Mommy Challenge (Closed Group)

Options

Replies

• nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Whats your workout schedule? i know as mommies you guys are as busy as me..its starting to get annoying that i cant schedule my workouts!!! i work 8-5...husband leaves the house at 530 am. i have 2 babies so i have to be home with them if he isnt. that cancels morning workouts. let me clarify that my issue is fitting in cardio. i am not concerned with strength training. i plan on starting back on ripped in 30 for that aspect at home. my plan is to wake up at 5 am and bust that out, but its not enough for me. i feel that i need cardio!! but when and where? i cant afford and i dont have room for a treadmill at the house. i hate the idea of going to gym after work because it takes away from my time with kids..i put them to bed at 830/9. i think that i am going to aim for 3 days of cardio tues-thurs from 8-9 at the gym in my community..this way i still have kid time. what do u guys think. jillian 5 days a week for 6 weeks and 3 days of cardio; is this enough? how much cardio should we have? so many questions!!

Hey, I have a similar problem... but I'm a single mom and I live with my sister and her husband who are the sitters for my 2 1/2 year old while I work during the day! When I get home, my sister needs her rest so my daughter is obviously with me. However, I need to work out! So most times I take her into my bedroom and give her an activity to do and I do the Cardio X workout from the P90X series. A lot of times, including last night, she threw a tantrum cause she didnt want me to exercise, she wanted me to play with her and kept finding all sorts of reasons and ways to interrupt me. I did not stop, I sort of ignored her and kept at it and thankfully, when she started up again, my sister (who is also an MFP member), came and took her outside!

Its really tough but I will not stop! My daughter will benefit more from me being healthy and around for a long time, than having me for that extra 45 minutes. I wanted to go to a gym but that is definitely out of the question... so this home workout (from my computer) is awesome and it fits me well! Good luck to you Toya and any other mom who is facing this challenge!
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    Hey,

I also have 2 little babes, so fitting in workout can be a huge challenge.

However, if you go to exercise.tv, they have a ton of shorter cardio workouts that are free. :)
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way, I feel extremely guilty not being home when I'm at work all day and may only see my son for a few hours before he goes to bed. I do my bootcamp classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5am. I was doing Jillian's workouts after he went to sleep around 9:00pm (two to three times per week). It can be a very long day but it's well worth it. On the weekend, we go to the beach together, swimming and playing with him is a great workout.

I will admit that this summer he is away with my mom for about a month and a half, summer school and summer camps in Miami, at least the good ones, are extremely expensive. I have for the first time since my son was born (he is almost five) joined a running group at 6:30pm twice per week. Once he returns from his summer vacation, I will be doing the running group on Saturday mornings --when my lil one sleeps.

TO tell you the truth my husband had to teach me that it's ok to have time for yourself, that I do not need to spend every free minute with him and/or my son. It truly is about quality time and not quantity. I have learned that by joining these community work out groups, my energy level and mood are a lot higher and better. When you think about it, Im doing all these great things not just for myself but for my family :)
  • MeliF
    MeliF Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with makeupartists about going for walks. My husband works for an NHL team so is BUSY October - April. When he is working (which is almost everyday), I do the treadmill after Brayden goes to bed. I know you don't have a treadmill so that won't help. But, when it's nice out (we live in MN) we go for really long walks - like 3 - 5 miles. We burn around 300-500 calories doing this!
    During the work week I take two 1 mile walks (or try to at least)!
    Finding the time to workout is HARD! Good luck!
  • MeliF
    MeliF Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Miami - that is awesome of your husband to be so supportive! A running group sounds like a great idea! Oh - I LOVE Miami by the way! I tell my husband at least once a month that we need to take a vacation there! :smile:
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way, I feel extremely guilty not being home when I'm at work all day and may only see my son for a few hours before he goes to bed. I do my bootcamp classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5am. I was doing Jillian's workouts after he went to sleep around 9:00pm (two to three times per week). It can be a very long day but it's well worth it. On the weekend, we go to the beach together, swimming and playing with him is a great workout.

I will admit that this summer he is away with my mom for about a month and a half, summer school and summer camps in Miami, at least the good ones, are extremely expensive. I have for the first time since my son was born (he is almost five) joined a running group at 6:30pm twice per week. Once he returns from his summer vacation, I will be doing the running group on Saturday mornings --when my lil one sleeps.

