Help! I'm gaining weight with diet and exercise!

I'm hoping to get advice on a problem I can't quite figure out myself. I've spent the last 7-8 weeks trying to lose weight through exercise and watching what I eat. In that time, I've experienced weight fluctuations of gain and loss. The most I've lost is 1.2 pounds below my starting weight and today I weigh 5 pounds more than the starting weight.

11/20 - 159.2
11/16 - 155.6
11/8 - 157.2
10/25 - 158.0
10/18 - 152.6
10/12 - 155.4
10/4 - 154.2
9/20 - 153.8

The tough thing is, it might take a week to lose 2 pounds, but then it will take 1-3 days and all of it comes back - and I'm not binge eating! I'm eating more or less the same things - keeping a food diary, and exercising 2-3 times per week. For the last week I've eliminated wheat, dairy, and sugar. I seriously thought no sugar would help but I'm baffled by the scale this morning showing a 2 pound weight gain in just 1 day.

The only thing I can think is water weight but I'm not sure how to tell. The only other culprit I can think of is a hormonal imbalance - I have a fibroid (it's a very common benign tumor in the uterus that up to 50% of women get). The presence of the fibroid most likely means I have excess estrogen in my body - I'm doing as much as I can to lower estrogen (eating only organic, no dairy or sugar, taking supplements).

Does anyone know what could cause a difficulty in losing weight? Should I go to a doctor and ask to be tested for anything specific?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    What's your planned calorie deficit, and are you weighing your foods to get your portions close to exact?

Frankly, it doesn't matter if you give up dairy or wheat or sugar, it matters if you give up total daily calories. You could lose weight on fast food cheeseburgers if you kept your calorie intake at the proper levels.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Hi, Do you use a food scale? It makes a huge difference. I was guessing portion sizes and was over estimating. If you are using a scale then it could be water retention.

What is you height and how many calories do you consume a day? This will help as well with answering your question.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    As long as you are not at the bottom of your calorie allowance try cutting your target by 100 calories a day. Take alternate rest days off on your exercise. Try this for a month and see what happens.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Research into this subject has time and time again shown that we underestimate calories by a median of 30%. Very much human nature.

When our tracking methods report a deficit, but we gain weight it indicates we have a problem with our tracking methods. We are prone to mistakes.

One consensus on the MFP forum is that using a food scale is the best way to help correct ourselves and reduce reporting errors. This is supported by the research. Grams or ounces (weight) is more accurate than measuring cups, and absolutely more accurate than eyeballing it.

The second thing is missing things, such as the butter we put on our potato, or that mini Snickers we grabbed. We have to evaluate ourselves without judgement (because we're all guilty of this).

The third thing is to check our entries. Are we using the correct information? The database is crowd sourced and there are a lot of incorrect entries. Try verifying with the USDA Nutrient Database, or nutritiondata.self.com.

Finally, exercise is great for our overall health, but it does not help us lose weight as well as our eating habits. Exercise calorie burns are vastly overestimated in this database and on most exercise equipment. Heart rate monitors are more correct. Ultimately, focus on the eating habits and reporting more for weight loss.

Reevaluate, change the methods, reassess in 2 weeks.

• lepeep717
    lepeep717 Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you all for the advice. No, I don't use a food scale but I'm going to get one right away and try to be as accurate as possible recording calories and portion sizes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    If you're gaining weight, you need to eat fewer calories, exercise more or both.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    lepeep717 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice. No, I don't use a food scale but I'm going to get one right away and try to be as accurate as possible recording calories and portion sizes.

Good plan!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Research into this subject has time and time again shown that we underestimate calories by a median of 30%. Very much human nature.

When our tracking methods report a deficit, but we gain weight it indicates we have a problem with our tracking methods. We are prone to mistakes.

One consensus on the MFP forum is that using a food scale is the best way to help correct ourselves and reduce reporting errors. This is supported by the research. Grams or ounces (weight) is more accurate than measuring cups, and absolutely more accurate than eyeballing it.

The second thing is missing things, such as the butter we put on our potato, or that mini Snickers we grabbed. We have to evaluate ourselves without judgement (because we're all guilty of this).

The third thing is to check our entries. Are we using the correct information? The database is crowd sourced and there are a lot of incorrect entries. Try verifying with the USDA Nutrient Database, or nutritiondata.self.com.

Finally, exercise is great for our overall health, but it does not help us lose weight as well as our eating habits. Exercise calorie burns are vastly overestimated in this database and on most exercise equipment. Heart rate monitors are more correct. Ultimately, focus on the eating habits and reporting more for weight loss.

Reevaluate, change the methods, reassess in 2 weeks.

Good post!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    lepeep717 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get advice on a problem I can't quite figure out myself. I've spent the last 7-8 weeks trying to lose weight through exercise and watching what I eat. In that time, I've experienced weight fluctuations of gain and loss. The most I've lost is 1.2 pounds below my starting weight and today I weigh 5 pounds more than the starting weight.

11/20 - 159.2
    11/16 - 155.6
    11/8 - 157.2
    10/25 - 158.0
    10/18 - 152.6
    10/12 - 155.4
    10/4 - 154.2
    9/20 - 153.8

The tough thing is, it might take a week to lose 2 pounds, but then it will take 1-3 days and all of it comes back - and I'm not binge eating! I'm eating more or less the same things - keeping a food diary, and exercising 2-3 times per week. For the last week I've eliminated wheat, dairy, and sugar. I seriously thought no sugar would help but I'm baffled by the scale this morning showing a 2 pound weight gain in just 1 day.

