November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom i figured the 5k wouldn't offset the cinnamon roll and thanksgiving but the 8k might bring me closer :wink:
    @9voice9 the fr235 has an optical hrm
    @beachhouse758 don't forget to take time off if you need to. A day or two will most likely not make or break you on the turkey trot

@moyer566 LOL I've heard that anything eaten within an hour of a race doesn't count :wink:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom i figured the 5k wouldn't offset the cinnamon roll and thanksgiving but the 8k might bring me closer :wink:
    @beachhouse758 don't forget to take time off if you need to. A day or two will most likely not make or break you on the turkey trot

@moyer566 LOL I've heard that anything eaten within an hour of a race doesn't count :wink:

like birthday cakes are calorie free?
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yesterday was a rare afternoon run. I had a spare 50 minutes and could not resist the cool afternoon. Mongolian bbq for lunch was still being felt making me heavy. All in all, so happy to have been out before dark.

A little behind on my miles, but I think I can get caught up.

Nov 3 - 4.73 walking
    Nov 5 - 7.00
    Nov 6 - yoga and stretches
    Nov 7 - family time
    Nov 8 - family time
    Nov 9 - 3.2
    Nov 10 - 4.59

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    OK, I was playing more with Audacity and was able to create a few songs that were synched to 180 bpm and added a metronome in the background. If you are interested, you can download them since I found this website called picosong that I can upload them to. Each foot comes down to the sound of the metronome for 180 steps per minute.

The Who - Eminence Front http://picosong.com/67J3/
    Christina Aguilera - Fighter http://picosong.com/67S8/
    Katy Perry - Roar http://picosong.com/67Sd/
    George Michael - Freedom http://picosong.com/676t/

Let me know if you have any requests. :-) I will make some more.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

like birthday cakes are calorie free?

Exactly!
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    11/9/15- 5k
    11/11/15- 5k

Total-10k
    Goal- 20k
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I took a vacation day today and was pleasantly surprised to wake up to beautiful weather. It was perfect for a run - sunny and mild out. Today was my first time using Map My Run and I found it way more accurate than my Fitbit which was nice. I averaged 10:03 minute miles which I was happy with, seeing as I ran further than I have previously. All in all an excellent run today!

I'm a little behind on my target for the month so I'm hoping to sneak in a few extra miles over the next couple weeks to get caught back up.

11/01: 6.19
    11/03: 4.7
    11/05: 3.7
    11/09: 5.45
    11/11: 6.56

exercise.png
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 3.81 C25k W1D3 (.73 + 2.32 + .76)
    11/2 - 5.78 walking lunch break + evening walk (3.3 + 2.48)
    11/3 - 2.99 C25k W2D1 + continuation of lunch break (2.09 + .9)
    11/4 - 1.78 nice, easy, comfortable lunch walk.
    11/5 - 3.13 C25k W2D2 + 180 spm practice (2.23 + .9)
    11/6 - 4.61 walking lunch break + evening walk (2.36 + 2.25)
    11/7 - 2.16 C25k W2D3 (2.16)
    11/8 - Full rest/recovery day. Was my 1 yr anniversary for starting to lose weight so I went SHOPPING!!
    11/9 - Full rest/recovery day.
    11/10 - 6.17 C25k W3D1 + 180 spm practice (2.24 + .7) C25k repeat + 180 spm practice (2.01 + 1.22)
    11/11 - 2.8 walking lunch break *noon after the first snowfall of the season. I was overdressed. (Again)*

I am a little worried about C25k W3. From looking at it, it doesn't seem like the transition to running 3 mins is that big of a deal, but it is. And what I don't understand is WHY?? I can go to the lake and jog over 5 miles. Make me try to actually run and it kicks my butt. I did W3D1 at lunch yesterday and didn't like my performance. It felt "off", slow, sluggish. So I repeated W3D1 last night after work. Did even worse. I'm moving forward with W3, but am thinking that I may need to repeat it just to be able to do a full 3 minutes without feeling like a fake. Or should I keep pushing thru to the end? Advice please. I'm frustrated right now.

