How to make scrambled eggs more filling?

Options

Replies

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Add butter or oil. 1 tablespoon will be around 100calories. I find the fat helps me feel full

Agreed. Or add 2 more egg whites. It's less than 50 calories for more food.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, fo sho. Also, I have to have toast with my eggs. I feel like something is missing eating them without bread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    When I have eggs, I usually have to pair it with a carb to fill me. Might be just in my head, but eggs alone = hangry an hour later.
    Eggs and a slice of toast, or a sauteed potato = i'm happy until 30 minutes before lunch haha

Yup. I need a starchy carb with my eggs too. Whenever I cook pasta, white or sweet potatoes, I make extra to have with eggs. I use 2 ounces of cooked pasta. When out of leftovers, I'll have bread.

b430e93a14c9d62a2e239f71dcac35eb.png
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Just shows how different we all are as my first thought was 'more cheese'. I see others are saying ditch it but cheese is something I always find very filling. And yeah agree more veg to bulk it out and another egg would be a better choice than cookies next time. But it's trial and error - the replies show we're all different.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    hmmm....I actually have just 1 fried egg, use smart balance pam type spray, 15-20g shredded cheddar and either a 100 cal mini bagel with cream cheese or 1 slice or reduced cal oatmeal bread with peanut butter (most of those are market basket brand if you want to look up the cals). Keeps me from about 5:30am til 10am or so. I need more fat to keep me fuller during the work week, but need some carbs for some sticking power and fiber. Ends up between 280 and 350 cals depending.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It just shows how varied people are, as I have a similar breakfast -- 2 eggs omelet, lots of vegetables (for example, broccoli + spinach), a little feta -- and find it extremely filling. Usually I have more protein with it, which makes it even more filling (cottage cheese or smoked salmon are my favorites). That might kick it over 300, but I usually aim for 300-400 for any breakfast, as I'm more a 3 meal person.

I do find that cheese doesn't really add to the satiety factor (but some would disagree). I include it because I like it and usually go with feta because it has a strong taste in small quantity so I don't have to add much.

That's very true! It's strange how different every person is when it comes to satisfying your aptitude. The most filling foods for me are oatmeal and yogurt with berries and protein powder. I think for me, protein is what makes me full. I also noticed carbs can be filling when paired with protein, at least for me. But it is strange since eggs have great fat and protein, so I would think they would fill me up. I wonder what makes yogurt much more filling than eggs. I also find cheese doesn't fill me up at all. Feta cheese does sound great though.
  • jenniator
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    When I have eggs, I usually have to pair it with a carb to fill me. Might be just in my head, but eggs alone = hangry an hour later.
    Eggs and a slice of toast, or a sauteed potato = i'm happy until 30 minutes before lunch haha

That actually sounds like a good idea, eggs with carbs like potato or whole grain bread. I think that might be more filling :) I find carbs and protein together make a filling meal generally. I'm always satisfied with my oatmeal which is a mix of protein and carbs.
  • jenniator
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I find eggs very filling. But a 300 calorie meal typically doesn't fill me up either. I need around 400-500 calories. How about having those eggs with an English muffin and a laughing cow wedge?

It's strange since I find 300 calorie meals to be filling in general. I always eat oatmeal in the morning which is around 292 cal , chicken soup 200 cal, pumpkin soup 242 cal, and in the summer I was eating yogurt with fruit and protein powder 262 cal. All those meals satisfy me a lot more than eggs for some reason.
  • jenniator
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    jenniator wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was craving some eggs today so I made scrambled eggs, here is my recipe.

Scrambled eggs:
    Pam Oil Spray: 0 cal
    2 eggs: 160 cal
    1 egg white: 17 cal
    10 grams of cheese: 35.5
    100 grams veggies: 31 cal
    Total: 243.5 cal

Sometimes I add 2 slices of Turkey lunch meat (30 more calories), so 273.5 cal in total.

It was absolutely delicious and made a good portion, but the problem was it didn't fill me up at all. Afterwards I had 3 chips ahoy cookies (160 calories) and that helped take off the edge. My oatmeal is only around 197-292 calories and it fills me up a lot. Does anyone have a better idea of how to make scrambled eggs more filling without having the calories be too crazy? Generally I don't like to go higher than around 300 calories for a meal except dinner since I like to have snacks in between as well.

You answered your own question. Make 4 eggs instead of 2. That'll be a lot more filling for you.
    I normally have 5-6 and I'm stuffed afterwards.

I've tried making more eggs, but they just don't seem to keep me full or satisfied for even over a hour.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Just shows how different we all are as my first thought was 'more cheese'. I see others are saying ditch it but cheese is something I always find very filling. And yeah agree more veg to bulk it out and another egg would be a better choice than cookies next time. But it's trial and error - the replies show we're all different.

Yeah everyone really is different. I noticed cheese also don't fill me up. The bulking up on veggies is a great idea. I tried adding another egg before, and it didn't make a difference unfortunately :( Also since the cookies fit into my calorie goal, it's not too much of a problem :) Especially since I haven't had junk food in a while.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Try this. Basically whip the eggs into stiff peaks and bake them. Portion is huge and so filling. Change up the veggies and add meat if you want.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/421519-how-to-cook-fluffy-omelets-in-the-oven/
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I also don't find eggs filling on their own. I have to pair it with a carb (toast or crumpets, maybe a tortilla) and/or veggie sausage links. I also add around 200 grams of veggies and sometimes 20 grams of cheese. Today for dinner I had scrambled eggs with veggies and linda mccartney sausages. Came to 370 calories and definitely hit the spot.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, experiment with what fills you up: fat, protein, or carbs. If it's protein, you might try adding nutritional yeast seasoning (http://bragg.com/products/bragg-premium-nutritional-yeast-seasoning-salt-free.html), which has a cheesy flavor. It has a lot of protein, but no fat. I also add it to oatmeal.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - on Sundays, after I've boxed for an hour and done an hour of step, plus walked a mile and a tenth each way to the gym and back, it's not enough food to fill me up, and I've already had a protein shake too.

I like the Trader Joe vegan sausages and I'd eat two along with my eggs and sautéed veggies. I also eat 2 whole wheat English muffins with some butter. And a big coffee!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Have you tried duck eggs instead of chicken eggs?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    JShailen wrote: »
    I also don't find eggs filling on their own. I have to pair it with a carb (toast or crumpets, maybe a tortilla) and/or veggie sausage links. I also add around 200 grams of veggies and sometimes 20 grams of cheese. Today for dinner I had scrambled eggs with veggies and linda mccartney sausages. Came to 370 calories and definitely hit the spot.

Oh, yes, egg burritos are really good. I make them when I have an open package after making chicken or steak fajitas.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ypp0onkgasrw.png

nom nom nom I love eggs
    and when that isnt enough i just eat some more :)

95069916.png
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Have you tried duck eggs instead of chicken eggs?

Duck eggs are great - they seem to be more concentrated is the best way I can describe it - & bigger too - Eastcoast Jim

• WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I always have a slice of toast with my eggs... the fibre/protein combo is what fills me up!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I do frozen spinach, mushrooms, egg whites, laughing cow light and either a slice of ham or 5g cheese on toast every morning

Creature of habit

This. Almost exactly - substitute creme fraiche or cream cheese or goat cheese for the laughing cow.

Also - Spanish Omelettes.