Losing the battle

135

Replies

  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,051 Member
    @bigpap97 Yes definitely read the links I posted, and come back here if you any further questions. You don't have to read them all at once, as that much info can be a bit overwhelming. Take in what you can, and take your time when reading them.
  • bigpap97
    bigpap97 Posts: 54 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I honestly think that you would benefit from seeing a dietitian, it would help you learn how to make better choices.

    But overall... get your 5 servings of fruit and veggies (personally, I think 8 is better), and eat plenty of protein. It's a good start. Fool proof way of doing that is to invest in a George Foreman grill, buy chicken sausage, pork chops, lean steaks, chicken breast, and look for steamable frozen veggies. All you have to do is put the meat on the grill until it's done (I just cut a slit in the middle and check on it every minute or so until it's cooked, so it doesn't get too dry), and put the veggies in the microwave. It requires no skill, and it's honestly pretty cheap too (lots of store brands veggies are often on sale at $1 a bag).

    Then buy healthy snacks (Greek yogurt, nuts, fruit). Get a food scale for the nuts so you're sure you're only having a serving.

    For breakfast, you can make egg burritos. Buy some tortillas (you can find low carb ones for less calories and more protein), cheese slices, eggs, and whatever meat you like (I use precooked turkey breakfast sausage). Microwave the sausages for 45 seconds. Scramble the egg and microwave in a bowl for 45 seconds. Put both in a tortilla and add cheese (sometimes I buy cheddar blocks and just grate some to cook with the egg). Done, and it takes 2 minutes, 350 calories or so and lots of protein.

    I am going to try and get an appt set up tommorrow
  • bigpap97
    bigpap97 Posts: 54 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I honestly think that you would benefit from seeing a dietitian, it would help you learn how to make better choices.

    But overall... get your 5 servings of fruit and veggies (personally, I think 8 is better), and eat plenty of protein. It's a good start. Fool proof way of doing that is to invest in a George Foreman grill, buy chicken sausage, pork chops, lean steaks, chicken breast, and look for steamable frozen veggies. All you have to do is put the meat on the grill until it's done (I just cut a slit in the middle and check on it every minute or so until it's cooked, so it doesn't get too dry), and put the veggies in the microwave. It requires no skill, and it's honestly pretty cheap too (lots of store brands veggies are often on sale at $1 a bag).

    Then buy healthy snacks (Greek yogurt, nuts, fruit). Get a food scale for the nuts so you're sure you're only having a serving.

    For breakfast, you can make egg burritos. Buy some tortillas (you can find low carb ones for less calories and more protein), cheese slices, eggs, and whatever meat you like (I use precooked turkey breakfast sausage). Microwave the sausages for 45 seconds. Scramble the egg and microwave in a bowl for 45 seconds. Put both in a tortilla and add cheese (sometimes I buy cheddar blocks and just grate some to cook with the egg). Done, and it takes 2 minutes, 350 calories or so and lots of protein.

    I also take protein supplements and I eat a lot of steamed veggies and salads
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    This sounds bad, and I wish you the best, but don't really grasp the context. What's up?

    I have a very bad back, Parkinson's Desease, and right now I have venous vein reflux. It mean the little flaps in my veins are not working and it allows backflow of blood in my calls and is painful if I overdo it. Right know I wear compression hoes to help, I think my first surgery is Dec. 17.

    My husband suffered with that vein problem, too, but he had surgery for it and the constant pain went away. I do remember the recuperation period was a little longer than we thought at the time, but it was worth it. This was 15 years ago.

    Hang in there and be kind to yourself.
    I am having the 1st leg fixed Dec.17. They are going to burn the bad ones closed with a laser and he did say there would be a lot of down time

    Just to let you know, getting the veins fixed will change your life!

    I had really bad veins for a long time. Finally got a specialist appointment and he wouldn't do laser since my veins were too far gone...had to ligate and strip.

    On July 30th, I had the right leg done. I weighted my heaviest in years. Decided enough of that sh#t..... The general anesthetic made me not want to eat, so I decided to watch portions and lose this excess. I started walking on the treadmill two days after my first surgery. At first, not a lot at a time, and no incline, but moving as was recommended by my doctor to avoid clots. By the end of 4 weeks, I had lost almost 20 pounds... Two weeks into this, I found and joined MFP and that has made such a difference!

    September 17th I had the left leg done, under general anesthetic, and my blood pressure was down considerably and my weight down almost 30 pounds.

    We moved to our winter home in Arizona on October 16th. Since then I have been walking an hour a day, going to the gym four days a week for elliptical and circuit training as well as playing pickleball every day.

    I have lost 44 pounds to date and gone from a tight size 16 to a loose 10.

    I am the lightest I have been since high school, and I will be 60 in the spring.

