Detoxing

For the past 3 days, I been severely constipated and had up my fiber intake during those days, drinking nothing but hot decaf tea (10-15 mugs) and water. Plus I took a laxative, colon massage but nothing seems to be working. What should I do? Trying to prepare for thanksgiving by cleaning out my colon. Don't feel like going to see my family with a bloated distended stomach and feeling uncomfortable. Plz help.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Sometimes eating more fat helps. Otherwise, time to see a doctor.
  • I did eat some cheese sausage and I no sausage is very fattening.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Exercise is a big help with staying regular, as is drinking enough water and eating fiber.

If you go four or five days without pooping, you should call the doctor. Try not to use the word "detox." Just tell them that you haven't pooped for however long. If you say you need to detox, they may not know what you mean.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I have no idea what a "colon massage" is, but if you're severely constipated and over-the-counter remedies aren't helping, you should go see a doctor.

There's no need to clean out your colon to prepare for Thanksgiving, but a doctor will probably be able to help with the discomfort and help you figure out if something is wrong.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    I did eat some cheese sausage and I no sausage is very fattening.

Too many calories, no matter the source, is fattening. Sausage when part of a healthy overall diet is not fattening nor is it in any way bad. The plan you describe in your opening post is unhealthy and lacks anything resembling nutrition.

Exactly what is the logic of "cleaning out" your colon? That does nothing to reduce overall body fat and any weight lost as a result is immediately regained when you give your body the food it needs.
  • I just like to empty my colon to relieve bloating and feel lighter is what I mean. It's mostly very uncomfortable and I exercise 1.5-2 hours a day and still nothing works.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Coffee usually helps me. If not Magnesium Citrate drink can be bought at most Walgreens/Walmarts. One will work well, but I highly suggest doing it the day before you can be home for a few hours in the morning.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    How much do you eat on a day when you're not starving yourself with the exception of laxatives? What do you weigh? How tall are you? What is your goal weight?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I just like to empty my colon to relieve bloating and feel lighter is what I mean. It's mostly very uncomfortable and I exercise 1.5-2 hours a day and still nothing works.

If you are in good health, food will pass through your colon without any special effort on your part. If this isn't happening, you need to see a doctor.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Magnesium citrate should help. Drink the entire container within a half and hour and then drink plenty of water. If you don't want to go that route you can try 1/2 cup of Miralax- with A LOT of water - 16oz to begin with and then try to drink another 16oz minimum. I know it sounds like a lot of Miralax but it was something my doctor told me to try. We don't absorb Miralax, it just passes through our tract and draws water into the colon. One last thing, if you are constipated you may be compounding the issue by eating a lot of fiber. Fiber is what builds and forms stool, so if you are constipated for a few days eating extra fiber is just adding to the issue. Good luck and feel better!
  • Thank you. Hate the feeling of being constipated.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    If you think it's fiber, try the Fiber One brownies. Only 90 calories, but gives you a boost to fiber. I know that that's been my problem since I was a kid, despite all the bread I eat, and having that one brownie in the morning is usually enough to give me the boost I need. And if you need to use Mirelax from time to time, that's not a problem. I had one doctor tell me to have some every morning, and the first few days were helpful. After that, well, let's just say multiple trips to the bathroom are not fun. >< But I still use it when I need to, and it's a good help to get things moving when I need it.

With that said, if this is a constant problem, I defiantly suggest talking to your doctor. There may be some underlying issue you don't know about. Not saying there is, but best to rule that out.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Big bowl of fiber one original cereal + cup of coffee + walk around the block (don't go too far!) usually works.

If no relief, try the Miralax. It's what the big GI practice here recommends for occasional constipation.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I'm confused. Are you having trouble with regular constipation, and you are just trying to get things moving again down there, or are you feeling like you need to take special measures to prepare for Thanksgiving because you want to make way for what's to come?

If the former, then yes, I would suggest the three F's: fat, fiber, fluids and some of the over the counter remedies like Miralax, etc. If those aren't working, then call your doctor.

