I've been at it for 1.5 months and I've only lost 3 lbs

Options
13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I was plateau-ing as well until I went on the paleo diet. After that, the weight just kept dropping off.

Since she is losing, she hasn't plateaued. All diets depend upon caloric deficit for loss ... paleo, keto, vegan, atkins, twinkie, etc.

If you call that losing... that could be water weight fluctuations. I go up & down by a few pounds every day, but I still call it maintaining when my overall average stays within 2 lbs. of my starting weight. I drink a ton of water, so that's the ONLY reason I'm bringing up the water thing. It's obviously not the same for everyone.

And you don't have to cut calories if you cut out carbs entirely (which is hard).. I'm not super active by any means, and I've lost almost 60lbs eating the same amount of calories, but removing carbs and replacing them with lean meat & veggies. I do occasionally eat fruit, but in limited quantities.

To lose fat, you do need to cut calories. Claiming that what she sees might be water weight fluctuations then saying one doesn't need to cut calories if they cut carbs, which results in a water weight loss tied to the loss of stored glycogen is irony at its best. Thank you for the Sunday morning laugh.

No need to be rude.

Not saying for her it's water weight, just talking about myself. I personally go up and down each day, but at the end of the week I lose about 4-5lbs, and keep at that pace. The reason cutting carbs works for ME is because I have trouble digesting gluten, grains, sugars (fructose, lactose), and it creates bloating and slows my digestion down to a crawl. Of course I continue losing weight, as anyone would, with more fiber (in veggies) and a healthy digestive system. She made have food sensitivies that need to be dealt with that are causing her to lose so slowly. THAT was all I was getting at. Geez...

And the reason I said paleo, is because it cuts out a lot of the foods that can potentially cause bloating like legumes and gluten. Thus, that's why that diet works for ME. I'm simply suggesting it may work for her too. Also elimination diets can be amazing figuring out sensitivies as well- if that's a problem.

And I don't cut calories, I barely exercise (due to job), but I still lose weight. Maybe it's my metabolism, but as someone who was almost 200lbs and dropped 60 by diet alone... I found what works for ME.

Thank you, Peaceful. I appreciated your reply. Actually, you have addressed a worry I have. Sometimes I get so bloated after I eat that I literally look at least 3 months pregnant. I`ve been told it could be because I eat too fast, but sometimes I wonder if I have food sensitivities. I have actually thought about going Paleo. I have a friend that is on that diet and it has changed his life (physically and mentally).
    By the way, way to go on your weight loss!! That is amazing!! :)

Thank you my dear! You're absolutely beautiful by the way!! And I completely relate to your woes. I was sick for years not even knowing why, and even when I used to exercise more, I could not lose any weight. Years ago, I cut my calories to about 700-800 (with exercise and as a vegetarian) a day for a year, and the only thing I seemed to lose was hair because all that was was a starvation diet. You'll eventually lose weight that way, but that's not very healthy... Gradual weight loss is best, and sometimes all the body really needs is a healthier digestive system to process the good foods it's eating in a more efficient way. Plus, you may end up feeling better too, which was why I stuck with paleo. Plus, I can't take vitamins, so I have to supplement all of what I need through foods alone... so I can't whole heartedly tell you to try vegetarian (which is what made me lose the most weight) because it made me sick. I want you to be happy, healthy, and feeling fantastic... so find what works for you. Every body is different.
    I was plateau-ing as well until I went on the paleo diet. After that, the weight just kept dropping off.

Since she is losing, she hasn't plateaued. All diets depend upon caloric deficit for loss ... paleo, keto, vegan, atkins, twinkie, etc.

If you call that losing... that could be water weight fluctuations. I go up & down by a few pounds every day, but I still call it maintaining when my overall average stays within 2 lbs. of my starting weight. I drink a ton of water, so that's the ONLY reason I'm bringing up the water thing. It's obviously not the same for everyone.

And you don't have to cut calories if you cut out carbs entirely (which is hard).. I'm not super active by any means, and I've lost almost 60lbs eating the same amount of calories, but removing carbs and replacing them with lean meat & veggies. I do occasionally eat fruit, but in limited quantities.

