December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Congrats on breaking 20 minutes for a 5K! Even better, you placed! First time I broke 20 mintues in 5K I beat my previous PR by 47 seconds, but was only 2nd in the age group because a 56 year old from out of town ran a 17:30.

@_nikkiwolf_ Condolences on the lost glove. Now I'm wondering about all the times I changed gloves in mid-run in the winter, because I needed lighter gloves after I'd warmed up for 5 miles or so. Same thing could happen to me.

@karllundy - I have the Garmin 620. It has a touch screen, which I regarded as a minus until I saw a review demonstrating that you can work it while wearing gloves. And I can/do. The feature that sold me on the 620 instead of the 220 was getting 4 data fields per screen instead of 3. If you're happy with 3 data fields, the 220 should be plenty good enough.

@Elise4270 - LOL on being judged for pie! I hide my diary because I don't want to be judged for my Taco Bell habit!
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    12/04- 2.6 miles
    12/05- 1.7 miles
    12/07- 1.6 miles

Today was really hard. I started week 3 of c25k. I partially had myself psyched out by it but I barely managed to pull through. Up until three weeks ago, I had not run since I was a kid... But I am gonna do this!

If you stick it out it does get easier! I had forgotten that myself until my run this weekend. I had to redo week 5, day 2 about 5 times before I felt I could move on. I'm coming up on week 7!!

Keep it up girl!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

November-Holiday Streak
    26-5.90 Race 10K -my oversight, thought it was sanctioned.
    27- 1.02 TM
    28-5.60
    29-1.02 TM
    30-3.47

1-6.03
    2-1.02 TM
    3-10.01
    4-4.15 walk, per HM training plan
    5-7.23
    6-1.0 TM
    7-6.02

35.46/90+

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I don't hide my diary, some judged me for it. Silly since I don't judge them for not running! I'm entirely convinced that I can run, eat pie or pizza as I wish and stay in shape. I may be a fool, but I'm a fool that has pie.

I could not be friends with someone who would judge me for eating pie or pizza. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. :)

5 miles for me today. I took 35 more seconds off of my time. I know that 5 miles in an hour isn't really that impressive of a goal but I have been working on it for a long time so whatever. Only 2 minutes and 58 seconds more to take off before I get there.
    exercise.png

I have a super short pace when running so I'm still impressed by your 5 miles in an hour
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I was gonna do an easy 2.5-3 today, but i see i have the chance to catch-up or surpass your mileage for the moment. I know you're tapering. But opportunity must be taken. :p

hahaha Enjoy it now. And for the next 3 weeks afterwards when I do my reverse taper.

lporter229 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 -Good luck on your marathon. Is it this upcoming weekend? Is this your BQ attempt?

Thank you. And yes, I did have original plans to attempt a BQ. However, my HM time trial a few weeks ago influenced me that I am not ready to attempt a BQ just yet. Attempting a BQ pace from the beginning may hamper my overall finish time. I don't want to make the same mistake I made last year. So I am going for a 3:30 or 3:35 finish instead which is more realistic for my result at my recent HM time trial. My BQ is 3:25, and in order to even get into Boston, I would have to beat that by almost 3 minutes. No way I am ready for a 3:22 finish this year. Next year, most definetely.

In addition, I got recent news that it may be warm this Saturday. Like 60-70 degrees warm. I was hoping for a 40 degree race in order to PR and get close to BQ. If the 60-70 degree weather holds up, I may have to rethink my goal time even more.

@stoshew71 I saw that on the weather too. Now I'm rethinking my desire to work the medal area. LOL I didn't want to be outside cause you know I HATE the cold, but now I'll be inside standing on hockey ice when it's 60s outside.

Ha ha if people saw what I eat they would die...McDonald's and Jack's are my main staple. Bad bad bad for me, but so so so good.

• Elise4270
    Options
    @ceciliaslater mines a proform. I'll just do the wall mount TV. Bet netflix or the roku will work too ;)

@Stoshew71 I'm enjoying it, briefly. B)

@candacefausset Nice determination! I don't know what drives us to consistently challenge ourselves, but its nice to have the company.