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - Got the forerunner 225 which is capable of doing some super awesome things, but the reliability of those awesome things is appalling. My "works right the first time" rates by cool function are:

- Wrist based HR monitor - Accurate 80% of the time, way off 20% of the time (requiring removal, cleaning of the sensor, and reattaching). It'll be rare for me to get through a run without a really messed up reading at some point - which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't use their training plans leading to incessant beeping for being "out of zone X" when I'm in it.
    - Custom & calendar training plan uploads to watch - 20% of the time - today, it uploaded a whopping 1 run on my training calendar despite having planned runs for the next 5 weeks in my calendar. This requires you to be physically connected as well as it can't upload plans via bluetooth.
    - Automatic bluetooth phone synchronization for post-run uploads - 10% of the time - usually requires some sort of reset
    - Treadmill guesses of your speed when turning off GPS - usually within 1 minute/mile (either slow if over 9.5 min/mile, and fast if under 9.5 min/mile)

Given the insane price ($299), if I were you, I'd just hold out for the 2nd generation HRM devices and just stick with a strap for now as they aren't that bad (and suspect that deals pop up for refurbished 210s for about $120 w. strap or 110 w. strap that would serve its purpose ok).
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    11/8 - Full rest/recovery day. Was my 1 yr anniversary for starting to lose weight so I went SHOPPING!!
    11/10 - 6.17 C25k W3D1 + 180 spm practice (2.24 + .7) C25k repeat + 180 spm practice (2.01 + 1.22)
    11/11 - 2.8 walking lunch break *noon after the first snowfall of the season. I was overdressed. (Again)*

I am a little worried about C25k W3. From looking at it, it doesn't seem like the transition to running 3 mins is that big of a deal, but it is. And what I don't understand is WHY?? I can go to the lake and jog over 5 miles. Make me try to actually run and it kicks my butt. I did W3D1 at lunch yesterday and didn't like my performance. It felt "off", slow, sluggish. So I repeated W3D1 last night after work. Did even worse. I'm moving forward with W3, but am thinking that I may need to repeat it just to be able to do a full 3 minutes without feeling like a fake. Or should I keep pushing thru to the end? Advice please. I'm frustrated right now.

Don't get frustrated. I'm a bit confused what is the difference between a "run" and a "jog"? I can pretty much run at an 11:30 mm pace all day (okay not all day), but if I run at a 10:00 mm pace not so much and I'll go out on a limb here and say that is the same for everyone. That is why someone running a one mile race and do a 4:00 min mile but that same person will slow down to a 5:00 to run say a 10K. I'm assuming that is what you mean. If you cannot run the full 3 minutes I would slow down your pace so that you can. I don't know about everyone, but if I have a slow run in the morning I know there is no way I'm going to have a better one later in the day. I'm already tired.

I didn't do C25K so I don't really know the program, but I would say move forward, call it a bad run and move on. If you find you are still having a problem, then I would repeat.

Hang in there, you are doing great. Like everything else, it takes time.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ended up running mid-day today, so kept things short at 5 miles as the dew point was 75. Off to vegas at the moment (for the R&R half - I'll reach out to @Honunui at some point), so looking forward to running in less humid conditions. Current forecast for the race is about 60 degrees w. 15% humidity which sounds absolutely amazing to me.

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - 4 miles
    11/3 - 9 miles
    11/4 - 6 miles
    11/6 - 2 miles
    11/8 - 6.2 miles
    11/9 - 4 miles
    11/10 - 11 miles
    11/11 - 5 miles

Total: 51 miles
    Target: 220 miles
    Remaining: 169 miles
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

Virkati wrote: »

Don't get frustrated. I'm a bit confused what is the difference between a "run" and a "jog"? I can pretty much run at an 11:30 mm pace all day (okay not all day), but if I run at a 10:00 mm pace not so much and I'll go out on a limb here and say that is the same for everyone. That is why someone running a one mile race and do a 4:00 min mile but that same person will slow down to a 5:00 to run say a 10K. I'm assuming that is what you mean. If you cannot run the full 3 minutes I would slow down your pace so that you can. I don't know about everyone, but if I have a slow run in the morning I know there is no way I'm going to have a better one later in the day. I'm already tired.

I didn't do C25K so I don't really know the program, but I would say move forward, call it a bad run and move on. If you find you are still having a problem, then I would repeat.

Hang in there, you are doing great. Like everything else, it takes time.

I agree with @skippygirlsmom. I call myself a runner, but it is definitely more of a jog. If you can already run 5 miles slowly it seems like you are past the C25K, unless you are using it to increase speed. If that's the case, you probably want to repeat days/weeks as needed. I did do C25K, but I had no running experience. I did repeat one week - I think it was the one when it increased the run to 20 minutes. But many people repeat several weeks.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

I agree with @skippygirlsmom. I call myself a runner, but it is definitely more of a jog. If you can already run 5 miles slowly it seems like you are past the C25K, unless you are using it to increase speed. If that's the case, you probably want to repeat days/weeks as needed. I did do C25K, but I had no running experience. I did repeat one week - I think it was the one when it increased the run to 20 minutes. But many people repeat several weeks.