TO tell you the truth my husband had to teach me that it's ok to have time for yourself, that I do not need to spend every free minute with him and/or my son. It truly is about quality time and not quantity. I have learned that by joining these community work out groups, my energy level and mood are a lot higher and better. When you think about it, Im doing all these great things not just for myself but for my family :)

you are right; its hard; i feel so guilty when i am working out during times that i can be with them. If its before they wake up or after they go to sleep, i dont feel bad, their sleep; but if they are awake, i feel bad. ugh!!! im gonna work on it.
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i agree completely with what Miami wrote- You have to get over the guilt issue and take some time out for you to do cardio. you are INVESTING your time into something worthwhile. it would be different if you were out doing something that would not benefit you or him or any of your loved ones. you are getting healthy. i also started running with a group a few weeks ago and i love it. call your local gym and inquire ab running groups ( jogging/ running is the most effeicient cardio you can do- 3 times a week for 30 min or more...) where i live the shoe store Fleet Feet has running groups that meet. not sure if there is a cost though. also you might post on the boards if there are any people on mfp that might be intrested in starting a group in your area. i totally understand how you are feeling bc i am in the Exact same situation.
  • Amanda421
    Options

you are right; its hard; i feel so guilty when i am working out during times that i can be with them. If its before they wake up or after they go to sleep, i dont feel bad, their sleep; but if they are awake, i feel bad. ugh!!! im gonna work on it.

i have finally come to terms with that guilt, kind of. it is still in the back of my head though. some days i leave bf they wake up and come home and only have an hour or less before they go back to bed. :( makes me want to boo hoo right now. POOOO! but we have to think positive. hopefully to as they get a little older, they will be up a little later at night.
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. Finding the time to workout is really tough - you have to TAKE the time to workout! I just think of it as an extension of my workday. I use the elliptical (that I have at home), but I mostly do workout dvds. I put the baby in an entertainer/jumper/bouncer & put the 2-year old in the high chair, give them some toys/teether & try my best to work through the screaming lol. I know it sounds harsh, but I tried doing it the other way for about 3 months - only workout when they're sleeping. It did NOT work well, b/c it seems like one of them is ALWAYS awake. I feel like this is something that I am doing to be healthier for them as well as myself. The better that we, as moms, feel about ourselves will translate to being better wives/mommies b/c we're in a better mood for the rest of the day. In my opinion, taking that 30-60minutes for yourself will benefit your entire family b/c you will treat them better (more patience, less stressed, etc.) when you're feeling better about yourself. I also tried taking them for walks/jog so that I could "spend time with them while working out" and it's just too HOT now when I get home from work!! lol If that works for you, that would be a great compromise. I must admit that my husband is usually pretty supportive of my workouts too, so that is also very helpful. Remember, it does NOT make you a bad mommy b/c you want to take time for YOU to be healthy & fit! Good luck!!
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I must be wired different because I don't feel bad about taking time to work out when my daughter and I are at home. I am a single mother so there is no one else living with us to distract her and for the most part she doesn't need distracting.

I originally got my gym membership so I could work out and so my daughter could be in a daycare setting, during the day she's with her grandma, and I wanted her to play with other kids her own age. Now that I've suspended my membership we either go for walks or I'll do a DVD after dinner. She'll either play or stand there and try to do the workout with me (its really sweet). I guess I figure I'm leading by example and that hopefully my daughter will follow in my footsteps. After my workout there is plenty of time for us to read, play or just hang out.

Just because we're mommies doesn't mean we have to stop being ourselves. That being said I understand there are only so many hours in a day. But if you make your workout count and make time with your kids count - it all works out in the end.
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    I must be wired different because I don't feel bad about taking time to work out when my daughter and I are at home. I am a single mother so there is no one else living with us to distract her and for the most part she doesn't need distracting.

I originally got my gym membership so I could work out and so my daughter could be in a daycare setting, during the day she's with her grandma, and I wanted her to play with other kids her own age. Now that I've suspended my membership we either go for walks or I'll do a DVD after dinner. She'll either play or stand there and try to do the workout with me (its really sweet). I guess I figure I'm leading by example and that hopefully my daughter will follow in my footsteps. After my workout there is plenty of time for us to read, play or just hang out.

