Wheat Belly?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Wheat Belly cookbook = recipes without wheat?

Why not just use the cookbooks you have and pick the recipes without, well, wheat if you don't want to eat wheat?
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    As a celiac who actually can't eat gluten (i.e wheat) I have to tell you that the majority of research doesn't back up the wheat belly claims. A lot of people feel better going off wheat simply because they are cutting back on refined carbs. But gluten will not hurt you unless you have an allergy or intolerance. White rice is gluten free but if you eat too much of that you're likely to feel lethargic due to the blood sugar spikes and dips. I would just limit all refined carbs rather than cutting out wheat.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As a celiac who actually can't eat gluten (i.e wheat) I have to tell you that the majority of research doesn't back up the wheat belly claims. A lot of people feel better going off wheat simply because they are cutting back on refined carbs. But gluten will not hurt you unless you have an allergy or intolerance. White rice is gluten free but if you eat too much of that you're likely to feel lethargic due to the blood sugar spikes and dips. I would just limit all refined carbs rather than cutting out wheat.

As someone who is intollerant to all cereal grains and pseudocereal grains, this! ^^^

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think we as Americans eat too much wheat, and most of it is refined. I have tried to get away from the common way of eating and have been exploring less processed foods that are not super popular, but that are amazing on texture and flavor.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wish people wouldn't generalize about how "Americans" eat as if there weren't huge diversity. It's not that uncommon to eat based mostly on whole foods.
  • daliaxh
    daliaxh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Wheat Belly, too. I don't have celiac, but I'm wheat sensitive. That translates to lethargy after I eat it. So I have eliminated wheat, have not swapped it for gluten-free foods because those have other carbs that cause serious spikes in blood sugar, and limit the non-wheat carbs drastically. I can't give up tortilla chips forever, you know! While I don't see much weight loss on the scale, the reason I continue this lifestyle is because the lethargy is gone and because I have thyroid disease, and scaling back on those grains has improved my numbers. I would really love to see the weight drop more, and I work out 4-6 days per week, but maybe age is the newest enemy.

Is anyone else still feeling like the weight doesn't drop as you'd like it to?
  • francheska175
    francheska175 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just bee

n told I'm celiac not got a clue what to eat now , think I'm eating to much fruit and veg any help would be good
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    @francheska175 I was also really overwhelmed when I got diagnosed with celiac 8 years ago. A good place to start is celiac.org (Celiac Disease Foundation) but I highly recommend that you make an appointment with a nutritionist. He or she can help you understand how to avoid gluten and still get the proper nutrition. For you, avoiding gluten will be a lifetime habit. It's not okay to sometimes cheat or it can lead to serious health problems down the road. Feel free to add me and message me if you have any questions.
  • francheska175
    francheska175 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm being sent to a dietician just waiting on appointment to come through , it's on the mean time I'll look on that site for info thank you
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm being sent to a dietician just waiting on appointment to come through , it's on the mean time I'll look on that site for info thank you

celiac.com forums are are really helpful too.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Unless you actually have Celiac's disease, or have been diagnosed as gluten intolerant (which is a minute percentage of the population), there is no reason to cut gluten out of the diet. Most people who think they are having a problem with gluten, in fact, have been found to not have any problems with it, and actually are having issues with other things - and do feel better when following a FODMAP diet.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of vegetables as bases for things - including spiralized vegetables and vegetable "rices."
    It may help you, but this is the best recipe blog for that kind of eating http://inspiralized.com/
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hey there everyone!! My husband and I are starting the wheat belly diet and I wanted to see if there was anyone else out there doing it?! So far we've been doing it for about a month and my husband (who is diabetic) has noticed great drop in blood sugar and weigh loss as well! It seems like it's really the way to go! We aren't doing the Total Health, just the Wheat Belly for now! Anyone with me?!
    No, and I read that book, and Davis made some good points about how we've ruined our collective health with grain products.
    I replaced processed flour products with 100% whole grain alternatives, but I did not go "gluten free". .
    It made a huge difference.

Good luck to you!
  • hazeleyez26
    hazeleyez26 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how your wheat belly diet is going? :) I read the book recently and my husband and I have decided we are going to do it... Just not sure when yet. It's very exciting! Though I know it will be hard since I love everything wheat..
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    As part of another plan that I follow, I was instructed to eliminate all wheat based products until I approached my goal weight. The re-entry phase had you add one food group item at a time so that you could assess the impact it was having on your overall health.

I was totally surprised that when I eliminated wheat, some of the tendonitis type pain that I have had in my elbows went away. I had attributed it to the weight training I have been doing for years and figured I had to live with it but it totally went away. That plus the fact that it converts to sugar so quickly led to it being stricken from my diet completely. Many will say "I could never give up my bread" or toast, English muffin, etc. which goes back to the manufacturer mantra "Bet you can't eat just one."

As has been stated previously, the wheat product that is produced today is far different from what was available in the mid-1900s.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    As part of another plan that I follow, I was instructed to eliminate all wheat based products until I approached my goal weight. The re-entry phase had you add one food group item at a time so that you could assess the impact it was having on your overall health.

I was totally surprised that when I eliminated wheat, some of the tendonitis type pain that I have had in my elbows went away. I had attributed it to the weight training I have been doing for years and figured I had to live with it but it totally went away. That plus the fact that it converts to sugar so quickly led to it being stricken from my diet completely. Many will say "I could never give up my bread" or toast, English muffin, etc. which goes back to the manufacturer mantra "Bet you can't eat just one."

As has been stated previously, the wheat product that is produced today is far different from what was available in the mid-1900s.

People have been eating bread for thousands and thousands of years, way before we had food manufacturers. That slogan is referring to potato chips. I'm not going to deny that bread can be a food that some people struggle with, but there are many, many, many people who can and do eat just one English muffin or piece of bread.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

People have been eating bread for thousands and thousands of years, way before we had food manufacturers. That slogan is referring to potato chips. I'm not going to deny that bread can be a food that some people struggle with, but there are many, many, many people who can and do eat just one English muffin or piece of bread.

exactly this. As I said before, unless you have Celiac disease, it is highly unlikely that you have any issue with gluten. Making other adjustments in your diet (research the FODMAP diet) is likely to achieve the results most people are looking for if they have the symptoms listed in books like Wheat Belly.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

http://www.foodandnutrition.org/Stone-Soup/July-2015/Wheat-Has-Not-Changed/
    Unless someone has a wheat allergy, celiac disease or gluten intolerance (which, combined, is less than 10 percent of the population), there seems to be no scientific reason to avoid wheat, which has not significantly changed since your great grandparents ate it.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Really? Have you even seen a seed-head recently?
    More seeds per head which equates to more yield per acre ......... but it hasn't changed, right?