WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• susb
    susb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Last night my adult son dropped over for supper, I made a chicken andouille jambalaya. He and my husband ate it. I ate smothered cabbage, sautéed spinach, salad, 1 small chicken breast and a half of an over nuked sweet potato. I have to admit my meal was full of flavor and kept me on track.

We can eat well and enjoy the healthy foods that help us reach our goals!

❤️ Susan

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Awake since 2am. Got out of bed before 4. My mind was racing. My hips are aching. My face hurts (right eye slightly blackened) where Bruno head-butted me in his excitement to go for a walk last night. It's going to be a very long day.

It's time to start the circus.

Have a good day!

Sylvia
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Way to go Cheri! I loved the last pic with the maple leaves on the sidewalk. Last week when I was out walking in Stockholm I saw a 2-year-old plowing joyfully through fallen linden leaves with a stick. I'm 60 but I couldn't resist following after him, kicking my way through the deepest piles. Later I grabbed a whole bunch of leaves and threw them into the air. A man walking the other way looked at me and smiled.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

What fun! I must admit when walking with my husband over the weekend he had quite a bit of fun shuffling his feet thru the leaves in our path. Unfortunately, rain and wind are heading our way so those leaves have little chance of surviving much longer.

Cheri in NE Ohio
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Thanks for the healing wishes for my foot. I'm hoping it gets better on its own. I'm thinking planter fasciitis. I'm taking it easy. Swimming and lifting and painting didn't hurt it. Walking is uncomfortable. I will work out around it!

Mary from Minnesota

:'( Mary, I am sorry to hear about your foot especially because I have had weeks of walking in pain. The foot splint that I'm wearing to bed is usually prescribed for plantar fasciitis. I wish you a speedy recovery and a plan to walk in spite of the pain.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Joyce – so sorry you are still having problems. Yes, a positive C-diff usually comes as a “critical result”, and I as the receptionist would transfer that call to either of the Doctors or the RN working. Have you filled-out a Consent for each Doctor to talk to each other? That’s a hard position to remember, but hopefully they have flags in their EMR. Hugs ! ! ! // I loved watching ALF. So funny about your cat !

Karen
    – your pie crust story is so funny. One time DH left all the gizzard and heart, etc in the plastic bag inside the turkey when he cooked it. And one time as a kid I was in charge of making coffee, and I didn’t know there were numerous filters together that needed to be separated before putting in to brew. Your story is VERY funny.

Janetr – that is a super cute llama. I had no idea they were born so big a fluffy. Thanks for sharing ! ! !

DJ – sorry about the long wait with your friend. I always schedule the last appointment on Friday to see my Rheumatologist. This way I miss the least amount of work, and it is Friday evening, so everybody wants to go home. The downside of that is I feel like she is rushing me and I don’t always get to tell her or ask her everything ( but since I work in a clinic, I can usually ask someone at work, and will either get an answer or a good Website for research).

Rori – Hugs and Prayers for you and your DH on this medical problem. Melanoma is a tough one, and it sounds like his is quite large. Prayers that lymph nodes are not involved, and that the medical staff has clear minds, steady hands, and strong backs during surgery !

Jenna – Congrats on your currently boring life. I am envious. Keep up the good work !

Although I am far from a professional, one thing that helped my DH with his plantar Fasciitis was inserts from The Good Feet Store. I’m certain there are many just as good or better, and that may be cheaper, I just don’t know the alternatives. We also roll our feet on golf balls or frozen bottles of water when our work day is done. Hugs for everyone struggling to find enough movement. You have my empathy.

My pet-peeve about scheduling doctor appointments: “I missed work yesterday because I have a cold, and I’m not going to work today, so I need a doctor’s excuse”. Me: “do you have fever or chills or any other symptoms?” “no, it’s just a cold”. Really, then suck it up and go to work ! ! ! So now the schedule is full, and if someone calls who is REALLY sick or injured, they have to wait for a different day, or go somewhere else, or have a long time waiting in our rooms because the doctor will be double-booked, which isn’t fair to anyone. Thanks, rant complete.

Sunday while working on the roof, I sent DS up with the leaf blower and extra-long heavy-duty extension cord. Dad plugged it in, then dropped the rest of the cord off the roof to be plugged in. He didn’t look and dropped it on me. (insert sad face here). Now my shoulder has a bruise. :(

Yesterday after work I picked up the TV that I won. It is a 40 inch Haier. They recognized me before I even walked in the door. That was a very nice feeling. I knew that they would miss my DS when he didn’t shop with me (I tease him that he has a 21 year old girlfriend who works at that store), but it was nice that they recognized me, too. There was not enough room in my tiny little Caddy for me, DS, DH and a 40 inch TV, so I sent DS and DH home in my car, and I shopped while I waited for my Dad to come and bring me and the TV home.

