What exactly qualifies as "heavy" lifting?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Yes you will. Resistance training, including body weight exercises, helps with lean mass retention. Do you do push ups or lunges? Do you do pull ups? Do you do dips? Lifting in a gym or using a barbell is not required. Making it seem like that is the only way to work your muscles is a great way to discourage someone from starting. Eventually she does want to start lifting, but she mentioned that she has a tight budget. Buying portable squat stands, plus a barbell, plus weights is expensive any which way you try to cut corners.

Check out the author of Convict Conditioning Al Kavadlo. He's a CSCS and only does bodyweight workouts.

With respect, I didn't say it was the only way. The question was whether you can get the benefits of weight lifting without weight lifting - no you can't. Bodyweight exercises develop strength, strength endurance and stability, you can build a foundation for strength.... I never suggested the contrary.
    The two primary principles of strength training are intensity and progression. Both can be accomplished to a great degree with bodyweight exercises. When somebody gets to the point that they can easily bust out multiple sets of weighted pull-ups, handstand push-ups and one-legged pistol squats, then maybe they've reached the limits of progression and intensity in bodyweight exercises and need to climb under the bar - but by then they'll have developed a pretty impressive foundation of strength and athleticism.

Disclosure - I'm not a bodyweight trainer, I prefer the gym and iron. But there's no denying that a person can progress quite far without ever picking up a plate, bar or dumbbell. If the OP had expressed a desire to become a powerlifter, olympic lifter or bodybuilder, I'm sure the responses would have been quite different.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Name one benefit of weight lifting that you can't get from bodyweight exercises.

When I say this keep in mind that I have nothing against body-weight exercises. You cannot train for maximal strength with body weight, there's no way to overload your type II muscle fibers and nervous system in the same manner as training at 85%+ of your training max. Maybe initially one can kind of because of their own weight and being out-of-shape, but eventually as one progresses by getting stronger and losing body-fat; they will lose that ability to impose the higher training stimulus on their body and it will become easier.

Now, unless an individual is an athlete, powerlifter, Olympic lifter, or just really enjoys that style of training; it probably doesn't mean too much which is fine. There are positives and negatives of ALL forms of training, people just need to understand their goals and apply a method that is most applicable at helping them achieve their goals.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    > Name one benefit of weight lifting that you can't get from bodyweight exercises.

The sheer satisfaction of lifting a heavily loaded barbell from the floor to above your head - I just don't get the same feeling from increasing my reps in bodyweight exercises. I love doing chin-ups because there is no freeweight equivalent, but for some reason get little pleasure from push-ups, I way prefer bench press.
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Simply put, I'm broke, I have a very tiny apartment and 3 kids that could get hurt with big equipment around. Eventually, I would like to gain muscle tone and have a stronger body, after I lose some weight (my goal is 60-70lbs so I am thinking I might start once I am down 30-35). Do I need giant weights to "lift heavy"? Does this mean huge barbells or is there another way? I'm 5'4", about 185lbs and want to improve my strength training with weights once I'm around 145-155. My goal weight is 127. I will be doing squats and other exercises that don't require equipment until then.

You can find somewhere huge tire and try to turn it or make pull ups with own weight , help your grandma to hoe the field ....idk :D Be creative !
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    > Name one benefit of weight lifting that you can't get from bodyweight exercises.

The sheer satisfaction of lifting a heavily loaded barbell from the floor to above your head - I just don't get the same feeling from increasing my reps in bodyweight exercises. I love doing chin-ups because there is no freeweight equivalent, but for some reason get little pleasure from push-ups, I way prefer bench press.

That's a "personal benefit", not a benefit that can be applied to all people. Some folks have no desire to throw a heavy *kitten* load on their back and squat. Different strokes for different folks. :)
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just a comment about LA Fitness- they are always running different promotions and are usually quite negotiable. They offered me a range of options when I joined over the summer, one of which was paying the initiation fee in installments. That could be an option for you. My monthly rate is $25 for access to all the gyms in my state. I also got them to give me 10 free sessions with a personal trainer.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start now. You can get stronger and "tone up" while eating at a deficit. You need to preserve muscle mass that you currently have.

If you want to gain muscle mass and "bulk up " then you need the surplus cals.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    +1 on anything by Al Kavadlo. I got Pushing The Limits and it is great. dragondoor.com/b69/?apid=4e8cb1ea167b0 I'm not interested in going to the gym at all but will do stuff at home plus use the local playground equipment, which Al shows how to do in his book. Dude is in insane shape and limber.

