How are some people SO skinny?

Options

Replies

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »

It's frustrating to work to lose weight, when there are people with that very skinny frame. I live in the city with the lowest obesity rate in Canada. A large quantity of average thinness (12-15% body fat) and Audrey Hepburn/Taylor Swift thinness, so it can be very easy to feel defeated knowing that your BEST....will always just barely be average...at best.

It's hard to be proud of any accomplishments one makes, when the majority makes better, and bigger accomplishments.

1) YOU work hard. The skinny ones MIGHT not. Maybe staying slim doesn't feel like "work" for them because they don't get the same enjoyment or cravings for food that you do. It's like I don't get drunk but it's not HARD for me. It is for a alcoholic and it's an outstanding achievement for them to stop. Off course some of slim ones stay that way because of hard work and so if you want to have a better sense of achievement
    2) Move to a fatter city :smile:
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'd guess both.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. my husband still fits in his pants from hhigh school (hes 40). He can literally eat what ever he wants and he does. Fast food, high calorie bomb meals, sodas everyday etc. He take his yearly physical and all his blood test come back great.
    Me on the other hand. I track my calories, i work out, all that good stuff....and if i eat a cookie; well i might as well rub it on my thighs, cause thats where its going. lol
    Its frustrating.
    Also my 2 girls from my first marriage have my metabolism. They cant eat like their friends. They have a larger frame. My 14 year old looks like she is 20; curves. My son has my husband metabolism and is a bean pole. He is 8 and eats like a trucker and can still fit his skinny butt in toddler pants.
    Everyone is different. It is frustrating.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I understand we all have different body shapes, and genetics, but some females are so thin (think Audrey Hepburn thin), and it just amazes me how everything just... fits in there.
    I mean is that sort of thinness really genetics or is it a very well-kept diet? By diet - I just mean consumption of food. I don't mean dieting. It just amazes me how small some people are. Do you think they work to retain that very thin frame, or it's a little of both; genetics and healthy diet?

It's frustrating to work to lose weight, when there are people with that very skinny frame. I live in the city with the lowest obesity rate in Canada (and 2nd in all North America apparently, I read Colorado, USA is the 1st) - either way, it's in the lower end of North America and although I'm not obese, I know that my city is composed of mostly very thin and fit females. A large quantity of average thinness (12-15% body fat) and Audrey Hepburn/Taylor Swift thinness, so it can be very easy to feel defeated knowing that your BEST....will always just barely be average...at best.

It's hard to be proud of any accomplishments one makes, when the majority makes better, and bigger accomplishments. Yes, I know we're always told not to compare to one another, but I mean, despite hard work: one forever remaining in the "scraps" department of aesthetics and fitness is saddening. I understand there will always be "someone better", but it's not just...someone...it's pretty much everyone.

I guess that's where accepting one will never be Hepburn skinny/beautiful comes in and one just...deals?

Colorado Represent!!!!!!!! I'm fat though.... so we do exist here

ETA: "Beauty" like Hepburns or any actress or a model is not born. It is made. It is artificially created using appropriate lighting, make up, filters and camera angles. The societal standards of beauty are lies airbrushed onto magazine covers and blared in the faces of the common person as a judgement of what we aren't. You know what we aren't? The products of Adobe Photoshop CS, that's what.

OP, I HIGHLY suggest you watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17j5QzF3kqE

Then this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnvoz91k8hc

Both are very short, and will make you see what I'm talking about.

Never give in to the lie.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    people have different bone structures too...that's genetic. my wife and my best friend's wife are the same height...my best friend's wife is about 110 Lbs and my wife is around 130...my best friends wife has a very small bone structure...she has a tiny frame...like you could snap her in half like a twig. she also doesn't have much in the way of muscle mass and about zero curves.

my wife on the other hand has a larger frame and carries more muscle mass and is fit and athletic and has that fit and athletic look...she would look ridiculous and frankly sickly at 110 if she could even possibly achieve that...her bone structure likely wouldn't allow for it and she'd have to torch a bunch of muscle which would not only look bad, it would just be downright stupid.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    And try your best to never forget, she may have started out looking like that picture in your head......

qiihlcp43qu6.jpg

But we ALL end up looking like this eventually anyway;)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    To be fair Audrey was still a babe as an old lady.

Most of us will never be the cleverest, the fastest, the strongest, the funniest, the most patient, the most creative, or the best at anything, but we can and should still be proud of our own achievements and improvements. That's the only yardstick worth measuring yourself against.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I understand we all have different body shapes, and genetics, but some females are so thin (think Audrey Hepburn thin), and it just amazes me how everything just... fits in there.
    I mean is that sort of thinness really genetics or is it a very well-kept diet? By diet - I just mean consumption of food. I don't mean dieting. It just amazes me how small some people are. Do you think they work to retain that very thin frame, or it's a little of both; genetics and healthy diet?