Also yesterday I was thrilled with how much food I was able to eat while completely avoiding white carbs (yes, I had 4 pretzel nuggets while warming up my supper, but I was just too starving to wait, and extreme hunger creates poor decisions, so 4 pretzel nuggets released the feeling of urgency).

I arrived early to work again today, but had to start with a cup of coffee, because my decades-old espresso maker went to coffee pot heaven this morning. I was still able to ride the bike for 20 minutes. Cheers with your next beverage of choice are being encouraged in lieu of flowers. Thanks.

DH is home today because he cracked another tooth, so he needs to see the Dentist again. This time a molar on the opposite side, so I doubt they will remove both cracked teeth during the same procedure. I think they should, because a liquid diet for a few days would do him some good, and he might be surprised by how good he feels after eating the healthy stuff I put in the blender for him, but we likely will never know.

DH is listed as Boys Varsity Bowling Coach, so I will need to be at practice today to help him manage his words with last year's Boys Varsity Coach, who is being demoted to assistant coach (DH's traumatic brain injury removed all filters).

Now, back to work. I'm taking a CBT on HIPAA (snore).

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (temps 55-65 again today)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    morning again ladies~
    I am having a tad bit of a pitty party for myself..
    I am not in a great frame of mind right now..im just feeling overwhelmed and I know I know, your all going to tell me I need to take time for myself.. I will be getting a massage on Saterday.. so that is the one good thing..
    I went down and fed my DFIL , he is always is glad to see me as is the residents...
    then went to see my DB I will be watching momma (Faith ) thursday ,friday and Saterday, I have to work Saterday morning,so will have to go wake her up and do her insulin and meds before work at 7:30.
    I know I am always doing for other's and get pooped on in return and it is my fault because I let happen.. but I would love to just have something wonderful happen.. or I get something nice , or just anything nice.. I am just run down and need a vacation and wont get one until mid december.. and then we shall see how things are going with Tom..
    I am sitting with a nice cup of Honey Lemon tea after just trying to wash Homer in the sink with a de skunky shampoo...
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

MicheleNC, I hope the doc can get rid of that plantar wart for you. They are such a bother and often very painful.

Jenna, when are you going to tell DH that you have chosen to eat healthier and forgo desserts as a new lifestyle? That way he will know not to be bringing you such things. My life is very dull and I definitely like it that way. No issues, no drama means no stress over anything. Good for you.

Pascale, welcome. This is a very supportive group of ladies as well as full of useful information. Come often and you will find the support you seek. It sounds like you are off to a good start. MFP works if you log everything you eat and drink. Good luck.

Allison, it does sound like you had a day. Remember to take care of yourself while you are caring for everyone else. (((Hugs)))

Penny, sorry you are getting a cold. I swear by Cold EeZe. I start using it as soon as I feel a cold coming on and it seems to really do the trick. I can’t imagine having to ride that bike for 45 minutes. Good for you to be able to do it. Hope you feel better soon.

Heather, sending loving thoughts for you to feel better and get back up to snuff real soon. I just hate it when I feel a bit down and can’t work myself out of it. I often feel that I have the control if I just use it but sometimes the truth is that we can’t convince ourselves that the sun is shining on a gloomy day. ((((Hugs))))

Sylvia, sorry that Bruno gave you a black eye, but more so that your hips are aching. Hope you feel better soon!! (((Hugs)))

I read all the post rather quickly this morning so missed responding to many. My thoughts are with all you wonderful ladies and your families. I pray that we all heal quickly and have bright days in our futures. My weight was up 2 pounds this morning, which I know is temporary but why couldn’t it be down 2? Oh yes, because of what I have been eating. That’s right. Thank goodness I haven’t been drinking the past 3 or 4 days or it would be worse. I hate missing line dancing yesterday because I needed that exercise. Time to get serious. Congrats to all of you with victories. (((Hugs))) to all that need them. Keep up the good work to those who are doing good jobs, and a kick in the rear to those of us that need them. Let’s do this, my friends.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

purdy llama,
    purdy bowl,
    fanncy- sorry to hear about your footsies
    welcome walkinchik !
    lagopus - way to go on the bike ride!! the butt thing is just something you'll get used to. get bike shorts, they have padding.
    way to go with your meal susb!
    bummer bout the eyeball - that is proof that your poocher loves you, whippet!
    love your new profile pic barbiecat
    love your rant terri_mom
    love you grandmallie - nowwww... wasn't that nice of me?????? {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}

welcome new peeps -

this Thursday will be 6 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! since the surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my app. isn't til the 10th so I've decided to keep the sling on til that app.

type to ya later
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Terri - he is baby number four in three years. Mama llama carries them for 11 months. He is a few hours old in this picture, so he is all dried off. He definitely is the tallest baby so far.

