rf1yaz35wvf6.jpg

ahem

Bahahahaha! Love this one :lol:

Send some oil our way.....pffffff
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    So, What Do We Canadians Have To Be Proud Of?

1. Smarties

2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp

3. The size of our footballs fields, one less down, and bigger balls.

4. Baseball is Canadian - First game June 4, 1838 - Ingersoll, ON

5. Lacrosse is Canadian

6. Hockey is Canadian

7. Basketball is Canadian

8. Apple pie is Canadian

9. Mr. Dress-up beats Mr. Rogers

10. Tim Hortons beats Dunkin' Donuts

11. In the war of 1812, started by America , Canadians pushed the Americans back past their White House. Then we burned it, and most of Washington .. We got bored because they ran away. Then, we came home and partied........ Go figure..

12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany .

13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere. EVER. (We got clobbered in the odd battle but prevailed in ALL the wars).

14. Our civil war was fought in a bar and lasted a little over an hour.

15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, he slept in and missed the whole thing. He showed up just in time to get caught.

16. A Canadian invented Standard Time.

17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the world's oldest company.

18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes.
    (That's more information than I need!)

19. We know what to do with the parts of a buffalo.

20. We invented the ski-doo, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, the paint roller, roller skates, duct tape, the jolly-jumper, air conditioned vehicles, the Zamboni, the barcode, the Blackberry and the telephone. Also short wave radios that save countless lives each year.

21. The light bulb was actually invented by a Canadian (Henry Woodward patented it in 1874). The patent was bought by some obscure American named Edison who improved upon the design and took credit for inventing it.

22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.

23. A Canadian invented Superman.

24. We have colored money.

25. Our beer advertisements kick *kitten* {Incidently...so does our beer}

BUT MOST IMPORTANT !

The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on.

OOoohhhhh Canada !!

ummm you forgot POUTINE :p

lol Don't want to brag too much! Wait a minute! Yes I do!

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M99eda50bfc34c9456b7f0bf434cc4967H0&w=165&h=100&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2q05e3ll8ybci.jpg
  • wildrose53
    wildrose53 Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Please forgive the return to geek-dom.

Regarding the price of oil (taxed) and taxes, you get what you pay for. When I've described Canada's public health care system to Americans, many have expressed (legitimate) fears about the cost. How much of our tax dollars goes to health care can be roughly described by comparing American and Canadian tax freedom days. Americans celebrate tax freedom day on April 24, and Canadians on June 6. For the average Canadian, nearly half their salary is taken up by taxes. So roughly speaking, if Americans adopted a similar health care model, they'd be paying an additional two months' salary for it. Which is cheaper ($6,000 per head) than what Americans pay now ($10,000 per head) by the way.

I have noticed that the Canadian social safety net is more extensive than the US as well.

soc_IncIneq_ch1-2012.png
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I checked taxes on oil, and American average combined federal and local taxes comes out to about $0.48 per gallon for gasoline. By comparison, Canadians pay gasoline tax between $0.64 and $1.50 (Vancouver) per gallon.
  • 1320GO
    1320GO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    How do Canadians feel about opportunity to get ahead? I went to night school for 11 years to get a masters level of education and professional certification and worked my way up from clerk to VP level over 30 years by out working my peers. Not smarter but greater perseverance and a belief that in the US it can happen. In Canada?
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    1320GO wrote: »
    How do Canadians feel about opportunity to get ahead? I went to night school for 11 years to get a masters level of education and professional certification and worked my way up from clerk to VP level over 30 years by out working my peers. Not smarter but greater perseverance and a belief that in the US it can happen. In Canada?

Not sure what you are asking. If you work hard here in Canada you can get a head. Opportunities do exist in this country as well.
  • henshemi
    henshemi Posts: 1,981 Member
    Options

Experience gets you ahead.....money can't buy experience. Go to school all you want, but in the field of construction....your still at the bottom. Exp is all that matters
  • 1320GO
    Options
    My daughter was interested in U. Toronto which seems to have a great reputation. She ended up at U. Michigan but we visited the campus and she has it on her list for grad school. She really liked the city and I could see she was thinking about living in Canada.
  • jgnatca
    Options

There is a persistent belief in the US that anybody with grit and determination can "make it". Consider that we have successful entrepreneurs here in Canada too, and we do it with the population of California spread out on a land as broad as Russia. We have great untamed northern spaces, and our population hugs the warmer southern border. Transportation costs, communication costs, and taxes is higher than in the US. I would suggest if a company "makes it" here, we are smart, lean, and terrifyingly competitive compared to our American counterparts. We're opportunists too. Some of our financial elite made their fortunes during the American prohibition for instance.

But of course, not everyone enjoys the fruits of the American dream. Consider the rise of suicide rates in the US after the economic downturn. In a country perceived as being the place of unlimited opportunity, failures may very well blame themselves. They may believe they simply didn't work hard enough.

Canadians are perceived as being conservative, perhaps a little dull, and unfailingly polite. Living in a landscape that can turn deadly on us, I think we depend on collective support, collective effort more than the Americans. You gotta be polite to your neighbour so he will dig you out of the next blizzard. And you'll do the same for him if he gets stuck. Conservative because sometimes the great American dream does NOT work out; so better be safe than sorry.

I'm not saying that this mythos that Americans carry is wrong. It very likely spurs your optimism and enterprise.
  • 1320GO
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. Very interesting.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    rf1yaz35wvf6.jpg

ahem

haha borrowing this!!!!!

and yes, i'm also representing Toronto!

haha @DrFever100 too, as it turn out!

T-Dot represent yo!!!!!

hahah I'm so street sitting at my kitchen island.

We need a T-dot get together!!!
  • icantbelieveiamobese
    Options
    Montreal here but after reading the posts i am moving to the center of the universe TO
  • Magnus_TKN
    Magnus_TKN Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    cmbfn2gh6p6j.jpeg
  • Loves2Lift
    Loves2Lift Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Magnus_TKN wrote: »
    cmbfn2gh6p6j.jpeg

You had to go there!! Have you not seen me more than a little upset?! Hahah
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Stock already sold out, the Trudeau Dreamy Sweater by shelfies:

Dreamy-Trudeau-Sweater-Mask-Front-copy_d3fac07e-d0bd-475e-964e-4ba36b79c162.jpg?v=1446495774
  • 1320GO
    Options
    Canadian women B)
    The end.