It's frustrating to work to lose weight, when there are people with that very skinny frame. I live in the city with the lowest obesity rate in Canada (and 2nd in all North America apparently, I read Colorado, USA is the 1st) - either way, it's in the lower end of North America and although I'm not obese, I know that my city is composed of mostly very thin and fit females. A large quantity of average thinness (12-15% body fat) and Audrey Hepburn/Taylor Swift thinness, so it can be very easy to feel defeated knowing that your BEST....will always just barely be average...at best.

It's hard to be proud of any accomplishments one makes, when the majority makes better, and bigger accomplishments. Yes, I know we're always told not to compare to one another, but I mean, despite hard work: one forever remaining in the "scraps" department of aesthetics and fitness is saddening. I understand there will always be "someone better", but it's not just...someone...it's pretty much everyone.

I guess that's where accepting one will never be Hepburn skinny/beautiful comes in and one just...deals?

ETA: "Beauty" like Hepburns or any actress or a model is not born. It is made. It is artificially created using appropriate lighting, make up, filters and camera angles. The societal standards of beauty are lies airbrushed onto magazine covers and blared in the faces of the common person as a judgement of what we aren't. You know what we aren't? The products of Adobe Photoshop CS, that's what.

OP, I HIGHLY suggest you watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17j5QzF3kqE

Then this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnvoz91k8hc

Those videos are fascinating. They really made that model look great! Very pretty before and after!
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yeah, all those Victoria's Secret models are actually terribly ugly in real life and weigh 200 kgs.
    Don't give into the lie!!!!11
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    People are thin for a variety of reasons. Some have eating disorders, and are less healthy than the overweight. Some just naturally lack a strong appetite, or have medical reasons that suppress their appetite. Some eat a normal or even elevated amount, but also burn a ton of calories by being very active. Some people accomplish this "naturally", using their body's hormones to regulate eating, others accomplish this "artificially", by controlling diet and exercise or by medication.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Tbh, beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway.
    Audrey wasn't my idea of a beautiful woman - Marilyn Monroe yes.
    But it always makes me laugh when people say she was quite a big girl. :/
    I think she was a 36-22-35, which in todays' sizing (due to her bust) would be something like a UK 8-10 (US 4-6).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Love yourself, and walk through life with confidence.

I, as someone who has never been over the normal BMI range, could be classed as a naturally slim person by a lot of people. ( I look fat and unfit at the top of that range)

So here is my personal observation:
    1. I do love food, but, I savour it
    2. I hate rushing a meal
    3. I rarely over eat, I dislike a full or bloated feeling.
    4. I dislike most fast/chain restaurant food.
    5. I am not fond of most deep fried food
    6. I don't snack very often
    7. I don't graze
    8. I have never comfort ate.
    9. I am a good cook and make most of my meals
    10. I love my fruit and veg
    11. I prefer a dinner out where the meal is a few smaller, flavourful dishes that takes a couple of hours to consume.

That is obviously just my take on why some people are naturally slimmer than others, because of my personal experience.
    It is probably just as individual as why some people put on weight. Some of the things on my list that I tend not to do, are things that I have often seen posted on this forum as problems people are trying to deal with.

Why am I on this forum, I bought a car, stopped doing dinner and dancing and did dinner and talking instead. I put on 30lb and was unfit. Now I am the weight that I have been most of my adult life but take a size smaller because I am fitter than I was the whole of my adult life.

What Canadian city are you talking about?
    I am in Victoria, BC. Where I observe a good mix of all shapes and sizes.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think she was a 36-22-35, which in todays' sizing (due to her bust) would be something like a UK 8-10 (US 4-6).

No way is that a current UK 8-10

I'm that size and I ain't no Hepburn
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    scyian wrote: »
    It's not good comparing to celebrities whose image is key to their job. You're in control of you and be the best you that you can be.

Well, I wasn't exactly comparing celebrities - I just gave a celebrity name so we'd all be in the same page of the type of thinness I was talking about. My main point was that in my city - most women have that type of body. I really couldn't care about celebrities, and hardly know their names, but...I know that in my city, that sort of....super skinny look is very in, and that ain't going away. It's a trend of all holistic, all organic, natural, all vegan, nutritional, physically fit and super skinny. So it's a trend of both. Those females/males who do not fulfill the formidable muscle shape, fulfill the super Hepburn skinny shape. So either way...working towards my fitness, and working towards my frame - I could never compete with the body (nor the face, but that's a different discussion to keep this discussion more specific)
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin with this. Being a size 0 or having 12-15% BF doesn't make someone "better" or "more beautiful" or even more HEALTHY.

You should really focus on YOU and not other people. Enhance YOUR best features instead of bemoaning that you got "scraps" in the looks dept. There are plenty of thin people who don't think they are thin enough, pretty enough, whatever. Read some of the MFP threads, and you will learn very quickly that many of these people that you would consider "beautiful" feel pretty ugly. It's sad.

Even in real life, some people who are really "beautiful" complain that they're too fat, skinny, curvy, ugly, whatever. It's hard to be perfect.
    The most important thing is to be healthy.

