Addicted to oatmeal?

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I changed my diet plan to warm meals since while I loved eating yogurt and salads, it was just too hard for me because its so cold here to me. I originally created a rotation of several foods to switch off between which included oatmeal, soups, and eggs with veggies. However my plan backfired a bit, I've become addicted to eating oatmeal 2-3 times a day ha ha! I haven't had oatmeal in over 6 months, so it really hit the spot. It's just so easy to make, filling, delicious, and I prefer it to the other foods. Of course at night I eat a normal dinner with meat, veggies, and a starch. But I was curious, is it a bad thing to be so addicted to oatmeal? I love oatmeal so much that I created several different recipes for different tastes and flavors. I don't care much for fruit in oatmeal or savory oatmeal, but I am hooked on sweet flavors. I do add a good variety of ingredients, so I'm hoping my body is getting plenty of nutrition and staying in good condition. Here are my favorite recipes for oatmeal, please let me know if you have any suggestions for my recipes or if they are fine they way they are.

Festive Oatmeal:
33 grams of Oatmeal: 123.7 cal
10 grams of cranberry nut mix: 58.5 cal
100 grams milk: 48 cal
12 grams of chia seeds: 48.8 cal
1 teaspoon cinnamon: 6 cal
Total: 285.0 cal

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal with cocoa powder (My absolute favorite since it taste just like chocolate cake, but it's healthy and low in calories!!) (Some times peanut butter isn't included):
30 grams of Oatmeal: 112.5 cal
5 grams of Chocolate Powder: 19.5 cal
4 grams of brown sugar: 15.8 cal
Half Milk 100 grams: 48 cal
Skippy Crunchy Peanut Butter 16 grams: 95 cal
Total: 290.8 cal

Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal:
10 grams of brown sugar: 39.6 cal
15 grams maple syrup: 54.1 cal
8 grams chia seeds: 32.5 cal
100 grams of milk: 48 cal
Total: 292.7 cal

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is it keeping you from getting other nutrients that you need or is it putting you over your calorie goals?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Are you selling your body for the sweet brown sugary glop?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Are you meeting your goals (protein, fat, calories, etc.)? If yes, then there is nothing wrong with it. If you're not, you might need to revise your recipes to better allow you to meet your goals. For example, if you're low on your protein goal, you could add protein powder to get in more protein.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a bowl of oatmeal every day, that's what I have for breakfast every single morning. Usually with protein powder and berries or nut butter in it (depending on the type of protein powder). Eating oatmeal for breakfast, lunch and dinner is a bit much though. You're not getting a lot of micronutrients from that. You'll be deficiant on vitamin d, vitamin c and vitamin b12.

Also chia seeds contain a lot of antinutrients so the amount of calcium, iron etc. that you actually absorb from them is pretty low.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    "Addicted" is the wrong word here. You're very, very fond of oatmeal. Maybe even a little obsessed.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Is it keeping you from getting other nutrients that you need or is it putting you over your calorie goals?

One of the reasons I love the oatmeal so much is because it keeps me full, so I don't go over my calorie limit :) I'm not sure about how much nutrients I'm getting though.
  • jenniator
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Are you meeting your goals (protein, fat, calories, etc.)? If yes, then there is nothing wrong with it. If you're not, you might need to revise your recipes to better allow you to meet your goals. For example, if you're low on your protein goal, you could add protein powder to get in more protein.

To be honest, I haven't really ever payed much attention to my macro's. I mainly focus on the calories and eating well for my body. My body has responded really well with the oatmeal and stays full longer. I think I get good protein with the oatmeal, nuts, chai seeds, coacoa powder, peanut butter, and milk. I also get healthy fat from the nuts, peanut butter, chai seeds, and milk.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a bowl of oatmeal every day, that's what I have for breakfast every single morning. Usually with protein powder and berries or nut butter in it (depending on the type of protein powder). Eating oatmeal for breakfast, lunch and dinner is a bit much though. You're not getting a lot of micronutrients from that. You'll be deficiant on vitamin d, vitamin c and vitamin b12.

