Whats your oupinion on National Don't wear a Bra Day?

Options

Replies

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    If we can do this.....why not Nation ED day.....erectial dysfunction day.....let it all hang out.....nah.....no one would have an issue with that now would they!!!!!! Big ones, small ones...thick ones, thin ones......I don't know who comes up with all these different ways to show support for cancer........if commando boobs in white tees is the only way to raise funds and awareness I think its time to hire a new PR team.

I'm staying at home in my room on National ED Day. And I agree with you on a new PR team.
  • brandialman
    Options
    I have no desire to have black eyes! LOL
  • mommared53
    Options
    I thought we were here for support! :)

I'm here for support. I support my boobs by wearing a bra. :bigsmile:
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just boobs people!
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You know I was just thinking about another reason this day is so important, albeit the way they are putting it out there is a bit crass. That reason is my best friend. She was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 28 and underwent chemo, radiation and had a double mastectomy. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is basically where they remove your breasts and sew you back up. I bet she wishes like hell she could wear a bra everyday. But you know what? She can't wear one and she won't be able to for a long time still. I think I am definitely participating in this day so i can know what it feels like to have people stare at my chest and wonder whats going on, then maybe I will know slightly and only ever slightly how she must feel.

Exactly!
  • MissConfidence
    Options
    Lots of ladies here are talking about how uncomfortable they would feel if they went one day without a bra (and believe me, I understand this), but how do you think having breast cancer feels?
  • skinnydaydreams
    Options
    My boobs are small, so no problem if I don't wear a bra
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I don't think I need to go with out a bra to show I support breast cancer. I would much rather do something really meaningful like donate money to the cause, give time to help register women at the clinic that does free mammograms for those who can't afford it, make a meal for someone recovering from breast cancer surgery.

My aunt passed away from complications from breast cancer, she battled it for more than 30 years.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I don't think I need to go with out a bra to show I support breast cancer. I would much rather do something really meaningful like donate money to the cause, give time to help register women at the clinic that does free mammograms for those who can't afford it, make a meal for someone recovering from breast cancer surgery.

My aunt passed away from complications from breast cancer, she battled it for more than 30 years.

In all seriousness I completely agree with you. There are so many more effective ways to provide support and awareness for breast cancer without going braless.
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome!!
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    "But seriously, is this going a little too far? This day we will be flinging our boobs around and the next day we will be complaining that men are staring at our boobs and it's harassment. "

I'm not sure I have an opinion on the whole event, I just wanted to point out that even if women fling their boobs about, they can still complain about being harassed. A woman should never be harassed, no matter what she is wearing. Sorry if this comes off as pushy, it's just something that's very important to me!

Sorry, but men are visually oriented. If we're putting our boobs out there, and expecting them not to look, that's harassment on our part.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Lots of ladies here are talking about how uncomfortable they would feel if they went one day without a bra (and believe me, I understand this), but how do you think having breast cancer feels?

But how does a bunch of other people being uncomfortable (and in some cases completely incapacitated) for a day help that?
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    "But seriously, is this going a little too far? This day we will be flinging our boobs around and the next day we will be complaining that men are staring at our boobs and it's harassment. "

I'm not sure I have an opinion on the whole event, I just wanted to point out that even if women fling their boobs about, they can still complain about being harassed. A woman should never be harassed, no matter what she is wearing. Sorry if this comes off as pushy, it's just something that's very important to me!

Sorry, but men are visually oriented. If we're putting our boobs out there, and expecting them not to look, that's harassment on our part.

Thank you.

In all seriousness, I know harrassment very well. But you can't walk around with your boobs hanging out in a society where it is not a norm and expect it to go over without at nich. No, nobody deserves to be harrassed, but nobody needs to see your boobs either. If I walk around with a new hair do, people will notice and comment. If one day I walk around with no bra in a white t-shirt, people will notice and comment. We expect our new do to be noticed and commented on good or bad. So if your showing your boobs, expect the same thing. Only reason it's considered harrassment is because it's boobs which is why they are expected to be covered anyways.

OK, back to the laughter...............
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options

In all seriousness I completely agree with you. There are so many more effective ways to provide support and awareness for breast cancer without going braless.

Agreed.
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm......... I like wearing a bra lol especially with a D cup. :flowerforyou:
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

But how does a bunch of other people being uncomfortable (and in some cases completely incapacitated) for a day help that?

I don't think the point is to find a cure or make breast cancer all better. It is show solidarity and sympathy and even an attempt at empathy with women who have suffered from this horrible disease. yes there are better ways to cure cancer, but can you think of a better way to try and understand what a woman with breast cancer has to endure. How can we truly provide holistic support, not just financial, if we don't even understand what it feels like to be in their shoes. Of course wearing pink is a great way to show support and encouragement but so is this way, on what I feel to be an even deeper level.

I am disappointed in the way they are advertising it but I think that despite the advertising the heart of the concept is real and significant. As far as harassment goes, so what. I get harassed for being fat. When my friend who had a double mastectomy was bald she got strange looks. I decided to wear a bandana with her one day and I was shocked at all the stares I got and they way people treated me. It really made me understand on some level what she was going through. She actually cried and thanked me because it made her feel not so alone. Just like not being able to wear a bra would do. No one will treat you differently for wearing pink so how can you even come close to understanding what its like. Of course I am also all for wearing pink! I guess you just have to do what you feel is best and only take it so far as you feel comfortable. I just want to say that walking a mile in someone elses shoes can make a big difference. It could be life changing.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    OMG, I have had MANY nightmares about being in public w/o a bra -- very scary!!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    What are you guys talking about? What is this "Breast Cancer" of which you speak? I'm not aware of it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye.
  • sweet_t2483
    sweet_t2483 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think the whole purpose of this is to have fun and bring another level to awareness. It's making a statement while getting others involved one way or the other. It's all about garnering attention--any publicity is good publicity. If you don't agree with it, keep the girls locked up, if you want to have fun with it let them fly. It's really no big deal one way or the other.