@Amandajs232 sounds like me. I eat out near every work day- I won't pack a lunch. This time of year we eat pie all the time.. I'm just gonna go with it, for awhile.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I was gonna do an easy 2.5-3 today, but i see i have the chance to catch-up or surpass your mileage for the moment. I know you're tapering. But opportunity must be taken. :p

hahaha Enjoy it now. And for the next 3 weeks afterwards when I do my reverse taper.

lporter229 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 -Good luck on your marathon. Is it this upcoming weekend? Is this your BQ attempt?

Thank you. And yes, I did have original plans to attempt a BQ. However, my HM time trial a few weeks ago influenced me that I am not ready to attempt a BQ just yet. Attempting a BQ pace from the beginning may hamper my overall finish time. I don't want to make the same mistake I made last year. So I am going for a 3:30 or 3:35 finish instead which is more realistic for my result at my recent HM time trial. My BQ is 3:25, and in order to even get into Boston, I would have to beat that by almost 3 minutes. No way I am ready for a 3:22 finish this year. Next year, most definetely.

In addition, I got recent news that it may be warm this Saturday. Like 60-70 degrees warm. I was hoping for a 40 degree race in order to PR and get close to BQ. If the 60-70 degree weather holds up, I may have to rethink my goal time even more.

@stoshew71 I saw that on the weather too. Now I'm rethinking my desire to work the medal area. LOL I didn't want to be outside cause you know I HATE the cold, but now I'll be inside standing on hockey ice when it's 60s outside.

Ha ha if people saw what I eat they would die...McDonald's and Jack's are my main staple. Bad bad bad for me, but so so so good.

I have a friend. Donald Bowman. Back a few years, he was the Josh Whitehead who would win all the local 5K's and 10K's. His regular daily workout was run 10 miles in an hour. That was before he retired from running a couple of years ago. Anyway, all he ever ate was McDonalds and Zaxby's. Like every day. He also ate a lot of Chik Filet when they sponsored a lot of races before, and he would always get the Chik Filet cards. lol

I am still hoping the weather report will change in the last second. They said the same thing last year that it was going to be warm. Then the day of it was super cold.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Dec 1 - 2.64
    Dec 2 - 5K
    Dec 3 - 1.4 streak
    Dec 4 - 5.16 miles
    Dec 5 - 4.16 miles - Savannah! Wish I had more time because this was the best run ever.
    Dec 6 - 5.5 miles - Savannah again.
    Dec 7 - 1.1 streak - back home

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Thank you. And yes, I did have original plans to attempt a BQ. However, my HM time trial a few weeks ago influenced me that I am not ready to attempt a BQ just yet. Attempting a BQ pace from the beginning may hamper my overall finish time. I don't want to make the same mistake I made last year. So I am going for a 3:30 or 3:35 finish instead which is more realistic for my result at my recent HM time trial. My BQ is 3:25, and in order to even get into Boston, I would have to beat that by almost 3 minutes. No way I am ready for a 3:22 finish this year. Next year, most definitely.

I hear you. I was in the same boat for my January marathon last year. I *might* have been able to make my BQ, but it was more important for me to have a solid race (it was my first solo marathon) and finish under 4 hours than to try and go for broke and ruin everything. I was really happy I made that decision because I had a good race, finished in 3:52, then put in a good 9 months of solid base miles and training and had a fantastic race in October and shattered my own expectations.

And who knows, you may surprise yourself and have tons of extra energy at the end and hit your BQ goal. I went out thinking I needed a 3:45 but hoping for a 3:42. I started with the 3:45 pace group for the first 10 miles and ended up with a 3:38:26. My last 10 miles were all sub 8s. Turns out all of those extra weekly miles really did pay off!

Either way, I'm sure you will have a good race and will hit that BQ goal at some point. And I hope the weathermen are wrong about those temps...yikes!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @MobyCarp I'm not keen on taco bell, but I do like bean burritos.