They may complain about it...but if a bird complains that he isn't a bird...it just ain't true. He's a bird.
    Many beautiful people feel they aren't skinny, but being fit/small is measurable. It's not as subjective because there is a cap/limit number (size) in which one will no longer be Hepburn skinny. There is a range of resting-hearbeat which can somewhat measure someone's fitness. Like the bird example, skinny people can complain about not being Hepburn skinny, but ultimately, the size would determine that. It's not really subjective, and that's what I'm talking about (that's why I'm not bringing in the topic of "facial beauty" which is a little more subjective.

It's just a bit disheartening to work hard to just always be a below/average is all.

ETA: "Beauty" like Hepburns or any actress or a model is not born. It is made. It is artificially created using appropriate lighting, make up, filters and camera angles.

Aw, nice to see someone from Colorado, USA. I'm from Canada, and hey, we share our Rocky Mountains eh?
    Thanks for your comment, but what I am saying is that I'm talking about regular, every day citizens. Not talking about all the editing tools they use in movies, magazines, televisions, or photoshoots. I'm talking about my every day Canadian I see on the Skytrain or the bus when I'm riding the train to work or university. Just...every day females who manage to fit into the Hepburn size numbers or they have lovely rippling muscles.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    And try your best to never forget, she may have started out looking like that picture in your head......

qiihlcp43qu6.jpg

But we ALL end up looking like this eventually anyway;)

That's what I keep picturing actually! The older Hepburn. When I think of Hepburn...I see her as the 60 year old...and she's just so....beautiful. Anyway, that's a different discussion that is not relevant to the original post as that is a discussion of facial beauty and not of a thin body frame that most every-day citizens seem to have. And again, Hepburn/Swift was just an example so all you good people on MFP could know what type/i] of smallness I was talking about. =)
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin with this. Being a size 0 or having 12-15% BF doesn't make someone "better" or "more beautiful" or even more HEALTHY.

You should really focus on YOU and not other people. Enhance YOUR best features instead of bemoaning that you got "scraps" in the looks dept. There are plenty of thin people who don't think they are thin enough, pretty enough, whatever. Read some of the MFP threads, and you will learn very quickly that many of these people that you would consider "beautiful" feel pretty ugly. It's sad.

My son has a bmi of 15 he is 6ft and 8.7 st and nearly 21 years- HE HATES IT!!!!! Being so slim is not good and doesn't make him better than a fat person, or even well, he is about 2 - 4 st underweight. Thin does not equate to healthy! Nor mentally well.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

No way is that a current UK 8-10

I'm that size and I ain't no Hepburn

I think they were talking about Marilyn Monroe.

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Love yourself, and walk through life with confidence.

I, as someone who has never been over the normal BMI range, could be classed as a naturally slim person by a lot of people. ( I look fat and unfit at the top of that range)

So here is my personal observation:
    1. I do love food, but, I savour it
    2. I hate rushing a meal
    3. I rarely over eat, I dislike a full or bloated feeling.
    4. I dislike most fast/chain restaurant food.
    5. I am not fond of most deep fried food
    6. I don't snack very often
    7. I don't graze
    8. I have never comfort ate.
    9. I am a good cook and make most of my meals
    10. I love my fruit and veg
    11. I prefer a dinner out where the meal is a few smaller, flavourful dishes that takes a couple of hours to consume.

This is me too! I do tend to graze and snack though but my meals are much smaller to compensate (and because i can't eat a lot in one go). I also don't eat out very often as i find the act of eating/dining very boring. Additionally- I am a 'super-taster/smeller' so small amounts of strong tastes and scents satisfy me. (at lest that's my explaination). I eat super-slowly too.

Finally- I was raised on the principle of CICO and by a mother who was very calorie and portion-size aware. She was a fantastic cook and make lots of tasty low-cal meals with lots of veg. She also enjoyed baking -so all our treats were home made and our access to them was controlled. I grew up doing lots of pysical activity- I danced all my life and at home I never really sat still.

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're talking about Vancouver bc. People here in general have an active lifestyle, I always see people out running, walking with their kids/dogs in strollers...we have Stanley Park here and all those ski hills, it's all about the outdoors basically. Also vancouver has a large Chinese population, and in general Chinese people are quite slender esp the ones who don't have a taste for the "western" diet. I don't think anyone is naturally thin, I think all these people are aware of their bodies and do certain things to keep the body they want.

I really want the salary of a CEO, I'm never going to make that kind of money from what I can tell right now, but that doesn't make me less of a person and I don't think about rich people as being better than me. Everyone has their own hardships, work on yourself and your own goals.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @Whitezombiegirl one of my sisters has a hyper palate and sense of smell like you do. It was terrible trying to get her to eat when she was a child. As an adult she doesn't like the smell of most things cooking. Do you have very sensitive hearing too?
    I have always wondered if there is a correlation between the three.

OP, sorry for that slight detour. We will continue if needed in the 'petite group'

Cheers, h.