To lose fat, you do need to cut calories. Claiming that what she sees might be water weight fluctuations then saying one doesn't need to cut calories if they cut carbs, which results in a water weight loss tied to the loss of stored glycogen is irony at its best. Thank you for the Sunday morning laugh.

No need to be rude.

Not saying for her it's water weight, just talking about myself. I personally go up and down each day, but at the end of the week I lose about 4-5lbs, and keep at that pace. The reason cutting carbs works for ME is because I have trouble digesting gluten, grains, sugars (fructose, lactose), and it creates bloating and slows my digestion down to a crawl. Of course I continue losing weight, as anyone would, with more fiber (in veggies) and a healthy digestive system. She made have food sensitivies that need to be dealt with that are causing her to lose so slowly. THAT was all I was getting at. Geez...

And the reason I said paleo, is because it cuts out a lot of the foods that can potentially cause bloating like legumes and gluten. Thus, that's why that diet works for ME. I'm simply suggesting it may work for her too. Also elimination diets can be amazing figuring out sensitivies as well- if that's a problem.

And I don't cut calories, I barely exercise (due to job), but I still lose weight. Maybe it's my metabolism, but as someone who was almost 200lbs and dropped 60 by diet alone... I found what works for ME.

YOU cut calories. It is that simple. Science trumps every time.

I ate 1200 before I went paleo, and I eat 1200 now. There is no difference except what I'm eating. I'm even less active than I was before, not to mention older... but digestive issues can be what's holding someone back from the last few pounds. Ask any dietician or gastroenterologist. I did. That's why I went on different elimination diets to find out what was hurting me. It helped.

Food type does not cause weight gain. Elimination diets are not designed to find out what food is making a person gain weight, but to find out what foods a person is sensitive or allergic to. Weight gain/loss comes down to calories in/calories out no matter what kind of food you eat.

However, I have no doubt that certain foods might trigger hunger in some people, therefore leading to an increase in calories without realizing it. :)

Please don't make me say why specifically that food types & digestion problems do cause weight in those with food intolerances... it's not due to food cravings, believe me. I'm starting to feel embarrassed just thinking about it, haha

I have food intolerance to lactose, soy, and overloads of caffeine. I've head all of these for years and it affected my weight none whatsoever. The only time I gained weight is when I ate too much, and lost when I ate too little. However, I am open minded and ask that your provide some studies backing up your claims.
  • PeacefulSeraph
    PeacefulSeraph Posts: 201 Member
    Options

No need to be rude.

Thank you, Peaceful. I appreciated your reply. Actually, you have addressed a worry I have. Sometimes I get so bloated after I eat that I literally look at least 3 months pregnant. I`ve been told it could be because I eat too fast, but sometimes I wonder if I have food sensitivities. I have actually thought about going Paleo. I have a friend that is on that diet and it has changed his life (physically and mentally).

Thank you my dear! You're absolutely beautiful by the way!! And I completely relate to your woes. I was sick for years not even knowing why, and even when I used to exercise more, I could not lose any weight. I cut my calories to about 700-800 (with exercise and as a vegetarian) a day for a year, and the only thing I seemed to lose was hair because all that was was a starvation diet. You'll eventually lose weight that way, but that's not very healthy... Gradual weight loss is best, and sometimes all the body really needs is a healthier digestive system to process the good foods it's eating in a more efficient way. Plus, you may end up feeling better too, which was why I stuck with paleo. Plus, I can't take vitamins, so I have to supplement all of what I need through foods alone... so I can't whole heartedly tell you to try vegetarian (which is what made me lose the most weight) because it made me sick. I want you to be happy, healthy, and feeling fantastic... so find what works for you. Every body is different.

No need to be rude.

I ate 1200 before I went paleo, and I eat 1200 now. There is no difference except what I'm eating. I'm even less active than I was before, not to mention older... but digestive issues can be what's holding someone back from the last few pounds. Ask any dietician or gastroenterologist. I did. That's why I went on different elimination diets to find out what was hurting me. It helped.