@Stoshew71 10 miles in an hour- Yes! Eat anything you want! It's sure not hanging around long enough to hurt you. I'm gonna eat Cheetos everyday when I can run that fast, LOL! In my dreams.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Zaxby's - thanks for putting that thought in my head!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Dec 01      4.3      4.3
    Dec 05      8.1     12.4
    Dec 06      8.1     20.5
    Dec 07      3.5T    24.0

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Finally joined a local Monday speedwork group I had been meaning to run with tonight, and due to needing to get in a long run, ran the 5 miles to the session, did 5 miles at the session, then ran another 5 home. Oddly enough with the break of pace/social side of the group run, the 15 miles overall didn't feel as monotonous as usual. I think I may do the same thing the next 2 weeks with a 7.5 miler there/back to get in my two 20 milers before starting my taper for Disney.

@mobycarp - I think the secret to placing at a 5K if you aren't an elite runner is to stick with smaller holiday themed races that otherwise attract folks who don't run to much, or ones that offer 10K/longer secondary distances to divert the serious runners :) At this point, I'm usually just happy to make it on the podium for my age group.

12/1 - 4 miles
    12/2 - 4 miles (hill repeats at a 7 pace)
    12/3 - 4 miles
    12/5 - 6 miles
    12/6 - 4 miles (5k in 19:26 - 2nd/85 runners)
    12/7 - 15 miles (w. speedwork session in middle)

Total: 37 miles
    Goal: 230 miles
    Remaining: 193 miles
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Did some time on the elliptical tonight. Nothing to add to my ticker today, but plan to run tomorrow :)
  • Endman13
    Endman13 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm going for 100 miles.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    10.5 km run along the dry Riverbank trails. No snow, no ice. After the turn for home I managed to work in 3 - 5 minute Fartek sessions. I have been working on increasing my spm's from my normal plod of 160-165 spm's. Managed to get 2 out of 3 at 175-180 spm's Avg and finished in all out sprint. Not sure what part of my mixed up training has allowed me to improve ( swimming, rest days?), not going to change routines as it seems to be slowly ramping up my tempo and then bam I get a jump in pace and endurance.

12/01 - 0.0 Km – 0.0km – 140.0 Km – – YTD – 514.4 km
    12/02 – 7.0 Km – 7.0km – 133.0 Km – – YTD
    12/04 – 5.0 Km – 12.0km – 128.0 Km – – YTD ( GP run with new kicks )
    12/04 – 7.0 Km – 19.0km – 121.0 Km – – YTD ( Home run with old kicks )
    12/06 – 7.5 Km – 26.5km – 113.5 Km – – YTD
    12/07 –10.5 Km – 37.0km – 103.0 Km – – YTD – 10.5 + 541.4 = 551.4Km

exercise.png

Did Someone say Pie? Where? When? and Why not a little Pie to celebrate all of our Success!!!!!!!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Date…Km’s….Total
    01/12 – 05.76 – 05.76
    02/12 – 02.34 – 08.01 – run : 8’37 pace
    03/12 – 04.37 – 12.47 – stage 2 melanoma: clear margins
    04/12 – 03.05 – 15.52
    05/12 – 04.08 – 19.60
    06/12 – 02.07 – 21.67
    07/12 – 02.01 – 23.68
    08/12 – 02.98 – 26.66

Goal – 100km

Really want to run tomorrow morning before my appointment to get stitches out, but worried all of my sports bras will rub on the scar. It's still pretty tender so not sure how I'll tackle it. I have a dressing here I might pop that on just to make sure I don't annoy it too much. Amazed at how neat the scar is!

Sorry if this image is huge.. I've tried shrinking it but not sure if it has worked :smirk:

q4iaq2lsq93f.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Wow, impressive scar, @kareF !
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    "appointment to get stitches out :) Amazed at how neat the scar is!"

@kareF Glad to hear the margins were clear. Noticed the small Tat/Ink on the base of your neck. Maybe at sometime in the future when the scar is no longer tender get a Tat over it - Runner on an Uphill slope with a small heart at each end of it?
    Edited too add : Of course your Doctor might not like anything that could interfere with future exams.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how far I can run this month, since I only started running on September 22.

I'm going to use this thread to keep track of my distance so I get an idea for next month's challenge.

Dec 2 - 4.3 km
    Dec 5 - 5.3 km
    Dec 7 - 4.5 km