Low Carb Diet

Options
I motivated a friend of mine to start losing weight after they saw the success that I had, and they asked me what kind of diet I was on.

Personally, I eat what I want, when I want, I just pay really close attention to my portion sizes. He was curious about low carb diets as we als have a few friends within our social group who've done low carb diets and lost (and kept off to this day 8+ years) over 100lbs.

I told him I'd look into it for him, but I'm still all about eating what you want when you want.

I was wondering if you guys could provide me with some info on low carb diets. From what I've read it's a quick fix for weight loss but the majority of the weight lost is water weight? Maybe some of you have some better insight on the subject, I'd love to pass on the info.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a quick fix. Yes, there is a lot of water weight lost at the beginning due to depletion of glycogen stores, but it still comes down to CICO for fat loss. The low carb groups on here will probably have more information.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Low carb diets work because people tend to spontaneously eat less on them. Here's a good beginners guide you can pass along:

LCHF for Beginners
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The water weight loss happens only in the first few days or so.
  • kaylanlynnNW
    kaylanlynnNW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 20 to 50 Carbs a day and have lost 30 since Aug 23
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    jvnklee wrote: »

I don't know how you do it. I have tried but I can't seem to keep my carbs lower than about 100. It's all those hidden carbs in fruits and milk, yogurt etc.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »
    jvnklee wrote: »

I don't know how you do it. I have tried but I can't seem to keep my carbs lower than about 100. It's all those hidden carbs in fruits and milk, yogurt etc.

At risk of stating the obvious low carbers avoid milk, choose high fat low sugar yoghurt and limit fruit to low sugar berries and the like.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I eat lower carb. I don't have a strict limit, I just try to choose lower carb foods most of the time. I started eating this way to help my IBS and found it to be highly effective. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it keeps my appetite/hunger level much more regulated. FWIW, the carbs I gave up were almost all things that are generally considered relatively healthy. I've never been a sweet eater, so it's not like I stopped eating a dozen donuts and cookies a day or anything like that. It was mostly whole wheat bread, oatmeal, pasta and potatoes and things like that I cut back on.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people LC is really just a way to get in the calorie deficit required for weight loss.

Carbs do typically have a lot of calories ie breads, pastas, starches...

I've done low carb but couldn't stick with it as I always felt "empty" so I went the route of eat what I want just in smaller portions.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you guys could provide me with some info on low carb diets. From what I've read it's a quick fix for weight loss but the majority of the weight lost is water weight? Maybe some of you have some better insight on the subject, I'd love to pass on the info.

Low carb high fat diets tend to result in slightly faster weight losses at 6 months which evens out (almost) with other diets at a year. The exception seems to be those with some sort of insulin resistance, those people lose at the fastest rate on a LCHF diet or ketogenic diet. They lose more slowly using moderation, and healthy overweight people find the typ of diet makes no real difference.

The majority of weight lost is NOT water weight. Sure, we lose some water weight in the beginning. Any diet that restricts carbs (like soda or cutting back on bagels) will have water losses early on. It's usually only a couple of pounds. Because there is water loss electrolytes may get low. Those restricting carbs will need to increase sodium to about 3000-5000mg per day, and possibly add extra potassium and magnesium if they let salt get low (those nutrents will get leeched from their body to increased electrolytes - best to prevent that).

I am a 5'8" sedentary woman who lost somewhere around 30-35 lbs from 185-190 to 155lbs in three monthseating 1500 calories per day. That was a loss of 2-3 lbs per week, which I found amazing because I was NOT eating at a 1000-1500 caloric deficit every day. I have stopped losing now (beyond 1 lb/month) because I am eating over 2000 calories per day this past month. I have insulin resistance and would probably gain weight on 2000 calories of a SAD diet.

Those who successfully lose over the long term on a LCHF diet tend to avoid foods high in carbs. I avoid foods with added sugar (beyond a carb or 3 added to a sausage), and all foods made from grains which includes anythng made with flours (breaded meats, muffins, cookies and cakes, all breads and flat breads, chips, pizza crust, noodles, etc). I also limit my starchy carbs which are root veggies grown under ground like potatoes, yams, beets, parsnips, carrots and onions; that doesn't mean I never eat them, but I eat much smaller amounts than I used to (a TBS of potatoes or a 1/2 cup of carrots rather than 1/3 of my plate covered with mashed potatoes with a mound of carrots beside it). Most low carbers also limit fruit. Berries are the lowest in sugar and many eat a half a cup a few days of the week. Other fruits are eaten with moderation such as a third of a banana or half of a small apple.

A carb is a carb, and all carbs convert to glucose. We try to keep carbs low. I usually keep mine under 30g.

If carbs are kept under 50g, one will enter ketosis and the body will oxidize fats for fuel rather than rely on glucose for fuel. One will often feel tired and weak for a few days while glycogen stores are depleted but once you get past that (as long as you keep up sodium levels) many find they feel better than ever, their appetite is deminished, and carb cravings are gone.

Between 50 and 100g of carbs is often a bit of a problem area for some. It is low enough that one may be repeatedly depleting and refilling glycogen stores and carb cravings may stay fairly strong. This ends not to be the case as much is one is not sedentary.

100-150g carbs is good level fr many low carbers who are not going for ketosis.

Atkins is a ood low carb book. Dukkan is used by some, and paleo and clean eating is sometimes done low carb too. Peter Attia's (md) blog is a great source for some of the science behind low carb. Any info by Phinney or Volek is a great information source. The video Fathead is a good video for someone who wants their information presented in an entertaining manner. The Perfect Human Diet is another good video.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I found myself in a lower carb range by eliminating what I call junk food. Doughnuts, Little Debbie cakes, etc. I ate more veggies to feel more full

It worked great in reducing calories for CICO goals. I lost weight consistently.