Science dictates either your activity increased (greater calories out) or your intake decreased (less calories in) ... I'd bet on the latter and inaccurate logging resulting in your flawed perception.

Science is correct. What you personally aren't factoring in is what's happening in the digestive system when you aren't processing food correctly... a rather rudimentary concept as to why one wouldn't lose weight through diet and exercise alone.

Plus, why are you being so condescending and judgemental? You don't see me attacking what works for you personally, and giving you a middle school science lesson in a pretentious attempt to belittle you.

You're the one making claims that counter science ... I'm making sure they don't go without correction so others don't believe the mistruths. I honestly do not care if you see it as condescending. If you weren't trying to claim you lost 60 pounds from a combination of reduced activity and identical intake ... an impossibility ... I wouldn't have to address you at all.

I never said ALL of the 60 lb weight loss was through my paleo diet. The last 15 were through paleo. I just didn't get into specifics at the time, but later said I lost the most weight going vegetarian on a reduced calorie diet. What I've said all along, is that I am CURRENTLY not cutting calories, or doing anything different than before and still losing weight. Perhaps you didn't read the other post I made.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No need to be rude.

Thank you my dear! You're absolutely beautiful by the way!! And I completely relate to your woes. I was sick for years not even knowing why, and even when I used to exercise more, I could not lose any weight. I cut my calories to about 700-800 (with exercise and as a vegetarian) a day for a year, and the only thing I seemed to lose was hair because all that was was a starvation diet. You'll eventually lose weight that way, but that's not very healthy... Gradual weight loss is best, and sometimes all the body really needs is a healthier digestive system to process the good foods it's eating in a more efficient way. Plus, you may end up feeling better too, which was why I stuck with paleo. Plus, I can't take vitamins, so I have to supplement all of what I need through foods alone... so I can't whole heartedly tell you to try vegetarian (which is what made me lose the most weight) because it made me sick. I want you to be happy, healthy, and feeling fantastic... so find what works for you. Every body is different.

No need to be rude.

Science dictates either your activity increased (greater calories out) or your intake decreased (less calories in) ... I'd bet on the latter and inaccurate logging resulting in your flawed perception.

Science is correct. What you personally aren't factoring in is what's happening in the digestive system when you aren't processing food correctly... a rather rudimentary concept as to why one wouldn't lose weight through diet and exercise alone.

Plus, why are you being so condescending and judgemental? You don't see me attacking what works for you personally, and giving you a middle school science lesson in a pretentious attempt to belittle you.

You're the one making claims that counter science ... I'm making sure they don't go without correction so others don't believe the mistruths. I honestly do not care if you see it as condescending. If you weren't trying to claim you lost 60 pounds from a combination of reduced activity and identical intake ... an impossibility ... I wouldn't have to address you at all.

I never said ALL of the 60 lb weight loss was through my paleo diet. The last 15 were through paleo. I just didn't get into specifics at the time, but later said I lost the most weight going vegetarian on a reduced calorie diet. What I've said all along, is that I am CURRENTLY not cutting calories, or doing anything different than before and still losing weight. Perhaps you didn't read the other post I made.

This only means you are still eating at a deficit and your maintenance calories are not correct. You might want to up the calories if you are trying to maintain.
  • PeacefulSeraph
    Options

No need to be rude.

No need to be rude.

This only means you are still eating at a deficit and your maintenance calories are not correct. You might want to up the calories if you are trying to maintain.

Barely one according to my bmi, but it's enough to lose slowly and healthily 1lb a week.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

No need to be rude.

No need to be rude.

You started with "I'm not super active by any means, and I've lost almost 60lbs eating the same amount of calories, but removing carbs and replacing them with lean meat & veggies " ... giving cutting carbs credit for weight loss while claiming you didn't change your caloric intake. Now, after hyping paleo, you're claiming that only 25% of your loss is from that dietary discipline.

The reality is that it is all due to CICO. Period. Something you finally conceded in this latest post when you admit to a "reduced calorie diet" after earlier claims of keeping your calories the same.
  • PeacefulSeraph
    Options

No need to be rude.

No need to be rude.

