Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Yes to dairy. All the dairy!

Except buttermilk. Because yuck.

Buttermilk makes the best quick breads though. If you're going to make pancakes, waffles, or biscuits, you really should use it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

:open_mouth: Do you even scone? Or cake? @AnvilHead

@rabbitjb - I do indeed scone and cake. I pancake too. I even cottage cheese. But I don't buttermilk. God kills a kitten every time somebody drinks that nasty, clotted, sour stuff.

It's an ingredient not a drink...who on earth drinks buttermilk? Is that even a thing?

*sheltered life*

It's a drink here in Germany (I'm in Germany this week) - and even comes flavoured - less sour. More like a thick lassi.

But... it's .... LUMPY!!!!!! I can't even.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    In the movie "The Quiet Man", which takes place in Ireland, Barry Fitzgerald's character, visiting Victor MacLaghlen's character, asks for a drink, hoping for whiskey. Victor says "You're welcome to the butter milk", which is in a big white pitcher on the kitchen table, where Victor is happily gorging himself. Barry shudders and replies "The Borgias would do better."
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    That should have been "Victor McLaglen".
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to Soy milk after reading that regular (cow) dairy is not that good for you and can cause bloating. I do not like the soy milk. Anyone out there with 1. facts about the true evil powers of dairy or 2. product recommendations for substitutes that won't make me gag?

I really miss my afternoon Greek yogurt, and my cheddar with crackers with my wine. :-) Thanks!

Dairy in moderation is fine. Unless of course you are lactose intolerant, then I'd suggest you steer clear.

If you really are suspicious of dairy though and want to avoid it, nut milks (like almond and cashew) aren't too bad and coconut milk (the drinking kind) is quite nice.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I get milk straight out of the udder...so yes to dairy...:)

Okay, that's bought up a weird image. :#
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    kwisdom08 wrote: »
    Although your body may not have any adverse reactions to dairy I would not endorse the consumption of it. Unless it is local grass fed; commercial cow milk is full of products and hormones who knows what their affects are. I would be very careful and attentive to ingredients and added fillers.

That is just silly.

What 'added fillers'?

And if something does not give you any adverse effects then I would not stop consuming it, unless I wanted to, just because 'who knows what unknown effects there could be'

• RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options

@rabbitjb - I do indeed scone and cake. I pancake too. I even cottage cheese. But I don't buttermilk. God kills a kitten every time somebody drinks that nasty, clotted, sour stuff.

It's an ingredient not a drink...who on earth drinks buttermilk? Is that even a thing?

*sheltered life*

It's a drink here in Germany (I'm in Germany this week) - and even comes flavoured - less sour. More like a thick lassi.

But... it's .... LUMPY!!!!!! I can't even.

I'm Dutch and it's also a very popular drink here. Kids in school can actually choose between semi skim, full fat or karnemelk (which is buttermilk). I think it's extremely gross (like you said, it's lumpy! Ack! :s ) But lots of people I know drink and love it.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Boy oh boy we've been living with a secure food system so long we've forgotten. When I was a little girl living in the West Indies the cautious cook bought a live chicken just to be sure it was healthy. My son in law fresh from Africa was very cautious with fresh milk because where he came from soured was more secure. At least then he knew what bacteria infested his milk.

We have regulations, certificates, inspectors, refrigeration, homogenization, filtering, hygiene, and testing that allow us security with our food.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Boy oh boy we've been living with a secure food system so long we've forgotten. When I was a little girl living in the West Indies the cautious cook bought a live chicken just to be sure it was healthy. My son in law fresh from Africa was very cautious with fresh milk because where he came from soured was more secure. At least then he knew what bacteria infested his milk.

We have regulations, certificates, inspectors, refrigeration, homogenization, filtering, hygiene, and testing that allow us security with our food.

Thanks for this. So true.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

*sheltered life*

I love buttermilk! I was brought up on the stuff! In the Netherlands you can buy it by the litre, I miss it a lot now i live in the UK, you can only get it in little piddly pots :(
  • mwmix
    mwmix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think that moderation is the key here. I personally consume it, but not in excess (though I love cheese!). If dairy doesn't sit well with you or if you find you feel better without it, I would recommend coconut milk. It's good, low cal, and much more environmentally-sustainable than soy (GMO crops and rainforest depletion) and almond milk (a gallon of water in drought-ridden Cali goes to grow a single almond), if that plays a role in your decision.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My mum guzzles buttermilk straight out of the carton :sick: she is German, so was raised on it. Adding buttermilk in a pancake mix however, rather than normal milk makes a world of delicious difference
  • Jen58473
    Jen58473 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat dairy, I have no problem with bloating, but have several non-lactose-related issues. I generally don't substitute anything for it, I changed the way I eat instead. For example, I stopped eating breakfast cereal altogether. For recipes that call for dairy, I use coconut milk.

But as most people are saying, if you don't personally have physical or ethical problems with dairy, why give it up? Without dairy, I have to take a supplement to get enough calcium and getting adequate protein on my limited budget can be a problem.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

Not shocking. My husband and I are both of good mixed northern/western European stock and neither of us nor our horde of beast children have any problems with dairy.

Lol... I'm going file that one away for future use!

Hmmm. I was caught more by
    both of good mixed northern/western European stock

and wondering what that meant.

Off the cuff Smart-assedness. All human stock is Good.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I cannot drink cow milk because I am lactose intolerant. I can eat cheese and yogurt.
    Drink the milk if it is helping you reach you goals.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with dairy; I still eat it. I did experiment with going dairy-free at one time for six weeks since I read it might help with one of my medical conditions but I really noticed zero effects from cutting dairy for me.
    I do sometimes drink almond and/or coconut milk instead though. I've never liked the taste of cow's milk, but I put half and half in my coffee and I love cheese and sometimes eat yogurt, ice cream, etc.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking moo milk and have switched to coconut milk and cashew milk but I still eat yogurt and kefir for the probiotics. Buttermilk is also great when it's available.
  • breakfasttomadness
    Options
    I don't do dairy as a personal preference. We cut out most dairy except Greek yogurt after I got a bacterial infection in my mouth. But we just generally enjoyed how our bodies felt after not having it so long. We didn't notice how weighed down and tired we felt after eating something really cheesy or creamy (neither of us have lactose intolerance or dairy sensitivity) until we cut the dairy out for a month and went back. So we just decided to keep it at a minimum. Personally we like using the coconut milk blends in cereals and coffee because it's not as gritty as soymilk can be. But you don't have to cut out milk just cause some doc-in-a-box says it's bad. If you prefer it then go for it. If you need your cows milk then by all means drink it.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Can't drink milk instant stomach ache yet I can consume high amounts of cheese and ice cream which I find odd but very very happy I don't have to give up the good stuff!