Sugars/Intolerance? Help me Understand.

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't really understand what I would need "treatment" for, for those who are saying I need to see a doctor. I don't have a deadly allergy or anything.

Ah. I'm a shy person. Now kind of regretting making this post.

Personally, I wish you'd keep posting here and specifically the reduction of sugar either by gram or day or something. You have a very well informed group helping out and for some people lurking the answers you find can help them too. Continued success. It is a joy to watch your progression. :smile:
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Reading through the posts it occured to me that when I was very thin, whenever we went out to dinner and I indulged myself I got a case of inflamation, joints, pain in on the oute thighs etc. and the longer I was eating over my regular caloric plan I got worse. The remedy, as you pointed out OP is to eat less. Basically food causes me inflamation, so I limit what I eat.

Are you in the healthy bmi range?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    I would make a gynecological appointment at your County Health Center. It will be free if your income is low/none. They can do blood work if you state your symptoms.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Reading through the posts it occured to me that when I was very thin, whenever we went out to dinner and I indulged myself I got a case of inflamation, joints, pain in on the oute thighs etc. and the longer I was eating over my regular caloric plan I got worse. The remedy, as you pointed out OP is to eat less. Basically food causes me inflamation, so I limit what I eat.

Are you in the healthy bmi range?

Yeah, I've been in a healthy range for awhile. I'm bulking actually...

• arditarose
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I don't really understand what I would need "treatment" for, for those who are saying I need to see a doctor. I don't have a deadly allergy or anything.

Personally, I wish you'd keep posting here and specifically the reduction of sugar either by gram or day or something. You have a very well informed group helping out and for some people lurking the answers you find can help them too. Continued success. It is a joy to watch your progression. :smile:

Thank you for encouraging me. I just get shy!

Okay. I am going to address something @kkenseth mentioned that we have all kind of ignored.

Before I made this post I was aware that this was a symptom many bingers/anorexics would get after eating a lot of food. Now, I don't have an eating disorder. I might be anxious about food, and I may have tried a semi-agressive cut in Semptember (which ended up not being aggressive since I didn't lose much weight anyway)...but no eating disorder.

So at first, before the apple incident, I thought this was mainly from eating TOO much food. But now I'm just kind of pissed because I'm not cutting and then eating a huge cheat meal...I'm bulking on 2000 calories per day (yeah pathetic I know). On Saturday I eat 2500 calories and one meal is usually very high calorie/restaurant.

Anyway, the issue is also embarrassing because it definitely happens when I over do it. For example, it was very bad around Thanksgiving. I probably ate half a pecan pie in two days. And a slice or so of pumpkin pie. I couldn't stop. So yeah, a lot of pie...but still, most people would not experience these symptoms after that.

Now you guys have me a little nervous. I'm thinking about what to do. If it's an allergy I just have to learn to eat properly (which I'm already trying to do for my new size anyway). If it's something more serious....I don't know.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Talk to a dr. Save some money and pay without insurance if there is no other way. It could be anything from an allergy to fibromyalgia. No one can diagnose it online.
  • arditarose
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Talk to a dr. Save some money and pay without insurance if there is no other way. It could be anything from an allergy to fibromyalgia. No one can diagnose it online.

Yeah, I wasn't really looking for a diagnoses online. Like I said, I wanted more information about how our body uses sugar from different sources.

Actually, when I had the problem while I was fat I was convinced it was fibromyalgia.
  • erikaimmekus
    erikaimmekus Posts: 2 Member
    I have a wheat and corn intolerance. It causes me to develope autoimmune disorders. Try just eating rice as your only carb. And for sweets. I can't eat apples either or grapes and a few other fruit.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member

Yeah, I wasn't really looking for a diagnoses online. Like I said, I wanted more information about how our body uses sugar from different sources.

Actually, when I had the problem while I was fat I was convinced it was fibromyalgia.

Why do you need to know what it does from different sources?
  • arditarose

I'm interested.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member

I'm interested.

sedentary v. anaerobic v. aerobic; starch v. honey v. sugar? Do you mean this? Are you looking for activity and the reaction pre-during-post?

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    edited December 2015
    rankinsect wrote: »
    There is one risk, though - if you're diagnosed with something, and you want to purchase insurance to cover the treatment, then this becomes a pre-existing condition and insurance isn't required to cover it for the first year of your new policy, after which they have to cover it fully. If you get the insurance first (even if the condition started previously but you sought no medical advice) they will be paying from day 1.
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Essentially, while insurers can no longer disqualify or raise rates because of pre-existing conditions, if you don't have continuous health coverage (no more than 90 consecutive days uninsured) they may give you an 'exclusion period' of up to 12 months (18 if you enroll late) where any condition for which you received any medical advice, care, or diagnosis within the 6 months prior to your enrollment are not covered. After the exclusion period, insurance will cover it as normal. Essentially it's a way to ensure people don't just wait until they need insurance and then try to buy it.

This used to be the case, but it no longer true in the US (and never was true most other places). The ACA requires coverage of pre-existing conditions from day 1 (and it is currently an open enrollment period).

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/pre-existing-conditions/ (The only exceptions are grandfathered plans, which can't apply to someone who doesn't currently have insurance.)
  • arditarose
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

I'm interested.

sedentary v. anaerobic v. aerobic; starch v. honey v. sugar? Do you mean this? Are you looking for activity and the reaction pre-during-post?

I think so. I guess I'm just confused about carbs/sugar in general. Sugar in bread vs. sugar in fruit.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited December 2015
    I have the same thing when I go crazy with sugar. I just always assumed it was due to the bloating putting pressure on nerves and making my skin more sensitive, because I retail fluid BAD when I overdo on sugar or carbs.
  • Lovee_Dove7

I'm interested.
    If you're interested, why aren't you tracking it?
    Hope you don't mind my saying that. I know you're shy.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2015

I'm interested.

They type of sugar (glucose, fructose, dextrose, lactose, maltose, etc...) will determine where it's being processed (intestines vs liver) and what it being accompanied by (aka fiber, etc) will determine the speed.

Here is an article that will discuss how sugars are digested and metabolized.
  • arditarose

I'm interested.
    If you're interested, why aren't you tracking it?
    Hope you don't mind my saying that. I know you're shy.

Because I just realized what the problem may be and though I don't track it daily I have looked and am for the most part under the goal suggested here daily.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

The problem with allergies is they get worse with continued exposure. If you are reacting to something and keep exposing yourself to it, it can become a deadly allergy.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    elphie754 wrote: »

The problem with allergies is they get worse with continued exposure. If you are reacting to something and keep exposing yourself to it, it can become a deadly allergy.

This is getting serious.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I would make a gynecological appointment at your County Health Center. It will be free if your income is low/none. They can do blood work if you state your symptoms.

A GYN deals with woman's reproductive health, not food issues.