December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• pattycake44
    pattycake44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Only up to 8 miles. Looks like I have a lot of work to do this weekend!

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    12/04- 2.6 miles

Can someone tell me why runners hate treadmills so much? I'm new to this and it is my only option. We only have one car so when my husband drives to work, I would have no way to get myself and my kids to the safe areas in town (we live on a country road that everyone speeds down with no regard to safety). Plus no jogging stroller. So when my youngest is down forhis nap, I can jump ont the treadmill while my oldest does her own activities. The treadmill doesn't bother me really. Is there something bad about it that I am not aware of though?

I did almost all my running on a treadmill the first 3-4 months; it was much easier to control for all the factors I wanted to adjust and weather didn't matter. I still run on the treadmill at least two days a week because I'm already in the gym for strength training. An added bonus is that they play movies in a little cinema room, and a good movie can make even a long run fly by. That said, it is just *harder* to run outside, imo. Maintaining my speed, adjusting to varied terrain, even different weather, all make for a more challenging, and yes, interesting, run.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As a side note, I think I spend too much money in my local Fleet Feet. I got a personally written thank you card in the mail from them the other day. :smiley:

@skippygirlsmom Nice Touch hope I get a card in the mail. I was at Walk-Run and More today (my only Semi-local Running Speciality Store) looking for one pair of Winter Specific Trail shoes with deeper treads for the winter conditions on the Snow Covered dirt-gravel bush trails. All of the Great Tread patterns were on shoes that were too narrow - curse you Salomon: :'( . The Store's Front Windows were right full of last years models with that dreaded sign 50 - 75% off; the >:) in me appeared. Since one of my shoes is getting close to 400 Km I walked to the front window. Left with 1 Saucony, 2 Mizunos, 2 Smart Wool High Calf Socks, Headband and Convertible Mitt-Gloves + an entry to the Chilly Willy HM $185.00.
    nlud38l5g0fj.jpg

Actually did pretty darn good $ wise. Of course I had to borrow the changing room in the shoe store to throw my Gear on and the New Green Mizuno's to go for a short 5 km test run through Muskoseepi park.

@karllundy Thanks for the meme's. My ribs hurt from Howling.
    3 more pages of posts to read.

12/01 - 0.0 Km – 0.0km – 140.0 Km – – YTD – 514.4 km
    12/02 – 7.0 Km – 7.0km – 133.0 Km – – YTD – 7.0 + 514.4 = 521.4Km
    12/04 – 5.0 Km – 12.0km – 128.0 Km – – YTD – 5.0 + 521.4 = 526.4Km
    exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Date…Km’s….Total
    01/12 – 05.75 – 05.75
    02/12 – 02.34 – 08.09 run : 8’37 pace
    03/12 – 04.37 – 12.46
    04/12 – 03.05 – 15.51
    05/12 – 04.08 – 19.59

Goal – 100km

Plan on going back through and catching up later.. About to head out to a Christmas party! :smiley:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @candacefausset Why do Runners hate Treadmills? Oh the list is so big and so varied. Ultimately if the treadmill works for you then congratulations and good on you.
    I have a hard time getting up to my average run speed on a treadmill. That is I can run outside at a 10 km/h pace for 3 hours (a little over 6 mph) on the bush trails. On a treadmill I have a hard time getting more than 8-8.5 km/h ( 5mph ) and can only manage 30 minutes. I think its because of the varied terrain which requires me to concentrate more than on a treadmill that allows me to run longer distances outside and makes it enjoyable so time flies. One of the big things for me is the friendship and social interaction with my fellow runners, which is hard to do on a treadmill.
    yq1licliwd7t.jpg
    Early November at about 9:30 am with about 1/3 of our normal Sunday group, 6 km North of town on what is called the Sleepy Hollow North Trail with 1 more km to go before we make the turn for home.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A friend posted this on Facebook. It's supposed to find your beloved running shoe at the cheapest price. So I put in my Brooks Glycerin 12s, that my local running store no longer carries, along with my size. The site did manage to find me a pair at 2 different stores. As a side note, I think I spend too much money in my local Fleet Feet. I got a personally written thank you card in the mail from them the other day. :smiley:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/new-website-finds-cheapest-running-shoes-on-the-web-irking-some-running-stores?cid=soc_Runner's World - RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s World__RunningShoes

@skippygirlsmom - Just wish we had a Fleet Feet or any other local running store, that I could be overspending in :) Also Skip cracks me up!
    @karllundy - love the Four Legged Finess tracker. The pup even resembles Hobbes the Vizsla!
    @lporter229 and @jkowalsk23 - I had the pleasure of running in the snow in Maryland when I was first starting to run regularly - it was awesome!
    @HonuNui - Love the Candy Cane shrimp! It is so festive!! I have a hat (in my profile pic) that says will run for wine! I do love my wine but beer is so much better after a long run!
    @Virkati - your picture looks like where I grew up in Idaho! Making me homesick!
    @ddmom0811 - have a great time at the wedding!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - ummm glad you were able to run but hope you let that toe heal! Love the decorations lighting up your dark run!
    @juliet3455 - great picture and wow what a great deal on running gear!

