Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eat before or after workout??

2»

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Also, it may make a difference *what* you eat. I sometimes row (boats, on the water) first thing in the morning; sometimes I go to spin class. I'm better off with just a bit more carb-o-licious food for rowing (English muffin under my peanut butter), but if I eat that before spin class, I sometimes get reflux. Before I amp-ed up my rowing breakfast, I felt somewhat drained after, but the English muffin changed that. I feel fine after spin.

Whether to eat, and *what* to eat, is a great subject for personal experimentation. Good luck, you'll sort it out!

One time I had a banana and coffee before spin class.....I will never make that mistake again.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I agree with everyone saying it's a personal preference. For myself, I have started to eat a little before and a little after a morning workout. With a slice of toast and a tbsp. of nut butter I have the energy to work a lot harder and not feel as whipped out afterward. I like to follow it up with 2 eggs. That seems to be what works for me.
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    I think you have to trial and error it because everyone is different. For me, I have to workout on an empty stomach or I get cramps. I eat afterward paying special attention to protein.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    Yep, personal preference. Sometimes I nibble on a banana between sets.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    My trainer recommends to eat a snack such as an apple about 1 hr before to fuel the workout , then eat carb+protein within 1-2 Hr after to fuel recovery. Makes sense & Works for me
  • SheDevilMilf
    SheDevilMilf Posts: 45 Member
    I'd like to take this time to thank everyone for responding back to me about this subject. Now it's just a matter of practice and preference. Thank you
  • 2failure
    2failure Posts: 7 Member
    Some seem to think fasted cardio in the morning upon waking speed up the fat burning process. If your able to do that then eating afterward would be ideal. After a week of this your body should get used to running on fat for fuel. Only if your doing intense resistance training you should have a good carb meal before, in my opinion.
  • SheDevilMilf
    2failure wrote: »
    Some seem to think fasted cardio in the morning upon waking speed up the fat burning process. If your able to do that then eating afterward would be ideal. After a week of this your body should get used to running on fat for fuel. Only if your doing intense resistance training you should have a good carb meal before, in my opinion.

Does this work? Cause I started out doing that. What I would do first thing in the morning is everyother day I would drink Adrenolin Cuts pre workout mix then about a few min later feel extremely naseous but would only last about 10 min. Then I could workout. But now every morning I wake up extremely hungry. What would you suggest?
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    edited December 2015
    It's all about performance. What ever works for you. Meal timing, despite popular belief... Doesn't have much of an effect on weight loss

I like the name by the way
  • SheDevilMilf
    It's all about performance. What ever works for you. Meal timing, despite popular belief... Doesn't have much of an effect on weight loss

Honestly I'm trying what works for me. It seems at times I can workout without eating first, but then there are other days when I need to eat. I wonder if it has anything to do with what I ate the night before.

About the name...
  • SheDevilMilf

Honestly I'm trying what works for me. It seems at times I can workout without eating first, but then there are other days when I need to eat. I wonder if it has anything to do with what I ate the night before.

About the name...

Thanks about the name!! ;)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I heard carbs before and protein after. My healthy whole foods breakfast smoothie has both, so I drink half before and half after the gym.
  • lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    Your muscle tissue contains glycogen which is used to fire your muscles and produce energy. Glycogen is glucose storage. If you are trying to lose fat, then you want to use more fat for energy than glucose. If you exercise fasted you will have less glucose running around and have used up some of the glycogen in the muscle therefor you more apt to utilize fat for energy. Best thing is for you to play around and see what makes it the most fun for you.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    I have like a bagel or something before. If I don't I get really tired and have trouble going through with it. But if I have anything sugary or fatty I get nauseous.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Sometimes I eat during. I literally went to make some pancakes with some peanut butter to bring while working out but I ate them before I left for the gym.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Hi everyone. So I'm new to all this and trying to get into shape before June. I need to lose about 30 pounds. But the one thing I keep struggling with is, do I eat something before I workout or workout first then eat? Every morning I've been waking up extra hungry and am always wondering if I should eat before or after? If you have any answers for me pls chat me back. I would greatly appreciate it.

I think it's mostly personal preference. Most days I prefer to have something in my stomach, but if it's going to be an intense session, I get in something light about 90 minutes before so that it doesn't come back up. If it's something more gentle, then I will eat if I'm hungry or skip it if not. I almost always feel the need to eat after. I'm usually pretty hungry by then. This hasn't slowed my weight loss at this point, but I'm not aiming for elite anything either.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Also, it may make a difference *what* you eat. I sometimes row (boats, on the water) first thing in the morning; sometimes I go to spin class. I'm better off with just a bit more carb-o-licious food for rowing (English muffin under my peanut butter), but if I eat that before spin class, I sometimes get reflux. Before I amp-ed up my rowing breakfast, I felt somewhat drained after, but the English muffin changed that. I feel fine after spin.

Whether to eat, and *what* to eat, is a great subject for personal experimentation. Good luck, you'll sort it out!

One time I had a banana and coffee before spin class.....I will never make that mistake again.

I don't spin, but I once had a banana with peanut butter about 30 min before an intense PT session. Not pleasant, and never repeated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member

Interesting . . . I'm pretty sure I could eat that. Like I said, I skip the English muffin before spin, but - to be more specific - routinely eat a "Coco lite Whole Wheat Pop Cake" (large cracker-like thing, mostly air) with 2T peanut butter, 3/4C of hot milk, 1/2C kefir, then start spin less than half an hour later, no problem. But I'm a peasant. ;)