What do you think is the hardest part about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    How easy it is to gain weight. I lost 11 pounds earlier this year and was very pleased. I maintained my loss through the summer, but since September the weight has crept back on. Now I'm back to the beginning and feel like I'm starting over.

It's a constant battle gaining and losing the same 10 pounds.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Finding time and energy to work out.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    The only thing remotely hard for me is being polite when offered unsolicited advice. People notice I've lost weight...ask how I'm doing it....dismiss cico as rubbish....and tell me I should give up all white foods/carbs instead and that it's the only way to lose weight. ::::sigh::::

If I'm particularly annoyed, I invite them to join me for coffee and donuts to discuss it further >:). Donuts fit in mine. They don't fit theirs :D
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    How easy it is to go back to bad habits and loose control, that is really my main struggle
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    This time, I'm not really finding it all that hard. I made changes like pre-planning my daily meals the night before, which is a habit I intend to continue for a lifetime.

What I found hardest on my failed attempts was mainly keeping encouraged - I started this time (and every other time) as someone morbidly obese, so I can make a lot of progress and still be very obese. It can be hard to reconcile the pride in the progress I've made with the fact I still have a long way to go.

I think some of that is what you mentioned, OP - I realized I don't have to be perfect. One bad day isn't a huge problem. I don't have to be perfect, I don't even have to be good - I need to be adequate. The really funny part is that when I came to that level of acceptance, I've actually gotten a lot better at meeting my calorie goals than I was before when I had so much more invested in always being under my goal.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I dislike this thread. Guys, we don't need to be focusing on what is hard.

Everything that is worthwhile in live takes work. Overcoming the things that are difficult about weightloss and lifestyle change requires positivity, endurance, strength, patience and self love to name but a few. Each of us has exhibited these things and more.

Yes there are aspects that we don't enjoy or find easy but we work past them & that is a much healthier focus.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    I just want to say I dislike this thread. Guys, we don't need to be focusing on what is hard.

Nah, it's a great thread. Most people who lose weight regain it. We need to go into this armed with knowledge and not be blindsided; know we're not alone in how we're feeling. Honestly I've been reading these forums for years now and still can't relate to people who say losing and maintaining weight is easy breezy. It's not my truth, and it's not my reality. So posts like this help
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Watching your family enjoy foods that you're not eating.

Family members not voicing their support. I know they support me and are proud of my weight loss, but they don't really show it, maybe because they don't want to look at their own poor-ish diets and overeating. After using a food scale for over a year, my mom still says, "Don't you know what a serving of ______ is by now? You should know; you've done it enough times." She's yelled at me and gets so mad over it. My dad still gets his little digs in: "You're weighing that?"/"So, you're weighing again, huh?" (Yes, Dad. Eeeeeevery day. For over a year.) He even asked me, "Are you gonna weigh your turkey on Thanksgiving?" (I said "no" and I didn't.)

Just STFU already!!!!!!!!! I'm 5 feet tall; I don't require as many calories as they do (mom's 5'8"; dad's 6 feet). I can overeat very easily if I don't track everything accurately. It's what works for me and I don't mind it; I like it. I welcome the structure. I don't obsess about it, it's just a part of my life now. But they keep making such a big deal about it. They're not the ones doing it, but they care soooooooo much, apparently.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Everything that is worthwhile in live takes work. Overcoming the things that are difficult about weightloss and lifestyle change requires positivity, endurance, strength, patience and self love to name but a few. Each of us has exhibited these things and more.

Yes there are aspects that we don't enjoy or find easy but we work past them & that is a much healthier focus.

Actually it's good to share when things are difficult so you know you're not alone. Maybe someone has a solution to something you're struggling with (and this goes for anything, not just weight loss).

If you found something hard at work would you ask for help with it, or pretend all was fine and struggle?

I'm a teacher and find it useful to go on teaching forums to know others have the same difficulties. I'm also a mum of three young kids and find parenting forums helpful (on occasion lol).
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    How difficult it is for me to NOT eat whatever I want just because I feel like it at the moment..
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That it is entirely possible to throw an entire week's progress with just one day but is near impossible to fix a week of overeating in one day.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Really slow progress. I start to question my effort. Is it something I can control or not?

I will second this. Slow progress. Seeing no end in sight.
    peter56765 wrote: »
    The non-linearity of weight loss and plateaus. It's very demotivating to be so disciplined for weeks and then not see the scale budge, or worse, go up.

I feel the same. The scale went up this week. Just a little, but it is so discouraging. I start to question of its even worth it.

Yup, that's how I'm feeling today. I will persist, of course, but feeling crappy about it.

• Mark_76
    Mark_76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Keeping it off. I read a quote once that said,"diets come to an end so weight generally returns, it needs to be a lifestyle change. Forget the old you and enjoy the new you".....along those lines anyway. It's true!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Reminding myself that it is a head game. When my head is with me, I can keep the focus.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Options
    Self control - my default mode is binge!

Social situations are tough for me too. Most of my friends are foodies and enjoy a tipple. I find that as I'm generally drinking less, my alcohol tolerance is pretty pitiful and even if i don't go overboard I feel wiped the next day and tend to overeat or make bad food choices to try and compensate for lack of energy.
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That it's a life sentence. I've been losing and gaining the same 35 lbs for 10 years. I succeed, I plateau, I lose faith and fall back to bad habits. Repeat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That it is entirely possible to throw an entire week's progress with just one day but is near impossible to fix a week of overeating in one day.

Yep.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Printing this to put on my fridge! Thank you.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Saying 'no' to myself to so many things that I would ordinarily eat and then overeat and staying in a caloric deficit.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Admitting what is hard is usually the first step towards dealing with it. I agree that wallowing in self pity is counterproductive, but talking about challenges and how we face them is good. I don't see people doing any wallowing here.