November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - ha! Love that article.

@aligarmizo - great job on your race today - you'll smash your upcoming 5k!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Platte River Half Marathon registration is open. I want to sign up. But. I've only done a couple of 5k's and they were only "fun runs". No timing chip, not certified courses etc. I just restarted the C25k, today is W1D3. The HM is April 10. Is it reasonable/feasible for me (pretty new to running, only since June-ish) to think this is something I could pull off?
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @Virkati I haven't done a half.. But April is 6 months away! :smiley: I say go for it!!

• Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 2.94 miles

If I had known I was so close to three I would have ran around the block or something :#
    Total: 2.94/30
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    11 tips for having a great long run
    http://www.shutupandrun.net/2015/10/my-11-tips-to-having-most-kick-*kitten*-long.html?m=1

Perhaps the best list of tips I've come across ;-)

I just clicked and it says the page does not exist. I tried viewing it as the webpage and that says the same thing :(
    ETA**Scratch that....you have to click HOME to see it. My bad!

Sorry, it appears MFP censored the link.

• tomfit1250
    tomfit1250 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ok. I am in for 60. Just run for excercise.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    Platte River Half Marathon registration is open. I want to sign up. But. I've only done a couple of 5k's and they were only "fun runs". No timing chip, not certified courses etc. I just restarted the C25k, today is W1D3. The HM is April 10. Is it reasonable/feasible for me (pretty new to running, only since June-ish) to think this is something I could pull off?

It depends on your dedication and the time you have available to train but I went from non runner to HM in just under 6 months.

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Nov 01      6.5      6.5

exercise.png
  • Virkati
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

It depends on your dedication and the time you have available to train but I went from non runner to HM in just under 6 months.

Can you suggest a solid training program or should I try to design one for myself?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 10 miles

10 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

I'll have to catch up on everyone later, running so behind today. I do have to say I was running the hood this morning and ran into the gentleman I was telling you all about the ran a marathon in every state. We stopped to chat and he was so nice gave me good advice about tapering and just is the sweetest man.
  • ellerist
    ellerist Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    First time trying this. I mainly walk but am transitioning to running. My goal for November will be 75 miles.

exercise.png

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! After missing Octobers running challenge completely (why does moving to a new apartment take so much time and energy?), I'm happy to be back this month. I missed you guys :)

I don't think I'll set a distance goal this month. After scratching the 100km-mark for most month this year, the sad total for September and October combined was around 30km, and I feel like all endurance I ever might have had is completely gone.
    I'll aim for "at least 12 runs in November" instead, to get back into the game.
  • JenDetermined
    JenDetermined Posts: 38 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Long run day!

exercise.png

• JenDetermined
    JenDetermined Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEj_zLVaJ_c

180 BMP for those of us who need a reference or something to listen to. It has also helped me understand the discussion held a few days ago about the difference between cadence, pace, and stride length. Until I heard this I just didn't get it. I do now!

Wow, beautifully illustrated. Who is the musician?
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Did a quick run around the neighborhood this morning--which got cut short when I called my husband to come pick me up at the train station. My pleasantly cool drizzle turned into a downpour and I was decidedly under-dressed (and damp)!

11/1 3.1 @ 11:15 street/trail run

I was pleased to see that my 3rd mile split was 10:54--I'm getting a little faster at these outdoor runs! This was especially good because it was slippery and damp and included a water crossing. There are lots of health advantages to running, but one I never expected is that it is *really* good for improving balance!
  • Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm shooting for 60 or more this month! Got 5 in today, 12 in the past 3 days! Starting this month off strong and will be starting to train for my half this spring! Here is a picture of Timber and I today. Tested out my new sneaks and sleeves! xktfm26n9ghl.jpg
  • Virkati
    Options
    @JenDetermined .. her name is Lindsey Stirling AND she's on Pandora! I'm heading out for my run and she's going to be in my ear the whole time. I'm anxious to see if I can do 180 or if I'm just not ready yet. But at least it's beautiful music :)
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thought why not to share my kids' halloween photo :) introducing Nadim and Sophie!

fzoon1fowaxw.jpg
  • helen2307
    helen2307 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello I would like to join for November but 60 miles I think would too ambitious for me as I'm just starting back after a break of a couple of years
  • Virkati
    Options
    11/1 - 3.81 miles W1 D3 C25k...tried hard to use 180, can say it felt like I wasn't working nearly as hard as before. They were baby steps compared to my usual stride and I think it was an improvement.

exercise.png