INTERMITTENT FASTING.....anyone?

Options
Hey guys I just joined MFP (again) and was wondering who's doing IF(intermittent fasting). I'm mainly doing it for weight loss (20kgs to go, I'm only 4'11), but also for bloating since I don't find myself bloated all the time if I eat later the next day and earlier the night before.
It also makes me feel in control with my eating, and also, i'm being flexible with my "diet". So please feel free to add me if you're also doing this way of eating or starting out, or comment on here and I'll add u.
My goal is to basically lose weight and gain muscle ..... ok cheers x

Replies

• veranj25
    veranj25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hi i jus started on monday m hopin i can lose i hav a lot to lose,im doin 16:8 daily fasts eat between 12noon and 8pm, all the best
  • BBryans07
    BBryans07 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Honestly when I did IF I felt great for the first month or so but as I kept going I noticed my stress levels seemed higher. I actually ended up with full blown anxiety and random panic attacks that seemed to ruin my life for several weeks. The doctor blamed my eating habits when I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. I don't have the science to back it up, but if you are working a stressful job, I think it can have very negative effects on your overall health. Now that I eat more regularly and healthy I feel so much better. IF might work great for some people, but it also can have some bad effects or others. Just be careful and listen to your body.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    If anything, I feel calmer, more relaxed, with less anxiety, greater mental clarity and endless energy while fasting. My usual pattern of IF is 23:1 daily, while eating a Keto diet. I also practice more extended water fasts of 36-48 hours weekly. I completed my first 72 hour fast on Sunday and feel great, despite a stressful job.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've been practicing Intermittent Fasting for longer than I knew it had a name.
    I came by it organically, because as a teenager I noticed that if I ate breakfast I couldn't stay awake in class. When I decided to skip breakfast and then later decided lunch would only be a piece of fruit, my grades went way up.
    As an adult I read the book the warrior diet and understood why this worked for me.
    I am now 54 and still eat this way, and while I come from a family of overweight females, I'm the only one who has never been outside of a normal BMI.
    I loosely follow a 16:8 schedule. I believe that a lot of people who try to follow IF don't listen to their bodies. There are days that I eat nothing until 5pm and don't even notice the time and then there are days that at 1pm I feel that I need something and have a handful of almonds and an apple.
    I think people need to learn to eat intuitively, and lesson to their bodies, and not have society or the clock tell them when their body needs fuel.
    By the way, I'm on MFP for the last 2 months to lose 10 lbs that I couldn't seem to lose since turning 50 and between MFP and IF I've lost 6 lbs so far.
  • GreenKay
    GreenKay Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    15:9 is a natural cycle for me and always has been. I did spend about 6 years choking down breakfast under the influence of the "most important meal" mantra that all the "experts" expounded since the 90's. It brought me from chubby to fat. Well, not just that, but it helped.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    GreenKay wrote: »
    15:9 is a natural cycle for me and always has been. I did spend about 6 years choking down breakfast under the influence of the "most important meal" mantra that all the "experts" expounded since the 90's. It brought me from chubby to fat. Well, not just that, but it helped.

You are too funny! You made me spit out my 10:30 at night IF hot chocolate!
  • LopezLCVT
    LopezLCVT Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just started #intermittentfasting and looking for friends that are doing the same thing. So please, feel free to add me. We can lose weight and can make all kinds of gains.... All kinds..
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Been doing IF for like 5 months, and it's what keeps me on track. I eat from 4p-9p, sleep at night and then work the next morning before I eat again...not sure how I'd reach my calorie goals if I were trying to eat more often, but I imagine I'd have a lot more small/unsatisfying meals.

• mslilah85
    mslilah85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day on Intermittent fasting. My dinner time is at 10pm when i get home from work, on my break at 8pm i will eat some fruit ADD me lets fast together:)
  • krazyclare
    krazyclare Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    veranj25 wrote: »
    hi i jus started on monday m hopin i can lose i hav a lot to lose,im doin 16:8 daily fasts eat between 12noon and 8pm, all the best

• krazyclare
    krazyclare Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm doing IF so add me
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did alternate day IF for the weight loss phase and then a 5:2/18:6 IF hybred for maintenance. It's worked really well when I've stayed focused, but the last few months I've lost that and here I am, up over my maintenance range blech. Re-focusing and will be getting stricter about IF again to lose the creep and get back into maintenance.

• CharlotteALC93
    CharlotteALC93 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do it in the form of 4 or 5 days normal healthy eating and 3 days hardcore calorie restricting :) I love it because just as I start to use my calories in the form of naughty food, I start the 3 days and it makes me appreciate fruit, veg, porridge. Completely resets my eating so I don't turn to junk. Really keeps me in control :)
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Me! I just started 16:8 yesterday and am really hoping it will help me! Add me anybody!
    :) [/quote]

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF for more than 2 months now, 18:6. Unless I need to, I don't think I will ever stop.

I tried and failed 5:2, I think I will give it another try.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If has helped me tremendously by controlling hunger. Two weeks on and one weeks off. 16 hours fast a day. Did this for three months. Im thinking of stopping IF altogether. I have learned how to manage now without it. Lost 18 pounds not by IF....but with endurance and determination.

• retailwizard1
    retailwizard1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I used to at times do no eating for 3 days... very difficult but would lose 10 pounds. .. then gradually go back to regular diet... woukd gain back 5.. probably water weight but the other 5 woukd stay off...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I used to at times do no eating for 3 days... very difficult but would lose 10 pounds. .. then gradually go back to regular diet... woukd gain back 5.. probably water weight but the other 5 woukd stay off...

That's not IF, that's an eating disorder