Replies

• bigpap97
    bigpap97 Posts: 54 Member
    How do I do the weighing and were do I come up with the numbers
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    bigpap97 wrote: »

What do you mean? Are you asking how do you weigh your food and where do you get the numbers/calories from?

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    This sounds bad, and I wish you the best, but don't really grasp the context. What's up?

I have a very bad back, Parkinson's Desease, and right now I have venous vein reflux. It mean the little flaps in my veins are not working and it allows backflow of blood in my calls and is painful if I overdo it. Right know I wear compression hoes to help, I think my first surgery is Dec. 17.

My husband suffered with that vein problem, too, but he had surgery for it and the constant pain went away. I do remember the recuperation period was a little longer than we thought at the time, but it was worth it. This was 15 years ago.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Couple suggestions from looking at your diary:

2. You need more protein in the morning than Pop Tarts! I eat a bacon/egg/cheese wrap from Dunkin' Donuts every morning with a large black coffee. 190 calories with protein, fat, and a little carbs

Best of luck, and tomorrow starts a new day!

How on earth do they make it that low calorie? 1 egg is 70 calories a tortilla is like 110, then add bacon and cheese?

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Hello!
    Just wanted to add my support to you.

I agree with much of the advice given. Buy a little scale and weigh your food. It worked for me. The one I got is called Salter, model 2010 that I got from Amazon. It is so accurate and weighs everything. Weigh in grams. On your diary, try to be really accurate on everything you eat. Think of it like a scientific challenge. Get your protein intake up. Try to log every day. I know it seems like a pain, but honestly, it works and you learn so much about the calories in everything you eat that you didn't know about before. A few changes to your diet every day will make all the difference.

Good luck with everything.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Hello!
    Just wanted to add my support to you.

I agree with much of the advice given. Buy a little scale and weigh your food. It worked for me. The one I got is called Salter, model 2010 that I got from Amazon. It is so accurate and weighs everything. Weigh in grams. On your diary, try to be really accurate on everything you eat. Think of it like a scientific challenge. Get your protein intake up. Try to log every day. I know it seems like a pain, but honestly, it works and you learn so much about the calories in everything you eat that you didn't know about before. A few changes to your diet every day will make all the difference.

Good luck with everything.

This...well said!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Couple suggestions from looking at your diary:

2. You need more protein in the morning than Pop Tarts! I eat a bacon/egg/cheese wrap from Dunkin' Donuts every morning with a large black coffee. 190 calories with protein, fat, and a little carbs

Best of luck, and tomorrow starts a new day!

How on earth do they make it that low calorie? 1 egg is 70 calories a tortilla is like 110, then add bacon and cheese?

Their site says it's 180 calories. I'm not sure. It's a small tortilla though so probably only 50-60 calories, one slice of bacon, and some low fat cheese I'm guessing.
  • Cidalia1173
    Cidalia1173 Posts: 8 Member
    See if there are forms of exercise that won't exacerbate your health problems. Swimming? It takes a lot of pressure off of joints and your back.
  • bigpap97

What do you mean? Are you asking how do you weigh your food and where do you get the numbers/calories from?
    Yes exactly I know nothing about it. This weekend getting a scale should I get some kind of weight watchers book
  • bigpap97
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    This sounds bad, and I wish you the best, but don't really grasp the context. What's up?

I have a very bad back, Parkinson's Desease, and right now I have venous vein reflux. It mean the little flaps in my veins are not working and it allows backflow of blood in my calls and is painful if I overdo it. Right know I wear compression hoes to help, I think my first surgery is Dec. 17.

My husband suffered with that vein problem, too, but he had surgery for it and the constant pain went away. I do remember the recuperation period was a little longer than we thought at the time, but it was worth it. This was 15 years ago.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself.
    I am having the 1st leg fixed Dec.17. They are going to burn the bad ones closed with a laser and he did say there would be a lot of down time
  • bigpap97
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There's absolutely no way you'd gain 37 pounds with 1500 calories with your size. Absolutely none.

