Do you have to eat vegetables in order to lose weight??

Options
I know vegetables are important in for health but do you have to eat it to lose weight??

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Short answer, no.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi ^^ Here is a list of links to some guides about how to get started, covering the basics. In the end, as long as you are eating fewer calories than you use up as energy in your day to day life, you will lose weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Some say yes some say no.
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »

What should I believe?

Cause I can't eat vegetables everyday
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get so bored of eating vegetables
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just eat food. Log your calories and stay in your goal. Look through some people's diaries, you'll see everything from veggies to burgers and doughnuts to chili, etc.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »

What should I believe?

Cause I can't eat vegetables everyday

You don't need to.

Why not? Just cost? In that case, canned and frozen veggies are pretty cheap.

As far as getting bored, have you tried changing how you prepare them? I mean, I'll never get tired of roast Brussel's sprouts, but that's just me. I mean, unless you are eating only vegetables for a meal, then I don't understand getting tired of them (and I'm not a huge veggie eater, I prefer fruits and meats).
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Nope...They can be helpful in controlling hunger but they are not strictly neccessary.
  • gardensneeze
    gardensneeze Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure whether you're joking or not, but for complete health, functioning bowels, and all the nutrients you need to LIVE, yeah I'd be eating vegetables. Every. Day. They fill you up, taste amazing and are so good for you. Let me know if you want to tips or recipes on working with veg. Losing weight without including vegetables is extremely unhealthy and not recommended - you'd be starving yourself and depriving yourself of essential micronutrients, plus it's likely that you'd put all the weight back on because your habits haven't changed.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Veggies can be a tool for weight loss AND weight management. You don't have to eat veggies if you don't want to. But, veggies are low in calories, high in fiber, and high in micronutrients.

You can continue to eat smaller portions of higher calorie foods....but realize maintenance is forever. Learning to like veggies can help you in maintenance because you can eat a larger volume of food.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'll never get sick of roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
    Load up a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle parmesan and garlic powder over the veg and bake till crunchy, dip them in Hellmans mayo.

Op not having veggies every single day isn't going to hurt you. 3-4 times a week would be enough.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You can eat complete junk all day every day and lose weight. Wouldn't be too healthy in the end, but you would be skinny.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If eating vegetables is boring, you are doing it wrong. Maybe what you need is t learn some better ways of preparing them.

Is it required for weight loss? No. But it sure does help with the not being so hungry thing. Not to mention it is good for you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I vote for not serious.

Think long and hard, OP, how you can evaluate claims. Is it the most persuasive and passionate speaker?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure whether you're joking or not, but for complete health, functioning bowels, and all the nutrients you need to LIVE, yeah I'd be eating vegetables. Every. Day. They fill you up, taste amazing and are so good for you. Let me know if you want to tips or recipes on working with veg. Losing weight without including vegetables is extremely unhealthy and not recommended - you'd be starving yourself and depriving yourself of essential micronutrients, plus it's likely that you'd put all the weight back on because your habits haven't changed.

If you can lose weight with no vegetables, you can maintain the loss with no vegetables. It just may not be a good idea for the other reasons you mention.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nope. Husband is losing weight. Vegetables eaten so far this week: pizza sauce, ketchup, mashed potatoes.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    No. The ones who say yes seem to think there is something magical about the calories that come from veggies. There isn't. Veggies are packed with nutrition, which is a good thing. They have lots of fiber which is good to help fill you up and keep you full among other things maybe making it easier to stick to your calories, but none of that makes it absolutely necessary to eat them to lose weight especially if you don't like them.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Nope. I rarely eat vegetables except as components of other things, and I'm 65 pounds down so far.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them, but they help with reaching satiety with fewer calories.

One trick to try is finely minced summer squash or zucchini in ground meat recipes. Gives you a fuller taco, bigger meatball, or a more substantial spaghetti sauce without really changing the taste/texture. Just be sure to remove the seeds..that is the part that gets watery and messes with the texture.

Chances are fair that if you experiment you can find at least one way of preparing each vegetable that you like okay. I grew up hating Brussels sprouts...my mom boiled frozen ones. :p Spinach? She served the canned stuff that smelled and looked like seaweed and they put vinegar on it. Ick.

Now, roasted Brussels sprouts and raw spinach in salad are okay.