Joined Weight Watchers now regretting it

Options
gooz71
gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I joined WW a month ago and had been losing weight. Last week however, they changed their whole program and I am so disappointed. It's left me feeling hopeless. I am wondering if anyone on here has had better success with MFP than WW after having done both?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Loads of people have had success with MFP and it's free.

read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    The biggest recurring issue I see with weight watchers and people who then use mfp is the free fruit and veg.

People not logging their fruit and veg and wondering why they aren't losing on mfp.

Log everything with calories and create a deficit and lose weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a former long, long time WWer and I quit after they kept stuffing around with the program. I've had over 70lbs of success with MFP now!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What have they changed now?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Apparently, low points will be assigned to low fat meat to encourage folks to eat less fatty meat. Sugar and Saturated fat are more points. More emphasis on fitness and motivation.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Apparently, low points will be assigned to low fat meat to encourage folks to eat less fatty meat. Sugar and Saturated fat are more points. More emphasis on fitness and motivation.

why dont they just count calories. seems stuffing about with points over complicate things.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

why dont they just count calories. seems stuffing about with points over complicate things.

cos you can't sell that as a product

WW points were developed when calorie counting involved notepads and little look-up books - it was designed to simplify - now it just complicates IMO

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My Mum - also a relatively new WW member (though she has been a member on and off for around 30 years!) has just recently cancelled her membership due to the restrictive Smart Points system. In my honest opinion, it is utterly ridiculous, totally unsustainable and a real shame. Weight Watchers used to be such a positive and straight-forward approach to losing weight but is needlessly over complicating things.

MFP (again in my honest opinion) is the absolute ultimate tool in losing weight. Counting calories and being realistic whilst STILL being able to live like a normal human being and on top of all that, it's free.
  • gregfrompenn
    gregfrompenn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If weight watchers found the perfect formula for losing weight they would still have to continue to change it to make money. And they also have to keep it complicated so you think you cannot do it on your own.
  • Twincle1970
    Twincle1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I joined WW a couple of years ago, dead simple: Daily points + Weekly points, eat what you like (encouraged to make healthier choices) = 3stone weight loss. I've put all of it back on (but thats not WW fault :smile: ) Is it a lot more complicated now?
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Can you cancel your membership or are you locked in for a certain time period?
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I lost every week on the flex program than without warning my account was changed to that stupid points plus, I gained back half what I lost trying to figure out what to do. They should let people choose what they want to do, I paid for flex I want the flex.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The biggest recurring issue I see with weight watchers and people who then use mfp is the free fruit and veg.

People not logging their fruit and veg and wondering why they aren't losing on mfp.

Log everything with calories and create a deficit and lose weight.

This is a good point. if you DO go with MFP, log your fruits and vegetables. Eat them, definitely, but log them.
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The new program is called "smart points" and IMO it's now "low carb" which isn't sustainable to me. They lowered the points allowed each day and have raised the points on most foods unless it's lean protein and/or very low in sugar. For example, a bowl of oatmeal that used to be 4 points, is now 7. I totally get that they are trying to get people to eat healthier, but what I liked about WW before was you could have what you want and still lose weight. Now they are pretty much forcing you to eat low carb so it's much harder to adhere to (for me).
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    gooz71 wrote: »
    The new program is called "smart points" and IMO it's now "low carb" which isn't sustainable to me. They lowered the points allowed each day and have raised the points on most foods unless it's lean protein and/or very low in sugar. For example, a bowl of oatmeal that used to be 4 points, is now 7. I totally get that they are trying to get people to eat healthier, but what I liked about WW before was you could have what you want and still lose weight. Now they are pretty much forcing you to eat low carb so it's much harder to adhere to (for me).

That bites

Calorie counting

it's free

and you're in control
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    As others have said - it's smoke and mirrors. If the system was easy to follow/replicate outside of WW they wouldn't be needed - and wouldn't get your money. CICO is free, easy to follow and works for life. The sheer number of people you see on the boards saying they've done WW many times speaks for itself really.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

WW points were developed when calorie counting involved notepads and little look-up books - it was designed to simplify - now it just complicates IMO

Agreed. I belonged to WW in the 90s and it was helpful then but not something I'd pay for now that there is MFP. A good group and leader could be worthwhile, but overall, I don't think it's worth the fee.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Agreed. I belonged to WW in the 90s and it was helpful then but not something I'd pay for now that there is MFP. A good group and leader could be worthwhile, but overall, I don't think it's worth the fee.

If someone wants group support and accountability I would suggest looking into TOPS instead of WW. That way they could follow their own program and pay a lot less (TOPS is $5 a month plus a yearly $20 fee). I don't think I would want to pay $40 a month to have someone weigh me in and get materials & listen to meeting topics that don't necessarily apply to what I am doing.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    WW has to continually ramp up there "system" to make it look complicated; that's how they get to charge money for something your poor little, average intellect can't figure out.
    You can't make people spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars chasing their weight loss dreams by telling them 'here's the numbers, follow a simple CICO rule and... yeah, that's basically it'.
    The diet industry is five billion plus a year for a reason. :(
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Obnoxa wrote: »
    WW has to continually ramp up there "system" to make it look complicated; that's how they get to charge money for something your poor little, average intellect can't figure out.
    You can't make people spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars chasing their weight loss dreams by telling them 'here's the numbers, follow a simple CICO rule and... yeah, that's basically it'.
    The diet industry is five billion plus a year for a reason. :(

Spot on!