If it is the latter, then I am not sure what to say, this is concerning to starve yourself, take laxatives, etc in order to have more room for a big meal a few days from now...
  • It's mostly a regular problem. I tried laxatives and everything but nothing works
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2015
    For the past 3 days, I been severely constipated ...
    I took a laxative, colon massage but nothing seems to be working. What should I do?
    Trying to prepare for thanksgiving by cleaning out my colon.
    How often do you normally poo, and in the past 3 days how often have you pooed?
    If it's just a bit different, stop worrying, stop starving yourself, stop abusing laxatives.
    It it's changed a lot in a short period of time, and you've tried a couple doses of the several types of laxatives
    (bulk, softening, osmotic, stimulant ... not all at the same time), and still no result, then see your doctor.

The size of your stomach won't change just because you've done a colonoscopy bowel prep (emptied the
    intestines), and that's what determines how much you can eat before feeling full.
    Also, being ravenously hungry makes it more likely you'll make poor choices & eat too many calories.

had up my fiber intake during those days, drinking nothing but hot decaf tea (10-15 mugs) and water
    So which was it?
    Did you increase fiber, or were you on a clear liquid diet (again, colonoscopy prep)?
    And BTW, caffein/caffine increases the rate of pooing. It's a stimulant.

You don't need to "detox", your body handles poisons (toxins) just fine through the liver, lungs, kidneys, & skin.
    You don't need to empty your bowels to enjoy a holiday. (Or if you do, you need counseling, more help than some
    strangers on the internet can provide.)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    It's mostly a regular problem. I tried laxatives and everything but nothing works
    Simplest solution:
    Increase water.
    Increase exercise.
    Increase fiber (largely fruits & veggies).

Laxatives are a short-term fix, not something to rely on. Better to change your food & exercise.

Though, that being said, my doctor told me that _a_ dose of miralax (which pulls more water into the bowels),
    and _a_ dose of metamucil (which softens the stool by using that extra water to form soft bulky fiber), is OK.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    It's mostly a regular problem. I tried laxatives and everything but nothing works
    You really need a doctor.

I don't know why people are saying you're starving, but if you are, constipation is a huge problem. The #1 best thing to keep you regular is exercise. People who starve generally don't do much of it because they're laying around and starving.

Even if you're starving, starve on fruits and veggies and not peanut butter cups or Oreos. The fruits and veggies give you fiber and nutrients. The less you eat, the more the choices of food have to count. Eating a normal amount of healthy food is the key to a healthy diet that makes you happy. But if you absolutely must starve, at least make the food you do eat healthy food.

If you really have an ED or any trouble with undereating, seek recovery. Starving leads to unhappiness. Recovery is the way out of the pit.

Whether you're starving or you aren't, a doctor is the best place start.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

I don't know why people are saying you're starving, but if you are, constipation is a huge problem. The #1 best thing to keep you regular is exercise. People who starve generally don't do much of it because they're laying around and starving.

Even if you're starving, starve on fruits and veggies and not peanut butter cups or Oreos. The fruits and veggies give you fiber and nutrients. The less you eat, the more the choices of food have to count. Eating a normal amount of healthy food is the key to a healthy diet that makes you happy. But if you absolutely must starve, at least make the food you do eat healthy food.

If you really have an ED or any trouble with undereating, seek recovery. Starving leads to unhappiness. Recovery is the way out of the pit.

I think people were talking about starving, myself included, because the title of the thread was detox and the original post mentioned drinking nothing but tea and taking a laxative. Looking back, I guess that doesn't exclude eating foods, but that's the way I interpreted it originally which is why I asked some questions.

I agree, if this is a chronic problem, I think a doctor visit is in order.

There seems to be a lot of missing/conflicting details, but one thing is for sure, OP cannot be very comfortable if this is going on for days at a time...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

As of last month this user was coming off of a vlcd by their own admission: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270184/coming-out-of-starvation-mode-help/p1

VLCDs often cause constipation and coupled with frequent laxative use it could be a sign of deeper issues caused by the previous diet. A trip doctor is good advice.