This is me, too. I "run" somewhere in the neighborhood of an 11 minute-mile (depending on location, hills, the moon, the weather, neptune in retrograde, etc.) and keep up that pace anywhere from 3-9 miles...but bump that up to just a 10-minute mile, and I can do that for only about a mile or two--and that's only on the treadmill. I don't know if I could keep up that pace for 3 minutes on a trail run at all.

It sounds more like @Virkati may be doing more intervals than C25K to me. In which case, there may be better programs for that. I usually just set Map My Run to yell at me every few minutes to run faster. ;)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @ddmom0811 @5BeautifulDays
    Thanks so much for the feedback. My "run" is usually around 14-ish mm. It's getting faster, but slowly. The feedback you all provided helped me get my perspective in order. It never occurred to me to look at it like interval training, but essentially that's what it is. I was feeling like a "fake" because my time is so slow. Never stopped to think that my time will get better with experience. So my game plan is to keep going with C25k but instead of trying to run so much faster than I really can maintain, I'll just speed up a little. That in itself will help me to improve. **ummm, might be a good time to 'fess up that sometimes I can be a little impatient lol.**
  • emmargest
    emmargest Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Today felt pretty good. :) it was beautiful and sunny but COLD. this poor woman was running with her dog for the first time, and she most definitely had a faster pace than I did, but the dog would stop her ever 30 seconds to smell something, so we wound up being accidental running partners for the day. Hah. :smiley:

11/02--2.18miles
    11/08--4.59
    11/09--3.17
    11/11--2.67

12.61/40

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    01-Nov: 5.26 km – down week
    02-Nov: rest
    03-Nov: rest
    04-Nov: 5.18 km – down week
    05-Nov: 4.02 km – 70% humidity but felt much higher.
    06-Nov: rest
    07-Nov: 4.48 km – torn ankle ligament/avulsion fracture : 6 weeks recovery!
    08-Nov: rest
    09-Nov: x-rays and physiotherapy
    10-Nov: rest
    11-Nov: rest
    12-Nov: upper body strength training

I realize I won't have much to add to this month, though hope it's okay to log whatever else I can do instead? I'm hoping to go for a very easy, slow 2k walk tomorrow with family.
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It was a lazy start to this week, but finally got a run in this evening, and it was a slow 6 miler. Yay! It's been over a year since I was able to hit that distance. I was slow getting back to it (after taking a long break from running-no reason, just laziness) but figured that I needed to slow down some to get that distance in. And boy do I feel slow! But as many of you have discussed, it's keeping up the distance and building the base that will eventually get me more speed (of course more speed is still all relative. I may always be a penguin, but I'm ok with that!).

10/2 5 miles
    10/3 3.5 miles
    10/5 5.5 miles
    10/7 2 miles
    10/11 6 miles for a total of 22miles out of a goal of 50.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    159 km total run/walked so far.

My goal is 250 km so I'm well on track.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    06/11 - 13.5 miles
    07/11 - 10.3 km
    08/11 - 22.2 miles
    09/11 - 10.4 km
    10/11 - 13.2 miles
    11/11 - 13.4 miles
    12/11 - 10.4 km

decent run this morning, very dark and cloudy but pace was decent. had a problem on my left knee, I'm a bit fed up of being ok for a few days, then having a random pain, that than goes - absolutely fine till when I woke up, a weird feeling on the side of the knee, if I wake up the same tomorrow I'll prob don't run :disappointed:

finally got my heart pumping a bit more, it seems to me that I "fall asleep" during a run (and so pace is also affected obviously) and I want to have at least 1 run per week where I want to try to push a little bit

overall I'm pretty happy anyway as I never felt tired this morning, prob had a really bad day on Tuesday

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    11/1: 22 miles LR
    11/2: 5 miles recovery style
    11/3: XT: 15 miles indoor bike
    11/4: 10 miles
    11/5: 7 miles tempo run (am), 7.2 with the Thursday crew (pm)
    11/6: Rest day
    11/7: 6 miles
    11/8: 15 miles - partly with group, partly solo
    11/9: 5 miles
    11/10: XT: 30 mins yoga
    11/ 11: 6 miles
    11/12: 4 miles

Had 6 on the schedule, but some weird, loosey-goosey feelings in my right hamstring made me come back early. RW tells me its probably over-stretched, which is great since how do you un-stretch something?! Lucky that I'm in a taper and can baby it guilt free :) Going to try to do at least 3 tonight with the group but will abandon the attempt if the 'strings twinge.

A bit bummed though because I just signed up for this Saturday 5k with my team like... Tuesday. And now I won't be able to race it because going fast will irritate the hamstring further, and I don't need that one week out from marathon day. Hmmph.

87.2/150

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    11/14: Harrington Park 5k (USATF-NJ Women's 5k Championships!)
    11/22: Philadelphia Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon