How are some people SO skinny?

Replies

• malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    janjunie wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're talking about Vancouver bc. People here in general have an active lifestyle, I always see people out running, walking with their kids/dogs in strollers...we have Stanley Park here and all those ski hills, it's all about the outdoors basically. Also vancouver has a large Chinese population, and in general Chinese people are quite slender esp the ones who don't have a taste for the "western" diet. I don't think anyone is naturally thin, I think all these people are aware of their bodies and do certain things to keep the body they want.

Spot on, yes, I was talking about Vancouver.

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone. Stay happy =)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    malioumba wrote: »
    I understand we all have different body shapes, and genetics, but some females are so thin (think Audrey Hepburn thin), and it just amazes me how everything just... fits in there.
    I mean is that sort of thinness really genetics or is it a very well-kept diet? By diet - I just mean consumption of food. I don't mean dieting. It just amazes me how small some people are. Do you think they work to retain that very thin frame, or it's a little of both; genetics and healthy diet?

It's frustrating to work to lose weight, when there are people with that very skinny frame. I live in the city with the lowest obesity rate in Canada (and 2nd in all North America apparently, I read Colorado, USA is the 1st) - either way, it's in the lower end of North America and although I'm not obese, I know that my city is composed of mostly very thin and fit females. A large quantity of average thinness (12-15% body fat) and Audrey Hepburn/Taylor Swift thinness, so it can be very easy to feel defeated knowing that your BEST....will always just barely be average...at best.

It's hard to be proud of any accomplishments one makes, when the majority makes better, and bigger accomplishments. Yes, I know we're always told not to compare to one another, but I mean, despite hard work: one forever remaining in the "scraps" department of aesthetics and fitness is saddening. I understand there will always be "someone better", but it's not just...someone...it's pretty much everyone.

I guess that's where accepting one will never be Hepburn skinny/beautiful comes in and one just...deals?

Colorado Represent!!!!!!!! I'm fat though.... so we do exist here

ETA: "Beauty" like Hepburns or any actress or a model is not born. It is made. It is artificially created using appropriate lighting, make up, filters and camera angles. The societal standards of beauty are lies airbrushed onto magazine covers and blared in the faces of the common person as a judgement of what we aren't. You know what we aren't? The products of Adobe Photoshop CS, that's what.

OP, I HIGHLY suggest you watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17j5QzF3kqE

Then this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnvoz91k8hc

Both are very short, and will make you see what I'm talking about.

Never give in to the lie.

I've seen the first one, but the second one is excellent.

OP, our food intake sports our current weight. Please stop comparing yourself to others. Self worth comes from within, not without.
  • srujana_kanneganti
    srujana_kanneganti Posts: 63 Member
    edited November 2015
    OP. I feel you. This has always frustrated me, despite knowing it shouldn't matter so much....it's just a part of being human to compare sometimes.

I do believe there are some people who are naturally thinner...I read a theory once that your [ancient] ancestry/evolution plays a role in how easy it is for your body to store weight. For example, if your ancestors dealt with famines often, you may be genetically programmed to hold on to fat a little more than a family whose ancestors did not deal with famine as often and thus lets go of fat easier.

And well, personal anecdote, in college I had a roommate who ate EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME. Since we lived together and ate at the cafeteria together often, I can vouch that she had a big appetite for calorie dense foods (salad with lots of dressing, pasta, pizza, potato chips, etc) She actually disliked vegetables and most fruit.
    She was stick thin. Did not exercise. Also Chinese...
    I refuse to believe anyone who tells me "naturally thin" is not real. It is, for at least a small portion of the human population. That has to be the millions of years of genetic evolution at work.

Though I also have a couple thin friends who I've noticed just don't each much, so their thin figures make sense. Some people are foodies, some not so much. As a foodie, it's a bittersweet curse lol

BUT. That being said, that can't be the end-all-be-all and it probably doesn't weigh too, too heavily on us today and the bodies we want if we work at it.
    Plus, like others have said, those thin people may be sad to compare their talents, intelligence, personality, or hell even facial aesthetic to others. Body weight is only one measure.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited November 2015
    125goals wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »
    To be fair Audrey was still a babe as an old lady.
    Tbh, beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway.
    Audrey wasn't my idea of a beautiful woman - Marilyn Monroe yes.
    But it always makes me laugh when people say she was quite a big girl. :/
    I think she was a 36-22-35, which in todays' sizing (due to her bust) would be something like a UK 8-10 (US 4-6).

They think she was big because she was a size 12-16 but these people don't know that the sizing system was different back then. When I was a size 12 I was like oh yeah Marilyn Monroe is the same size as me---little did I know...

Exactly.
    I used to sell Vintage Clothes and a 1950s/60s size 12 dress was absolutely tiny!
    Back then, Ladies had extremely small waists.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I think she was a 36-22-35, which in todays' sizing (due to her bust) would be something like a UK 8-10 (US 4-6).

No way is that a current UK 8-10

I'm that size and I ain't no Hepburn

I was talking about Marilyn Monroe.
    Her waist and hips were much smaller than my waist & hips and i am a current UK 8-10.
    Audrey Hepburn on the other hand was probably a size 0!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    @Whitezombiegirl one of my sisters has a hyper palate and sense of smell like you do. It was terrible trying to get her to eat when she was a child. As an adult she doesn't like the smell of most things cooking. Do you have very sensitive hearing too?
    I have always wondered if there is a correlation between the three.

OP, sorry for that slight detour. We will continue if needed in the 'petite group'

Cheers, h.

Hi H.

Getting me to eat as a child was really difficult too. I am actually hard of hearing on one side but im generally very sensitive to sounds. I hate loud noises and bangs and im very sensitive to deep vibrations too. Id not thought about it before. Im also dyslexic which can be linked.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    People are thin for a variety of reasons. Some have eating disorders, and are less healthy than the overweight. Some just naturally lack a strong appetite, or have medical reasons that suppress their appetite. Some eat a normal or even elevated amount, but also burn a ton of calories by being very active. Some people accomplish this "naturally", using their body's hormones to regulate eating, others accomplish this "artificially", by controlling diet and exercise or by medication.

Exactly. If you take a "naturally thin" person and change their activity and make them eat over 2500, they WILL gain and eventually become obese. I don't think it has as much to do with genetics as it does with lifestyle. Most naturally thin people don't eat much. They appear to eat a lot in front of people, but you are not with them all day every single day to see what they eat. I guarantee you, they don't eat much when no one is around or balance 6000 calorie days by not eating much over the rest of the week. (not intentionally) I have a friend who only eats pizza, donuts, cookies, and fast food but is a stick. She appears to eat whatever she wants and a ton if it. But when I spent a whole week with her on vacation, I saw that she only ate 1500 a day or would eat 3000 one day and then 500-1000 the next.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member

No way is that a current UK 8-10

I'm that size and I ain't no Hepburn

He gave the measurements for Marilyn i am pretty sure
  • cwthx
    cwthx Posts: 11 Member
    She was a trained ballerina, so she probably exercises a lot when she was young. She also suffered from the war. She smoked, killing her appetite. She worried about her career, her relationship, and even miscarried. So, she was used to being thin.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member

If whoever did that actually turned an image of a slice of pizza into a bathing suit model, all I have left to do is bow down at their magically fantastically amazing Photoshop skills. I thought I was good with it. Pfft, I suck.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    If whoever did that actually turned an image of a slice of pizza into a bathing suit model, all I have left to do is bow down at their magically fantastically amazing Photoshop skills. I thought I was good with it. Pfft, I suck.

I believe it's meant as a parody, and actually the model's pic was morphed into the pizza pic. But of course if it was the other way around, it would be even more impressive, but it's impressive enough even in this order! I'm just saying this, because I know a thing or two about photoshop myself... o:)
  • MommyL2015
    Ha, yeah, I watched it again on full screen and could see the little pizza pic there in the layers, so I did realize after that's what they were doing but still. Photoshop itself is an amazing tool.

