as well for some (less-than-elite) runners. I was looking at RunRepeat.com, and was intrigued by the Saucony Cohesion 8, which seems to match the profile of the Mizuno Wave 18 that I've been running, for about half the price. I don't want to cheap out, but at 25-35 MPW, I'm going thru the 400 mile lifecycle of shoes at the rate of about 4 pair a year.

Does anyone have experience with either the Saucony, or with the idea of a slightly less-expensive pair of kicks? Maybe just use 'em for my easy runs, and use the better ones for races and higher-intensity training? The salesperson at my local shoe store pooh-poohed the Saucony as too cheap to even consider. Of course, the fact that they don't carry 'em, and thus wouldn't get the sale if he commended it doesn't even enter the picture, right?

I wore Saucony's for a while and it's wow that he pooh-poohed them. I'm sure you are right that they just didn't carry them. For me they didn't provide enough support, but I do wear them for shorter runs around the hood from time to time. They are light and very comfy and dry fast so they a good wet weather shoes. I don't put much stock into the theory that things need to be expensive to be good, or better than a less expensive brand. Skip wears $15 a pair running socks, I wear ones that are like $4 a pair, both work the same but I like a more cushioned sock she does not and she loves the ones she wears. They were on sale one time and she stocked up on like 5 or 6 pairs.

I have to say I would not buy anything I thought I had to break in or that my feet needed to get used to, probably too many years of getting used to high heels etc that hurt my feet LOL. Now that Fleet Feet is carrying Glycerin 13s and no longer have 12s I'll stroll into Academy or Dicks to see if they have the 12s at a cheaper price. I think the 13s have a very slightly smaller toe box and sometimes I can feel them pressing on my socks. Like Stoshew71 I also check out the Expos. Skip got the Asics she loves for $40, normally $120.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I managed my 50 mile target last month so I'm going to give 60 miles a go this month.

@ddmom0811 Hope you ok after the crash
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    All this shoe talk...I just ordered ANOTHER pair of Glycerins for $70. I now have two active pair, three pair in reserve, and one semi-retired pair which will likely still see service for short runs or winter running.

• chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm on my way....
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to register for a thanksgiving 10k and there are two options. One says "individual age group / open" the other is just 10k. I've never seen this. Which do I want? What's that mean?
    I want to run in my age group.

Sounds like "open" is no age ranking?
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I bought my first pair (Brooks Glycerin 12) at a local running store, after a gait analysis and trying on a dozen different pair, for $150. The 13's must have come out soon after because I saw the 12's discounted a month later and bought a pair for $100 direct from Brooks. They're becoming harder to find but I just ordered a pair a couple days ago for $75.

I like the idea of alternating shoes and found my close second choice, the ASICS Gel Nimbus 17 for $100 on a Nordstrom sail (normally $150), and then found pair of Gel Cumulus 16 for $50.

BTW, if you order direct from Brooks you can try them at no risk. They have free shipping and free returns and they even encourage you to try them out and if, within 90 days, you don't like them, you can send them back for a full refund. That is a fantastic way to try them out! You'll pay full price for current models but any old models they still have in inventory are usually discounted.

That's pretty good, I may order from Brooks. I had a pair before that I really liked, but can't remember which model. A friend who worked at a shoe store recommended them for running at the track back when I used to do intervals.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    In again for 250km.

November 1 - lazy day, no running
    November 2 - 17km in the morning and another 4km with my dog in the evening.
    November 3 - 10km early this morning. First snowfall of the year. :'( I'm ready for it to be summer.

November Total: 31km (219km to go)
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    11/2: 4 miles

So far: 4 out of 100 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 you are such a girl with your shoe collection :wink:
    @elise4270 I've never heard of that before, is there a number you can all or email?
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I beat my 100 mile target in October by 13 miles, so I think I should be good for 125 miles this month.

Although I have not run this month yet! Ran a HM in New Orleans on Saturday, recovered on Sunday, traveled home yesterday and got home so late last night I did not run this morning. Hope I join all you busy beavers tomorrow though!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Slow start this month :neutral:

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wnTcHv1/exercise.png [\img][/img]
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    11/3--5.28 miles

exercise.png
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEj_zLVaJ_c

180 BMP for those of us who need a reference or something to listen to. It has also helped me understand the discussion held a few days ago about the difference between cadence, pace, and stride length. Until I heard this I just didn't get it. I do now!

I have both of her albums in my playlist. When I heard this, it was a shock to my system. I have a lot of work to do.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @5BeautifulDays The novice plans are designed specifically to get you to the distance without regards to increasing your speed. They do this by helping you to build an aerobic base, hence the repetition of just running easy miles, and by giving you one long run per week to get you up to that distance run. Keep in mind that some gains in speed will be noticed just due to the increase in your aerobic base. If you already have at least one HM under your belt or have been running 20-25 MPW consistently, you may want to consider an intermediate plan that has some basic speed work such as tempo runs or intervals once or twice per week. If you are unsure about doing speed work, a good way to ease yourself into it is to add some good hills into your regular runs. Not sure if this answers your question, but I think you are trying to decide on what type of training plan is right for you, correct?

Yes, I'm trying to figure out if there is a "better" plan for where I'm at. I've done two 5k and two 10k races, but this will be my first half marathon. I'm 44 and was never athletic before, so I don't have a "base" I'm building from. I've been running since January/February when I started something rather like C25K. I've been running 20-25 miles per week since mid-late summer, but since then I've mostly been working on increasing my speed little by little, rather than distance. Now I need to work on both! I think what makes me question the whole "do what I'm already doing, just add a mile to my long run" approach is that it makes my long run such a giant portion of my weekly miles, and the consensus around here seems to be that that is a bad idea. On the other hand, it would mean that I don't have to modify my schedule all that much, so it's good from that perspective.

Anyway, I appreciate your perspective. I think I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and just inch up the long run, unless and until I find something else that stands out as a better way to do this.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    11/1 3.1 @ 11:15 outside in the neighborhood in the rain
    11/2 rest
    11/3 5.0 @ 10:59 on the treadmill (plus a 1 mile walk and strength training)

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm trying to figure out if there is a "better" plan for where I'm at. I've done two 5k and two 10k races, but this will be my first half marathon. I'm 44 and was never athletic before, so I don't have a "base" I'm building from. I've been running since January/February when I started something rather like C25K. I've been running 20-25 miles per week since mid-late summer, but since then I've mostly been working on increasing my speed little by little, rather than distance. Now I need to work on both! I think what makes me question the whole "do what I'm already doing, just add a mile to my long run" approach is that it makes my long run such a giant portion of my weekly miles, and the consensus around here seems to be that that is a bad idea. On the other hand, it would mean that I don't have to modify my schedule all that much, so it's good from that perspective.

Anyway, I appreciate your perspective. I think I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and just inch up the long run, unless and until I find something else that stands out as a better way to do this.

I am stuck in a similar place. I am introducing a forth running day, as hard as it is I'll see how I go at first.. Depends if the kids have anything on during the week etc but I'm going to try!

I'm going to give this a go..

Week 1- Run your usual distances this week.
    Week 2- Run 10-20% more than week 1.
    Week 3- Repeat week 2.
    Week 4- (Down week) Run 15-20% less than week 1.

In the next week, for week 1- Run 10% more than the previous week 1. This is how you increase slowly.

It's slow.. But I'm just using this is a base as I really like running 5-10k at the moment and don't want to push too hard too fast above the 10k mark. I'm only increasing 10% weekly to see how I go for now. I got this idea from an article in runner's world here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/the-most-effective-way-to-use-down-weeks

I added an extra week in my little plan so it's 4 weeks rather than 3 though.