Lets talk about walking and steps per day

Hi, I just got myself a pedometer! It is just a $10 with some extra features etc. Unfortunately, that is all I can afford. I know everyone says to go out and get a fitbit or whatever but I can't see myself splurging on that when I have a limited budget and there are things we actually need. That being said I did a couple days walking normal to see where I was at with my daily walking, work, etc. I ended up between 3-4000 each time. Not very active but that is the reason I got the pedometer. How many steps does everyone reach in a day? How do you do it? Thanks all and heres to another wonderful day logging!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am sedentary with a desk job so my day is much like yours....except the days I run.

When I was giving myself walking goals I added ten percent to my previous average. At the end of a month I was walking a lot more.

The answer for you is what your own body is telling you. In other words your first target will be a consistent 4,000 daily, and your next target may be 4,400 steps. And so on.

An "ideal" of 10,000 steps is bandied about but when I checked it out that number was pulled out of the air by a Japanese marketing firm in the sixties.

http://m.livescience.com/43956-walking-10000-steps-healthy.html
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    If I don't walk/run, I only average appx the same. So with that being said, now I park far away, use stairs, and TRY to make it to the gym :) I'm in the northeast, so winter is here and it's dark very early ~ so once Spring/Summer is back, I'll get more steps in!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2015
    I aim for a minimum of 12,500 steps a day with a minimum of at least 30 minutes of those steps done at a level my Fitbit deems "active." In other words, at least a somewhat brisk pace that gets the heart working a bit harder than normal.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I usually get over 10k steps a day and that's with a "sit on my butt all day" job. I get about 3-4k running 30 minutes in the morning and the rest of my steps come from work, commuting to & from work on public transportation.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I have a sedentary office job but get around 20,000 steps per day because I walk to and from work (about 1.5 miles each way), go to the gym x2/weekly before work and x2/weekly at lunch, use my other lunch breaks to walk when I can, take the long way/a walk around my floor every time I need to go anywhere in my office, and I volunteer for anything that'll get me moving, like getting the mail or going on the coffee run.

I also try my best to walk whenever I need to pick up a few groceries or run a short errand in the evenings. I try not to drive for anything less than a couple miles away if I can avoid it. I live and work in a downtown core, which makes this possible, so I know it's not feasible for everyone, but I like walking and like supporting my neighbourbood businesses and stuff when I can.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Generally I get over 10,000 steps per day. Some days more depending on how busy I am at work. My job can be anything from sitting at my desk all day to not sitting down once. But I walk 2km to catch my train to work and almost always walk the same 2km back home (not always though).
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    oh wow..lots of walking!!!! I live up north, so it is dark, chilly, and the ice is usually horrendous for months. There will be no walking outside or around blocks. I do work in a big building so hoping I can slowly increase my steps to 10k by spring by walking my building, taking stairs(not up..not ready for that yet lol, there are 12 flights), and maybe doing a lap or two around the office. people will think i am wierd but whatever. Thank god there are others as low as me. I thought I was the only one!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi, I just got myself a pedometer! It is just a $10 with some extra features etc. Unfortunately, that is all I can afford. I know everyone says to go out and get a fitbit or whatever but I can't see myself splurging on that when I have a limited budget and there are things we actually need. That being said I did a couple days walking normal to see where I was at with my daily walking, work, etc. I ended up between 3-4000 each time. Not very active but that is the reason I got the pedometer. How many steps does everyone reach in a day? How do you do it? Thanks all and heres to another wonderful day logging!

That's the good thing about a FitBit / Pedometer, it makes you more aware. I always assumed I was more active than average (not!).

I don't think most people that get to 10,000 steps regularly, got there overnight. Aim for 5,000, then aim for 7,500. Keep upping your game and you will get there.

