Anyone had luck becoming a runner by "winging it" instead of using a structured training program?

Options
Just curious if anyone has managed to become a runner without using a program like Couch to 5K or Runkeeper's training programs. I'm overweight and have some issues with a previously broken ankle and plantar fasciitis, so I'd recently jut been going for walks and running when I felt like it, but thought that maybe I'd progress faster with a structured training program.

I started with one of Runkeeper's programs and after a workout of intervals today, with my heel not feeling great (unlike other runs where it was fine), I looked at my Google Fit stats and I was actually running only half as many paces as my "winging it" workout a few days previous. But, on the other hand, I also know that increasing mileage needs to happen gradually to avoid injury.

I'm leery of trying to go without any structure, but I haven't felt great with C25K or Runkeeper - anyone else have luck getting to the point of running a 5K without a training program?

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What about a program isn't working for you? Is it pain, or limiting from the issues you have with your feet? I have atrophy in my ankle from when it was broken which causes other performance issues. I have had to work on form, and strength to help balance out my body. I use programs as a guideline, but I have to personalize them to myself.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I didn't use a plan. I just ran. Got on a treadmill one day and ran 2 miles. Ran a 5k the following weekend. Been "winging" it ever sense. Am I a runner? I don't know, but I run a bit. 10-15 miles per week usually in 2.8-3.5 mile increments with a long 5-8 mile run once per week.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I didn't use a program. I got on and ran as much as I could, walked until I caught my breath, ran again.
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did 5k without any structured plan just gradually built up the speed. Started with intervals of jogging and walking.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    What about a program isn't working for you? Is it pain, or limiting from the issues you have with your feet? I have atrophy in my ankle from when it was broken which causes other performance issues. I have had to work on form, and strength to help balance out my body. I use programs as a guideline, but I have to personalize them to myself.

I was just surprised that I covered less running distance and experienced more pain with the structured intervals. I could probably apply some psychology to my reservations and say that I'm afraid of not having a definitive criteria by which to measure progress and success, and without a structured program I'm left to decide whether I'm happy with myself.

Anyway, the purpose of creating the thread was just to see if anyone had managed to become a successful runner without the structure :)
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The human body was meant to run. You don't need to use any particular program to get started, or to get better. People use them because they find them motivating or fun or confidence-building. If you don't, no need.

I started running by going to the track at the gym (1/8th mile) and running around once, then walking. I alternated for 20 minutes. The next time I went I ran around twice, then walked once. Etc. I worked my way up to running a mile.

Eventually, once I loved running and wanted to start racing, I started using training plans - not to get faster, because I don't care about that, but to make sure I was both challenging myself and ramping up in a smart way.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Nope. I tried to run on-and-off for years and never had much success until I buckled down and did something structured with clear guidelines for progression.

Also, for most people who start running, the problem is that they tend to try to do too much too fast and get burned out or hurt themselves, which something structured can help combat.

It's obviously not impossible to figure out yourself, lots of people have done and it and people ran long before you could get a training program off the internet, but personally, following a plan made it ten times easier for me (and continues to do so - I'm working through a half-marathon plan right now.)
  • gregthomas02
    gregthomas02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember I've always struggled to run no longer than a couple of minutes. In May I decided to see if I can change that so started using the treadmill frequently at my gym. At first I'd run 2 minutes, walk 5 minutes then repeat. After a week I found that I could run 3 minutes then walk 2, I continued to run longer and walk less. Eventually I got to the point where I'm running 40 minutes (5K) without walking, I then decided to improve the pace I ran eventually getting down to 30 minutes on the treadmill. I decided then to start running outdoors and build up a "feel" for running on different surfaces.

Last Sunday I ran my first ever 5k run and completed it in just over 25 minutes.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run, or so I thought, because of knee pain. It was because I would go out and start with 2 or 3 miles. So I decided to walk downtown in the morning. To relieve boredom I started playing Ingress.com a GPS location based game which is kind of like a global game of capture the flag. I then started running from portal to portal to attack the other team more. The slow increase and intervals got me to a point that I became a "runner". I ended up running about 25 to thirty miles a week and losing 50 pounds. I opened the paper on Friday morning after my run and saw a half marathon on the following day and decided to enter. I did fine (1:56:30) and had fun. So I accidentally hit on a good training program. I settled into a 4.5 miles on MWF with a Nautilus set in the middle, 7 miles on TT and a 10 mile long run on Sunday. I too was using a step tracker at first but switched to Runkeeper for better accuracy and to try and improve my time a little each day. I still play Ingress and am at Level 14 if anyone is wondering. It is more fun in urban or campus settings due to higher concentration of portals.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I kept getting side-stitches and nausea when i would just "wing it" because i didn't know how to pace myself and just went balls-to-the-wall and got winded, and would walk and try again.

