November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    Thought why not to share my kids' halloween photo :) introducing Nadim and Sophie!

fzoon1fowaxw.jpg

@snha they are adorable
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 50 miles this month. My running buddy (my golden retriever) had a tumor removed from his leg last week and will have the okay to start back running with me next weekend. Until then, I guess I'll hit the treadmill...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Virkati wrote: »
    Platte River Half Marathon registration is open. I want to sign up. But. I've only done a couple of 5k's and they were only "fun runs". No timing chip, not certified courses etc. I just restarted the C25k, today is W1D3. The HM is April 10. Is it reasonable/feasible for me (pretty new to running, only since June-ish) to think this is something I could pull off?

It depends on your dedication and the time you have available to train but I went from non runner to HM in just under 6 months.

I got serious about running in February and managed my first HM in October while injured. I'd think if you train smart, you can make an April HM. Good luck!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I felt great yesterday after my HM yesterday but woke up to soreness in my right calf and quad today. I took my son trap shooting and was so sore my leg was trembling a bit when I would get into my stance. He beat me 48/50 to my 37/50. He usually does but at least this time I had an excuse.

I did go out and run 5.7 slow recovery miles. It hurt the whole way, but a good hurt...the hurt of accomplishment. I enjoyed being able to run as slow as I wanted and managed an 11:17 pace. I was expecting to be a lot more sore than I am. Perhaps I didn't push myself hard enough?

11/01 - 5.7 Miles (Recovery Run)
    11/02 - Rest

Goal: 85 Miles
    Progress: 5.7 Miles
    Remaining 79.3 Miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I felt great yesterday after my HM yesterday but woke up to soreness in my right calf and quad today. I took my son trap shooting and was so sore my leg was trembling a bit when I would get into my stance. He beat me 48/50 to my 37/50. He usually does but at least this time I had an excuse.

I did go out and run 5.7 slow recovery miles. It hurt the whole way, but a good hurt...the hurt of accomplishment. I enjoyed being able to run as slow as I wanted and managed an 11:17 pace. I was expecting to be a lot more sore than I am. Perhaps I didn't push myself hard enough?

11/01 - 5.7 Miles (Recovery Run)
    11/02 - Rest

Goal: 85 Miles
    Progress: 5.7 Miles
    Remaining 79.3 Miles

@7lenny7 let me know how you feel tomorrow. I was fine the day after my first HM, but the day after that I woke up with the WTH happened LOL You ran a great race and not being very sore isn't a sign you didn't push yourself hard enough, it's a sign to trained right for your race :smile:
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    In for a minimum of 100 km (hopefully). I'll probably run more than that but I have to be careful. I don't think I can hit 140 km again this month due to not having any time off during the week to run. No such thing as Thanksgiving break here in China.
  • 7lenny7
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @kristinegift , you're getting some great training in. You're going to kick butt in that race!
    @aligarmizo , great job on the 5K! Sounds like a worthy cause. Good luck on your next one!

@virkati, I had the benefit of having a good friend of mine, an experienced runner, come up with my plan based on where I was at in my running at the time and what my goal for the race was (I just wanted to cross the finish line at the time but that goal changed as I saw my ability increase more than I expected). Any plan you find online will have to be adjusted to your ability when you start it and what your goal is. You goal could be anything from walking the whole thing to placing in your age group. Those two things will determine the start and the end of the plan. Then it's a matter of filling in the weeks between the two.

Some advice I would give (keeping in mind I'm no authority, but I have a clear recollection of what it was like when I started.
    • First logistics. You have 23 weeks to get ready for this. I looked up the race and it says it's limited to 2900 runners in the M but last year they had just over 1600 so there's little chance it will fill up. If you register today it's $50 then $60 until December 31st. If you think you need to register now to feel committed, then do it. Since it's nonrefundable, my personal preference is to balance the increasing cost with the ability to wait until I know I'm going to be ready and if I were in your place, I would wait until Dec 31st, or perhaps February 29th which is the last day to pay $70 before it jumps to $80. You'll have to decide what works for you
    • Continue with your C25K program. I didn't use that program, but I think it's a great way to get into running and build on your abilities. The C25K I found is a 9 week program, which brings you to Dec 27th assuming you don't have to restart a week (and no shame if you do). That would be a good point to reevaluate our progress
    • This Hal Higdon plan is 12 weeks and it looks like your C25K would flow nicely into this, for a total of 21 weeks. This gives you two weeks of buffer in case you're injured or get sick. Even if you don't complete the Hal Higdon plan, you'll likely be ready if you stick with it.
    • Consider how winter will affect your training. Are you willing to run when the snow flies and it gets cold? If that could be an issue, considering finding a HM in May.
    • I would stick exclusively to easy miles at a conversational pace for nearly the entire time. In my training I never had structured speed work and only started the faster running towards the end to give my self some practice at the pace I wanted to run in my HM. At this point just work on building that base.
    • Register for a 5K at the end of our C25K program and register for a 10K around week 9 of the Higdon plan, as he suggests. These will give you practice racing and give you a benchmark for your running.

