Why wouldn't someone want to lose weight?!

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Some people are in denial.
    Some people are too lazy.
    Some people have food addiction or emotional issues.

My mom needs to lose weight. She is beyond morbidly obese. She has fatty deposits on her arms that are pushing on her nerves. She avoids doctors so she can remain in denial. She smokes and has COPD. She won't change. Like, if anyone needed Dr. Now from My 600 Lb Life, it would be my mom.

She will die at a youngish age due to her bad eating, her smoking and not taking care of any possible health issues. That is what she wants so I don't say anything.

That's sad. I'm sorry.

I met a friend's mother who is the same way. She doesn't care. She lost her husband a few years ago. She seemed to believe that weight isn't an issue and that women in her family live long though, so what can you do.

But sometimes you have to wonder, when I see the way my grandparents and my mother in law are/were 'living' in their last years... maybe dying younger isn't always such a bad thing (dementia/alzheimer/strokes).
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”

― Wendy Mass, The Candymakers

There is only so much you can do. I just make sure I am available when someone needs my help and try not to offer it unsolicited.
  • christyg74
    christyg74 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! At first, I was taken back by your question, but it made me really think as to why I waited so long to lose weight. It was personally very eye opening.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It is really frustrating to hear close ones complain about ANY deleterious situation that they remain in. Truly, all we can do is see to ourselves. Perhaps an example of successful change right there in front of them would permeate the roadblocks or excuses and inspire them. But that's kind of a long shot.
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Change is often scary and therefore not sought after. Most folks actively avoid it!

Sometimes being what others don't like is a big ole FU to them. Maybe dumb to punish yourself to hurt others. But peeps do it.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to until I wanted to. But isn't that true for everyone here? None of us got here by eating properly, did we?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    For as many different people who have weight to lose, each of them probably has many different reasons why they're overweight in the first place. When you then compound the fact that your looking at multiple problems that a person has to deal with before addressing ingrained habits, it's easy to see why there's not really an easy answer to the question in the original post.

Overeating can be both psychological and behavioral. A person has to deal with a lot of mental roadblocks to get the psychological reasons out of the way before they can start addressing the behavioral issues. This is hard, challenging stuff and there are often lots of false starts. It can seem overwhelming, and many people would just rather not try than try to face all this, not knowing where to start dealing with it all.
  • adhebert8
    adhebert8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's hard. It even harder on days when depression makes it where you don't even want to get up or even wake up. It's hard to be the only one not able to eat 3-4 slices of pizza at a party. It's hard to decline the cupcakes from the celebration at work. It's hard to wait for your results often over year. I could go on and on. You have to be in the right mindset and ready because it's going to be really hard.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I personally think of a lot of comes from a combination of confusion about what works for any one person and what is so readily available/pushed in our society relative to food (at least the US). People can get very frustrated when they're trying to do something "right" and get little/no results. Or the results are temporary and they regain the weight. And finding out what is "right" for you can very so much on the individual. When you're a person that hasn't found a good, longterm sustainable way of eating, it can feel like you're perpetually fighting a losing battle.

I know that I followed various types of advice over the years without really understanding the underlying science (and even that is still very much in debate). When I finally found what worked for me, it was shockingly easy -- like 5% of the effort I used to expend But, before that, it was shockingly hard.

Plus, weight creeps on a little at a time and people adjust. At my heaviest, I was only 30 lbs over my ideal body weight and that felt like a TON. I literally cannot imagine being 50, 75, 100+ lbs overweight -- it just boggles my mind knowing how unhappy I was with that 30 lbs. But, come here to MFP and there are many, many people that have lost that sort of weight or are trying to lose that sort of weight. I think it's very insidious and easy to not realize how bad it is sometimes.
  • tennis4lissa
    tennis4lissa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's true of everything people complain about. Change of any situation is hard, sometimes they just want to vent, sometimes they're looking for help. Offer to help if they'd like it, if they deny then the next time they complain tell them your offer still stands...whenever they'd like to change"x" situation to let you know and you'd be happy to help!! I have this situation with a few friends who complain about having no money...every problem is hard. But it's not your problem, don't worry about others it will drive you crazy trying to make everyone work on their problems or convince them their life will be better if...Trust me I've tried
  • tennis4lissa
    Options
    The second half of my comment didn't post! My weight loss journey!! It's really hard to start and stay consistent! Especially when no one around you says anything about your weight etc. the only one making me feel bad was me so I was the one who had to force myself to start! And now I'm the only one on the healthy eating and exercise train...my BF can eat whatever and be thin so he does!! It's obviously the worst when you're clothes shopping but you have to make a choice every day in order to change that one day of clothes shopping...for most people we just "don't worry about it"!