You started with "I'm not super active by any means, and I've lost almost 60lbs eating the same amount of calories, but removing carbs and replacing them with lean meat & veggies " ... giving cutting carbs credit for weight loss while claiming you didn't change your caloric intake. Now, after hyping paleo, you're claiming that only 25% of your loss is from that dietary discipline.

The reality is that it is all due to CICO. Period. Something you finally conceded in this latest post when you admit to a "reduced calorie diet" after earlier claims of keeping your calories the same.

Because for the last 3 years I have not reduced calorie intake but still continued to lose weight. Over 10 lbs thanks to removing the foods that were bothering me.
  • FunkyMonkey80
    FunkyMonkey80 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! You know what, I just looked over my diary for the past 2 weeks and I`ve actually always been a little bit over (sometimes a lot a bit) and my sugar is always over. I think sugar may be the main culprit. I now feel a little silly for having asked for advice. I think in my head I feel I am being healthier because I`m logging and exercising.. but that`s just not enough. Time to be more hard-assed! haha

Wonderful!

However, please keep in mind that sugar is never the culprit to not losing weight, or to weight gain, it's just part of the overall picture. If you want to cut back somewhere and you feel you are eating too many sugar foods to be healthy for you, then cutting back on those makes perfect sense. But, in general, sugary foods are just part of the overall picture.

ETA: I looked at your diary. I suggest really tightening that up by not using generic entries (cups, spoons, slices, small/medium/large) and find those entries that use weight. Choose the grams option, too, and do extra research to ensure you are choosing correct entries.

Also, those calorie burns- do you get them from a heart rate monitor or do you use an online calculator or numbers off gym machines?

K, thanks! I use what the treadmill tells me. I don't have a heart rate monitor.

• SLLRunner
    edited December 2015
    Options

No need to be rude.

No need to be rude.

Barely one according to my bmi, but it's enough to lose slowly and healthily 1lb a week.

But, no matter what other outside sources come into play, you are still eating at a deficit if you're losing. If that is your goal, great. If not, you need to raise your calories.

How many calories a day do you eat, by the way?
  • SLLRunner
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! You know what, I just looked over my diary for the past 2 weeks and I`ve actually always been a little bit over (sometimes a lot a bit) and my sugar is always over. I think sugar may be the main culprit. I now feel a little silly for having asked for advice. I think in my head I feel I am being healthier because I`m logging and exercising.. but that`s just not enough. Time to be more hard-assed! haha

Wonderful!

However, please keep in mind that sugar is never the culprit to not losing weight, or to weight gain, it's just part of the overall picture. If you want to cut back somewhere and you feel you are eating too many sugar foods to be healthy for you, then cutting back on those makes perfect sense. But, in general, sugary foods are just part of the overall picture.

ETA: I looked at your diary. I suggest really tightening that up by not using generic entries (cups, spoons, slices, small/medium/large) and find those entries that use weight. Choose the grams option, too, and do extra research to ensure you are choosing correct entries.

Also, those calorie burns- do you get them from a heart rate monitor or do you use an online calculator or numbers off gym machines?

K, thanks! I use what the treadmill tells me. I don't have a heart rate monitor.

Okay, only record and eat about 75% of those calories, get your logging under control, stick to your calorie goals, and you're good to go. :)
  • PeacefulSeraph
    edited December 2015
    Options

No need to be rude.

No need to be rude.

But, no matter what other outside sources come into play, you are still eating at a deficit if you're losing. If that is your goal, great. If not, you need to raise your calories.

1200 most days... but not during the holidays! Lol o:)
    (also sent you a PM to say what I meant before... sorry it was long winded)
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No need to be rude.

No need to be rude.

That's definitely a calorie deficit.
  • PeacefulSeraph
    Options

No need to be rude.

No need to be rude.

That's definitely a calorie deficit.

Yeah, I've always eaten like a bird... but I'm petite, so I don't need very much to gain honestly. I eat a cheeseburger and I'm up a dress size... *sigh*
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Barring a medical condition, there is no need for a special diet. Calories are what matters. Eat fewer than your body burns through normal activity and exercise, you lose weight. Eat more than your body burns, you gain. It comes down to a math formula.