I like to use my lunch hour (at work) for a walk. There's snow here, so I do an "indoor" walk. I can drive to Menard's a few blocks away (wide open spaces) or I can pop in a walking DVD (Leslie Sansone) and close my office door. Whatever gets it done.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    I don't think the cost or the bells and whistles really matter if you put your mind to working with what you have. I started like you, just noting how many steps I was getting doing normal activity. I also started adding more steps while doing daily things like making more trips to the laundry or going for that one item you forgot on the other side of the grocery store, etc. . I remember a friend saying soon you'll be walking to work - NEVER! was my reply at that time. Now I have discovered I would rather walk than take public transportation and I try and walk to and/or from work (3+ miles) several times a week - I even stopped buying a monthly bus pass.

Give it some time, it will happen if you let it. Try and do some walking in your area just because, I know the cold and dark can be a turn off, I have to keep reminding myself that it is not late, just dark when walking home and the cold becomes a memory after the first mile or so.

Also, initially I would put my pedometer on when I was ready to leave the house, when I started putting it on first thing in the morning it really made a difference (now I have a Fitbit).

My daily goal is 6 miles or 13K steps and on a good day I reach that by 10:00 am.

Best wishes!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I get 15000 - 20000 steps a day. I'm a dance teacher so it's understandable.
  • 60muffin
    60muffin Posts: 28 Member
    I live in the North East too in a small village with little lighting. I've got a decent breathable waterproof jacket and shoes, plus a good lightweight torch so I have no excuses for getting out there. That's not to say I don't make them ;-)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

An "ideal" of 10,000 steps is bandied about but when I checked it out that number was pulled out of the air by a Japanese marketing firm in the sixties.

http://m.livescience.com/43956-walking-10000-steps-healthy.html

Oh man! lol I didn't know that, Thanks!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I average 12-4k each day without intentional exercise. If I go for a run, I average 15-20k depending on how far I run.

I'm a stay at home mom with 4 young kids.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    I walk for 2 to 3 hours a day. I love the winter months most.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    oh wow..lots of walking!!!! I live up north, so it is dark, chilly, and the ice is usually horrendous for months. There will be no walking outside or around blocks. I do work in a big building so hoping I can slowly increase my steps to 10k by spring by walking my building, taking stairs(not up..not ready for that yet lol, there are 12 flights), and maybe doing a lap or two around the office. people will think i am wierd but whatever. Thank god there are others as low as me. I thought I was the only one!

So far today I've gotten in 11,764 steps. I haven't left my house (it's been raining) other than to take the trash cans from the curb around to the back yard. I have done many laps around my downstairs, ten minutes at a time.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member
    I have no idea how many steps I take in a day. It is not something I track. I figure all those steps I take to get coffee or use the toilet or tidy the house are just part of my normal sedentary day.

However, I do track exercise distance, and so far in 2015, I have walked 1017 kilometres. :)
  • FaithIt365
    FaithIt365 Posts: 356 Member
    My average step count before I started logging was around 6k on weekdays and around 3k on weekends. Now that I am tracking and logging I purposely work toward 10k each day. I work in an office at a computer all day so to get my steps in I do what I call "double-takes." Whenever I leave my office for any reason, I go twice. Ex. leave my office, walk to the restroom, relieve myself, walk back to my office door, turn back around and walk to the restroom door, then walk back to my office. I also walk up and down the stairs at home and at work, dance and occasionally use my treadmill for more than decoration.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Always more than 10k a day. You get more calories to eat the more you're active!!!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    I try to get 100000 steps a week. About half come from my job as a school sub in special ed; the other half come from fitness walking & hiking. I use my phone as my pedometer so I don't pick up many walking around the house steps.
    I find walking very satisfying, but it is not my only mode of exercise. I do yoga 4-5 times a week, and I take two dance classes with HIIT intervals. I do body weight lifting as well. But the walking is very addicting... I love how versatile it is, and I appreciate that it doesn't require a complete change of outfit. It's very useful as 'active rest,' too, which is important for both mind & body.
    And yes... The calories!! Doh!! The more you can walk, the more you can eat!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I started paying attention to my health and weight in April 2015, when I was doing about 5,000 steps a day.

