Help! I'm gaining weight with diet and exercise!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Watching what you eat, is not being in a deficit. Being in a deficit, is what causes weight loss.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    If that is not how it generally works, then maybe that is why most people fail, and it worked for me because I put the work in to get the result.

I think many people make it much more complicated than it needs to be. I also think many people just don't want to put the work in. Lets face it. Its very strenuous and uncomfortable to exercise, and many people do not want to do it. But once you make it a habit, and once you reach a healthy weight and good fitness level, its not that hard to maintain it. The hardest part is getting to that level.

It's really pretty simple.

if you are not active enough and eat too much you will be over weight.

if you are active enough and don't eat too much you will not be over weight.

But many people who are already over weight do not want to go through the discomfort of activity. So what do they do? They turn to weighing food, counting calories, and starving themselves. IMO, that is just replacing one bad habit with another.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    edited November 2015
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    If that is not how it generally works, then maybe that is why most people fail, and it worked for me because I put the work in to get the result.

I think many people make it much more complicated than it needs to be. I also think many people just don't want to put the work in. Lets face it. Its very strenuous and uncomfortable to exercise, and many people do not want to do it. But once you make it a habit, and once you reach a healthy weight and good fitness level, its not that hard to maintain it. The hardest part is getting to that level.

But many people who are already over weight do not want to go through the discomfort of activity. So what do they do? They turn to weighing food, counting calories, and starving themselves. IMO, that is just replacing one bad habit with another.

I realise that you've had success with your method, but that doesn't always work for everyone. It's completely down to personal preference and experience.

When I started out on MFP, I worked out 5x a week and weighed everything, and I lose weight. Now that I'm a lot busier and at a 'healthy' BMI, I'm not working out- but I'm still counting calories. And I'm still losing weight.

You can easily log and counter a sedentary lifestyle through logging and deficit. You can't out-exercise bad eating (or inaccurate/nonexistent logging).

ETA: I do agree that a lot of people dont want to put the work in though- but those that do will see the benefits, and those that dont (wether its sticking to a calorie goal or working out or both) wont see any weight loss or reach their goals. And that's their own loss.
  • lepeep717
    lepeep717 Posts: 9 Member
    Mystery solved! I started my period this morning, which explains the 4.6 pound sudden weight gain which is water retention. It came a week early, so I didn't realize it was starting. The water weight should go down when my period ends in the next few days.

@Asher_Ethan - this was yesterday's food diary entry with calorie info:

8:30 am - 1 green drink - 110

10:00 am - quinoa salad - 112

11:29 am - quinoa salad - 56

12:45 pm- Sprouted lentil salad - 65 ; sugar free chocolates - 170

2:51 pm - Veggie straws - 120

2:00 pm - Sparkling grapefruit juice - 5

5:00 pm - Lentil salad - 65

9:15 pm - grilled chicken pesto panini - 576 ; 1 gin and tonic - 143

12:30 - 6 pcs sugar free choc - 360

Total - 1782 calories

I don't normally eat dinner so late, but it was Saturday night and I met friends out at a restaurant. Could have done without the late night chocolates. A few calculators online have said I should be able to lose weight with a daily intake of 1730 (so I went a little over yesterday).
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    What exercises are you doing? It would very likely be that you are putting on more muscle. Remember muscle weighs a LOT more than fat (mostly because muscle has more water in it, and water is heavy), so even if you put on a small amount of muscle, and lost a fair amount of fat, you can end up weighing more.

I also find that people who exercise drink more water, which again, will make you weigh more (hence you should only ever weigh yourself first thing in the morning when you have little fluids in your body).

Ignoring the weight, how do you look? Is your fav pair of jeans tighter or looser? You might find that if you go by the measurements of how your clothes fit, you are in fact thinner, even though you weigh more.

Other than that, people fastly underestimate the amount of calories they consume. We tend to forget to log the 1 biscuit we ate at a colleague's desk at work, or the 2tablespoons of olive oil over our salad, or the sugar in our coffee/tea.

1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    What exercises are you doing? It would very likely be that you are putting on more muscle. Remember muscle weighs a LOT more than fat (mostly because muscle has more water in it, and water is heavy), so even if you put on a small amount of muscle, and lost a fair amount of fat, you can end up weighing more.

I also find that people who exercise drink more water, which again, will make you weigh more (hence you should only ever weigh yourself first thing in the morning when you have little fluids in your body).

Ignoring the weight, how do you look? Is your fav pair of jeans tighter or looser? You might find that if you go by the measurements of how your clothes fit, you are in fact thinner, even though you weigh more.

Other than that, people fastly underestimate the amount of calories they consume. We tend to forget to log the 1 biscuit we ate at a colleague's desk at work, or the 2tablespoons of olive oil over our salad, or the sugar in our coffee/tea.

no, no, no ..