It just happened to be lower carb, by happy accident.

Low carb is not magic

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Low carb works for weight loss; but let your friend know that weight loss is just the first step.

I don't do low carb for this very reason. Low carb won't be a lifestyle change for me. So I measure and log the food that I like. So when I get to maintenance I will know "the price" of foods I eat.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I find when I do LCHF I'm not as hungry as when I'm eating whatever I want with smaller portions.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I find when I do LCHF I'm not as hungry as when I'm eating whatever I want with smaller portions.

Fats/Protein help with satiety is why...that is why lots here are proponents of getting in healthy fats and proteins along with carbs.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the hunger suppression of ketosis. I had eaten nothing up to 1pm, 100 cals of cheese, then at 4 I had a bit of avocado. What is this hunger of which you speak ?
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    The water weight loss happens only in the first few days or so.
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Low carb high fat diets tend to result in slightly faster weight losses at 6 months which evens out (almost) with other diets at a year. The exception seems to be those with some sort of insulin resistance, those people lose at the fastest rate on a LCHF diet or ketogenic diet. They lose more slowly using moderation, and healthy overweight people find the typ of diet makes no real difference.

The majority of weight lost is NOT water weight. Sure, we lose some water weight in the beginning. Any diet that restricts carbs (like soda or cutting back on bagels) will have water losses early on. It's usually only a couple of pounds. Because there is water loss electrolytes may get low. Those restricting carbs will need to increase sodium to about 3000-5000mg per day, and possibly add extra potassium and magnesium if they let salt get low (those nutrents will get leeched from their body to increased electrolytes - best to prevent that).

I am a 5'8" sedentary woman who lost somewhere around 30-35 lbs from 185-190 to 155lbs in three monthseating 1500 calories per day. That was a loss of 2-3 lbs per week, which I found amazing because I was NOT eating at a 1000-1500 caloric deficit every day. I have stopped losing now (beyond 1 lb/month) because I am eating over 2000 calories per day this past month. I have insulin resistance and would probably gain weight on 2000 calories of a SAD diet.

Those who successfully lose over the long term on a LCHF diet tend to avoid foods high in carbs. I avoid foods with added sugar (beyond a carb or 3 added to a sausage), and all foods made from grains which includes anythng made with flours (breaded meats, muffins, cookies and cakes, all breads and flat breads, chips, pizza crust, noodles, etc). I also limit my starchy carbs which are root veggies grown under ground like potatoes, yams, beets, parsnips, carrots and onions; that doesn't mean I never eat them, but I eat much smaller amounts than I used to (a TBS of potatoes or a 1/2 cup of carrots rather than 1/3 of my plate covered with mashed potatoes with a mound of carrots beside it). Most low carbers also limit fruit. Berries are the lowest in sugar and many eat a half a cup a few days of the week. Other fruits are eaten with moderation such as a third of a banana or half of a small apple.

A carb is a carb, and all carbs convert to glucose. We try to keep carbs low. I usually keep mine under 30g.

If carbs are kept under 50g, one will enter ketosis and the body will oxidize fats for fuel rather than rely on glucose for fuel. One will often feel tired and weak for a few days while glycogen stores are depleted but once you get past that (as long as you keep up sodium levels) many find they feel better than ever, their appetite is deminished, and carb cravings are gone.

Between 50 and 100g of carbs is often a bit of a problem area for some. It is low enough that one may be repeatedly depleting and refilling glycogen stores and carb cravings may stay fairly strong. This ends not to be the case as much is one is not sedentary.

100-150g carbs is good level fr many low carbers who are not going for ketosis.

Atkins is a ood low carb book. Dukkan is used by some, and paleo and clean eating is sometimes done low carb too. Peter Attia's (md) blog is a great source for some of the science behind low carb. Any info by Phinney or Volek is a great information source. The video Fathead is a good video for someone who wants their information presented in an entertaining manner. The Perfect Human Diet is another good video.

Thanks for all the info, I'll pass this on to him.

I actually tried eating low carb today and yesterday and my calorie count had been the same but I feel like I'm eating more. Maybe that's just me. It's also really hard to pack a lunch I found, I spent 50$ on groceries that between myself and my girlfriend we almost went through in a day. Kind of expensive if you ask me. I mean I didn't do the shopping so maybe she bought stuff that was way more expensive than it needed to be but yeah. I couldn't think of very many ideas of foods to pack for a lunch (maybe someone had suggestions here?) I don't think I'd be able to stick to eating like this it's way too restricting for me. I like eating my fruits :P
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Low carb means your other macros increase. So you will eat higher grams of both protein and fat, and hopefully, fiber.
    Low carb worked really well for me. I lost 30lbs really quickly, at a rate of over 2lbs a week. Lots of fish, chicken, beef and loads of veggies, and whatever fat was required to make the meal. My fat grams were about 50% of my calories. I ate a small amount of beans/legumes.
    I think it's a great way to drop-off the body fat!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Low carb means your other macros increase. So you will eat higher grams of both protein and fat, and hopefully, fiber.
    Low carb worked really well for me. I lost 30lbs really quickly, at a rate of over 2lbs a week. Lots of fish, chicken, beef and loads of veggies, and whatever fat was required to make the meal. My fat grams were about 50% of my calories. I ate a small amount of beans/legumes.
    I think it's a great way to drop-off the body fat!

@Luvee_Dove5 How many grams did you keep your carbs at? I find i struggle with getting many veggies and fibre in while also keeping my carbs low.