I'm sure others will have some great advice and if you have any questions, you know where to find us!

• 7lenny7
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ welcome back!
    @skippygirlsmom good point!
  • ellerist
    ellerist Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Went in today and got my running store to put a pair of Asics Gel Cumulus 16's on hold for me. I don't think these Nikes are cutting it for me. At first they were great, though now my arches are killing me every time I walk/run in them?

I have been fitted for the Asics and they have more support - they feel good on too! I pretty much told them last time that I couldn't afford the Asics and did some research and found the Nike's I ended up with were similar (aside from less stability and less cushioning in the front & mid-foot).. And let's face it - They were all that I could afford at the time!

The guy at the running store said the Nike's are a good shoe, though not stable and bend too easily at the arch, which is most likely causing the arch pain. I've got a pair of inserts in the Nike's at the moment - I'll wear them for the next few weeks (until I pay off the Asics). Hope my feet don't hate me for too long after this!

Even my knees are starting to ache a little. Feeling a bit deflated about it, to say the least.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 ...thank you!! A wealth of information and solid advice. I will wait to register just to be sure I think it's something I can do, based on all the factors you suggested. I'm hesitant about the snow and ice that I'll need to deal with this winter. I've torn the meniscus in both knees previously, so I'm wary of doing it again.

I looked at my AG 50-54 and noticed that if I want to place above the median, I have to aim for at least 2:19:00 or better. To do that, I will need to trim 4:30 per mile from what I do now. The pace I have now would put me at 3:30:21, which is 24 minutes later than the last female in my group did this year. But it looks do-able. I can do do-able!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Smashed a 115 goal last month, so I'm in for 120 this month. Who knows what the weather will bring? Had to dreadmill it today....

• Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    3.05 miles. Ran 30 min of the 44. I am pretty proud!

3.05/60

Edited cuz I can't spell
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Rest Day today. Funny the 1st has to fall on a Sunday. Will start November's Challenge tomorrow.

Pictures from yesterday's Spooktacular 5K. I didn't run it, but my wife and daughter did. As did @skippygirlsmom and Skip.

Here is a picture of all of us.
    fi0drsssh0nz.jpg

Just the ladies:

iuaytshl01tr.jpg

My wife Jennifer:
    ccw80aweaf8u.jpg

My daughter Emily(dressed as Catness from The Hunger Games)
    xme0ab0xfu1y.jpg

The start of the race, Emily and her friend towards the right side and my wife in the back (dressed as Super Woman behind the ref pushing the stroller)
    zrk9ffdnesl0.jpg

Feeding baby duckies before the race:
    jsc9gdn2umqv.jpg
    ofvpps129yvk.jpg

• JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Start off with a 5 mile jog. Ran a hard half marathon yesterday, so today was just a shake out jog. Praise God.
  • christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am in but just need to figure out my goal. Half training starts soon!!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Helped my brother install a new furnace in his place today so I didn't catch my normal Sunday Running Group.
    4.6 km run @ 2015hrs using a headlamp. Pitch black. Daylight Savings + Family Duties = Running in the Dark.
    Just learned that I suffer from Mild Vertigo when I try to run in the dark with a headlamp.
    Not a good feeling and it caused me to cut my run short.
    Sticking with my 140 km Monthly goal since I managed to exceed it for the last 2 months.
    Bumping my Yearly goal up to 600km.
    11/01 – 4.6 Km – 4.6km – 135.4 Km – – YTD – 4.6 + 379.16 = 383.76Km
    exercise.png
    83e6b524d3498cc.png
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Once again I'm back. I'm shooting for 100 again.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 75 miles

11/1 4.42

Upcoming races:
    11/7 Sunrise Athletics 10k
    11/15 Las Vegas RocknRoll 1/2 marathon
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon

Total 4.42

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    In for 120km this month.

1/11: 16km Total: 16km of 120km

Spooky early run on Sunday the day after Halloween. There was mist everywhere which refused to lift and it looked like the set of "An American Werewolf in London".

A freaked myself out a little by chanting "stay off the moor, stay off the mooooooor" in my mind and then seeing a monstrous shaggy beast running towards me. Turns out it was only a Border Collie out with its owner for a walk. Doh!