    Good luck with the surgery. I think you will have less down time than you are anticipating, but follow your doctor's instructions!
  • bigpap97
    bigpap97 Posts: 54 Member
    neohdiver wrote: »
    You might benefit from the method I have used in the past - which requires less thinking and tracking. I allowed myself
    • 1 standard serving of lean protein at each meal. (chicken, lean pork chop, most meats are ok as long as they don't have gravy or breading. A standard serving of meat is the size of a deck of playing cards)
    • 2 non-dense grains a day: a half pack of rice cakes, 20 soda crackers, a big bag of low calorie popcorn. Those helped physically fill my belly.
    • As many non-liquid fruits and veggies as I wanted (other than sweet potatoes or regular potatoes), steamed or boiled with no seasonings other than salt and pepper (or other 0-calorie seasoning). If I was eating a salad, I used low calorie dressing (~20 calories/2 T - and allowed myself as much as I wanted).
    • No straight sugar (desserts, pop, coffee sweetener)
    • No added fats (butter, frying aids, etc.)
    As I got closer to my goal weight, I swapped the non-dense grains for dense grains (whole grain rolls, for example).

    Alas, that structure doesn't work for me - since I am now carb intolerant (diabetes). But it was the easiest change in how I eat I've ever used - and I was able to lose a substantial amount of weight and maintain it for several years. If you are struggling to figure out weighing and calories, coming up with mental images of what you can eat (a deck of cards worth of chicken, for example) might help.

    I managed to lose 72lbs before my leg problem. I went from 412lbs to 335lbs before so I do know a little about what to do, my goal is to get down to 250, go to Walmart and buy a small steamer they are great for baked potatoes make them very fluffy and thanks for the help and being nice about it
  • bigpap97
    bigpap97 Posts: 54 Member
    @bigpap97 Yes definitely read the links I posted, and come back here if you any further questions. You don't have to read them all at once, as that much info can be a bit overwhelming. Take in what you can, and take your time when reading them.

    I wish I could print from my iPhone it would be so much easier
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

    I think I have should you one of these videos before, I am sorry if it is a repeat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,051 Member
    Also, it might help if you could get this thread moved to the general weight loss boards. The mods can do that for you.
  • bigpap97
    bigpap97 Posts: 54 Member
    Also, it might help if you could get this thread moved to the general weight loss boards. The mods can do that for you.

    How do I do that, I am not computer or phone app savy and have to ask for directions
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,051 Member
    @psulemon
    @kgeyser
    @ninerbuff
    @Train4Foodz
    @JustSomeEm
    @darkon
    @usmcmp

    Can you help this chap out? His question will get more responses on the general board.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,221 Member
    Moved to general weight loss. Hope that helps!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,051 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Moved to general weight loss. Hope that helps!

    Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There's absolutely no way you'd gain 37 pounds with 1500 calories with your size. Absolutely none.

    You're eating way more than you think. Don't blame us because you're not willing to put the effort. I don't remember your last thread, but I'm sure people mentioned weighing food, logging everything, and not using generic entries. It seems you're doing none of those things.
    i have never blamed anyone, I don't know we're you get your info from

    ' I raised my calorie intake to 1500 a day like everyone wanted'

    Feels like you're attacking the people who told you to eat more, when I'm quite sure that most people actually told you that if you are not losing, you're eating too much, and increasing calories would just make it worse.

    You've been told what to do (weigh your food, not use generic entries, make better choices), it's really up to you to actually do it.
    I didn't attack or blame anyone, I was just comfortable at 1200 CD. I am going to learn how to weigh food hope I don't offend anyone

    This is the key you're looking for.
  • bigpap97
    bigpap97 Posts: 54 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Moved to general weight loss. Hope that helps!
    Thank you very much
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,221 Member
    My 2 cents: Sometimes when you've made a mistake you have to go backwards to go forwards. I hit a very rough patch and in order to get back to a point where I could make progress in a healthy manner I ended up gaining weight.

    The keys to success are:
    1. Appropriate calorie goal
    2. Accuracy when logging
    3. Long term adherance
    4. Adjustments when things slow

    It's a good idea to go back to the basics sometimes when we have over-complicated things. Reading over the threads created for people starting out could be helpful.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 22,258 Member
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    I raised my calorie intake to 1500 a day like everyone wanted. I have put on 37lbs ...

    Over what time period did you put on 37 lbs?

  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,945 Member
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Hi - I agree with the others that have posted their concerns over your dietary choices. I KNOW you would function so much better with adequate, balanced healthy food. I'm sure you are not logging all of your food but from what you have logged thus far, it is apparent that it needs some attention if you want to reach your goals.

