40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    Shoulders=Done! feeling extra dumb today...said "I don't know" a whole lot!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    I lifted today....so that is three days in a row.

I am taking a "rest" day on Thursday.

I ended up 4 lbs down for the month of november....not too shabby.

I hope I lose 4 more lbs in December...although that seems unlikely given the "festivities". But, sometimes I really get my head in the game and I can stick to it.

Nevertheless, 2016 has to be more about "balance".....2015 was NOT that "balanced" for me and I kind of want to return to a decent balanced life.

BOOM!
  • FridayL
    FridayL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello' I am just beginning this adventure of getting my body as healthy as possible. I'm 5'9" and 44 years old. My long term goal is 150 lbs./46% of my current weight. My short term is 10% by March 1st. I am starting classes with the VA MOVE program in mid January but decided to begin managing and tracking food and movement now. The end goal is to be off of as many medications as possible. This will be a steady adventureñallowing for true change. Here is to beginnings.
  • lolawindon611
    lolawindon611 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Having trouble figuring out how to start exercising. Any suggestions?
  • gam3rguy
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "Rest"=Done!

..."FOCUS T25 Stretch"=Done!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Having trouble figuring out how to start exercising. Any suggestions?

Go for a slow walk for 15-20 minutes. Over time increase your pace and your length of time
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Finally got a workout in yesterday. The instructor used a lot of weights, which I really like. We went to failure. :)
    I failed pretty quickly. lol!

Christmas bridge party tonight, so I had better be good today!

@Beeps2011 - congrats on the November weight loss! Good job!
    @gam3rguy - nice consistency and mix!
    @lolawindon611 - as allenpriest suggested....just take that step. One step at a time. Good luck!
  • thinBurger
    thinBurger Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP off and on for a year now but seriously for the last 2 months. I'm having trouble getting/staying motivated to exercise. I know I need to exercise to lose weight better. I like walking but have to be careful with how far/fast I go because I have plantar fasciitis. I have a very sedentary job and by the end of the work day I might have 3000 steps. I also have teenagers involved in sports and am in the car going back and forth to sporting events quite a few nights a week. Anybody have any advice/ideas for me to get more steps in and stay motivated?
  • LaShawn_C
    LaShawn_C Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just turned 46 this year, so I'm in
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    thinBurger wrote: »
    I've been using MFP off and on for a year now but seriously for the last 2 months. I'm having trouble getting/staying motivated to exercise. I know I need to exercise to lose weight better. I like walking but have to be careful with how far/fast I go because I have plantar fasciitis. I have a very sedentary job and by the end of the work day I might have 3000 steps. I also have teenagers involved in sports and am in the car going back and forth to sporting events quite a few nights a week. Anybody have any advice/ideas for me to get more steps in and stay motivated?

Do you have a Fitbit? Adding that and doing challenges on there does help me. For the plantar fasciitis, is that something new, to my understanding it is treatable and you can recover from it? Try to work around that and do short bursts...20 min here, 30 min there, ice the foot (or heat it whichever you are doing), do 10 later...When I had my broken toe, I would carry a cooler with an ice pack in it for wen I would be out, and that way you can sit down, rest it, ice it and move on. Can you squeeze in walking in between rides/events? Walk around the sporting event areas?

For me, I had foot and ankle problems all my life until I went minimalist and now 90% of the time I feel fine! When I have an issue, I roll my feet on massage balls and they are fine by the morning. If they really hurt I use ice packs. I had tried everything before, including 4 different pairs of custom orthotics! Some people benefit from support and structured shoes, I don't at all! My orthotics even threw my knee and hip out of joint, requiring an urgent visit to the chiropractor! Once I removed them I was back to normal. All those assistive devices and shoes made me weak, and now I am 99% better!

The point to this rambling is, there is hope, it is just finding the thing for you!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Chest & Tris=Done!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    I lifted today. BOOM!

Scale was UP!!! Boooooooooo
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Awesome kickboxing class tonight followed by a great self defence class. Making up for last night's Christmas party!

Cindytw can you try short morning workouts? I use to skip rope for a song, do a set of leg exercises, skip, arm exercises, skip, ab exercises. About 20 minutes all together.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    LEGS=DONE!
  • thinBurger
    thinBurger Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cindytw, I didn't begin having the problem until I gained weight and was trying to wear dress shoes for work. Its kind of a vicious cycle. I need to get the weight off so the feet don't hurt. I need to exercise to help get the weight off. Exercising makes the feet hurt. I have a fitbit that I wear every day and my dr recommended that I try to increase my steps by 100 steps every few days to get to 10,000 steps. I have stabilizers in my shoes and that does seem to help. I think I'm just impatient and want to go further and faster than what my feet can handle. I was a runner in HS and I would like to get to the point of being able to run again. Down 13 lbs. want to lose another 56-76. 56 more is my goal right now.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    BACK=DONE!
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Lost 2 lbs so 220 on the way from 272 to 160.
    Finished resistance and treadmill for today.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I just got a new incentive to lose the weight. My scout troop just got a 2017 trip to Philmont. That's the big boy scout high adventure base in New Mexico. They have strict height and weight requirements for adults. I've got 16 months to "finish" my weight loss. It's been 23 months for the first half. I'm going to have to pick up the pace.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just got a new incentive to lose the weight. My scout troop just got a 2017 trip to Philmont. That's the big boy scout high adventure base in New Mexico. They have strict height and weight requirements for adults. I've got 16 months to "finish" my weight loss. It's been 23 months for the first half. I'm going to have to pick up the pace.

That's a terrific goal! You can do it!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Bis & Tris=DONE!