Visual Guide to Women's Body Fat %

Options
I only really found this one: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages. It does a decent job of illustrating the extremes at a few varying body fat % levels; pitting a skinny 15% female against a stacked 15% female etc. But I'm kinda more interested in seeing all the grey area in the middle that would illustrate the average. (There seems to be dozens of photo galleries like this dedicated to men across the www, but women's sites are usually leaning towards the bodybuilding extreme.) Why the sudden fixation on BF%? Because I'm slowly but surely letting hold of my death grip on the scale's priority & I used to think amenorrhea occurred somewhere between 13-17% but now I'm learning it doesn't usually happen until <14%. I'd like to *see* some examples to determine what I think my new goal should be.

Anyone know of some more comprehensive sites?

So all you ladies out there who know your BF% and have a pic, would you please be brave and post? It would also be helpful to know your height & weight. In the end, this isn't just going to be for me because others will be looking, so ALL body types are welcome. One thing I've learned is that you are certainly never alone on MFP, no matter what stage you are at.

19.8% BF, 5' 8.5", 156lbs
156front.jpg

Replies

• Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump...I still have to figure out my body fat% but I would like to have an idea of what different spots look like.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can get a very comprehensive guide. Looking at that page you posted, the woman who's 25% body fat, looks nothing like me (26.4%). As most of my fat is on my thighs and bum. So I look much healthier.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can get a very comprehensive guide. Looking at that page you posted, the woman who's 25% body fat, looks nothing like me (26.4%). As most of my fat is on my thighs and bum. So I look much healthier.

Here's one from when I was 26% & 162lbs: (Apologies for not resizing since I'm on my phone. Not a great set-up for comparison given different setting/clothes. In the pics I can't see much difference, but there is a HUGE improvement in the tone of my legs & glutes. My waist & hips were an inch bigger here too.)
    fd4d0ca4.jpg

Seriously? I know all you uber-fit blogger types track your progress BF%-wise with pics. I'm feeling lonely here (eek!). From what I can find online, I'd probably be ok with 15% carried like the Self Magazine models.
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    Ouch people, just... ouch.

Any ladies out there know their BF%???
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have 19% BF also, but I don't know how to post a pic in here. can you tell me?
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    I have 19% BF also, but I don't know how to post a pic in here. can you tell me?

Yay! Now I don't feel like some sort of exhibitionist freakazoid. Open a free photobucket account if you don't already have one, upload your pic, then copy the IMG code from the list of 4 options to share the pic. Paste it to your post, BUT change the opening and closing capital "IMG" in the brackets to a lowercase "img". That should do it!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This is roughly 45-48%, I don't know for sure:

2011-05-03_06-42-26_186.jpg
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    This is roughly 45-48%, I don't know for sure:

Thank you! I could hug you right now. Hopefully we'll inspire more to participate :D
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    OK, let's see if this works. I don't have a current bikini shot, but I'll see if I can get one after my spray tan next week :)

Here are some belly dance pix. Last time I had my body fat and lean muscle mass electronically tested (at the chiro), my BF was 18 point something. However, I have since gained some weight, but since I am very active 6 days/week workouts, I'd estimate right now I'm still about 19%. This first pic was taken last year, about the time I was around 18%:

DSC_0144.jpg

This one was taken recently, about 2 weeks ago, about 19%:

P5100014.jpg

oops, these are huge. How do I make them smaller?
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    I had my bf checked using a digital scale about a month ago and it was 26% - this pic was taken a couple of weeks ago and I've been eating a cleaner diet and have been working out a lot harder. I think my bf% is lower than 26 but I don't know. I am 5'10.5"

IMG-20110602-00005.jpg
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I'd love to know my correct BF%... I may have to have it checked... For me it's not about the number on the scale but losing the majority of the fat. I'm good on most areas of my body... just my core to go. I've started watching my inches as much as I'm watching the pounds on the scale. I've lost a good bit of inches and I know it's because I'm gaining muscle which weighs more then fat.
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    The day I got CALIPERED at 19.8% my Tanita digital scale (foot pads only) read 34%. Those things are a joke in my case.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ah ok, my 26% is just from an electronic thingy. Also, I don't have any pictures as I can't get any good ones with the lighting and stuff here. always far too shadowy. But I'm something similar to how you looked at 26%.
    :D
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My tanita scale was reading an average of 38% at 168lbs at this pic.
    IMG_6534.jpg

I need to do a pic update. I am averaging about 35% right now on that scale. I know that the actual number hopefully isn't very accurate but it is going down and that is all that matters to me... I have all three views on my profile.
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    Great pics everyone so far! Keep 'em coming! For those doubting their electronic scales; the measuring tape test can be a bit more accurate. I think I got 22% with it which is a heck of a lot closer to 19.8% than Tanita's 34%! It does only take whole inch measurements though.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html#accurate
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • JessLov67
    JessLov67 Posts: 27
    Options
    I just used your link for the home body fat test
    My Tanita says I'm 28% body fat and this one said 19.8% body fat, which one should I believe? 0.o
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Bumping for when I get mine read and take a good pic.
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Was told the same day I took this pic that I'm between 26 and 27%

I'm 5'8 and weigh 150.

ColorCorr.jpg
  • jadkins05
    jadkins05 Posts: 2
    Options
    Bump.