    For example just look at the comparison of your breakfast to the one provided below. Same amount of calories, but there are major differences in the macros. Also, the one I listed would sure be more satiating.
    Yogurt - Yogurt Nonfat Plain Greek, 0.5 cup (227g)
    Ezekiel sprouted wheat bread - Ezekiel Bread, 2 slice
    Egg - Large Hardboiled (Egg and Yolk), 1 Large (50g) or (2 oz)
    Raspberries - Raw, 0.5 cup
    Maranatha - Almond Butter Crunchy
    1 TBSP.
    TOTAL: 397Calories 46Carbs 14Fat 29Protein 290Sodium 9Sugar

    Kellogg's - Frosted Cherry Poptart, 2 pastry
    TOTAL: 400Calories 76Carbs 10Fat 4Protein 340Sodium 34Sugar

    Perhaps start educating yourself on nutrition or get a dietitian.
    I hope you don't mind me putting in my 'two cents' and that I have not insulted you - as you might be fully aware of these things!
    Good luck and keep striving for better:)
    Hang in there and keep trying! I find the small changes are the easiest to stick with...I do not respond long term to extreme makeovers in my diet or exercise habits...however, if I can add in one extra workout a week...then give it a month or two to become habit...then maybe add in one extra workout a week...small changes, that's what works best for me...over time they add up!
    @bigpap97 ....So glad to see that you are getting a kitchen scale and going down the tried and true method of weighing all your foods.....without this there is no way to know how many calories you are ingesting.

    The link Christine kindly provided should answer all your questions but if you need further assistance please come back to the forums and ask away.

    As you have seen you do have people around who care about you and your health and want you to succeed at losing the weight and regaining your mobility. I think that you are going to be REALLY surprised at how easy this weight loss thing will be when you get accurate numbers under control.

    All the best.
    Some people are being a bit of an *kitten* about my lack of knowledge on the subject and I want to learn it is a little discouraging to me.

    I'm very sorry you're having a rough time but the 3 posts you quoted were nothing but helpful.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Hi - I agree with the others that have posted their concerns over your dietary choices. I KNOW you would function so much better with adequate, balanced healthy food. I'm sure you are not logging all of your food but from what you have logged thus far, it is apparent that it needs some attention if you want to reach your goals.

    For example just look at the comparison of your breakfast to the one provided below. Same amount of calories, but there are major differences in the macros. Also, the one I listed would sure be more satiating.
    Yogurt - Yogurt Nonfat Plain Greek, 0.5 cup (227g)
    Ezekiel sprouted wheat bread - Ezekiel Bread, 2 slice
    Egg - Large Hardboiled (Egg and Yolk), 1 Large (50g) or (2 oz)
    Raspberries - Raw, 0.5 cup
    Maranatha - Almond Butter Crunchy
    1 TBSP.
    TOTAL: 397Calories 46Carbs 14Fat 29Protein 290Sodium 9Sugar

    Kellogg's - Frosted Cherry Poptart, 2 pastry
    TOTAL: 400Calories 76Carbs 10Fat 4Protein 340Sodium 34Sugar

    Perhaps start educating yourself on nutrition or get a dietitian.
    I hope you don't mind me putting in my 'two cents' and that I have not insulted you - as you might be fully aware of these things!
    Good luck and keep striving for better:)
    Hang in there and keep trying! I find the small changes are the easiest to stick with...I do not respond long term to extreme makeovers in my diet or exercise habits...however, if I can add in one extra workout a week...then give it a month or two to become habit...then maybe add in one extra workout a week...small changes, that's what works best for me...over time they add up!
    @bigpap97 ....So glad to see that you are getting a kitchen scale and going down the tried and true method of weighing all your foods.....without this there is no way to know how many calories you are ingesting.

    The link Christine kindly provided should answer all your questions but if you need further assistance please come back to the forums and ask away.

    As you have seen you do have people around who care about you and your health and want you to succeed at losing the weight and regaining your mobility. I think that you are going to be REALLY surprised at how easy this weight loss thing will be when you get accurate numbers under control.

    All the best.
    Some people are being a bit tough about my lack of knowledge on the subject and I want to learn it is a little discouraging to me.

    I have a gentle suggestion for you after reading and re-reading those posts.

    None of them were tough, OP.

    One of the hardest things I had to do in order to win my own battle with weight was learn not to let my emotions get the best of me. Feelings guiding how I went about things hindered my progress for many, many years. I 'felt' this way or that way about my weight or this or that method of going about it or this or that piece of advice -- and it all got me nowhere.

    Well, actually, it did get me somewhere. I felt worse about myself than ever. One day I realized that continuing along the path I had been was bringing me back to the same place, so I might as well venture down a new path.

    I put my feelings aside, and though it was uncomfortable at first, getting over how I felt was the best thing I ever did for myself. You know why? Success and giving people the benefit of the doubt for being of good will engendered a sense of positivity within myself.

    The people you accused of being rough are trying to help you with the benefit of their experience. So am I. Let their good will in. You'll be happy you did.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited November 2015
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    How do I do the weighing and were do I come up with the numbers

    What do you mean? Are you asking how do you weigh your food and where do you get the numbers/calories from?
    Yes exactly I know nothing about it. This weekend getting a scale should I get some kind of weight watchers book

    Glad to see that you're getting a scale, but you don't need to get a Weight Watchers book. WW uses a "point" system; their books will not tell you how many calories are in anything.

    All you need is a scale and this site. Click on "Food". Click on "database". Type in the name of the food you're looking for. Steer clear of "generic" and "homemade" entries. It's really not hard.

    Good luck.