Favorite Protein Bar?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I'm back to say I just tried the Robert Irvine Fit Elite Cookies N Cream bar. I have to say it was a miss for me. The ingredient list is pretty similar to the old Quest bar formula. The bar was very soft and was almost sickeningly sweet. The "cream" part was this gooey icing like stuff on the top and it tasted like some sort of artificially gummy marshmallow type of flavor. The consistency is like taffy. I put the other half of the bar in the microwave for a bit and it made it taste somewhat better. I wouldn't buy it again though. I'll have to try the Fit Crunch bars he makes because I keep reading that they're the favorite among consumers. I can't wait to try a B-Up bar tomorrow, but so far I'm happy with the Combat Crunch recommendation, so thanks to all who mentioned those.

Ah yeah, I've never heard of those but that taffy texture is what I don't like when I'm looking for a protein bar. I believe the Oh Yeah bars are like that too. I never tried B-Up because they don't seem very popular. Combat though--yes, so good.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I love the B-up bars. They are a different consistency from the Quest, not as tough to chew, have great flavours too. Just expensive here like Quest though.
  • billiegregorio
    billiegregorio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Isalean bars. Chocolate decedence feels like a treat, but totally fuels and satisfies!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    DO NOT TRY QUEST BARS, they had a formula change are now disgusting. It was very recently they did this, so every good thing you've heard is about the old recipe. The new ones are horrid.

Well, this is simply an opinion of yours. Certainly worth sharing, but I happen to really like the quest bars, and only just started eating them two weeks ago so they might be this new formula and I enjoy them. They fit my goals calorie and carb wise, and I like the choc peanut butter, double choc chunk, and white choc raspberry the best so far! I had the cinnamon roll flavor but didnt enjoy it as much as the others. I have yet to try the lemon cheescake I think it was, that looks like it could handle my toughest cravings for sweets!

They wont be for everyone but they're my personal favorite and recommend them to my own friends :)

It just sucks because they USED to be amazing and incredible and the best tasting protein bar around. If you never tried them before the formula change you won't understand. No one I knew who used to religiously eat the old bars still likes them after the change. I guess it's the type of thing where if you never had the chance to taste the amazing flavor they once were you don't know what your missing.

Cosigned.

My Vita Fiber got here today. I've got ideas to experiment on my own concoctions.

Let me know how they turn out! I actually am wishing some small company will start making the old formula under a different name or something very similar. I would buy those lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to try some type of Protein Bar in the afternoon before I exercise and dinner to hold me over and don't eat as much for dinner.

I plan on visiting GNC so I did some research and found the Quest Bars. I notice they are a little expensive, so I am hesitant on buying a lot of them.

Anyone else have a favorite bar that they use between exercise and dinner?
    http://thebigmansworld.com/2015/03/08/3-ingredient-no-bake-protein-bars/
    3 INGREDIENT NO BAKE PROTEIN BARS
    1 cup quick oats, divided
    3 scoops flavoured protein powder of choice (30 gram scoops)*
    1/2-1 cup milk of choice
    Sweetener of choice
    Optional- Add ins of choice (I used dairy free chocolate chips and vegan white chocolate chips)
    cpf1jnl5u26p.jpg
  • melsetsy
    melsetsy Posts: 48 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Aerocrazd wrote: »
    Fit Crunch Bars by Robert Irvine are great. They have peanut butter, cookies and cream and chocolate chip cookie dough. The peanut butter is the best. I like them much better than the Quest bars.

Yes!!!!! I just discovered these yesterday and they are hands down much tastier than Quest bars! I tried a Quest bar (cookies and cream) last year and couldn't finish it. The texture was gravely to me and it left a horrible aftertaste!!
    I went into a "crash and dent" food store and found an 18 bar pack of the Fit Crunch bars for 10$ and it was still in date so I thought I'd give them a shot and I wasn't disappointed! They're on sale on bodybuilding.com right now for 7.64$ for 6 bars regular price is almost 12$. Nutrition facts for the 46g size bars: 190 cal., 8g fat, 14g carbs, 3g sugar, 16g protein, 200g sodium.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I am wanting to try some type of Protein Bar in the afternoon before I exercise and dinner to hold me over and don't eat as much for dinner.

I plan on visiting GNC so I did some research and found the Quest Bars. I notice they are a little expensive, so I am hesitant on buying a lot of them.

1/2-1 cup milk of choice
    Sweetener of choice
    Optional- Add ins of choice (I used dairy free chocolate chips and vegan white chocolate chips)
    cpf1jnl5u26p.jpg

Thanks for the recipe! I will be trying those tomorrow!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    DO NOT TRY QUEST BARS, they had a formula change are now disgusting. It was very recently they did this, so every good thing you've heard is about the old recipe. The new ones are horrid.

Well, this is simply an opinion of yours. Certainly worth sharing, but I happen to really like the quest bars, and only just started eating them two weeks ago so they might be this new formula and I enjoy them. They fit my goals calorie and carb wise, and I like the choc peanut butter, double choc chunk, and white choc raspberry the best so far! I had the cinnamon roll flavor but didnt enjoy it as much as the others. I have yet to try the lemon cheescake I think it was, that looks like it could handle my toughest cravings for sweets!