1:05y7hl524o1m1g.gif (as if that isn't the only amazing thing he does in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh_xtaQKXNU
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    It's going to vary person to person. But to me "heavy" is anything 4 reps and under.
  • Jen58473
    Jen58473 Posts: 24 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Chiming in with another recommendation for Body By You by Mark Lauren. I started doing You Are Your Own Gym, but that turned out to be too difficult at this stage. Body By You is working much better for me, weak beginner that I am. The program has clear progressions--moving up a level when you can complete all the reps, so for me, this is lifting heavy.
  • clyonsrn
    clyonsrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting can prevent bone degeneration and decreases risk for osteoporosis. Trust me :*
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you are not yet strong enough to lift your own body weight (heavy for some of us), bar and dumbbells allow you to lift something heavy relative to your strength level. Lat pull down station until you can do a pull up, etc. If you aren't in competition (exercise), heavy is relative to what you can do as a low rep max. If you want heavy as a standard relative to others www.rippeleffectfitness.net/dan-johns-strength-standards-how-do-you-measure-up/
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would say heavy lifting would be a weight you can only get 3 reps with - one guy's max is some one else's warm up. Eastcoast Jim
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    You can do plenty with body weight stuff and/or learn to improvise. You'd be surprised what you can lift with if you get creative.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    +1 on anything by Al Kavadlo. I got Pushing The Limits and it is great. dragondoor.com/b69/?apid=4e8cb1ea167b0 I'm not interested in going to the gym at all but will do stuff at home plus use the local playground equipment, which Al shows how to do in his book. Dude is in insane shape and limber.

1:05y7hl524o1m1g.gif (as if that isn't the only amazing thing he does in the video)

That was awesome! I recognized a lot of yoga poses - Crow, Wheel, Scorpion in Handstand, something I've seen in Ashtanga but don't know the name, Handstand, looks like one armed Eka Pada Koundinyanasana II.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I would define heavy as meaning in the 4-6 rep range, and just talking about myself, I've seen better muscle growth when working in this range as opposed to 10-12. Considering you have young children who might hurt themselves with dumbells/barbells/weight plates lying around your home, I would start with two exercises:

1. chin-ups, you'll need a door frame bar (check ebay). If you find you're starting in the 4-6 rep range on this then you're already in good shape! If you can't do any then start with negatives (start at the top with your chin over the bar, and lower yourself as slowly as you can for x repetitions).

2. push-ups, add weights to your back as you get stronger, you can also add variation by raising your feet on a stool, changing hand positions. Push up stands are also great for increasing the range of motion and very cheap.

The above, plus some high intensity interval cardio will give you great bang for your buck. Most cardio training works your legs pretty well, so I wouldn't worry about lack of weighted squats. My legs developed very nicely just from fast/hilly short distance cycling and running.

I could never do a chin up in my entire life lol not even one.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You Are Your Own Gym. It's body weight exercises. They'll get you started. You may find that you want to join a gym later and follow a lifting program with actual weights.

I want to join the gym we have in walking distance (no car) but right now it's $140 or so (LA Fitness $99 start up fee then $30-40 per month). I will be joining, but with 3 kids I can't always go. I will be at home at lot so I'd like extra ideas. Or, hey, if anyone can let me know anything about this it would help. Should I start now? Wait until I'm at goal because do I need to eat at a surplus to tone up or only to gain more muscle than I already have? I'm all ears (or eyes) lol I literally just saw that book title on the last thread I read, by the way. I will look into that.

30-40/month seems steep. Do you live in a more expensive part of the country?
    When I joined LA Fitness the rate was $25/month to use a single location or $30/month for access to any location.
    I prepaid for 18 months so they waived the registration fee saving me 100 bucks. You mentioned you're broke so that probably isn't an option for you but I would recommend it if you can make it happen. I think they run sign-up promotions quite frequently so keep an eye out for those. You might be able to get the registration fee waived without prepaying.

I am selling things to pay for it and slowly raising the money. I didn't think of that...maybe I could do that but that is probably a lot of money lol. Going on $600. Ill have to ask them. I do live in an expensive part of the country, Chicago.

OP, what part of Chicago?

You can also look into Xsport, Chicago Athletic Clubs.... I know a few smaller "hardcore" gyms too that are less expensive, but not sure if that's your thing or not (kinda doubting it)
  • hrobjordan
    hrobjordan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You should get some bands! They're cheaper than dumbbells and great for resistance training, plus they won't take up space and you don't have to worry about your kids getting hurt! Using your body weight is a great tool like most mentioned also. There's plenty of videos on YouTube and Instagram with people using just body weight.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

wow you have me intrigued by this guy... would anyone rec which one of his books is a good one to start with, that has a good workout plan? The only place I can use weights is at my work's gym and it's small and very limited so I would love to do bodyweight alternatives. I do have you are your own gym on my ipad but ipad is dead and won't charge..
    thanks !
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I switched from lifting to calisthenics using a progressive program a month ago because my back is bad. Not only did it wipe me out and give me massive DOMS again, but I've seen awesome muscle growth.

If you think you can't build muscle using calisthenics, you're brainwashed.

But hey, I guess it's always easier to believe nothing is possible.