• tennis4lissa
    Options
    [quote="lindsey1979;34492859"
    Plus, weight creeps on a little at a time and people adjust. At my heaviest, I was only 30 lbs over my ideal body weight and that felt like a TON. I literally cannot imagine being 50, 75, 100+ lbs overweight -- it just boggles my mind knowing how unhappy I was with that 30 lbs. But, come here to MFP and there are many, many people that have lost that sort of weight or are trying to lose that sort of weight. I think it's very insidious and easy to not realize how bad it is sometimes.
    [/quote]

I like this part of your comment! It was soooo true for me!! 6 years ago I was 80 pounds lighter...each year I put a little more on! Between kids during pregnancy and a little bit after each as well! I remember asking my BF when we first started dating if I gained 100 pounds would he still love me...just one of those conversations...I never would have thought I'd gain 80 pounds!! But here I am ten pounds down from there and 85 more to go to my ideal!! Most people don't realize how bad it is and those around them don't want to make them feel bad etc!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but being overweight felt safe for me. I was not overweight as a teen. I became overweight as a young adult and yo-yo through to my 50's. When I lost weight in the past and some man gave me the once over, I went into a panic attach. When I gained weight, I became invisible. I am 100% certain it was a result of being a sexual abuse survivor. I also was comforted by food. I had to get healthy mentally before I could get healthy physically. I have survived a once over this summer, without a panic attach, so I have made progress.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    while I was a bit bothered by my weight gain, mostly b/c I had to buy new clothes, till I started having heart problems and pretty much had my doctors tell me if you don't start loosing weight you will more than likely suffer a massive heart attack before you turn 40 (I'm 35)...My husband wasn't bothered by my weight gain and it was so freeing to be able to eat what I liked when I liked and not feel guilty lol I went over bored for a while...plus I have oestoartisis in my hips and back, and when it acted up so bad I couldn't even work, it was easy to forgo workouts.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Obviously can't speak for everyone, but I just didn't give a damn for most of my life. I was going to school, working, and was happy just getting by. When I decided I was ready to start dating, I buckled down and lost a ton of weight. My reason was pure vanity. I want to be with a woman I find attractive, so I made myself more appealing first. It worked!

So, yeah. Not everyone who stays fat is weak willed, or complains a lot. Some people just honestly aren't bothered about it. I never once dieted and failed. I never once tried a fad. I never went in for woo. I just never cared about my weight until the day I did.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    people complain about a lot of things that they never try to change - relationships, job, where they live, etc. Everyone has a point they need to cross before they step up. It's not your problem.

I've never checked in with my weight on here, I doubt I'm the only one.

Actually, it does become my problem when my health rates increase and tax money is going to fund the healthcare system because it is expensive to fund the health costs of obese and morbidly obese people who are not adequately insured. Not trying to be mean, just pointing out that it can affect other people.

Also, as someone who has never been obese, I have often pondered the same question as the OP asked, out of curiosity. Obesity is a growing global problem, and not an issue I can directly relate to aside from seeing obese people when I go out. It's interesting to read the answers because it helps me understand.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    How do you know that everyone who complains about being overweight is doing nothing about it? Have you questioned all of them, asked them to show you their food and exercise logs, gotten a detailed medical history?

I assume that you are a perfect size and weight. You might want to update your profile.

Please tell us all how easy it was to do. I'm sure you're an inspiration to us all.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Change is hard. Now the trend seems to be to rather than change and put in the hard work to be healthy, to deny being fat is even a problem in the first place. The "fat acceptance" movement is in full force and gaining traction and if people don't speak up, the obesity epidemic is only going to get worse.

Me personally though? I didn't change for the longest time because i was dealing with some serious mental health issues and instead of seeking professional help like a smart person would, i medicated myself with food. Ah man...so many years i wish i could have back