Once i switched to a structured program (i used zombies! run) I found myself actually being able to run (while not as hard and not as far) more continuously and i didn't get side pain, dizzy, etc.

It's up to you and whatever works best for you.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I think you need to do what works best for you. I just started running very short distances, and they got longer. It ended up in a marathon many years later. I still run a few miles here and there, but am now doing workout DVD's and like someone pushing me. This is after me running on my own for 40 years. Go figure. There isn't any right or wrong, or better or worse, as long as you don't get injured and it's working. I also have plantar fasciitis and since that has started I get new shoes every 6 months or so, and inserts. That's helped a lot. Walking really aggravates it, so if I can get 2 miles done in 20 minutes that's less of an irritant than 2 miles of slow walking over an hour, for example. That's been a trial and error thing for me to figure out however.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the stories! It's good to hear that some people have had success without a program.
  • lilyrunner
    lilyrunner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes. I run about 5-8 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Took some time to get to this point. I bought a good pair of shoes and started out slowly. I read a lot of books about running too. Be at it about three years, no injuries. I run outside and truly enjoy it. This summer I worked on my speed. On the days when I am not running I walk outside. No gym, no treadmill. Being outside is just what works for me. Finding new running trails all the time. But I love the loop!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I didn't use a program. I got on and ran as much as I could, walked until I caught my breath, ran again.

Same for me.

Always pays to be cautious though, and build up speed/distance gradually, giving your body time to rest and recover.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I started running without any kind of program to follow. However, I spoke with one of my runner friends and read into it quite a bit before I started, so I was definitely prepared.

Then I started doing races, and that's when I started following a program (Hal Higdon).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has managed to become a runner without using a program like Couch to 5K or Runkeeper's training programs. I'm overweight and have some issues with a previously broken ankle and plantar fasciitis, so I'd recently jut been going for walks and running when I felt like it, but thought that maybe I'd progress faster with a structured training program.

I started with one of Runkeeper's programs and after a workout of intervals today, with my heel not feeling great (unlike other runs where it was fine), I looked at my Google Fit stats and I was actually running only half as many paces as my "winging it" workout a few days previous. But, on the other hand, I also know that increasing mileage needs to happen gradually to avoid injury.

I'm leery of trying to go without any structure, but I haven't felt great with C25K or Runkeeper - anyone else have luck getting to the point of running a 5K without a training program?

So here's the question - is the bad heel a result of Runkeeper's intervals, or did 'winging it' catch up to you coincidentally when you decided to follow a structured program?

If the running is causing the problem, I'd think it's more likely you're hurting because you over did it while 'winging it'. But, maybe it isn't the running. Maybe it's the walking causing you a problem (especially if you're trying to walk fast). In that case it probably is the intervals.

Personally, I used Zombies, 5K to start running - I just made sure to run all of the optional run/walk periods. Worked well for me. After that, I winged it to 10K (in a week - not my brightest idea but it worked). Then followed Hal Higdon's plan to a half-marathon.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I read one author that suggested running as far as you can, then walking, then running. Intervals without a timer. For this to work I'd think, you'd have to be pretty in tune with your body's signals, pushing to get the cardio up, and dialing back for joint/muscular pain.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I got into running by winging it. I'd run for a song and then walk for a song. I gradually increased to running for 2 songs and so on.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Not only have I never used a training program to learn to run, I've also never followed a structured training plan for running marathons & ultras.

When I was learning to run, my goal each time I went out was to complete a distance of 5km. At first it was 20-30 seconds of running followed by 5-10 minutes of recovery walking (I was 200lbs and very out of shape). It took about 4 weeks before I could slowly run the full 5km. After that I started adding in a km every week or two onto my weekly 'long' run. If something didn't feel right or I was hurting, I backed off. It worked for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I never used any kind of program. It was a struggle in the beginning, as I'm sure it is for most, but I eventually found my stride (pun intended) and now I'm a fairly accomplished runner. At least by my standards.