Also chia seeds contain a lot of antinutrients so the amount of calcium, iron etc. that you actually absorb from them is pretty low.

To be fair, Last week I was eating 2 bowls of oatmeal for breakfast and lunch. Then starting yesterday, I started having 3 bowls which I count one as a snack. None replaced or counted as dinner though :) For dinner I always have meat, veggies, and starch. I do realize I might be lacking in some vitamins that are needed especially from veggies and fruits which is unfortunate. I do have veggies at dinner, but I don't think it would be enough for the day. I would normally always eat a spinach salad with turkey and veggies. But I got tired of cold food since the cold weather arrived.
  • jenniator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    "Addicted" is the wrong word here. You're very, very fond of oatmeal. Maybe even a little obsessed.

I think obsessed is a much better term ha ha! It's hard to resist it since it hits all my cravings. I absolutely love chocolate and peanut butter, so they are a amazing combination! The Festive Oatmeal is really filling and easily digested which is important for my IBS. Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal has always been one of my top flavor combinations and really fits the spot when I have a sweet tooth.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Yep! You could quit any time you want! ...right?
  • jenniator
    edited December 2015
    Options

Yep! You could quit any time you want! ...right?

Ha ha of course I could :) But I love it since it's easy to make, warm, filling, and it satisfies all my cravings for sweets, chocolate, and peanut butter. I enjoy it a lot more than soup or eggs to be honest too xD For a mid snack I was thinking of Maple and Brown sugar oats or pumpkin soup :( It really is difficult xD
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Dreysander wrote: »

To be fair, Last week I was eating 2 bowls of oatmeal for breakfast and lunch. Then starting yesterday, I started having 3 bowls which I count one as a snack. None replaced or counted as dinner though :) For dinner I always have meat, veggies, and starch. I do realize I might be lacking in some vitamins that are needed especially from veggies and fruits which is unfortunate. I do have veggies at dinner, but I don't think it would be enough for the day. I would normally always eat a spinach salad with turkey and veggies. But I got tired of cold food since the cold weather arrived.

Try roasting your veg. I am not a huge salad fan, but I usually eat a big pile of roasted or sauteed veg for supper.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    First off- I love this post. It made me smile. Heck yeah, oatmeal!

Secondly, I will say that I do this. I phase things. I had a cottage cheese phase that went so hard and so long that when it was done I didn't eat cottage cheese for 8 years, it JUST made a comeback.

So I will forewarn, you may grow tired of something you love.

Finally, I will state, if you are eating 2-3 bowls of oatmeal a day, you may not be leaving room for enough veggies. Maybe throw a warm stirfry in there? Also- you can make "oatmeal" type of meals with a few different types of grains, quinoa makes great breakfast oats with cinnamon and the likes, and is a little higher on the protein (I think!)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

To be honest, I haven't really ever payed much attention to my macro's. I mainly focus on the calories and eating well for my body. My body has responded really well with the oatmeal and stays full longer. I think I get good protein with the oatmeal, nuts, chai seeds, coacoa powder, peanut butter, and milk. I also get healthy fat from the nuts, peanut butter, chai seeds, and milk.

Eating well for your body includes ensuring an appropriate macro split.
  • jenniator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    First off- I love this post. It made me smile. Heck yeah, oatmeal!

Secondly, I will say that I do this. I phase things. I had a cottage cheese phase that went so hard and so long that when it was done I didn't eat cottage cheese for 8 years, it JUST made a comeback.

So I will forewarn, you may grow tired of something you love.

Finally, I will state, if you are eating 2-3 bowls of oatmeal a day, you may not be leaving room for enough veggies. Maybe throw a warm stirfry in there? Also- you can make "oatmeal" type of meals with a few different types of grains, quinoa makes great breakfast oats with cinnamon and the likes, and is a little higher on the protein (I think!)

Thanks! It really is so random :D Oatmeal is love, oatmeal is life!!