This is my progress since then.

DFC40D4F-E187-4F86-BB6F-6BE9A3E47C33_zpshd7as9y8.png

I've also lost 25 kg.

I started running in September, and can now run over 4 km without stopping.

Who knows? This could be you in 8 months time.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Yay. congrats everyone for doing an awesome job. Kudos to everyone. I made a goal yesterday reach 5k steps and I totally did it! Then I went and jumped on the elliptical this morning too...what is happening to me!?! haha hopefully I will be like all of you one day, getting in that 10k easily. I do have one question though, if I walk more do I get to increase what my activity level is? Like now I am at sedentary but if I increase my steps to say 6 or 7k would I be able to move that up to lightly active?
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    It really depends on how busy I am at work. On a good day I will get around 10, 000 but some days it can be a sad 3, 000! I try to walk more and take the long way around the shop, store and even at home! Being aware of how mich you move makes a big difference!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    I used to average around 5,000 with a sedentary lifestyle plus ~60 minutes a week of cardio and strength training. A couple months ago I increased my activity level substantially by walking around my house a lot more, and I now average around 10-11,000 steps a day. According to my Fitbit I'm averaging around 60-75 minutes a day of at least moderate exercise. I got a Fitbit because I wanted to also see a better estimate of my daily calorie burn, and also wanted to do sleep tracking.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    I seem to average about 12000. You can start with the 4000, and aim to make that your minimum. See if you can up it gradually. Just think of any extra steps as bonus calories.
    10,000 seems like a nice number, and I assume there was no practical reason to choose it except it is considered a decent daily output without being unreachable.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I do 15-18 k a day on days I work. I run robotic router and it takes seven and a half minutes to do a run. I can't leave it while it's doing its thing so I pace around the area. I manage to get a couple hundred steps in before it finishes. It really adds up over a 10 hour work day. My day off however. . I too live in the dreaded cold dark northeast and really miss my walks outside.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Im "lucky" that I don't have to work and do a lot of grad school online so if I do an average day I will get like 2k.. which is not ok. I force myself to get a minimum of 10k a day. I take my dogs out and then will go outside myself. I have a pretty low BMR at 1340 (scooby) with doing nothing all day I burn about 1550 a day. Eating 1200 cal would be like .75 a pound a week. I mostly get my 10k+ steps so i can eat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    When I first got my fitbit last March I was averaging around the same steps as you everyday OP. Now I get a minimum of 20,000 and usually hover around 25,000.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,868 Member
    I work out daily but only get about 4000 steps a day. I park farther from the store since I got my Fitbit. I do weight workouts but have an injured foot ("turf toe") so I had to cut way back on cardio.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    It is really easy to increase your steps by thousands a day while you do "daily" stuff.

When you cook...dance a bit. Put on some music and make it a fun task. Dishes?..... dont put them in the dishwasher but wash up after dinner/lunch breakfast whatever...a 10 minutes task while you dance/move...stand up a bit earlier and step/march on some youtube videos for 10 minutes.

Watching tv in the evening?..... chose one of your favorite programs or a 20 to 30 minute program and step while you are watching it.
    When you are on the phone walk up and down.
    Shopping?...park your car further away.

And dark outside?...well when you are shopping take your time and walk all the isles. A supermarket is a great place to get some steps in.

If you do all these kind of things or some of them you will increase your steps, and for not much time at all.

Another good one is park farther away from your work or get out of the bus one stop earlier. Same way back home.

And so on....be creative ;)

95069916.png
  • OblasMummy
    OblasMummy Posts: 40 Member
    If I don't walk/run, I only average appx the same. So with that being said, now I park far away, use stairs, and TRY to make it to the gym :) I'm in the northeast, so winter is here and it's dark very early ~ so once Spring/Summer is back, I'll get more steps in!