You're eating way more than you think. Don't blame us because you're not willing to put the effort. I don't remember your last thread, but I'm sure people mentioned weighing food, logging everything, and not using generic entries. It seems you're doing none of those things.
    i have never blamed anyone, I don't know we're you get your info from

' I raised my calorie intake to 1500 a day like everyone wanted'

Feels like you're attacking the people who told you to eat more, when I'm quite sure that most people actually told you that if you are not losing, you're eating too much, and increasing calories would just make it worse.

You've been told what to do (weigh your food, not use generic entries, make better choices), it's really up to you to actually do it.
    I didn't attack or blame anyone, I was just comfortable at 1200 CD. I am going to learn how to weigh food hope I don't offend anyone
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Isn't there a calorie counting 101 stickie around here somewhere. Does anyone have the link?
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member

This is so useful for anyone on this site.
    Thanks - I'm sure Bigpap will think so as well.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 727 Member
    @bigpap97 ....So glad to see that you are getting a kitchen scale and going down the tried and true method of weighing all your foods.....without this there is no way to know how many calories you are ingesting.

The link Christine kindly provided should answer all your questions but if you need further assistance please come back to the forums and ask away.

As you have seen you do have people around who care about you and your health and want you to succeed at losing the weight and regaining your mobility. I think that you are going to be REALLY surprised at how easy this weight loss thing will be when you get accurate numbers under control.

All the best.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    If you haven't already, OP, check out the Success Stories forum here. A lot of people share how they lost all the weight, and the photos can be quite inspiring.

My suggestion for your recovery time: read all that you can about nutrition, calorie counting, success stories. As you acquire knowledge, your thinking will start to turn toward optimism. Losing weight isn't something only a "certain kind" of person can achieve. YOU can achieve it. One day, one choice, at a time. ((thumbs up))
  • bigpap97
    edited November 2015
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Hi - I agree with the others that have posted their concerns over your dietary choices. I KNOW you would function so much better with adequate, balanced healthy food. I'm sure you are not logging all of your food but from what you have logged thus far, it is apparent that it needs some attention if you want to reach your goals.

For example just look at the comparison of your breakfast to the one provided below. Same amount of calories, but there are major differences in the macros. Also, the one I listed would sure be more satiating.
    Yogurt - Yogurt Nonfat Plain Greek, 0.5 cup (227g)
    Ezekiel sprouted wheat bread - Ezekiel Bread, 2 slice
    Egg - Large Hardboiled (Egg and Yolk), 1 Large (50g) or (2 oz)
    Raspberries - Raw, 0.5 cup
    Maranatha - Almond Butter Crunchy
    1 TBSP.
    TOTAL: 397Calories 46Carbs 14Fat 29Protein 290Sodium 9Sugar

Kellogg's - Frosted Cherry Poptart, 2 pastry
    TOTAL: 400Calories 76Carbs 10Fat 4Protein 340Sodium 34Sugar

Perhaps start educating yourself on nutrition or get a dietitian.
    I hope you don't mind me putting in my 'two cents' and that I have not insulted you - as you might be fully aware of these things!
    Good luck and keep striving for better:)
    Hang in there and keep trying! I find the small changes are the easiest to stick with...I do not respond long term to extreme makeovers in my diet or exercise habits...however, if I can add in one extra workout a week...then give it a month or two to become habit...then maybe add in one extra workout a week...small changes, that's what works best for me...over time they add up!
    @bigpap97 ....So glad to see that you are getting a kitchen scale and going down the tried and true method of weighing all your foods.....without this there is no way to know how many calories you are ingesting.

The link Christine kindly provided should answer all your questions but if you need further assistance please come back to the forums and ask away.

As you have seen you do have people around who care about you and your health and want you to succeed at losing the weight and regaining your mobility. I think that you are going to be REALLY surprised at how easy this weight loss thing will be when you get accurate numbers under control.