Just because we're mommies doesn't mean we have to stop being ourselves. That being said I understand there are only so many hours in a day. But if you make your workout count and make time with your kids count - it all works out in the end.

well said :smile: you all are right..im going to get it done..just feel bad about it at times...but u are right...and its only an hour.
  • miami_mimi
    Options

I agree with this 100% ... it took me a while to get there, but I truly get it now :) to tell you the truth, I have one son and I am a only child raised by a single mother, I felt like I wanted to be there for everything, because my mom had to make tough choices and miss out on a lot of stuff... but I have found a happy medium now :)

Mommies, let's just give ourselves a well deserved pad on the back for all our hard work and reward ourselves with a 'me' hour to do cardio or a DVD or go for a walk, whatever it takes :)
  • miami_mimi
    Options
    Miami - that is awesome of your husband to be so supportive! A running group sounds like a great idea! Oh - I LOVE Miami by the way! I tell my husband at least once a month that we need to take a vacation there! :smile:

The weather is amazing and we go to the beach almost every weekend :) keep me posted if you make it down here
  • Amanda421
    Options

Mommies, let's just give ourselves a well deserved pad on the back for all our hard work and reward ourselves with a 'me' hour to do cardio or a DVD or go for a walk, whatever it takes :)

can i just take a nap instead???? i deserve a nap! :):)
  • miami_mimi
    Options

can i just take a nap instead???? i deserve a nap! :):)

LOL LOL LOL hey if thats what you need to do with your 'me' hour then go right ahead... im always in need of a nap :)
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Here's some things us mommies can do and even the kids can, if they are older :)
    Run/walk at least 30 minutes daily and at least 3x a week.
    Crunches are the best tummy tuck in the world. No need for the ab lounger or tv marketable equiptment. It does it for you.
    Push ups come in many ways. (wide, narrow, wall, declined, diamond, jumping pushups, one hand)
    Pull ups (when a sturdy bar is available)
    calf raises for 5 minutes without stopping
    wall squats (you know, put your back against a wall, hands out in front of you and squat and sit)
    Jumping jacks!! (whoa, did I really just say Jumping jacks? yes jumping jacks. This is probably the best cardio beside jump rope that you can do. How bout start at 10 jumping jacks at three count and work your way up to 100 3 count in a month. Your legs and body will feel the burn!)
    Leg lifts ( Lay on that back and lift thoes legs 6 inches)
    star screamers (I bet you are like "What in the world is that?" well run in place, drop to the deck and do a push up, come up very quick to your feet and jump as high as you can, spreading your feet and hands to symbolize a star.)
  • miami_mimi
    Options
    @ Reyna99, these tips sound awesome, love the star screamers idea!:drinker:
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have the p90x dvd's and try to do one every single morning, and I try to do ab-ripper x every other day before bed. Most of the time I can't get through the whole workout without my kids interrupting, but I figure 30 or 35 min is better than none. And I'm working on a goal now to go back and finish the DVD at some point during the day if I get interrupted. Luckily today they were cooperative and I got through all of it just fine! MOST days are not like this.

I love to take walks with the kids when it's nice and we're starting to check out new parks in the area. New trails and new playgrounds keep my toddler happy. And my 10 month old just goes along for the ride in the stroller. I'm not a runner, I've never been good at jogging for long periods of time, outside or on a treadmill. I think I burn way more calories doing Kenpo or Cardio-x anyway, and these are way more fun! My toddler likes to do them with me, which is also entertaining. Have you ever watched a three year old try to do jumping jacks?! LOL
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My toddler likes to do them with me, which is also entertaining. Have you ever watched a three year old try to do jumping jacks?! LOL

hehehehe.. yes I have! lol.. My little girl is 2yrs 8mths and when she is not screaming, she would actually join in while I'm doing my Cardio X.. She tries to do jumping jacks and "wacky jacks" and its hilarious... she gets the "upward dog sun salutation" very well though... lol.. I am laughing right now at my office and people are staring! heheheheh..
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    Mommies!! I think Insanity my be my answer...i can wake up at 5am to do it while kids are still sleep and unlike Ripped in 30 days its longer so i wont feel that i need that extra push.....im thinking of doing it starting monday!!! nervous and excited!!