Accurate tracking of one's intake is the easiest step. Weigh solids, measure liquids, account for everything you consume. 1,000 calories over on a day is enough to significantly cut into a weekly deficit when one has little to lose.

This !!

And for any newcomers or lurkers reading this thread- in order to lose weight you must be in a calorie deficit. Weight loss- calorie deficit.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    And you don't have to cut calories if you cut out carbs entirely (which is hard)..

And yet low carb forums across the WWW are full of long time low carbers who eat LC or VLC (e.g., 20 grams/day or even less in perpetuity) but can't lose weight unless they count calories, too. Go figure.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a little frustrated. I started at 135lb and am now around 131-132. Yes, I'm happy that I've lost some weight, but by now I should be under 130. I went from not going to the gym at all, to running at least 3 times a week for about 5km and I am eating much more consciously. Yes, there are days when I am over my allowed calorie intake, but for the most part I am meeting my goal or am under. I am on the "lose a pound a week" plan.
    What is going on??

I agree with what most everyone else has said, double check your measurements and weigh your food to make sure you are actually eating in a deficit. But I wanted to point out if you went from no physical activity to 9 miles a week of running, it's possible you are retaining water in order for your body to repair your muscles. That will mask any fat/weight loss you might have had in the same period. So you might just need to give it more time and stick with it to see the results of your hard work.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

No need to be rude.

Sure, that amount of bloat could indeed be caused by a food sensitivity and going Paleo would eliminate that common trigger, gluten. Paleo also eliminates a lot of other food you may not need to cut out. Other options are getting tested for sensitivities or doing a food elimination and challenge diet for a few weeks.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well 3500 calories equals a pound. So of youre over by 1000 one day a week you'd only lose 2/3 of a pound for that week. So youre not really eating to cause a rate of one pound weightloss per week. If you want that youre goig to have to tighten up on that 1000 every week.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    You might also be losing slowly because you're within a normal BMI for your height and already eating fairly close to maintenance. As others who have posted have advised, tighten on logging (that's always what I get told when I complain of plateau'ing). You might also want to readjust your goal and the speed that you want to attain it. As someone who is not in the overweight category, you're not going to lose lots of weight really fast. In fact, if your goal is to lose 17 lbs., at a start of 132-135, that would put you under 120, which is pretty slim at 5'4". You might find you look OK at 125 or even 128. You might also want to look at some NSVs, such as if your clothes are fitting better or you're getting more muscular, or some other way that will improve your body image. Your picture doesn't show a woman who looks pregnant or like a sausage.
  • PeacefulSeraph
    Options
    And you don't have to cut calories if you cut out carbs entirely (which is hard)..

And yet low carb forums across the WWW are full of long time low carbers who eat LC or VLC (e.g., 20 grams/day or even less in perpetuity) but can't lose weight unless they count calories, too. Go figure.

Eliminating sugars/carbs meant eliminating lactose, fructose, soy, potato, & gluten filled foods (& multiple others) which I had intolerances for- so I lost weight without cutting calories by "cutting carbs" instead. Perhaps I was too vague using blanket terms like "carbs" to describe the large (but not all encompassing) spectrum of carbohydrates I took issue with. I will try to be more specific in the future. Also, it might have been superficial weight, but a 10-30 pound loss is still a good loss.

Many people lose weight cutting out certain carbs (specifically bread, pasta, etc.) because they have a long list of ingredients of potentially offensive/common allergens that many allergy sufferers overlook because they are simply intolerances versus being life threatening.

For instance, I.B.S. symptoms can flare up from food sensitivities/allergies and cause you to gain weight. Cited here by Dr. Oz, but elsewhere if you look up I.B.S. (especially I.B.S.-C.).

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/anti-allergy-diet

Ultimately, people need to find what works for them personally. I can only make suggestions based on my own experiences. What worked for me may not work for everyone, but for some it might. I had almost given up losing weight until I realized my allergies/sensitivities were holding me back from those final pounds/inches. I wish someone would have suggested going "paleo" (or any low carb & more hypoallergenic diet for my specific issues) sooner & I'd have felt/looked better sooner.