Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Jayz395 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm eating 1600 calories a day and was running a couple mile a day on the treadmill as well but my weight wasn't really moving. My ankle started hurting so stopping running and since then my weight is dropping really fast, how can I lose weight faster without working out?
    Your a 30 something male only eating 1600 cals and running. That's not very much. Sometimes there's a sweet spot deficit where weight loss happens best. Dropping your running found that. When I started many many years ago, the combination of running and eating too little did not work for me. I started eating a bit more and never looked back.
    How would burning fewer calories help his weight loss if nothing else had changed?

It's almost certainly water weight or eating enough less to offset the missing exercise. It's almost certainly not some sweet spot in which calories in and calories out cease to be the determinant.
    The same way me eating more helped my weight loss.

I always found the more I ate, the more I lost also! I never had great results from the MFP's standard caloric goal for many women of 1200 cals a day.
    That's only a "standard" when relatively small women try to lose at a very high rate.

I was 180lbs or more and 5'7" when I started MFP and 1200 was the cal intake assigned to me. So, not a small female Thankfully, reading in the forums more recently has taught me to eat more. That I was barely fuelling my body on that and no wonder I kept failing. OP, I am a 150lb, 35yo woman, I am losing on 16-1800 cal per day. Eat to fuel your body! You will stick with it longer, feel better, and if the weight comes off slower that is not a big deal right? Your current loss is probably glycogen and water because your muscles don't need the repair anymore. Had you continued running, this would have balanced itself out and you would have seen similar losses. If you want to exercise, do! Your body will thank you for it!

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm eating 1600 calories a day and was running a couple mile a day on the treadmill as well but my weight wasn't really moving. My ankle started hurting so stopping running and since then my weight is dropping really fast, how can I lose weight faster without working out?
    Your a 30 something male only eating 1600 cals and running. That's not very much. Sometimes there's a sweet spot deficit where weight loss happens best. Dropping your running found that. When I started many many years ago, the combination of running and eating too little did not work for me. I started eating a bit more and never looked back.
    How would burning fewer calories help his weight loss if nothing else had changed?

It's almost certainly water weight or eating enough less to offset the missing exercise. It's almost certainly not some sweet spot in which calories in and calories out cease to be the determinant.

I always found the more I ate, the more I lost also! I never had great results from the MFP's standard caloric goal for many women of 1200 cals a day.
    That's only a "standard" when relatively small women try to lose at a very high rate.

I was 180lbs or more and 5'7" when I started MFP and 1200 was the cal intake assigned to me. So, not a small female Thankfully, reading in the forums more recently has taught me to eat more. That I was barely fuelling my body on that and no wonder I kept failing. OP, I am a 150lb, 35yo woman, I am losing on 16-1800 cal per day. Eat to fuel your body! You will stick with it longer, feel better, and if the weight comes off slower that is not a big deal right? Your current loss is probably glycogen and water because your muscles don't need the repair anymore. Had you continued running, this would have balanced itself out and you would have seen similar losses. If you want to exercise, do! Your body will thank you for it!
    What rate of loss did you choose?

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    He didn't really mean "how can I" so much as "why did I."

He's not looking for a process going forward, but an explanation of what happened.

Yes that's right, I ran each day for about 3 weeks eating 1600 weight didn't really alter. Since I've stopped I lost about 3-4 pound every week been about 5 weeks now

That's cool. Then we move on to the answer of "lose it in the kitchen effect" taking place. Water, glycogen stores, fat & muscle all combined is accounting for your 3-4 pounds per week loss.

Was your counting as accurate for the three weeks you were running as it has been the past 5 weeks?
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm a jogger and tend to see the scale move down the morning after I have a day off exercise. I don't necessary jog to drop weight, I do it because I enjoy it and it's my "me" time to think and clear my head. If you solely want to lose weight, then stick to the calorie goal MFP gave you and I think some of the why has already been mentioned above so I won't reiterate. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

And how was that?
    I'm not really sure what you don't understand about my last statement. Eating more = weight loss.
    Except that's impossible, given accurate measurements of "more" and "loss" if other factors are held constant.

So, what I don't understand, is how the physics of that would work or where the extra calories went.

Except that it happened, so it's not impossible & I'm not going to continue to argue it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    No, it didn't, any more than I flew to the store just because I claim it and am not going to continue to argue it.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

What rate of loss did you choose?

2lbs a week of course. I really wish it was not even an option on here. I feel like for women above 5'5" 1200 is far too low and should not even be shown as an option. Or the app should give further explanation, or links to the relevant forum discussions about it. More informed choices would be made.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

And how was that?
    I'm not really sure what you don't understand about my last statement. Eating more = weight loss.

ways eating more = greater weight loss

1) when you are logging more accurately and removing inconsistencies
    2) when you're increasing your TDEE because you're fueling better
    3) diet break replenishing Leptin levels can help you lose more when returning to calorie defecit

perhaps?

I'm curious about this.

I did a google search, and the first few results started off by saying something like "calories in / calories out doesn't work because . . . starvation mode." Are you saying there's actually something to this?
  • Jayz395
    Jayz395 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought it was maybe my deficit once I worked out was too high,
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    My best guess is you had already lost the weight but since you were running your body was hanging on to extra water weight in an effort to repair your muscles. Once you stopped running it didn't have to hang on to that water anymore.

The more likely explanation is that you were eating more than 1600 calories when you were running and didn't realize it (running causing increase of appetite). Stopped running, appetite decreased, you were more accurate in your logging because you didn't need to fudge for the extra this and that. 1600 is pretty low for a male that is running.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options

And how was that?
    Except that's impossible, given accurate measurements of "more" and "loss" if other factors are held constant.

So, what I don't understand, is how the physics of that would work or where the extra calories went.

Except that it happened, so it's not impossible & I'm not going to continue to argue it.

Maybe eating more made her system come out of a starvation mode and eating more allowed more fat to be released. A physics possibility is that she excreted the extra cals.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

And how was that?

ways eating more = greater weight loss

1) when you are logging more accurately and removing inconsistencies
    2) when you're increasing your TDEE because you're fueling better
    3) diet break replenishing Leptin levels can help you lose more when returning to calorie defecit

perhaps?

I took a lot of crap from a lot of people for making suggestions like your number 3 above. No?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    In order of most to least likely:

1. Water weight. Muscles retain water when they are repairing themselves, and stopping exercise can lead to a loss of this water. I retain water after basically every workout almost like clockwork.

2. Better logging.

3. Coincidence / nonlinearity of weight loss catching up to you.

4. More muscle loss. For the same caloric deficit, you'll get greater weight loss if you lose muscle instead of fat, because fat is much more energy dense.