Do you have to eat vegetables in order to lose weight??

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Nope. Husband is losing weight. Vegetables eaten so far this week: pizza sauce, ketchup, mashed potatoes.

What were the vegetables in ketchup?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    If eating vegetables is boring, you are doing it wrong. Maybe what you need is to learn some better ways of preparing them.

Is it required for weight loss? No. But it sure does help with the not being so hungry thing. Not to mention it is good for you.

Agreed.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Nope. Husband is losing weight. Vegetables eaten so far this week: pizza sauce, ketchup, mashed potatoes.

Tomatoes?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Tomatoes?

Yep.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    She got you though. Tomato is fruit, right?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I know vegetables are important in for health but do you have to eat it to lose weight??

One thing that has been proved to help people lose weight is keeping a food journal. Try logging regularly.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

No it's a vegetable.

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Yeah, but so are most veggies. Unless it's a leaf, stem, or root, it's probably (botanically) a fruit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,070 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Some say yes some say no.

What should I believe?

Cause I can't eat vegetables everyday

Why not?

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Yeah, but so are most veggies. Unless it's a leaf, stem, or root, it's probably (botanically) a fruit.

So...most veggies are fruits. Noted.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,070 Member
    Options
    No, you do not need to eat veggies in order to lose weight. You need to eat fewer calories than you are burning in order to lose weight.

But for me, personally ... I love veggies! I crave veggies. A day without veggies just doesn't seem right ... I feel like I'm missing something important.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    No, you do not need to eat veggies in order to lose weight. You need to eat fewer calories than you are burning in order to lose weight.

But for me, personally ... I love veggies! I crave veggies. A day without veggies just doesn't seem right ... I feel like I'm missing something important.

Same here! And that roasted broccoli/cauliflower concoction I posted up thread is all I had for dinner last night, and it was most filling.

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No.
    But I eat a load of them daily because I like good results!
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Wow...
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I love them too, but I can totally see how much it would suck to have to eat them everyday if I didn't love them. For instance if someone tried to make me eat liver everyday :( on a happy note I would be the weight I am aiming at in very short order from lack of eating anything at all. Try a few things, do some recipes, see if you can make them palatable to you. If not make sure you are getting your vitamins and stuff so you are healthy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    steuartcj wrote: »
    Wow...

"wow" What @steuartcj :smile:
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Yes. Always eat them in order! It's like food combining, but alphabetical. First asparagus, then broccoli, then cabbage......
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Aha, yes. If that is what she meant. I should say those were his fruits/veggies so far this week. (Not an exaggeration, those are really it.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - all you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. However, you should eat some vegetables and fruits to make sure that you are getting adequate nutrition.

end thread/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Not from a culinary standpoint. (Or according to the USSC.)

From a botanical one, sure.