They wont be for everyone but they're my personal favorite and recommend them to my own friends :)

It just sucks because they USED to be amazing and incredible and the best tasting protein bar around. If you never tried them before the formula change you won't understand. No one I knew who used to religiously eat the old bars still likes them after the change. I guess it's the type of thing where if you never had the chance to taste the amazing flavor they once were you don't know what your missing.

Cosigned.

My Vita Fiber got here today. I've got ideas to experiment on my own concoctions.

Let me know how they turn out! I actually am wishing some small company will start making the old formula under a different name or something very similar. I would buy those lol

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have all those unsweetened freeze-dried fruits that will be good for using in the bars. I'm going there today to stock up on them. I want to make a bar with coconut and pineapple in it!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Cosigned.

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have all those unsweetened freeze-dried fruits that will be good for using in the bars. I'm going there today to stock up on them. I want to make a bar with coconut and pineapple in it!

If you can buy Lorann oils near you, they are great for adding flavour and you only need about 1/16 tsp per bar. I make a raspberry white chocolate with the Lorann raspberry oil and a few white chocolate chips. The butterscotch oil and about 7g of chopped walnuts is awesome too. Dark cocoa powder is good for making brownie bars with organic cocoa nibs or dark chocolate mini chips for crunch with few calories.
  • liftingwateringcan
    liftingwateringcan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

1/2-1 cup milk of choice
    Sweetener of choice
    cpf1jnl5u26p.jpg

Thank you!
  • dwasson56
    dwasson56 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ate Quest bars until I got tired of them. Now I eat Pure Protein. I really like them.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've tried quite a few protein bars, and so far the only ones I've come to like are the Quest bars and Clif bars.

I buy Clif bars more often since they're more affordable, even though the regular ones contain less protein (9-10g per bar). However, since I'm not lifting heavily or anything, and primarily use them as a post-workout snack, it's fine. My favorite flavors are iced-gingerbread (omg so good), cool mint chocolate, and chocolate chip.
  • FenderK8
    FenderK8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Power Crunch bars have been my favorite lately, especially mint chocolate. 13g protein and about 205 calories but taste nothing like a protein bar and are more akin to an extra chocolaty kit-kat.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »

Cosigned.

If you can buy Lorann oils near you, they are great for adding flavour and you only need about 1/16 tsp per bar. I make a raspberry white chocolate with the Lorann raspberry oil and a few white chocolate chips. The butterscotch oil and about 7g of chopped walnuts is awesome too. Dark cocoa powder is good for making brownie bars with organic cocoa nibs or dark chocolate mini chips for crunch with few calories.

I'll look on Amazon, thanks! I've already made some peanut butter bars with peanut butter protein powder and pb2 and they are terrific. Next time I'm adding chocolate chips. I'm sorry I didn't start making my own sooner. It's dead simple.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My favorite for taste is probably a tie between Quest Mint Chocolate (I like mint in anything) and Quest Cookies and Cream. This isn't a bar, but I also like the Quest chips. Pure Protein has improved in taste over the past few years (or maybe my taste has just changed such that they are better now), but they still don't match Quest for taste. Of course, that is my view and it may or may not be true for you.

Some have mentioned Clif Builder Bars... I've tried them and didn't like them. It may be a gray area (i.e. some would debate this based on their own definitions), but I don't consider Clif Builder Bars to be protein bars. They are energy bars because of high net carbs... when there are more grams of net carbs than protein, I can't bring myself to call it a protein bar.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    My favorite for taste is probably a tie between Quest Mint Chocolate (I like mint in anything) and Quest Cookies and Cream. This isn't a bar, but I also like the Quest chips. Pure Protein has improved in taste over the past few years (or maybe my taste has just changed such that they are better now), but they still don't match Quest for taste. Of course, that is my view and it may or may not be true for you.

Some have mentioned Clif Builder Bars... I've tried them and didn't like them. It may be a gray area (i.e. some would debate this based on their own definitions), but I don't consider Clif Builder Bars to be protein bars. They are energy bars because of high net carbs... when there are more grams of net carbs than protein, I can't bring myself to call it a protein bar.

Mint Chocolate is hands down my favorite Quest bar! Something about the flavor is just perfect. I also agree about Clif bars not being protein bars to me. I consider things like Clif and Kind bars to be snack bars/energy bars because there isn't much protein. I usually look for bars with a minimum of 20 grams of protein with not many sugars. I also want the calories to be between 150 and 250. Some protein bars look interesting, but the calorie count frightens me. Once it exceeds 300, I consider it to be a meal replacement bar.
  • lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like Quest and Clif Protein bars (watch the sugar though, it can be a bit high. I usually use them for a complete meal replacement if I can't get proper meal in). Warming Quest bars up helps with the texture I find. I like the Special K protein bars also, but they put a lot of crap in them, which I just can't do.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Supreme protien peanut butter pretzel twist bar.
    It didn't even taste like a protien bar!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I tried a few more. B-Up's PB&J is good, but the Mint Chocolate is terrible. Combat Crunch Cookies & Cream has the same weird icing flavor that Robert Irvine's Cookies & Cream bar did. Combat Crunch Birthday Cake is the worst protein bar I have ever tasted. It smells like lemon, tastes like lemon, milk, and sugar, and after microwaving it for 5 seconds, it's so mushy.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Fiber one oats and chocolate is my personal fav, everything else tastes like cardboard to me. Oh and nature valley bars but some people don't like them cuz they're high in sugar