How does everyone else deal with negative people?

Options
2»

Replies

• sdcamp3020
    sdcamp3020 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have always appreciated her outspoken personality; but, this time she went too far, Anyway, feeling better now. The cookies are my favorite recipe from my Grandmother.

1c. Crisco 1c sugar 1c brown sugar 2 eggs 1-1/2c flour 3c oats 1c chopped pecans 1tsp vanilla

Cream together Crisco and sugars. Add eggs. Add flour, oats and nuts a little at a time until all are mixed in well. Form into rolls and wrap with parchment paper then aluminum foil. Chill at least 3-5 hours but best overnight. Slice and bake at 350° until very lightly brown. Let cool completely.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    sdcamp3020 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I have always appreciated her outspoken personality; but, this time she went too far, Anyway, feeling better now. The cookies are my favorite recipe from my Grandmother.

1c. Crisco 1c sugar 1c brown sugar 2 eggs 1-1/2c flour 3c oats 1c chopped pecans 1tsp vanilla

Cream together Crisco and sugars. Add eggs. Add flour, oats and nuts a little at a time until all are mixed in well. Form into rolls and wrap with parchment paper then aluminum foil. Chill at least 3-5 hours but best overnight. Slice and bake at 350° until very lightly brown. Let cool completely.

cookies sound really nice. thanks for the recipe
    so what have you decided to do in terms of making the cookies, and dealing with your friends personality?
  • sdcamp3020
    Options
    I am not going to make the cookies for the cookie swap. Coming home with two dozen cookies of all varieties will just make it hard on me. I may try making them with Stevia, Truvia, and Coconut Oil and give them to friends if they taste good. As far as my friend goes, I am just going to tell her that her comment was insensitive and lacked the support I really need right now. If this is a problem for her, then we aren't really friends at all. If she realizes that what she said was wrong, then maybe we can salvage our friendship. I've come too far to doubt myself now.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Those cookies sound delicious. I can understand not wanting all of them in the house. When we made cookies for Christmas last year I had to take them to work because I found it very hard to have so many around the house.

I would probably just not talk to the friend at this point. I don't have room in my life for rude people and I have no problem dropping contact with people who act like that.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I eat an EXTREMELY strict diet, and most people that I'm around know not to even go there with me when it comes to food, but every once in awhile someone pushes those buttons. If I'm at say like, a birthday party, and someone offers me a piece of cake and I say no thank you, their favorite response is "you ate junk the first 25 years of your life. It won't kill you to eat one piece." I just look at them and say "75 pounds lost says that's not worth it." and walk away.

(I eat a strict diet of meat, veggies, whole fat dairy, and nuts. Carbs trigger me. I don't touch them. At this point it would make me sick!)
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I put up with a lot of that negativity too. I was told that I "look terrible" and "you're just hurting yourself". It's crap. Remind them that your health is more important. You might have to be "mean" but it's the only thing. Otherwise, you might need to push those people away. You deserve better.
  • christyg74
    christyg74 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You are allowed to say "NO" to things you don't want to do. Many of us gained weight because we didn't put ourselves first. Take of you!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This post reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”

So, my I'm feeling that this is not about the cookies. Without knowing anything about your friend I'd venture to guess that she doesn't have a healthy lifestyle, doesn't workout, doesn't care about nutrition and has no plans to do anything about it.
    I think her negativity stems from her own insecurities -- She has to sabotage your success in order to feel "safe"

Even if she felt that maybe there is a sensible way of engaging in the cookie swap while maintaining balance and blah, blah, blah - her jarring response to your refusal seems unwarranted.

In saying "so why punish yourself and everyone else." she is trying to guilt you and manipulate into giving up your choice.
    And in disregarding your response and putting down for the cookies anyway, she is totally dismissing your feelings, which is insulting.

I think that her response is not only negative, but disrespectful. This is beyond the cookies.
    I think she feel threatened by your lifestyle change. She probably feels like she's going to be left behind and she intends to drag you down with her.

Sorry. That's not a friend. Surround yourself with people that lift you higher.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'd use her negativity as inspiration & determination to prove the b!tch wrong. And come Christmas Cookie Swap 2016, when you're still keeping the weight off and feeling awesome about yourself - I'd dish it right back to her "Remember last year you told me that I'd just gain it all back & more? Thanks for the encouragement!" Smile sweetly at her, and then eat a delicious cookie!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You've said no to the cookie swap, so I suggest you leave it at that as far as that acquaintance is concerned. People like that, you give them an inch and they take a mile. If she asks later where are your grandma's cookies, remind her you already said no.

For energy suckers, I use a "boundaries" technique. The good and grateful people accept my boundaries. The dweebs get struck from the list.

A quickie article on energy vampires. I spend time with people who are supportive and energizing. The rest get the leftovers.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Oh I would do the cookie swap and then I would hand the cookies to the friend and hope it all went to her hips. But I'm evil that way LOL >:)
  • sdcamp3020
    Options
    This post reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”

I love that quote. Thanks everyone!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Since I don't know your level of willpower, participating in the cookie swap could be a good personal challenge. Like others noted - resign yourself to just one or two cookies. But enjoy the festivities. It happens when we make changes in our lifestyle that starts separating us from others they tend to turn a little ugly towards us at times. It will pass for most part.

We have our annual holiday lunch coming up and I heard that some of 'those people' were commenting that I wouldn't be able to keep my weight off, so I decided to wear the same dress from last year to this years lunch (hopefully it will have some extra room in it)! Just so they can see that indeed I have kept it off!

There will always be people around that won't have anything nice to say . . . all I can hope for is that one day they know exactly how it feels. Keep up the good work.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    sdcamp3020 wrote: »
    My "friend" called me on Friday because I hadn't signed up for our annual Christmas cookie swap. I reminded her that I was dedicated to my diet and keeping my sugars down. Her response was "You know you are going to gain all that weight and more back within a year; so why punish yourself and everyone else. I am just going to put you down for your grandmother's oatmeal cookies." I refused again; but it planted that seed of doubt and I have spent all weekend struggling with the urge to give up and binge. How do you deal with negative people?

Her negative comment was completely rude and inappropriate.

But food is an important piece of our cultural glue. It is at the heart of pretty much any social event I go to - especially this time of year. If I can't make peace with it, both loss and maintaining are much more challenging in the long run.

I'm baking 35 pumpkin pies over the next week and a half - some will be served at events I will attend, about half I'll hand over and not see eaten. I love baking, and I love providing food that people enjoy. I eat what I need in advance, figure out what I can safely eat at the event, or take some staples with me. That way I can enjoy the communion with loved ones without feeling the need to eat things my body can't handle.

If you enjoy baking, and whatever festivities that go along with the cookie exchange, take part in it - and drop the cookies you receive off at a local soup kitchen on the way home. They will really appreciate it - that's where about 20 of my pies will go.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is just ignore the negativity and prove them wrong. I have a few friends like that. I would go to the cookie exchange and bring a healthier version of a favorite recipe. I would eat one or two cookies and socialize. Show them you CAN eat a few cookies but still maintain your overall healthy diet. Then, I would take my share of the cookies to a local shelter.