Rest day for me today!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Dec 1: Advent begins. Light mist but warm (low 50s), still a little bit of hip twinge, nice and slow this morning, 4.44 miles.
    Dec 2: Hound of the Baskervilles fog this morning, no demon dogs spotted. 2.35 miles
    Dec 3: Rest day, however, intended to walk..and it didn’t happen 
    Dec 4: Chilly tonight but not unbearable. 2.5 miles

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    duplicate post!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've already achieved my December goal - I ran 5 km without stopping today!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10294395/i-did-it-i-ran-5km#latest

So happy!
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    3 miles done yesterday - my first time ever running 3 miles consecutively! Very proud of myself for finishing and now have a goal to focus on.

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

Dec 1 - 2.64
    Dec 2 - 5K
    Dec 3 - 1.4 streak
    Dec 4 - 5.16 miles
    Dec 5 - 4.16 miles - Savannah! Wish I had more time because this was the best run ever. Tomorrow morning I am going to do a long run! So nice here! Son's wedding today! I promise myself I am NOT going to discuss my run with anyone today, lol. Hubby already had to hear about it.

exercise.png
  • Leroyoliver
    Leroyoliver Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Week 1 - 3.5 miles
  • jkowalsk23
    jkowalsk23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    3 miles done yesterday - my first time ever running 3 miles consecutively! Very proud of myself for finishing and now have a goal to focus on.

exercise.png

Congrats, Summerdaze! That's an amazing accomplishment!
  • jkowalsk23
    jkowalsk23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

exercise.png

2 miles, 20:34. Feeling really motivated by having a mileage goal, but held back from doing another 3 mile run today--I haven't run regularly since last spring and don't want to burn out or hurt something building mileage too fast. It was hard--really wanted to get that ticker below 20 miles! :-) Instead I focused on trying to keep my arms from swinging across my midline.

Curious to know if any other runners here use a Misfit tracker. I switched a few months ago from a fitbit and am surprised at how many calories MFP is assigning the activity Misfit tracks. Any thoughts?
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    In the last few years I have torn the meniscus in both knees (different times to different degrees). My right knee, the meniscus was torn at the posterior root. Took a long time to "heal". Since then, I've lost 42 pounds, exercise to the point that my people believe I have an addiction to the endorphins (they're right!), but I still have issues with the right knee. I have an appointment for Wednesday to have it aspirated due to the fluid build up. I will probably receive a cortisone shot that day too.

Question for the veteran runners that have had knee issues...I am planning to run a Santa Stampede 5k next Saturday. But it's only a couple of days after having one or more needles poked into my knee. If the cortisone shot is placed correctly, my knee pain will diminish significantly almost immediately. But I don't remember how it felt when it was aspirated the first (and only time). I remember feeling relief from the pressure, but I don't remember if it hurt after that. All that to say/ask...would running the 5k be foolhardy?
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Dec 01      4.3      4.3
    Dec 05      8.1     12.4

exercise.png

@summerdaze Way to go!
    @pattycake44 I know what you mean ... I got off to a slow start this month too, nobody's fault but mine! I find that this group helps me get back on plan.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    12/1....................6.00....................6.00
    12/2....................5.00..................11.00
    12/3....................6.25..................17.25
    12/4...................REST.................17.25
    12/5....................14.00................31.25

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:

5/14/16: Glacier Ridge Ultra, 50k (Portersville, PA)
    10/1/16: Cloudsplitter 100, 100k (Pine Mountain, KY)

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I've already achieved my December goal - I ran 5 km without stopping today!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10294395/i-did-it-i-ran-5km#latest

So happy!

exercise.png

Yay! Congrats to both of you! :smiley:big-party-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    In the last few years I have torn the meniscus in both knees (different times to different degrees). My right knee, the meniscus was torn at the posterior root. Took a long time to "heal". Since then, I've lost 42 pounds, exercise to the point that my people believe I have an addiction to the endorphins (they're right!), but I still have issues with the right knee. I have an appointment for Wednesday to have it aspirated due to the fluid build up. I will probably receive a cortisone shot that day too.

Question for the veteran runners that have had knee issues...I am planning to run a Santa Stampede 5k next Saturday. But it's only a couple of days after having one or more needles poked into my knee. If the cortisone shot is placed correctly, my knee pain will diminish significantly almost immediately. But I don't remember how it felt when it was aspirated the first (and only time). I remember feeling relief from the pressure, but I don't remember if it hurt after that. All that to say/ask...would running the 5k be foolhardy?

I don't have knee issues. But do know that after a steroid shot in the knee most docs restrict the use for a week or so. The theory is to keep the steroid in place for as long as possible to maximize its efficacy, using the knee works the meds out.

Ultimately, You should see how your doc feels about it. Perhaps reschedule it after the 5k. Good luck, I know knee pain is rough.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    12/1 3.5 @ 11:17 on the treadmill plus strength training
    12/2 5.25 @ 11:04 on the treadmill. Oh my heck, please let it be sunny tomorrow. Or at least not so wet.
    12/3 4.75 @ 12:03 on the park trail with the doggy. Yay! Sunshine!
    12/4 3.5 @ 11:03 (really 3.25 at 10:48, plus .25 at a walk) on the treadmill, plus strength training
    12/5 3 miles hiking with the cub scouts :)

exercise.png