Options

Replies

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/12 2k
    3/12 1k
    5/12 7k

Slow and much more walking happening than I would like but kept going until 7km thanks to this challenge.

exercise.png
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    14apns1pczfo.png
    u69w5a5o31xm.jpeg
    kwbywx3ryiyf.jpeg
    1yudxysuh2fe.jpeg
    I finished my first half marathon this morning 2:22:41. My goal was 2:30. I want a donut so bad right now.

Thanks @Stoshew71! If it wasn't for the supportive people in this group, wouldn't have thought it was possible.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    In the last few years I have torn the meniscus in both knees (different times to different degrees). My right knee, the meniscus was torn at the posterior root. Took a long time to "heal". Since then, I've lost 42 pounds, exercise to the point that my people believe I have an addiction to the endorphins (they're right!), but I still have issues with the right knee. I have an appointment for Wednesday to have it aspirated due to the fluid build up. I will probably receive a cortisone shot that day too.

Question for the veteran runners that have had knee issues...I am planning to run a Santa Stampede 5k next Saturday. But it's only a couple of days after having one or more needles poked into my knee. If the cortisone shot is placed correctly, my knee pain will diminish significantly almost immediately. But I don't remember how it felt when it was aspirated the first (and only time). I remember feeling relief from the pressure, but I don't remember if it hurt after that. All that to say/ask...would running the 5k be foolhardy?

I have no experience with knee problems, but have quite a bit of experience with foot and ankle issues. With that disclaimer:

Just because you can run 5K safely after an injury doesn't mean it's OK to *RACE* a 5K. If you're prepared to treat the 5K as a training run, and back off to the extent called for by your knee, well and good. If the race environment is likely to tempt you into running faster than you should, cancel the race.

I canceled a 5K earlier this year because I was recovering from an ankle sprain. I was easily able to run the distance, but the whole point of the race was to run fast. And running fast would have set back my healing. It could have put me on the couch for an extended period. I didn't want to take that chance. I kept a 10 mile race a few weeks later, and more or less successfully treated that one as a training run; i.e. I ran the first 7 miles at my easy pace before the race tempted me into going faster. And I got away with going faster, probably because I didn't go any faster than MP before the last half mile.

My experience does not address whether you can run at all. It would apply if you are in a position where you can run, but need to limit how hard you run. In that case, a race environment can be detrimental to continued healing. Be honest with yourself about how much self-discipline you have, and decide accordingly.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    December Running Totals (miles)
    12/1- 6.58 (warmup, speed work, cool down)
    12/2- extra rest day :(
    12/3- 6.40 easy
    12/4- 8.12 easy
    12/5-15.00 long slow run

Total- 36.10
    Goal- none stated

Today's notes: The assignment for today was to pace 15 miles at a target pace of 8:30 per mile. It turned out that the only people in the 8:30 pace group were myself and a buddy who is also pointing at Boston 2016. We didn't hold firm to pacing discipline. The 15 miles came in at an average 8:03 pace by my watch, 7:59 by his. But I'm pretty sure both of us can handle that. It's close to what the Jack Daniels calculator says my E pace should be, and not that much faster than his.

The sore hamstring that has disrupted my thinking this week is better today than it was yesterday. If this trend continues, I might allow myself to do speed work on Tuesday. Gentle speed work. I don't want an aggressive workout aimed at a 5K, even if I am running a 5K on December 19.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @tdbernrd - Way to go! That first half marathon is special, and extra special if you had a time goal and beat it.
  • kelasar
    kelasar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new and I'm up for the December challenge. My running goal is small compared to a lot of you seasoned runners, but I would like to run 12 miles this month.
    I plan to achieve this goal by running on a treadmill and running at the park.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @tdbernrd - Way to go! That first half marathon is special, and extra special if you had a time goal and beat it.

Thank you! I'm glad your hamstring is cooperating. I wish you a speedy recovery. Your pace is amazing. I'm in awe. <3

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270
    @MobyCarp
    I really appreciate the feedback. I've decided I'd rather play it safe so I'm going to volunteer at the race instead of run it. The whole point of this race was to be able to get a 5k race time so I have a better idea about pacing for training etc. But Moby, you make a GREAT point...I'm very competitive. I would absolutely be the one totally sidelined just because I couldn't reign myself in on a day that I could beat someone!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

12/2 - 3 miles at 4:15am, I am tired but glad I got out as it is supposed to be a rain/snow mix tomorrow. Good start to the month. :)

12/5. - 3 miles. Getting faster but still working on cutting out the walk breaks.

6 down 19 to go

• candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    12/04- 2.6 miles
    12/05- 1.7 miles

I feel like a doofus because I can't figure out how to edit my initial mileage post to add todays mileage , from the app on my android. I don't want to clog the forum so I will research it later and try to figure it out before my next run. Sorry.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    tdbernrd wrote: »
    I finished my first half marathon this morning 2:22:41. My goal was 2:30. I want a donut so bad right now.

Thanks @Stoshew71! If it wasn't for the supportive people in this group, wouldn't have thought it was possible.

Way to go @tdbernrd Nice finish.

• Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Called the clinic as I just had to know... They have got all of the cancer! :) big celebrations with my family tonight. My grandfather has been watching over me x thank you so much everyone!! Only 1 life.. Please be careful x

Yay!!
  • Stoshew71
    edited December 2015
    Options
    11/23 7 miles - 158.9 << Week1 of RCM Taper
    11/24 8.1 miles - 167
    11/25 5 miles - 172 << Recovery Run
    11/26 8 miles - 180
    11/27 5 miles - 185 << Recovery Run
    11/28 17 miles - 202 << Long Run - end of Week1 Taper
    11/29 REST DAY
    11/30 6.1 miles - 208.1<< Week2 of RCM Taper

12/1 5.5 miles - 5.5
    12/2 4.1 miles - 9.6
    12/3 5.5 miles - 15.1
    12/4 4.1 miles - 19.2
    12/5 12 miles - 31.2

exercise.png

Last Long Run today before Rocket City marathon next Saturday.
    Ran with my WRH Saturday Morning Bridgestreet Runners group.

b2lncrz31dm9.jpg

• Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have had a rough time getting back to running after Thanksgiving and then a 3 day trip to the beach. But finally completed Day 1 of week 8 on C25k.

12-5-15 / 3.25 of 35
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 30 miles. I like to set a very attainable goal and then feel like a hero when I crush it early.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've got a question for the group - hopefully somebody can help me out.

I started running with the monthly group last fall. I picked up the C25K last August. Ran my first 5k in September. Got addicted. I kept upping my mileage to the point I was running 18-20 miles a week I ran my first HM in April. I cut down my mileage during the heat of the summer, but still ran steadily. I ran another HM in mid-October.

I didn't run the week after the race. I went out for an 'easy' 5 mile run the next weekend. I was completely out of gas about 2.5 miles into it. I chalked it up as just a 'bad run'. I went out a few days later..same thing.

I've had the same thing happen every run for 6 weeks now. I used to be able to roll out of bed and knock out an easy 45-50 minutes of running. Now I'm laboring after 10 minutes.

I've tried slowly my training pace. Changing shoes (always mojo in the shoes). Mixing up the route....but it hasn't gotten any better.

I'm at my wit's end. I really enjoyed running (especially the extra calories it gave me to burn) - but it feels like my endurance is totally gone and not coming back.

I haven't been sick. No health issues. I have no idea what's going on....

Any ideas?!?!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @gabbo34 I go in swings where every run is hard. I usually just have to run without expectations and let it pass. Maybe a cut back week would help you recover (if its an issue of recovery). It is possible that you are going to have to rebuild your endurance after the cut back. I bet @Stoshew71 has some insight. Good luck.

November-Holiday Streak
    26-5.90 Race 10K -my oversight, thought it was sanctioned.
    27- 1.02 TM
    28-5.60
    29-1.02 TM
    30-3.47

1-6.03
    2-1.02 TM
    3-10.01
    4-4.15 long walk per HM training plan
    5-7.23

28.44/90+

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »

I started running with the monthly group last fall. I picked up the C25K last August. Ran my first 5k in September. Got addicted. I kept upping my mileage to the point I was running 18-20 miles a week I ran my first HM in April. I cut down my mileage during the heat of the summer, but still ran steadily. I ran another HM in mid-October.

I didn't run the week after the race. I went out for an 'easy' 5 mile run the next weekend. I was completely out of gas about 2.5 miles into it. I chalked it up as just a 'bad run'. I went out a few days later..same thing.

I've had the same thing happen every run for 6 weeks now. I used to be able to roll out of bed and knock out an easy 45-50 minutes of running. Now I'm laboring after 10 minutes.

I've tried slowly my training pace. Changing shoes (always mojo in the shoes). Mixing up the route....but it hasn't gotten any better.

I'm at my wit's end. I really enjoyed running (especially the extra calories it gave me to burn) - but it feels like my endurance is totally gone and not coming back.

Any ideas?!?!
    Sometimes after you take a short break from a hard race, you have to work your aerobic base back up again.
    How many days a week and mileage are you running these days?

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    gabbo34 wrote: »

Any ideas?!?!
    Sometimes after you take a short break from a hard race, you have to work your aerobic base back up again.
    How many days a week and mileage are you running these days?

I was trying to ease back into the early part of the training program I used before. I usually run three or four miles 2-3 weekdays and somewhere between 5-8 on the weekend. But I'm having trouble even running three 3-mile runs a week without walking.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ - ummm glad you were able to run but hope you let that toe heal! Love the decorations lighting up your dark run!
    Don't worry, I don't see how running would harm the toe. The doctor told me after the first day of resting & cooling, walking would be fine, because increased blood circulation would speed up healing.
    He said that I wouldn't be able to run, because there would be too much pain when the foot hits the ground and the shoe puts pressure on the toe. I figure when I find a way to run that doesn't hurt, all is well. Though I will be careful and have a few rest days between runs, just in case...

@candacefausset Not sure about the android app, since I ususally use the web version. But in general I believe you can only edit messages on the forum for 60 minutes after posting. But I don't think anyone here will
    consider it "clogging up the forum" if you post in here after each run, that & the chatting going on about runs and running and (sort of) related other things are kind of what make this challenge thread so nice.

@kelasar and @ekruska802 welcome to the this challenge :smile:

@tdbernrd Congratulations on your first HM, and on the super time!

@gabbo34 Could it be some kind of overtraining - maybe, even if you are running less, you've started doing more strength training or something else and not had enough rest? Or did you change anything about nutrition - less carbs maybe? And when you write "no health issues", does that mean you've seen a doctor about it already, or could it be that maybe you aren't getting enough iron or something along those lines? If not, a blood check might be a good idea.
    Another idea would be that it's partly "mental" - at least to me, what I'm thinking plays a big role in how well/how far I'll be able to run. Maybe it would help if you could somehow distract yourself from the expectation that you'll have to stop a few miles in - an easy warmup before the run during which you remember all the details of a great run you had before the recent setback, or some motivational music, or letting your mind wonder during the run...