Oddly enough, I go through many different food phases that i obsess over as well. Oatmeal was actually a previous phase for me lots of times. For a few months, I was hooked on greek yogurt with protein powder and berries, but then the cold weather came and knocked me out of my obsession from that. I have loved Cereal and eggs with veggies. Lucky I'm the type of person that doesn't mind eating the same foods every day for breakfast and lunch, so very easy. But once I get fixated on a certain food, it is difficult for me to take something else. Since I recently discovered my love of oatmeal again just last week. I'm sure within time I will become less fixated on it and also incorporate other foods into my lunch and snacks again.

Your absolutely right about not enough veggies. I do eat some at dinner, but I doubt it's enough. I like the idea of a warm stirfry, but not so much in the oatmeal since I don't like savory oatmeal, but it would be great on the side. I actually like quinoa a lot and it has about the same calories as oatmeal. But I like that oatmeal is a lot faster to prepare and easier. That makes it better on mornings and afternoon when I don't have much time. Quinoa does take about 20 minutes to prepare and doesn't freeze very well in my opinion, so it's more difficult to make batches of it if I eat it so often. Might not be the best thing, but I also tend to prefer meals that require not much prep and that a fast, especially in the winter since it's a bit tricky with SADS (Winter depression) to have any motivation or energy.
  • fitExploror
    fitExploror Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try adding raisins. Trust me your body will thank you.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Try adding raisins. Trust me your body will thank you.

My nut mix has cranberries and raisins :)?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If it's likely to just be a short-term obsession I wouldn't worry about it. When I was sick one week I ate oatmeal constantly since it was easy and comforting and pretty much all I could imagine getting down.

Personally, if eating it for multiple meals, I'd still try to include more cooked vegetables instead of eating veg only at dinner. I sometimes do oatmeal as an alternative to my usual vegetable omelet for breakfast and still usually add some vegetables on the side. I'd also look at how much protein you are getting. But on the whole it's not that big a deal.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    How about, "boy, I'm really enjoying eating oatmeal right now! I eat it twice a day. Eventually I'll probably get sick of it, but for now it's a lot of fun to find all the different ways I can enjoy it."

And add some more vegetables and protein in while you are enjoying it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I changed my diet plan to warm meals since while I loved eating yogurt and salads, it was just too hard for me because its so cold here to me. I originally created a rotation of several foods to switch off between which included oatmeal, soups, and eggs with veggies. However my plan backfired a bit, I've become addicted to eating oatmeal 2-3 times a day ha ha! I haven't had oatmeal in over 6 months, so it really hit the spot. It's just so easy to make, filling, delicious, and I prefer it to the other foods. Of course at night I eat a normal dinner with meat, veggies, and a starch. But I was curious, is it a bad thing to be so addicted to oatmeal? I love oatmeal so much that I created several different recipes for different tastes and flavors. I don't care much for fruit in oatmeal or savory oatmeal, but I am hooked on sweet flavors. I do add a good variety of ingredients, so I'm hoping my body is getting plenty of nutrition and staying in good condition. Here are my favorite recipes for oatmeal, please let me know if you have any suggestions for my recipes or if they are fine they way they are.

Festive Oatmeal:
    33 grams of Oatmeal: 123.7 cal
    10 grams of cranberry nut mix: 58.5 cal
    100 grams milk: 48 cal
    12 grams of chia seeds: 48.8 cal
    Total: 285.0 cal

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal with cocoa powder (My absolute favorite since it taste just like chocolate cake, but it's healthy and low in calories!!) (Some times peanut butter isn't included):
    5 grams of Chocolate Powder: 19.5 cal
    4 grams of brown sugar: 15.8 cal
    Half Milk 100 grams: 48 cal
    Skippy Crunchy Peanut Butter 16 grams: 95 cal
    Total: 290.8 cal

Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal:
    10 grams of brown sugar: 39.6 cal
    15 grams maple syrup: 54.1 cal
    8 grams chia seeds: 32.5 cal
    100 grams of milk: 48 cal
    Total: 292.7 cal

I think you need to get into treatment right away!

Just kidding. :D

I love oatmeal and have it every morning, except weekends when I have French toast and bacon.

However, I would suggest that you take a look at your macros to see where your fat and protein fall, which are probably pretty low. Think balanced nutrition. :)