Janetr OKC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »

My pet-peeve about scheduling doctor appointments: “I missed work yesterday because I have a cold, and I’m not going to work today, so I need a doctor’s excuse”. Me: “do you have fever or chills or any other symptoms?” “no, it’s just a cold”. Really, then suck it up and go to work ! ! ! So now the schedule is full, and if someone calls who is REALLY sick or injured, they have to wait for a different day, or go somewhere else, or have a long time waiting in our rooms because the doctor will be double-booked, which isn’t fair to anyone. Thanks, )

And then the flip side to this: my pet peeve is places that won't let you miss a couple of days for a cold without a doctor's excuse. So, instead of staying home and getting the rest that you need, you suck it up and go to work to give all your co-workers your germs.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    WalkinChik & other newbies: Welcome to a great group! :smiley:

Penny: I had Tinker Toys, too. I'd forgotten about them. What a nice memory. Thanks! :heart: My recommendations for cold remedies are sleep and Vitamin C. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Pain can surely suck the joy out of life. I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Hugs. :flowerforyou:

Alison: Hugs to you, too. :flowerforyou:

A painter is supposed to come today to paint the trim surrounding our new windows. I hope he actually shows up. I don't have a lot of confidence in him because he is a total stranger and has not worked for us before. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.HIF790~14.GIF Just checking in. 30 minute swim done today (and I was really working hard at it too). Food logged and planned.

Any recommendations on scale? Mine drives me nuts...it keeps fluctuating and if step on it 3 times I get 3 different numbers.

Pascale Welcome to the board. I'm pretty new here also but have already found some good advice and inspiration.

Probably won't check in tonight as we are going to a night playoff soccer game for my son.
    Have a good rest of the day

Kimses in MA

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Rori - sending good thoughts to you and DH

Jenna – that was nice of DH, but seems it is time to chat with him about your new food life style

Pascale – welcome!

Penny – my cold remedy is sleep (lots) extra fluids, and extra vit. C

Heather – hang in - For me the ONLY way is to carry the posh shoes… here it is done all the time… tons of gals on the train into san Francisco have tennis shoes on (trainers in UK) and a bag with “work” heels …
    Alison – on top of everything Homer tangled with a snunk?!!! Yuck!

Janetr – Mom Llamas are prego for 11 months and she has had 4 in 3 years…. That math doesn’t work.

November Goals -
    Attend yoga each wednesday evening
    Walk everyday –would like to see 160 miles
    continue counseling and hold my weight where it is as I deal with my current set of emotional issues
    weekly fun things
    W1 –
    W2-
    W3-
    W4
    Kim from N. California
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    e6jkaewjionq.jpg
    Another beautiful day in New England.
    Hope all of you have as nice a day as I am enjoying.
    Chris in MA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Nearly all packed. My makeup bag washed and drying! :D Street view checked (not been to my friend's apartment before- looks a bit of a warren) and hotel info logged. Might check in tomorrow morning.
    Feel a bit better now. One problem I have is that I am conflicted about this old friend. Hence I am staying in a hotel, not in her super expensive apartment. The finances are dicey (husband tax exile) and she is troubled to say the least. Never mind. I will have the company of my other friends and the comfort of my own space.
    I have decided to wear flattish ankle boots with my Little Black Dress. And leggings and socks. And a bomber jacket. Bling necklace. I think I will be right on trend - for an 18 year old! :laugh:

All set.
    Welcome Pascale!

Heather UK

Hes
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I managed two hours of gardening this morning in spite of still being in pain from Halloween. Cleaned up most of my hell strip. There were still some blooms on the two asters (magenta) so I left them, but got the irises, day lilies, peonies, and others cut down and pulled up about a bushel of vinca (it is a ground cover but should never be planted among other plants since it crawls all through them). Need to give my hips and lower spine a break so headed to bed to read now.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to report that I went for a brief walk and it is 70 degrees and Not One Single Cloud--highly unusual for where I live during November. If only I did not have to be at work...
    Hugs for the people with medical woes.
    Welcome Pascale!
    Betty