It's sad that it's used to create unrealistic images of women though, that are taken at face value. I have a pre-teen daughter that I am showing these to because she is starting to do the whole "I hate my hair, I hate my this and that" thing.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member

I believe it's meant as a parody, and actually the model's pic was morphed into the pizza pic. But of course if it was the other way around, it would be even more impressive, but it's impressive enough even in this order! I'm just saying this, because I know a thing or two about photoshop myself... o:)

No, it was the other way around. See the clock in the upper right hand of the screen? It's going backwards.
  • malioumba wrote: »
    I understand we all have different body shapes, and genetics, but some females are so thin (think Audrey Hepburn thin), and it just amazes me how everything just... fits in there.
    I mean is that sort of thinness really genetics or is it a very well-kept diet? By diet - I just mean consumption of food. I don't mean dieting. It just amazes me how small some people are. Do you think they work to retain that very thin frame, or it's a little of both; genetics and healthy diet?

It's frustrating to work to lose weight, when there are people with that very skinny frame. I live in the city with the lowest obesity rate in Canada (and 2nd in all North America apparently, I read Colorado, USA is the 1st) - either way, it's in the lower end of North America and although I'm not obese, I know that my city is composed of mostly very thin and fit females. A large quantity of average thinness (12-15% body fat) and Audrey Hepburn/Taylor Swift thinness, so it can be very easy to feel defeated knowing that your BEST....will always just barely be average...at best.

It's hard to be proud of any accomplishments one makes, when the majority makes better, and bigger accomplishments. Yes, I know we're always told not to compare to one another, but I mean, despite hard work: one forever remaining in the "scraps" department of aesthetics and fitness is saddening. I understand there will always be "someone better", but it's not just...someone...it's pretty much everyone.

I guess that's where accepting one will never be Hepburn skinny/beautiful comes in and one just...deals?

Fast methabolism and lots of working out.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited November 2015
    malioumba wrote: »

Fast methabolism and lots of working out.

You should check out the video posted on the first page.

TL;DW ( I don't usually watch videos) - the heavier friend had the higher metabolism and the smaller friend ate less even though both agreed the smaller friend ate way more.
  • MommyL2015
    edited November 2015

No, it was the other way around. See the clock in the upper right hand of the screen? It's going backwards.

But if you look to the right, there are the various layers in PS that the artist is working with, and one is a masked layer of the original model. It is going backwards, but the slice of pizza is not really being "morphed" into the model. It's actually being manipulated to appear that way, but it's actually just being (to put it simply) erased.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Generally I think frame and how people hold the weight play a role. I have a very small frame. I have small hips and shoulders (although my rib cage does flare out) I am going to look tinier than someone who has a larger frame. But it still takes effort. Some people were taught fairly young to eat sensible portions and can keep their current weight without thought. Some have to work for it.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    i agree bone structure as a lot to do with it. i have tiny little bones.. my wrists and for arms are small then my 8 year old nieces i have tiny hands and feet ect.. i think thats why I look bigger then i am with my weight gain.. im 5'3 and 133 lbs which is "healthy" but even my dr had guessed my weigh was 150 before he saw my weight lol.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin with this. Being a size 0 or having 12-15% BF doesn't make someone "better" or "more beautiful" or even more HEALTHY.

You should really focus on YOU and not other people. Enhance YOUR best features instead of bemoaning that you got "scraps" in the looks dept. There are plenty of thin people who don't think they are thin enough, pretty enough, whatever. Read some of the MFP threads, and you will learn very quickly that many of these people that you would consider "beautiful" feel pretty ugly. It's sad.

My son has a bmi of 15 he is 6ft and 8.7 st and nearly 21 years- HE HATES IT!!!!! Being so slim is not good and doesn't make him better than a fat person, or even well, he is about 2 - 4 st underweight. Thin does not equate to healthy! Nor mentally well.

Hepburn also survived the German occupation and was severely malnourished in her teenage years which could be why she was so slender. Poor woman almost starved to death.

"We ate nettles and everyone tried to boil grass – in addition to tulips – but I really couldn't stand it," Hepburn said.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    edited November 2015
    Jasmunr wrote: »
    Generally I think frame and how people hold the weight play a role. I have a very small frame. I have small hips and shoulders (although my rib cage does flare out) I am going to look tinier than someone who has a larger frame. But it still takes effort. Some people were taught fairly young to eat sensible portions and can keep their current weight without thought. Some have to work for it.

Thinness and smallness is a bit different. You might be small, but you don't have the Swift/Hepburn thinness at the moment - I just mean the really skinny thin, flat ones. :)

But yes, the commenters are right that we shouldn't compare about something we can't control. :)