Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    These are all so great! I need to make myself a nice cup of tea and read the whole thread when I have time. Love how everyone's lunches are so pretty. I bought a bento box in San Francisco almost 20 years ago just for the cuteness factor, used it a couple times then just left it on the kitchen shelf to admire. Couple years ago, same thing with another similar lunch kit from The Container Store. But now, hey... you've all inspired me, and when the school cafeteria closes for Thanksgiving Break, I'm going to Go Bento!
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this thread and haven't read through all the way yet, but I have been enjoying all of the pictures!

I recently discovered a lot of bento containers and accessories on eBay from sellers in Japan. A lot of them have free shipping to North America, UK, EU, Australia, NZ and Asia and the prices are about the same as Daiso (I'm lucky enough to work around the corner from one here in San Francisco!) Just thought that I would share for those that are having trouble finding them! :)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Today's trio of bento-y goodness....h3ox2plt7c1r.jpg
    Salad with chopped egg, almonds, Greek yogurt with cinnamon and a babybel cheese!

I think I miss yoghurt the most out of all dairy; you pic is making my mouth water. Thankfully I don't have to give up on milk in my coffee.

I think my bentoing will be continue to be sporadic until my events part of the year is over at the end of November; I'm getting home too late and sleep is minimal at best. Today is a bagged salad, tinned salmon and marinated eggs :(

Why no yogurt? Are you lactose intolerant?

Mildly. It's only a recent discovery; I can still have dairy, but there is a limit

I was never a big dairy eater as a kid or a young adult, so if I did have it, it was in milk in coffee/tea or butter in cooking. Over the last year I started having a lot more yoghurt and it took about 7 months as I ate it more and more regularly to figure out it was the cause of some gastric issues.

I made Karaage last night, but I'm just pairing it with a salad today. Not a bento box in sight again :(
  • soozy_q
    soozy_q Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    WP_20151108_12_49_29_Pro_zps6utgqtiz.jpg
    WP_20151108_12_52_31_Pro_zpsj6ork2xi.jpg

First try, fairly impressed with the sushi considering I don't have a sushi mat : )
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I am very impressed - I can haz?? #_#

No bento for me today, I was at a con this weekend & my apartment is still a war zone of costumes and worbla samples :p
  • The_Book_Thief
    The_Book_Thief Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been stalking this thread for months, and just started a new account today, but y'all finally talked me in to it.

bznva57m4yph.jpg
    u.jpg 74.1K
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Today's bento... Roast beef, gherkins, mac nuts and cheese.
    ruuu93kpc45b.jpg
    My collection is growing...........
    grucu0pm6ry9.jpg
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ummm so finally putting up "some" :D pictures. Trying to choose my favorites from the last few weeks.

1st one is mine, breakfast box, cuz I could. 335 calories, two egg rolled omelette and turkey sausage with ketchup.
    02c73187629ad5b703465863103f1050.png

Rest is hubby's lunches, aka, leftovers from the last few weeks.

Fresh corn tortilla, shredded Latin beef stew, corn cheese 14360a4ed3145536127c4ff19fc0921a.png
    Baked Tonkatsu with curry & rice and some cheese on the side.
    7879235eb1cb5f1a167282729a582c76.png
    Hambagu (Hamburger) Steak & sauce with mashed potatoes
    b98fb789aed6420127558eae5365b717.png
    Baked chicken strips with BBQ sauce in container, corn, and mashed potatoes
    760a825b97953c31af9d8cf284b664de.jpg
    And lastly (sorry for so many at once!) Baked Korokke (Croquettes) with tonkatsu sauce.
    59d398907b4b0fe421c957bb90cefd2a.png
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    69xbhs29axma.jpg

I think I may have done it. My first picture. Not fancy. Ham, tomatoes, cottage cheese and Babybel.
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First pictured bento for a while. Have been forgetting to take pictures but I got a new wooden bento and have been dying to use it!

g6pd0ej8ii8k.jpg
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    @HanamiDango your lunches look delicious! What kind of breading did you use for the chicken strips?
    @bri170lb hope you're having fun bentoing! ^__^
    @madiao Your lunch...it's so beautiful @__@ Love the look, authentic-Japanese choices, and your tamagoyaki is pretty~
  • Editme12
    Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    xglffynkge7c.jpg

It's tough posting when you have the android app :(

Any-who, first bento for this site.
    Garlic chicken sausage, rice, broccoli, carrots and some pickles. 383 cals. Was very yummy, first time I tried the sausage.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    What kind of bread it that? It's a neat shape :)

I haven't been around, sorry I didn't reply before. Honestly, I don't quite remember what it was called. I found it in Walmart near the bakery. I usually get french rolls or bolillo from safeway but found this one and it was a nice alternative. *looks up in food diary* Wheat bolillio (or bolillo, not sure on the spelling).

I didn't have bentos much before vacation and none during. I don't have a day off until monday but did a little grocery shopping so hopefully I'll have something to post again in the next couple of days.
  • bluefish86
    Options
    @HanamiDango, those croquettes look amazeballs! Do you have a recipe?
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I bet my buttons they're the Baked Korokke from Just one cookbook
  • dymaxxion
    dymaxxion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    4bu0vuipvhbr.jpeg

I love bringing my bento to work so I don't eat terrible takeout!
    This one is romaine lettuce with cucumbers and shakshouka (eggs poached in tomato with spices, peppers and onions). I love seeing everyone else's lunch ideas!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    bunnyxhime wrote: »
    @HanamiDango your lunches look delicious! What kind of breading did you use for the chicken strips?
    @bri170lb hope you're having fun bentoing! ^__^
    @madiao Your lunch...it's so beautiful @__@ Love the look, authentic-Japanese choices, and your tamagoyaki is pretty~
    Thank you, I used panko for the breading with the method from Just One Cookbook website, the using the toasting the crumbs in a pan. I skip the oil and just toast the crumbs.

Thank you for answering for me, that is correct. ^_^
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Back to the bento. Had a long shift so made sure to bring food and snacks as I took more than one break for once. Had chicken breast with a paprika seasoning, spinach, sugar snap peas and peach/pineapple salsa for dinner. Snack was the 8 mate rice cracker mix, sriracha peas, vegetable chips and a little jolly rancher halloween candy.

6248au3459zf.jpg
  • bluefish86
    Options

OMG, I'm drooling...

I need to make these!!!

u4njozvyd8ev.jpg

First time using my egg moulds. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but "sometimes I want my eggs to look like a bear!"
  • MeganDinkins1
    MeganDinkins1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got one of these as a gift, maybe I should try it!