• ndj1979

all you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Exercise is good for extra calorie burns, body recomp, and general health ...
  • JustMissTracy
    ndj1979 wrote: »

all you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Exercise is good for extra calorie burns, body recomp, and general health ...

Although...exercise DOES help to create the deficit needed to lose weight.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Power walk as fast as you can for 30 to 60 minutes every day. Then you will not need a food scale. You will just need to ballpark your calories and you will still lose weight. And you will feel better and be healthier too.

Or you could just eat less...weigh everything you eat.

More useless advice from MFP.
    It worked for you because whatever your method was, which is completely unscientific, put you in a calorie deficit. You should stop giving advice or stick to the last bit.
  • ndj1979

yes, that is why I pointed out that it increase calorie burns….
  • JustMissTracy

Exactly. So bcalvanese isn't actually wrong. Per se.
  • ndj1979

Exactly. So bcalvanese isn't actually wrong. Per se.

actually, he is because he said if your not active you will be overweight, which is not true.
  • JustMissTracy

What I have bolded above are not untrue statements.
  • motivatedfemale
    motivatedfemale Posts: 2 Member
    Hi,
    I had the same problem few years back.This is what I did to overcome weight due to water retention-
    Consume lesser calories for dinner.Like they say have breakfast like king and dinner like pauper:-)Give at least 2-3 hrs gap between your dinner and when you go to bed.
    Do exercises that really make you sweat.Switch off air conditioning while working out.You need to work harder if you live in colder region.
    Eliminate foods that cause hormonal imbalances,start consuming foods with low glycemic index.A spoonful full flax seed powder everyday helps lower estrogen.
    Lastly this is what personally helped me a great deal-have a big bowl of salad which mainly consists of grated vegetables that have natural water content in them-turnip,pumpkin,squash,radish,cucumber.You can add carrot,lettuce/cabbage to it.Just add pepper,salt and have it before breakfast every morning.
    Good luck.I hope it helps.
  • OldAssDude
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »

I realise that you've had success with your method, but that doesn't always work for everyone. It's completely down to personal preference and experience.

When I started out on MFP, I worked out 5x a week and weighed everything, and I lose weight. Now that I'm a lot busier and at a 'healthy' BMI, I'm not working out- but I'm still counting calories. And I'm still losing weight.

You can easily log and counter a sedentary lifestyle through logging and deficit. You can't out-exercise bad eating (or inaccurate/nonexistent logging).

ETA: I do agree that a lot of people dont want to put the work in though- but those that do will see the benefits, and those that dont (wether its sticking to a calorie goal or working out or both) wont see any weight loss or reach their goals. And that's their own loss.

I'm sorry, but unless the basic laws of physics changes from person to person, this will work for anyone who can walk.
  • lepeep717
    lepeep717 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi,
    I had the same problem few years back.This is what I did to overcome weight due to water retention-
    Consume lesser calories for dinner.Like they say have breakfast like king and dinner like pauper:-)Give at least 2-3 hrs gap between your dinner and when you go to bed.
    Do exercises that really make you sweat.Switch off air conditioning while working out.You need to work harder if you live in colder region.
    Eliminate foods that cause hormonal imbalances,start consuming foods with low glycemic index.A spoonful full flax seed powder everyday helps lower estrogen.
    Lastly this is what personally helped me a great deal-have a big bowl of salad which mainly consists of grated vegetables that have natural water content in them-turnip,pumpkin,squash,radish,cucumber.You can add carrot,lettuce/cabbage to it.Just add pepper,salt and have it before breakfast every morning.

Thanks!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »

I'm sorry, but unless the basic laws of physics changes from person to person, this will work for anyone who can walk.

It will only work if they are eating at a deficit. While calorie counting is not necessary to be at a deficit, it is certainly helpful. Some people can stay at a deficit without counting and logging (You seem to have learned, through practice, what it a deficit for you). Some people struggle, even after years - portion creep and other factors that can make it a challenge. So, when somebody says they are not losing weight, that's often the best place to start - getting calories under control. The whole "when you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras" thing.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Hi,

Meal timing and when you eat the largest portion of your calories is simply a matter of preference and will not, by itself, have an effect on weight loss. It's the total number of calories that matter, not when you eat them.

Sweating isn't a good indication of calorie expenditure in exercise. There's no need to switch off the A/C unless you feel better that way (and no need to work harder in cooler regions). Do be sure to get adequate hydration either way, though!
  • OldAssDude

1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat.

True, but in terms of volume, muscle weighs more than fat.
  • JustMissTracy
    Seriously? It "weighs" more? Or it takes up less space, is more compact and is the same weight?