Deer Antler

Options

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    obrienk82 wrote: »
    Anyone tried the deer antler supplement? Any results?

All it did was cost me a little doe.

<snork>

LOL There's always one in the bunch!

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    As entertaining as this thread has been (thank you witty people!) I was hoping there would be some actual feedback from anyone who has used it because my son is using it. Some nasty tasting spray that goes under the tongue. So far he hasn't had any side effects (good or bad) but I was hoping for some experiences from others.
    What does he say he's taking it for?

He heard it would help him build muscle so he takes it before a workout. He's not convinced so I don't think he'll be buying any more since there haven't been any measurable results.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Like everything else that's worthwhile in life, building muscle takes time and effort. :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Like everything else that's worthwhile in life, building muscle takes time and effort. :)

I agree, but my son is 23 and sometimes all those young guys at the gym want a quick fix and start trying goofy products. At this age I can't stop him, but at least he's smart enough to know it's not all he was told it would be.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    As entertaining as this thread has been (thank you witty people!) I was hoping there would be some actual feedback from anyone who has used it because my son is using it. Some nasty tasting spray that goes under the tongue. So far he hasn't had any side effects (good or bad) but I was hoping for some experiences from others.

He heard it would help him build muscle so he takes it before a workout. He's not convinced so I don't think he'll be buying any more since there haven't been any measurable results.

Oh boy. Yeah. That's not going to help him build muscle like he thinks/wants it to.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    At least he's not shooting steroids into his butt cheeks!
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Yeah, I think he quickly discovered that. And yes, thankfully no shooting of steroids. Kids. Gotta learn somehow I guess.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    367um2.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Deer-popcorn.gif
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Deer antler velvet harvesting has been around forever. One does not need to kill the deer to harvest it. Deer shed their antlers and grow a new pair every year. I can see how this could be effective. Walking around "shed hunting" will burn calories and could result in decreased weight and or increased fitness. If you find a shed antler then giving it to a dog to chew on or mounting it on the wall is optional.
    ETA: Warning! If you live in North America, and plan on taking up this activity immediately, please remember to wear hunter's orange while out in the woods. It is deer hunting season and you wouldn't want to be mistaken for the animal that is attached to the antlers this time of the year.

1 - the velvet dries, itches, and they rub it off in August. There is no velvet on their antlers when they are mature, so there wouldn't be any on sheds found in the woods.
    2 - In most states, the gun deer season is sometime in the fall/early winter. Bucks don't shed their antlers until the end of winter, in February or March, so it wouldn't make much sense to look for them in the deer hunting season.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

How old is your son? If he is still living at home why would you allow him to use a supposed 'supplement' without thoroughly researching it first? While this one might be relatively harmless, some of them can be quite dangerous.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think he quickly discovered that. And yes, thankfully no shooting of steroids. Kids. Gotta learn somehow I guess.

Maybe no shooting steroids...

...but he should probably be slamming protein drinks.

Drinking them is far less effective than slamming them too. I suppose he could pound them, but slamming seems to be the preferred method for maximal muscle gains.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    eat protein for energy - combined with good nutrition
    if arthritis is a concern, glucosamine and chondrointin with msm works wonders for some

Another placebo

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Deer antlers are great for weight loss

As long as they are still attached to the deer and you are carrying the whole thing a mile or so back to the truck. Uphill is even better. ;)
    2mpwyso.jpg
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    My lord, I went to bed while we were back on page one. I had no ideer this thread would deliver so well! :smiley:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    My lord, I went to bed while we were back on page one. I had no ideer this thread would deliver so well! :smiley:

Five bucks says there's more to go in this thread too.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    f306ff76abd600ea3207e3787beffd4d.jpg
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Deer antler velvet harvesting has been around forever. One does not need to kill the deer to harvest it. Deer shed their antlers and grow a new pair every year. I can see how this could be effective. Walking around "shed hunting" will burn calories and could result in decreased weight and or increased fitness. If you find a shed antler then giving it to a dog to chew on or mounting it on the wall is optional.
    ETA: Warning! If you live in North America, and plan on taking up this activity immediately, please remember to wear hunter's orange while out in the woods. It is deer hunting season and you wouldn't want to be mistaken for the animal that is attached to the antlers this time of the year.

1 - the velvet dries, itches, and they rub it off in August. There is no velvet on their antlers when they are mature, so there wouldn't be any on sheds found in the woods.
    2 - In most states, the gun deer season is sometime in the fall/early winter. Bucks don't shed their antlers until the end of winter, in February or March, so it wouldn't make much sense to look for them in the deer hunting season.

I was being silly, even though velvet harvesting has been around forever, I am unaware of any benefit in ingesting it. The only benefit that I can see in antlers was the exercise one would get looking for them, finding them would be immaterial to any benefit that would come from searching for them.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ra,unisex_tshirt,x3104,army,front-c,650,630,900,975-bg,f8f8f8.jpg
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

0167d5207555cae897d86c9284c22ab6a1b9c8174328704801fc036b41e1988d.jpg