How did you know???

Options
2»

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    My goal weight was 125 lbs and at 5'5", I thought that was a good goal, especially since that is what I was in college. However, I just slid on past that until I settled around 118-120 lbs. My body decided that was where it wanted to be. Now at a size 4 pants (never wore that size before), I still have this little belly pooch mocking me. My abs are strong underneath that layer of fat and yet it is stubborn. My trainer says I am doing everything right in terms of cardio and weight lifting so the only thing left is diet. My diet is actually good but I do consume more wheat/gluten and sugar than I should. My New Year's resolution will be to try and slowly eliminate the wheat and see how my belly responds.

Eliminating wheat would reduce bloating if you are truly intolerant, but it won't do anything to get rid of belly fat, unless it results in reducing calories along with it.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    So finally I'm very close to my "ideal" weight "132" 40 y/o after losing 45lbs however... A part of me wants to keep going since there is more fat on my abdomen (not loose skin) I know, I know, I lift do cardio etc but is fat, time to rethink my "ideal" ???

I'll let you know when I know. I did similar, dropping my initial goal weight of 190 to 180. And now I've hit 180, and might drop some more. I'm doing some body weight stuff but really at this point more in weight loss mode and trying not to lose much muscle.

But it's hard to pick a number and think "that is where I want to be". I think depending on fitness and overall health goals, the weight itself might be a moving number. But I'm ok with that myself. When I get where I want to be, I'll worry about maintaining in that range for weight/build/how I feel/fitness.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    My goal weight was 125 lbs and at 5'5", I thought that was a good goal, especially since that is what I was in college. However, I just slid on past that until I settled around 118-120 lbs. My body decided that was where it wanted to be. Now at a size 4 pants (never wore that size before), I still have this little belly pooch mocking me. My abs are strong underneath that layer of fat and yet it is stubborn. My trainer says I am doing everything right in terms of cardio and weight lifting so the only thing left is diet. My diet is actually good but I do consume more wheat/gluten and sugar than I should. My New Year's resolution will be to try and slowly eliminate the wheat and see how my belly responds.

Eliminating wheat would reduce bloating if you are truly intolerant, but it won't do anything to get rid of belly fat, unless it results in reducing calories along with it.

Yep. Wheat & gluten calories are no more fattening than any other calorie.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My goal doesn't have a number attached to it. It's whenever I'm satisfied with what I see in the mirror and how I feel. I don't know what/where it is, but I'll know when I get there.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I was wondering because a lot of people get to "their" number and start adding cals to maintain...I'm just not there yet :/ but at the same time don't want to keep chasing a lower # again and again and again
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    There is a danger that continuing past your goal weight just leads to being a smaller version of the body you aren't entirely happy with.

Yes, totally agree.
    I'm 128lbs now (and maintaining nicely), but i have been 119 and didn't look too good. :/
    My bust was non-existant and i my top half just looked scrawny!
    Maybe you need to do a Recomp rather than lose more weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm far from maintenance, but I already have a plan. Regardless of how my body looks at my goal weight, the most important thing to me is to be at a calorie intake I can successfully maintain, so by the time I'm at goal weight I plan to increase my intake gradually from my usual deficit until I'm at a point where I don't feel like I'm missing much if I don't increase any further, after that wherever my weight stops will be my ideal weight, be it a bit of loss or a bit of gain. Preventing weight regain is much more important to me than anything else, but everyone is different, so evaluate what is important to you and work on that.
  • bfanny
    Options
    Recomp is the way to go, once I'm at my goal weight ;)
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When you are close to your goal weight or at your goal weight, you really can experiment with different strategies to lose body fat. I tried intermittent fasting for a while and will give that a go around again. It's hard to sustain and for me, I couldn't do it for more than two days in a row because of the way my metabolism is. I find doing it on alternating days, taking the weekend off from it works best for me. You can also adjust your macros and increase your protein, while decreasing carbs, which helped me until I was riding my bike 100 miles / week and needed more carbs.

traceyfit.blogspot.com
  • bfanny
    Options
    I love my carbs A LOT but what I've been doing these couple weeks is Keto and I really can see a diference on my stubborn fat
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    BikeTourer wrote: »
    Too many people think you can get rid if the belly with diet alone.

You absolutely can.
    To get buff it requires exercise

Growing muscle requires weight training, that's true. But getting "buff" has nothing to do with losing a belly.

Obviously you haven't noticed the sheer number of people on this sight that set goals that are below healthy weight all because of perceived fat, especially at this area. You have to wonder ut someone so focused on one spot has reasonable expectations....
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Too many people think you can get rid if the belly with diet alone.

You absolutely can.
    To get buff it requires exercise

Growing muscle requires weight training, that's true. But getting "buff" has nothing to do with losing a belly.

Obviously you haven't noticed the sheer number of people on this sight that set goals that are below healthy weight all because of perceived fat, especially at this area. You have to wonder ut someone so focused on one spot has reasonable expectations....

I consulted my 21 year old daughter and apparently I'm too old to be "buff" whatever I do - but I can aspire to "hench".

Confused! :neutral:
    But parents aren't really supposed to understand their children......
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hench *snigger*
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Mention the word 'synonym' to beloved daughter ;)
  • bfanny
    Options

Obviously you haven't noticed the sheer number of people on this sight that set goals that are below healthy weight all because of perceived fat, especially at this area. You have to wonder ut someone so focused on one spot has reasonable expectations....[/quote]

I'm sorry did I miss something?

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options

I'm sorry did I miss something?

[/quote]

lots of people on here who probably shouldn't be. very unhealthy weight expectations. you probably are not one of them. for me I go by how i look in the mirror and body fat measurement, not by how the world judges me. and yes my caps lock key isn't working :/
  • bfanny
    Options
    Wrong thread...I think :/
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Always reevaluate! !
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs A LOT but what I've been doing these couple weeks is Keto and I really can see a diference on my stubborn fat

Very good Danielson. You are with the force now.... ;)