All the best.
    Some people are being a bit tough about my lack of knowledge on the subject and I want to learn it is a little discouraging to me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I honestly think that you would benefit from seeing a dietitian, it would help you learn how to make better choices.

But overall... get your 5 servings of fruit and veggies (personally, I think 8 is better), and eat plenty of protein. It's a good start. Fool proof way of doing that is to invest in a George Foreman grill, buy chicken sausage, pork chops, lean steaks, chicken breast, and look for steamable frozen veggies. All you have to do is put the meat on the grill until it's done (I just cut a slit in the middle and check on it every minute or so until it's cooked, so it doesn't get too dry), and put the veggies in the microwave. It requires no skill, and it's honestly pretty cheap too (lots of store brands veggies are often on sale at $1 a bag).

Then buy healthy snacks (Greek yogurt, nuts, fruit). Get a food scale for the nuts so you're sure you're only having a serving.

For breakfast, you can make egg burritos. Buy some tortillas (you can find low carb ones for less calories and more protein), cheese slices, eggs, and whatever meat you like (I use precooked turkey breakfast sausage). Microwave the sausages for 45 seconds. Scramble the egg and microwave in a bowl for 45 seconds. Put both in a tortilla and add cheese (sometimes I buy cheddar blocks and just grate some to cook with the egg). Done, and it takes 2 minutes, 350 calories or so and lots of protein.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    edited November 2015
    You might benefit from the method I have used in the past - which requires less thinking and tracking. I allowed myself
    • 1 standard serving of lean protein at each meal. (chicken, lean pork chop, most meats are ok as long as they don't have gravy or breading. A standard serving of meat is the size of a deck of playing cards)
    • 2 non-dense grains a day: a half pack of rice cakes, 20 soda crackers, a big bag of low calorie popcorn. Those helped physically fill my belly.
    • As many non-liquid fruits and veggies as I wanted (other than sweet potatoes or regular potatoes), steamed or boiled with no seasonings other than salt and pepper (or other 0-calorie seasoning). If I was eating a salad, I used low calorie dressing (~20 calories/2 T - and allowed myself as much as I wanted).
    • No straight sugar (desserts, pop, coffee sweetener)
    • No added fats (butter, frying aids, etc.)
    As I got closer to my goal weight, I swapped the non-dense grains for dense grains (whole grain rolls, for example).

Alas, that structure doesn't work for me - since I am now carb intolerant (diabetes). But it was the easiest change in how I eat I've ever used - and I was able to lose a substantial amount of weight and maintain it for several years. If you are struggling to figure out weighing and calories, coming up with mental images of what you can eat (a deck of cards worth of chicken, for example) might help.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 727 Member
    Hey there @bigpap great to see you reply and still be engaged in this thread and it's great that you want to learn more....Did you read the link the @christinev297 posted???

Are there any questions you want to ask of the members here re logging etc??

@Francl27 makes a good point....Would you be amenable to seeking the assistance of a dietician to help plan out your foods.

You are struggling with so much health wise, to have someone like that have your back in this would be a real advantage. I hear you and believe you that you it can be quite overwhelming to know where to start, MFP wise, logging, getting your head around different options for foods that satiate you but don't pack such a huge calorie number that it messes with your weight loss goals.

This is where a dietician could be invaluable.....they can assess your needs and tailor a plan just for you....perhaps this is something for you to discuss with your Doctor ASAP, be open with him/her and hopefully they will get on board.

I'm not American so I am limited in what I can suggest food wise for you.....I can only talk in broad terms as I have before earlier in the thread about vegetables, grain, meats, dairy and fruit.

It would be helpful if you could tell people what foods you like - if there are foods that you won't eat or don't like. I really like the other suggestion by @Francl27 about the grill and steamed veg. it's simple, good tucker that is easy to prepare.

I DO worry that with the level of illness that you are struggling with, that currently your limited diet does not give you adequate nutrition....

K