The only thing I can think is water weight but I'm not sure how to tell. The only other culprit I can think of is a hormonal imbalance - I have a fibroid (it's a very common benign tumor in the uterus that up to 50% of women get). The presence of the fibroid most likely means I have excess estrogen in my body - I'm doing as much as I can to lower estrogen (eating only organic, no dairy or sugar, taking supplements).

Does anyone know what could cause a difficulty in losing weight? Should I go to a doctor and ask to be tested for anything specific?

If you have gained 5lbs in 8 weeks you have logging issues and are eating more than you're burning by around 300 calories a day

You need to weigh and accurately log your food
    You need to not overestimate your activity level and exercise calories

Or you have a medical issue with thyroid or hormones and should get bloods

It's most likely the former

It could be the latter

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Yeah, I was just talking about getting a scale. You can lose just using measuring cups (I did), but you then also have to do regular (daily) vigorous cardio to get rid of the margin of error. No cheating yourself that way, either, you have to sweat. (Sweating doesn't = calories burned exactly, but you get my drift, the effort level has to be there - you should feel like you worked.)
  • lynettekotze
    lynettekotze Posts: 3 Member
    What exercises are you doing? It would very likely be that you are putting on more muscle. Remember muscle weighs a LOT more than fat (mostly because muscle has more water in it, and water is heavy), so even if you put on a small amount of muscle, and lost a fair amount of fat, you can end up weighing more.

I also find that people who exercise drink more water, which again, will make you weigh more (hence you should only ever weigh yourself first thing in the morning when you have little fluids in your body).

Ignoring the weight, how do you look? Is your fav pair of jeans tighter or looser? You might find that if you go by the measurements of how your clothes fit, you are in fact thinner, even though you weigh more.

Other than that, people fastly underestimate the amount of calories they consume. We tend to forget to log the 1 biscuit we ate at a colleague's desk at work, or the 2tablespoons of olive oil over our salad, or the sugar in our coffee/tea.
  • Sued0nim
    What exercises are you doing? It would very likely be that you are putting on more muscle. Remember muscle weighs a LOT more than fat (mostly because muscle has more water in it, and water is heavy), so even if you put on a small amount of muscle, and lost a fair amount of fat, you can end up weighing more.

I also find that people who exercise drink more water, which again, will make you weigh more (hence you should only ever weigh yourself first thing in the morning when you have little fluids in your body).

Ignoring the weight, how do you look? Is your fav pair of jeans tighter or looser? You might find that if you go by the measurements of how your clothes fit, you are in fact thinner, even though you weigh more.

Other than that, people fastly underestimate the amount of calories they consume. We tend to forget to log the 1 biscuit we ate at a colleague's desk at work, or the 2tablespoons of olive oil over our salad, or the sugar in our coffee/tea.

No you don't put on muscle in a defecit unless under specific circumstances and certainly not in that time frame or as a woman..I really wish it was that easy

Drinking more makes you less water retentive not more, when you are dehydrated your water weight will go up
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member

5lbs of muscle is nearly impossible to gain in that time frame without some serious work, and eating a surplus of calories.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Can you also open your diary?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Power walk as fast as you can for 30 to 60 minutes every day. Then you will not need a food scale. You will just need to ballpark your calories and you will still lose weight. And you will feel better and be healthier too.

Or you could just eat less and have to weigh everything you eat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Power walk as fast as you can for 30 to 60 minutes every day. Then you will not need a food scale. You will just need to ballpark your calories and you will still lose weight. And you will feel better and be healthier too.

Power walking will create maybe an additional 200 calorie deficit. Ballparking your calories can create a much larger error than that, especially for somebody who isn't experienced with portion sizes (and it's quite possible that the OP falls in that category based upon her post). I could go in the kitchen and easily wipe out 200 calories in about a minute. Not saying that walking isn't good exercise and doesn't have other benefits, but it certainly won't compensate for sloppy logging.
  • Sued0nim
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    bcalvanese wrote: »

Power walking will create maybe an additional 200 calorie deficit. Ballparking your calories can create a much larger error than that, especially for somebody who isn't experienced with portion sizes (and it's quite possible that the OP falls in that category based upon her post). I could go in the kitchen and easily wipe out 200 calories in about a minute. Not saying that walking isn't good exercise and doesn't have other benefits, but it certainly won't compensate for sloppy logging.

This ...so much this

Plus power walking will probably increase your appetite, maybe not same day but day after and that makes ball parking even more difficult ...particularly the lower your defecit
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I lost 55 lbs. in about 11 months by power walking every day, and ball parking my calories. I don't even log my food anymore because I am training myself to be able to eat smartly without having to keep track of everything I eat.

And when I say power walk, I mean walk fast enough to get into cardio zone 3/4 for 30 to 60 minutes per day. You can burn way more than just a couple hundred calories, and I have gone on longer walks on hilly trails where I burned over 800 calories. If you are going to spend an hour walking, you may as well get the best out of it by pushing yourself, and improving your fitness at the same time. You only get out of something what you put into it.

It's all about replacing bad habits with good habits, but you have to put in the work to get the results. Once you reach your healthy weight, you can add 500 more BMR calories to your daily intake, only have to do 2 to 3 hours of cardio and 1 to 2 hours of muscular conditioning per week to maintain fitness level, and will be able to eat enough to get what your body needs without being hungry all the time.

Anyone who is capable of walking should be able to do this and get the same result.
  • Sued0nim
    That's not how it generally works though as appetite to tends to increase with increased intense activity but I'm pleased it works for you