Alli / Xenical, Does It Work? (Please Only Answer If You Have Actually Taken It)

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Alli, but it reminds me of the "issues" I had when Lays potato chips came out with chips cooked in Olean. Anyone else get some surprises from them, too?
    Major stomach cramps and several back to back trips to the bathroom. At least I was at home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't like how everybody is just dumping on Alli. OP asked for positive responses, not crappy replies.

Just a note. I wasn't looking for only positive responses.

I just wanted honest feedback from people who have actually taken the product, not a bunch of people who have no firsthand experience with it. I like to hear right from the horse's mouth, good or in some cases here, extremely bad and somewhat hilarious, before I make a decision. I have friends who have taken it and their results were what I would call mixed. The product is FDA approved as a weight loss supplement, so I thought it might have some credibility, but online reviews that I read were also mixed, so I wanted to hear from more people.

I just didn't want a thread full of the same thing that we have all heard a thousand times (calorie deficit, calorie deficit, calorie deficit). This I know already. I didn't need to make a thread to hear that. I just wanted firsthand experience. I mean, if you haven't taken the stuff and are commenting, you are pretty much just "talking out of your *kitten*."

So, I want to thank those of you who shared your firsthand experiences. Going by that, I probably won't be taking this product. It just seems to risky.

P.S. I did not know that there were this many people in the world who had *kitten* on themselves. I am shocked, terrified, amused, and disturbed all at once.

Well, TBH, we've all done it at one point or another. We might have just been too young to remember and too young for anything else to be expected of us.

I had a great time reading this thread - kind of wanted to contribute, but my poop tales were not about me and had no connection to Alli, so I refrained.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This thread is the most engrossing thing I've read in a long time.
    A few years ago I was considering using Alli, there were adverts for it everywhere at the time and I got completely taken in by it's promises...until a friend of mine who was taking it felt a rumbling in her pipes while out shopping one day and had to run to the nearest public toilet before the inevitable explosion. Her fatty excretions were so oily and thick that the weak flush of the public toilet just couldn't wash them away (especially after piling the masses of toilet roll she's used to clean herself up on top), she kept pressing the flush but the toilet was so clogged up that adding more water to it made the whole thing back up and flood the entire bathroom floor with drain water and fatty poop.
    She ran away in shame and never used Alli again and I was so, so glad that I never got round to trying it.

Making a huge mess of a public toilet is one of my worst fears... I feel bad for your friend. :(
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Well, OP, it certainly does look like we got to the bottom of it all. <nods>

If my Astronomy students had read this thread, it would be covered with "Uranus" jokes/comments...

Is Uranus orange?
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    This thread is the most engrossing thing I've read in a long time.
    A few years ago I was considering using Alli, there were adverts for it everywhere at the time and I got completely taken in by it's promises...until a friend of mine who was taking it felt a rumbling in her pipes while out shopping one day and had to run to the nearest public toilet before the inevitable explosion. Her fatty excretions were so oily and thick that the weak flush of the public toilet just couldn't wash them away (especially after piling the masses of toilet roll she's used to clean herself up on top), she kept pressing the flush but the toilet was so clogged up that adding more water to it made the whole thing back up and flood the entire bathroom floor with drain water and fatty poop.
    She ran away in shame and never used Alli again and I was so, so glad that I never got round to trying it.

Making a huge mess of a public toilet is one of my worst fears... I feel bad for your friend. :(

She was really abusing the whole premise of Alli so I'm not surprised it happened. She was eating Chinese takeaway or chips for dinner every night because her attitude was that she could eat as much fatty food as she wanted and wouldn't absorb any of it...guess that backfired pretty badly. I'd like to say she learned from the experience and used exercise and calorie control to lose weight but she didn't, she just moved on to other fads like herbal diet pills and diet tea.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    She was really abusing the whole premise of Alli so I'm not surprised it happened. She was eating Chinese takeaway or chips for dinner every night because her attitude was that she could eat as much fatty food as she wanted and wouldn't absorb any of it...guess that backfired pretty badly. I'd like to say she learned from the experience and used exercise and calorie control to lose weight but she didn't, she just moved on to other fads like herbal diet pills and diet tea.

Oh no, now I don't feel any better about your friend's situation... :# But at least she's not on Alli anymore.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    i havent used alli before but a good friend of mine has
    she was put in the most embarrasing situation at work. the ones where you wish you took spare clothes to work.
    she hasnt taken it again.

This^

A co-worker warned me off of Alli due to the side effects she experienced.